PDA

View Full Version : Life A Question For Mr. Frankie.

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I was going to PM this interrogatory to Mr. Frankie, then I decided that there might be some other Planeteers interested in the answer. Or, if Mr. Frankie doesn't know the answer, we can all make fun of him and stuff.

So, here's the question ... Mr. Frankie, you are familiar with the ways and doings of the Middle East and I was wondering if Arab peeps like Rock & Roll music? I assume that fundamentalist Islam would likely prohibit Rock & Roll and might saw the very tittaws off anyone who listened to it, but then again, maybe not. Plus, there are some countries that are more liberal and seem to enjoy some aspects of Western culture. So, do peeps there like Rock & Roll?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
My understanding is that for the most part they hate it. I mean, they consider it torture to have to listen to it.

DeezNutz
02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Hip hop is more the flava of choice.

Phobia
02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
They feel about Rock & Roll how I feel about Rap. They want to see Steven Tyler tortured by Chinese experts in their field.

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
My understanding is that for the most part they hate it. I mean, they consider it torture to have to listen to it.

Britney Spears, maybe. But, I would think that some of them would enjoy bands like Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel and things like that, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts. Or, maybe 50s style stuff.

FAX

Bugeater
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
They feel about Rock & Roll how I feel about Rap. They want to see Steven Tyler tortured by Chinese experts in their field.
I would be in favor of that as well.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Britney Spears, maybe. But, I would think that some of them would enjoy bands like Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel and things like that, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts. Or, maybe 50s style stuff.

FAX

At least System of a Down. I mean, they're Armanian. Close enough? No?

Rain Man
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Lionel Ritchie is quite popular there, I hear.

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, none of you guys are Mr. Frankie so I'm awaiting word from the expert.

If they don't like it and, as you say, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts, they actually consider it torturous, I think that would be very interesting.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, none of you guys are Mr. Frankie so I'm awaiting word from the expert.

If they don't like it and, as you say, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts, they actually consider it torturous, I think that would be very interesting.

FAX

Interesting enough to drive through the streets of Tehran in a VW hippy van playing Metallica through a loud speaker with an American flag flying on the antenna?

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Please try to refrain from getting my thread sent to DC, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts. I can't go over there anymore.

FAX

Rain Man
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
I guess FAX doesn't respect my Ph.D. dissertation on the impact of Creedence Clearwater Revival on the Iranian Revolution.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
I guess FAX doesn't respect my Ph.D. dissertation on the impact of Creedence Clearwater Revival on the Iranian Revolution.

Fax ain't no fortunate son.

Phobia
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Frankie lies sometimes. He can't be trusted.

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Very funny, Mr. Rain Man. Everybody knows you can't do the Pony while wearing an Aba.

FAX

ClevelandBronco
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I've heard some fantastic Iranian covers of rock classics on NPR. Totally different rhythmic sensibilities.

Rain Man
02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
If you don't want to read the whole dissertation, I can offer my central premise, which was that the Revolution started when the Ayatollah was sitting in Paris at a sidewalk cafe. He heard a Creedence Clearwater Revival song on the radio and it inspired him to start the revolution.

According to my theory, the song was "Who'll Stop The Reign".

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I've heard some fantastic Iranian covers of rock classics on NPR. Totally different rhythmic sensibilities.

Fascinating. One would think that the rhythms would be different. I think (although, not certain) that the Middle East cultures use quarter tones, as well. That's something that sounds very strange to our ears. Maybe that's why they wouldn't like the Stones.

Where is Mr. Frankie?

FAX

FAX
02-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Awesome, Mr. Rain Man. Although, I thought you were going to say, "Sunni Q".

FAX

ClevelandBronco
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
"Who'll Stop The Reign".

"Sunni Q".

I joined this site years ago just to see this exchange.

lazepoo
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
In all seriousness, I remember seeing something hyping a documentary about the only metal band in Iraq a few years ago. They feared for their lives and whatnot due to the culture not being receptive to american style metal. That's about the extent of my knowledge on Middle Eastern musical preference, though.

FAX
02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
In all seriousness, I remember seeing something hyping a documentary about the only metal band in Iraq a few years ago. They feared for their lives and whatnot due to the culture not being receptive to american style metal. That's about the extent of my knowledge on Middle Eastern musical preference, though.

Thanks, Mr. lazepoo. Dissertation or no, that's a whole lot more than Mr. Rain Man knows. His theory that the rise in fundamentalist Islam during the Carter years was tied to the Ayatollah's misinterpretation of Credence's cover of Orbison's classic song, "Ooby Dubai" is questionable at best.

FAX

SLAG
02-19-2009, 12:54 AM
It honestly depends where in the Middle east you are..

In Iraq - Saudi Arabia - Qutar - Oman... you will find the most restrictions and most distain for it.

I was in Amman Jordan for 3 weeks and Heard many Cab Drivers listen to Rap and Rock and roll - there were 2 English Radio Stations I Could even pick up a boot leg Slim Shady Tape/CD if I needed
Damascus was not quite as free but a much better town over all rather than Amman

FAX
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM

In Iraq - Saudi Arabia - Qutar - Oman... you will find the most restrictions and most distain for it.

