PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft What makes a good QB?

MahiMike
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
What makes a good QB?

ok, I was gonna reserve this for the draft but since we can't stop talking about QB's and the combine is happening, I thought I'd throw this out there for discussion...

What makes a good QB?

This is kinda like asking, "What makes a good Miss America?". In a way, they're exactly the same. They're both beauty contests in their own context. And, much like the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", multiple men can look at women and pick out totally different favorites. Why? It's about the body parts baby! Some guys like boobs, some legs, some eyes, etc.

The same deal holds true for QB's. Some think the arm is the only body part needed. They can point to Marino in his last days being wheeled out on a cart and the guy kept on winging it. Those folks would have a good argument, I suppose. But there are many other body parts to consider. And just like Miss America, they too have a question and answer section at the combine. The NFL even added a cute little IQ test called the Wunderlick (let's see Miss South Carolina take on that thing!).

So without further ado, I'd like to break down those aforementioned body parts and explain how I see them fitting into the overall product known as the NFL QB. I've ranked them in the order I think are most important.

#1 - BRAINS:

The position of NFL Quarterback is the most mentally demanding in all of (American) sports. It's basically the combination of a major league pitcher and manager. Not only does he have to hurl the ball, he has to know where the other 21 players on the field are located. He has to memorize 100's of plays and adjust them at the drop of a hat. He also must know where his teammates are supposed to be and lead them accordingly. Basically, the hurling of the ball is secondary (or even tertiary in my rankings). This is not a position for dummies. If you're uncertain, see Vince Young's Wunderlick score.

#2 - EYES:

The eyes are an overlooked body part but to me the 2nd most important one. I'm not just talking about their 20/20 vision here but the quickness of their eyes. It truly amazes me how these guys can see 40 yards down field with 20 guys in front of them and can hit a rabbit running thru a hole. A QB can't throw what he can't see. Watching the superbowl, I noticed how both Roethlisberger and Warner had incredible eyesight. Both of them made throws that couldn't even be seen by most people.
The final throw of the game showed that Ben has eyes as big as his helmet.

#3 - ARM:

Ah yes. The all important arm. I'm sure it's #1 on many folk's list. Kinda hard to play the position without one of these. It is indeed a thing of beauty. Put an Under Armour shirt on one and it's just like the Miss America bikini contest. Truly the sexiest of the body parts for an NFL fan.

There are 2 measurements of an arm; strength and accuracy. Most guys have one or the other. The ones that have both – watch out! I believe a strong, accurate arm is like speed. It's either God-given or not. As many passes as these guys have thrown since they were in Pop Warner, they're not getting any stronger or any more accurate than when they were 12. For this reason, I've ranked it #3. Sure, it's important but it's really not that difficult to be strong and/or accurate because it's not something you can practice and get better at. Hell, I even won football tickets once for throwing a football thru a hole from 20 yards out. But you don't see me playing on Sundays. However, while the arm is overrated, it still justifies the #3 slot.

#4 - LEGS:

A Quarterback doesn't need to possess 4.5 speed (though it doesn't hurt). The legs just have to move quick enough to avoid a rush. That's easier said than done, of course. You really don't want a Michael Vick guy that runs too much. But you do need to make the defense respect your scrambling abilities. The legs keep them guessing. Actually, the best guys at this are the ones that played flag football. They have to scramble to avoid a rush without blockers and get the pass off within 7 seconds. Only the ones with nifty legwork can do that.

BONUS: As a bonus to this body part, it determines the height of the QB. Seeing over those big uglies makes it easier to throw. That's why it ranks above the next 2 body parts.

#5 - INTANGIBLES:

Of all the body parts listed here, Joe Montana lacked in most of them. However, he excelled so much in this one aspect that he was able to overcome these obstacles. There's only one Joe, but there have been some QB's that made their living off of this one aspect. I can also mention Jim McMahon with the Bears, Doug Flutie, and Trent Green. These guys were all average athletes that excelled by will and determination. For whatever reason, they were winners.

