PDA

View Full Version : Life Now that's a woman!

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
So,
Feeling a "bit better" (been suffering a cold and house bound for 3 days), the Wife and I venture out to do some errands.
I go by a job site, pay my painter etc...

We end up at Long and McQuaid formerly "musicstop" and I’m looking through their new building which compared to their last store now has a HUGE percussion section.

I spy a 6 pcs Pearl Masters Series Shell pack for an amazing $2499.00
(**Up here in the great white north at the END of Canada, it’s an "amazing" price)
http://www.pearldrum.com/products/drumsets/masters-premium/features.aspx
Maple of course!!

And low and behold, their Silver sparkle fade to Black.
Raiders colors baby!!
I fell in love with them.
Any drummer would!
Which is something since all through my drumming career, and even a few of my guitars during my lead playing days were all Red, Wine, Burgundy etc.
I didn’t want the "Classic bad guy black" although my one exception is my 68' Les Paul

Back to the story...

I’m saying with a smile, "one day you’ll be mine"
The wife up and say’s, "If you build it, they will come"

I lost my drum room when the little guy was born 2 yerars ago.
I finally made a small "jam" space in a back room, but seldom ever get to play.
I’m "in a band" as such, we play a few times a year, strictly 4/4 time covers, mostly glam metal I played so much 20 years ago I can do blindfolded, thus practice isn’t a required thing for us, but we do anyway, and after the first 2 songs of the night we all know why we should more often. By the end of the first set were back on track, and by the end of the night were smoken’.

The Kit I have now is a result of losing all my gear during a divorce 8 years ago.
I lost my Pearls, Zeldjin’s, rack, amps, PA, the whole she-bang.
I finally got the urge to play again so bad, I went to Musicstop, paid $25 a week on a set of "beginner/intermediate" drums.
Peavey International II’s.

The kit it’s self isn’t bad for poplar shells,and for what my options were at the time, they were the best I could afford.
The hardware of course is junk.

I’ve added a Pearl double kick (use a second kick for shows) Set of B8 Sabians (yeah yeah I know, Rookie stuff, but a ride, crash, splash, 13HH’s, and a free crash for $125 is a set you don’t have when your broke!)
Along the way mre has been aded to the kit, and all of my hardware changed is now is either Gibraltar, or Pearl.

-My buddies’s son is developing into a monster lead player, but he’s only 15.
No prob we have a venue here on the Island "all ages"

-They want to play once a month
Still no prob, I can fit it in for something I love

-The want to try my favotie trick in the book
Different set each night, Never same show twice, which is a standerd here on the island.
PROBLEM
That means LOTS of rehearsal.
I’ve been threatening for quite some time to build a small 12x14 out in the back yard down by the tree line for a "jam room" I mean make it right, insulated etc. A studio if you please.
Then I could get back all my gear including my back breaking 200lbs a piece
Yamaha HR-1 Bass bins, both my Peavey CS800's and my board.

I’d have my own little stage made up, and re-live some of my teenage glory days jamming to CD’s or having a few of the boy’s over.

Last night the wife looked at me and said.
"Yes! If you build your studio you can have them. You don’t ask for anything, you seldom go out you don’t even drink much anymore, and you worked your ass of to get your new truck last year for your 40ith. And I know how much you love drumming, so yes, if you build it, they will come!"
I didn’t know wether to laugh or cry.
But now that 12x14 is gonna be 14x16

Now that’s a woman!

(PS, I bought her a new car for her 40th on Monday, gave it to her last week ;) , and thinking back on it, I should have gone for the Refrence series :()

Chief Chief
02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
So...long story short: YOU'RE A LOSER!!

Hydrae
02-21-2009, 11:58 AM

With a winner of a wife! :thumb:

OH, you keep rockin' and teach that kid how to rock too! :rockon:

RJ
02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Good read as always, Over-Head, gotta love the happy ending.

I think the old saying is true.....life really does begin at 40.

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Good read as always, Over-Head, gotta love the happy ending.