I was in Amman Jordan for 3 weeks and Heard many Cab Drivers listen to Rap and Rock and roll - there were 2 English Radio Stations I Could even pick up a boot leg Slim Shady Tape/CD if I needed
Damascus was not quite as free but a much better town over all rather than Amman

So, am I correct in assuming Mr. SLAG, that it is your opinion the Arab peeps would probably like Rock & Roll, but in some countries it isn't available to them?

FAX

Phobia
02-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Kuwait is somewhat Westernized. While many of their young girls still cover their faces, blue jeans are not uncommon for the female persuasion on the streets. I presume Iran is somewhat different though. Honestly, Kuwait City was thrashed for obvious reasons while I was there in 91 but it wasn't all that unlike an ethnic portion of a major city in the States.

SLAG
02-19-2009, 01:39 AM
So, am I correct in assuming Mr. SLAG, that it is your opinion the Arab peeps would probably like Rock & Roll, but in some countries it isn't available to them?

FAX

You got it

FAX
02-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks, Mr. SLAG.

Where is Mr. Frankie? I hope I haven't offended him in some way with this thread.

FAX

Valiant
02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
I was going to PM this interrogatory to Mr. Frankie, then I decided that there might be some other Planeteers interested in the answer. Or, if Mr. Frankie doesn't know the answer, we can all make fun of him and stuff.

So, here's the question ... Mr. Frankie, you are familiar with the ways and doings of the Middle East and I was wondering if Arab peeps like Rock & Roll music? I assume that fundamentalist Islam would likely prohibit Rock & Roll and might saw the very tittaws off anyone who listened to it, but then again, maybe not. Plus, there are some countries that are more liberal and seem to enjoy some aspects of Western culture. So, do peeps there like Rock & Roll?

FAX

In public they hate it..

Move here or away from persecution they like it..

Fritz88
02-19-2009, 04:38 AM

FAX

Interesting. What makes Mr. Frankie an authority in Middle East and Arab issues?

fundamentalist Islam would likely prohibit Rock & Roll

It's not exclusive to Rock and Roll, it's to all kinds of Music.

However...
In every Arab country, there are loads of Arab Rock and Roll bands. They may not play them in the Radio or TV because most of the share goes to Pop and Hip Hop. MTV Arabia was launched recently and it is only playing Pop and Hip Hop.

Arab countries that are embracing western cultures fall under the ones that express interest in Hip hop and Pop more than Rock and Roll. But if you find an Arab who likes Rock and Roll, then be sure that he's hard core at it :).

Fairplay
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I have a very good lady friend from that area, she likes Bryan Adams music.

Fairplay
02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
American indians love this song.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vqcM5lVoteQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vqcM5lVoteQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BigRedChief
02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I lived and traveled in the middle east for a year and a half. Sure, there are some rock and roll clubs around but they mainly cater to westerners and those Arabs(mainly men) who want to hang with westerners.

But mainly the flavor of music that orginated in the west thats most popular in in the middle east is pop and light rock and more recently rap.

I once saw Dire Straits with 500,000 people in Jerusalem.

Fairplay
02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Little children don't like this video.

Parental guidance with kiddies please.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aR8KGxk0CXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aR8KGxk0CXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Manila-Chief
02-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Often times, in many countries, the cab drive will try to have a radio station on or play music that they think the passenger will like. Doesn't mean they like it. They are just trying to help their business.

SLAG
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Often times, in many countries, the cab drive will try to have a radio station on or play music that they think the passenger will like. Doesn't mean they like it. They are just trying to help their business.

sounds like a good business move to me

RJ
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Think of the Middle East as a Footloose re-make waiting to happen.

I'll betcha there's some toe tapping going on beneath those burkhas.

I also hear they're nekkid under there.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Didn't Osama Bin Laden have like a huge thing for Whitney Houston? Not rock, I know, but odd.

Frankie
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM

FAX
Well Mr. FAX, in the pre-revolutionary Iran that I grew up in we generally had an eclectic taste for music. So within the following general answer I hope you will find yours. A typical Iranian teenager (my peer group) enjoyed mostly music ranging from Iranian pop to European pop. As for the American/British music which included Rock & Roll, we all had huge collections of 45s. My own included a lot of 50s and 60s pop and Rock, as well as the blues, etc. We loved Ray Charles and I purchased any new Aretha Franklin without even pre-listening. I also had a lot of Beatles, the Mamas and the Papas, Rolling Stones, and (yes) the Monkees as well as Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Now Iran is not an Arab country but in many of the more modern ones, from all indications, this was the norm as well. Now fast forward to today’s Iran. It’s clear to me (as a more interested observer) that today’s Iranian teens and their parents (teens of my generation) have maintained the same tastes and habits in their music preferences. In other words, “Nothing has changed.” Yes the regime forces people into more restrictions, but people still have their collections of western music and movies. Only in a more discreet manner. Religious fundamentalism by its nature is usually against freer forms of expression. But people still do what they’ll do. The answer, then, is generally YES, depending on the societal upbringing of certain Middle Eastern countries’ middle class culture. Some, like Saudi Arabia, I’m sure, lag in that area more than say Iran, Syria or Lebanon, but Rock & Roll is alive and well in the Middle East.