#6 - HANDS:

Another overlooked body part by many. The Miss America equivalent to the calf muscle. But think about it. How many QB's have had hands that were too small? I haven't seen them up close, but I'd venture to guess that Dave Krieg had really small hands for a QB. Why else would he have led the league in fumbles? Then look at Brett Favre. The dude’s hands are massive! He makes a football look like a softball. He can grip it even when wet with no problems.

Well, that’s my take on the subject. What’s your rankings?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
The ability to hand off behind a line of 5 first round draft picks.

CoMoChief
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
You should ask Mecca, he knows everything on what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL and why we should take Sanchez with the 3rd overall pick.

DeezNutz
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
A talented fullback.

Brock
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
You should ask Mecca, he knows everything on what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL and why we should take Sanchez with the 3rd overall pick.

You seem to know a lot about it yourself.

Pioli Zombie
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Just take Drew Bledsoe. He is everything a chiefs qb should be per Mecca.
Posted via Mobile Device

afchiefs
02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
SuperBowl rings :wayne:

Cheater5
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I guess for my $$ the most important aspect= Leadership. Take charge of the huddle and as one of, if not THE most high profile player, set the tone for the team.
Ryan Leaf had all the tangibles, and he failed miserably. Michael Vick is a phenominal athlete who was a lot of fun to watch- but dumb as a rat, and displayed very little leadership.
Terry Bradshaw was a leader, but not a super-sound technician with all the tangible qualities. Joe Montana same-same. Lenny Dawson was a re-tread who didn't live up to his #1 draft status until he caught on as the leader of the new Texans/Chiefs franchise.
Bottom line, when its 4th QTR, and you're down by 4 points with two minutes to go, the dudes in the huddle want to look into the eyes of a poised and confident leader that they believe in.

CoMoChief
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
You seem to know a lot about it yourself.

I know hes not worth a 3rd overall pick.

Brock
02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I know hes not worth a 3rd overall pick.

In your opinion.

Chiefnj2
02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
What makes a good QB? I don't know. But, I do know what makes a great QB - overcoming the obstacle of playing on a talent deprived USC team to become the greatest one year starter that college has ever seen. Ever. Seen.

When Sanchez drops back he is like a chimp on xanax. Opposing D's don't know what to do. Will he throw it with pin-point accuracy 40 yards down the field? Will he look off the deep receiver and hit the middle pattern for some YAC? Will he simply place the football down and bite the hands and face off of the nearest defensive end? Nobody knows. That's why he's so dangerous.

Brock
02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I think you have him mixed up with Curry, who's an amalgamation of Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, and Godzilla.

NickAthanFan
02-20-2009, 04:26 PM
A noodle arm and only being able to operate from the spread.

Deberg_1990
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
QB rating

Rigodan
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Knowledge of the pistol offense is a must.

AndChiefs
02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
big toe...if you don't have a strong big toe to push off of...all the rest is moot.

Pioli Zombie
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I guess for my $$ the most important aspect= Leadership. Take charge of the huddle and as one of, if not THE most high profile player, set the tone for the team.
Ryan Leaf had all the tangibles, and he failed miserably. Michael Vick is a phenominal athlete who was a lot of fun to watch- but dumb as a rat, and displayed very little leadership.
Terry Bradshaw was a leader, but not a super-sound technician with all the tangible qualities. Joe Montana same-same. Lenny Dawson was a re-tread who didn't live up to his #1 draft status until he caught on as the leader of the new Texans/Chiefs franchise.
Bottom line, when its 4th QTR, and you're down by 4 points with two minutes to go, the dudes in the huddle want to look into the eyes of a poised and confident leader that they believe in.

and that sure wasnt Bledsoe, Mecca.

Super Bowl 36

Bledsoe: Im ready coach, can I go in?

Belichick: No

Bledsoe : Please, I want to!

Belichick : No

Bledsoe : But ive passed for all those yards

Bledsoe: You are a liar.