I think the old saying is true.....life really does begin at 40.
You know it!
Since I hit the 40 last year, it's been amazing at how things have been going.

bishop_74
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm glad your getting your drums ya old windbag! :D

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Awesome dude. I've just recently gotten into the Rockband fad of drumming. It's a shit ton of fun. Here is the "kit" I bought myself. Really it's not bad for the $350 I have into it so far. I can buy a drum brain, and a pro kit and convert it into an actual electronic drum kit. It's super nice to play compared to the shitbag "kit" you get with the game.

http://www.dasgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/drumrocker_front2.jpg

bishop_74
02-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Awesome dude. I've just recently gotten into the Rockband fad of drumming. It's a shit ton of fun. Here is the "kit" I bought myself. Really it's not bad for the $350 I have into it so far. I can buy a drum brain, and a pro kit and convert it into an actual electronic drum kit. It's super nice to play compared to the shitbag "kit" you get with the game.

http://www.dasgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/drumrocker_front2.jpg

LOL. You have offended the rock gods...

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
LOL. You have offended the rock gods...

Shit. I make no claims to being an awesome drummer, but I also know that I could sit down at a kit and bang out quite a few songs.

bishop_74
02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Shit. I make no claims to being an awesome drummer, but I also know that I could sit down at a kit and bang out quite a few songs.

THREAD HIJACK: I know. I love that game, and I especially love playing the drums. I have Rock Band 1 and 2, and GH 2, 3, and World Tour. The guys and I get hammered and play songs til like 3 in the morning. I feel like I am in a Rock Band.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-21-2009, 12:43 PM
THREAD HIJACK: I know. I love that game, and I especially love playing the drums. I have Rock Band 1 and 2, and GH 2, 3, and World Tour. The guys and I get hammered and play songs til like 3 in the morning. I feel like I am in a Rock Band.

I play the guitar and it's not representative at all of playing in real life. However, the drums, with the kit I have has proven to be pretty useful in some basic tutorial. It is quite a rush (pun intended) though when you start getting into some of the more advanced songs. Which I'm not very far into yet. I can play expert on the first half pretty much.

teedubya
02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I rocked out on my REAL drums... with a couple buddies with REAL guitars last night.

Color me old fashioned.

Demonpenz
02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Drums are life getting me a pork pie snare with my refund money.

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I rocked out on my REAL drums... with a couple buddies with REAL guitars last night.

Color me old fashioned.
Wow real and everything ! Can I have your autograph? :)~
Whats your kit?

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Drums are life getting me a pork pie snare with my refund money.
Forks drum closet in Nashville/Knoxville TN has an add in this months Modern Drummer afering a "Black Panther" 8 ply Maple snare for $119.00
(*****Although I couldn't find it in thier inventory online)
I've got an email into them now to see if they ship to Canada :thumb:

Forks:
www.forksdrumcloset.com (http://www.forksdrumcloset.com)
1-800-55FORKS

Over-Head
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm glad your getting your drums ya old windbag! :D
Who ya calen old?
I'm only 41!! :cuss:

RNR
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Enjoy them my friend in Silver and Black! :)

stevieray
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
this is a cool story

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM

And what instrument, aside from your pecker, do YOU play, Mozart?

unothadeal
02-21-2009, 07:49 PM
That's a spoon.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2009, 08:23 PM
So,

I spy a 6 pcs Pearl Masters Series Shell pack for an amazing $2499.00
Maple of course!!
And low and behold, their Silver sparkle fade to Black.

You got the bucks; get your SONOR on:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/PlatinumFade.jpg

I went to Musicstop, paid $25 a week on a set of "beginner/intermediate" drums.
Peavey International II’s.
Ah, memories. My first set was some no name, Rodgers wannabe in blue sparkle. The bass pedal looked like it was made from a set of old, metal roller skates from the 50's, and the rest of the hardware would probably haven fallen apart under the "heavy onslaught" of Lawrence Welk's drummer. :doh!: Sadness.
The Cymbals? Camber II Garbage Lid Series! :thumb:

My friend Matt had a set of Sonor Phonic Plus with like 10 toms, and he came over, saw my shit and, "You need some new drums; you can't polish a turd".

LMAO

I’ve been threatening for quite some time to build a small 12x14 out in the back yard down by the tree line for a "jam room".
Oh yeah; the "Cram Room". Bass player bumping in to your shit every two minutes, guitar player either sounds like mud or has the cabinet 2ft from your ears and dissolving your brain with a high-mids assault, and a singer bitching about how he can't hear himself.

Last night the wife looked at me and said.
"Yes! If you build your studio you can have them. You don’t ask for anything, you seldom go out you don’t even drink much anymore, and you worked your ass of to get your new truck last year for your 40ith. And I know how much you love drumming, so yes, if you build it, they will come!"
I didn’t know wether to laugh or cry.
But now that 12x14 is gonna be 14x16

Now that’s a woman!
Agreed. Great Lady.