Bledsoe : Well im not going to go to the parade then. Hmmmph!

rad
02-20-2009, 06:13 PM
The taint.

doomy3
02-20-2009, 06:16 PM
What makes a good QB? I don't know. But, I do know what makes a great QB - overcoming the obstacle of playing on a talent deprived USC team to become the greatest one year starter that college has ever seen. Ever. Seen.

When Sanchez drops back he is like a chimp on xanax. Opposing D's don't know what to do. Will he throw it with pin-point accuracy 40 yards down the field? Will he look off the deep receiver and hit the middle pattern for some YAC? Will he simply place the football down and bite the hands and face off of the nearest defensive end? Nobody knows. That's why he's so dangerous.

ROFL

Pioli Zombie
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
USC is an overated program. They suck monkeys.

Hootie
02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
chiseled looks

JuicesFlowing
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Being able to fake out the cameraman and half of America with a play action fake.

notorious
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Being able to fake out the cameraman and half of America with a play action fake.

Deberg? He was money on play-action.

Boon
02-20-2009, 09:50 PM
A nutsack.

T-post Tom
02-20-2009, 09:57 PM
THIS:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6tpo3KxOhVo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6tpo3KxOhVo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
The right kind of shoes help too! :thumb:

FAX
02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Excellent question. Here are just a few of the things that I believe a great quarterback must have, Mr. MahiMike.

1. Lungs. The great quarterback must have lungs in order to take in the air used to bark out signals later.

2. Eyesight. The great quarterback must have eyesight. You will find very few great, blind quarterbacks.

3. Bald Arms. The great quarterback must have bald arms to minimize wind resistance when throwing the pass.

4. Razor. The great quarterback must have a razor in case his arms are not bald.

5. Big Feet. The great quarterback must have big feet so as not to topple over in the pocket.

6. Medium Sized Pecker. The great quarterback must have a medium sized pecker. No real reason, they just do.

7. Extra Underwear. The great quarterback must have extra underwear for emergency use after being knocked into next week by the great 330 pound defensive tackle.

8. Loves Dogs. The great quarterback loves dogs. But if he doesn't, the great quarterback must have really good friends who won't squeal to the cops.

9. Attached Ear Lobes. The great quarterback must have attached ear lobes so that, when donning the helmet, they don't flap over his ear canal preventing the great quarterback from hearing the signal calls.

10. Good Cell Service. The great quarterback must have good cell service in order to receive calls from his agent, mother, and Las Vegas bookie.

11. Fluid Hips. The great quarterback must have fluid hips to compensate for the great quarterback's medium-sized pecker.

FAX

milkman
02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Personally, I believe that intelligence, maturity, posie and composure all falll into the intangibles category.

All things that can't be quantified.

I think intangibles are far and away the most imprtant qualities.

Legs are far and away the least important.

notorious
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Excellent question. Here are just a few of the things that I believe a great quarterback must have, Mr. MahiMike.

1. Lungs. The great quarterback must have lungs in order to take in the air used to bark out signals later.

2. Eyesight. The great quarterback must have eyesight. You will find very few great, blind quarterbacks.

3. Bald Arms. The great quarterback must have bald arms to minimize wind resistance when throwing the pass.

4. Razor. The great quarterback must have a razor in case his arms are not bald.

5. Big Feet. The great quarterback must have big feet so as not to topple over in the pocket.

6. Medium Sized Pecker. The great quarterback must have a medium sized pecker. No real reason, they just do.

7. Extra Underwear. The great quarterback must have extra underwear for emergency use after being knocked into next week by the great 330 pound defensive tackle.

8. Loves Dogs. The great quarterback loves dogs. But if he doesn't, the great quarterback must have really good friends who won't squeal to the cops.

9. Attached Ear Lobes. The great quarterback must have attached ear lobes so that, when donning the helmet, they don't flap over his ear canal preventing the great quarterback from hearing the signal calls.

10. Good Cell Service. The great quarterback must have good cell service in order to receive calls from his agent, mother, and Las Vegas bookie.

11. Fluid Hips. The great quarterback must have fluid hips to compensate for the great quarterback's medium-sized pecker.

FAX

Often overlooked but essential attributes.

Well done.