I played with these ass clown's for about 4 or 5 months( I was 21, ready to hit the road and get paid for doing so ):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhK2WHegWSI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhK2WHegWSI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And this is the guy I replaced:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8W3bBqeT98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8W3bBqeT98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Over-Head
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Exactly the came color Darth, only mine will say Pearl :D
My old kit was a limited edition double kick set of rare Maple Pearl Exports from back in the 80's
I had 4 rack toms 8,10,12,13
twin floor toms 16/18
twin 24 Kicks
The Rodgers Snare
And a Full set of Zildjian K's
The Kit alone I today would have been worth around $9-10K with all my hardware, gong, and accessories.
Dumb bitch sold it all for $500, dude missed taking the snare, and she got another $100 for it, so I was told a few weeks after my divorce:cuss:

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Exactly the came color Darth, only mine will say Pearl :D
My old kit was a limited edition double kick set of rare Maple Pearl Exports from back in the 80's
I had 4 rack toms 8,10,12,13
twin floor toms 16/18
twin 24 Kicks
The Rodgers Snare
And a Full set of Zildjian K's
The Kit alone I today would have been worth around $9-10K with all my hardware, gong, and accessories.
Dumb bitch sold it all for $500, dude missed taking the snare, and she got another $100 for it, so I was told a few weeks after my divorce:cuss:

I might vaguely recall some special edition exports, but that was a long while back.

I like playing on the big kits, but I never wanted to cart one around. I started with a five-piece, and then stripped it down to a four with a double pedal. I like it because it forces you to "up" your technique. The first time I watched a really good jazz drummer getting all of these sounds and vocabulary from four drums, I knew that everything else was just coloration and icing for the cake. I'd hate to be Bozzio's roadie these days!:doh!:

I do have a cymbal jones though; 4 crashes, two pair of high hats, 2 china's, a splash and a ride.
I like Paiste the best. If you put your cymbals together as a set in terms of the sounds complimenting each other, and one of them breaks, you can order the same model and it will sound 95% like the one you just lost.

Anyway, drums are cool.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Neil Peart.

Over-Head
02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Neil Peart.
Is a freak of ****ing nature who singel handedly destroyed 2 preivious generations of drummers, and spawned amazing ofspring like Virgel Donati (sp).
The man is not from this planet

Saw Virgil for a clinique here in St.John.s a few years back. Just after his stint with Steve Vai.
The dude can play a 13/8 with his left foot and hand the same time he'll play a 21/7 with his right!
My drum instructer taped the show, i'm glad, because during the free jam, he litterly blew my ****en mind
I was lost about the second paradiddle excersize into the program.
He'll take paradiddles, and just multiply them to like 8diddles etc.

Over-Head
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I might vaguely recall some special edition exports, but that was a long while back.

I like playing on the big kits, but I never wanted to cart one around.
Pain in the ass for sure, but I've always played a large stage kit.
For the same reason I stopped playing lead.
I'm scared to death on stage, but love it.
I just love playing live.
I can hide behind my big kit.
When I played lead, I always had the stage spot right in my face so I couldn't see anything.
And after a year I switched to drums because I couldn't over come the stage fright or mostly just being out front.
I was great right untill I sawe a crowd, then locked up.
To this day I still have a paper bag behind my kit to toss my cookies in a split second before the first song, then i'm good to go
And I've been on stage for almost 30 years now.

I know about smaller kits, I use a 5 pc for re-hersal/practice, add the rest to it for the show.
The smaller kit forces your chops and makes you stay more focused on the groove.
By the time I drag out both kit's and stage em' up, even with memory locks and a rack it's still about a 45min deal.
I love my symbals. If it's somthing bronz and make a sound, gimme!
9 of them, in my arsonal now. pertty much the whole Sabian B8 line.
The New K Zildjins will come with the Pearls
I run 2 Peavey kits with 2 of the tom's tuned higher than the other matching ones giving me a "fake" 4 tom set up, plus another smaller one I ordered online.

bevis369
02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Winner, winner chicken dinner...

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Pain in the ass for sure, but I've always played a large stage kit.
For the same reason I stopped playing lead.
I'm scared to death on stage, but love it.
I just love playing live.
I can hide behind my big kit.
When I played lead, I always had the stage spot right in my face so I couldn't see anything.
And after a year I switched to drums because I couldn't over come the stage fright or mostly just being out front.
I was great right untill I sawe a crowd, then locked up.
To this day I still have a paper bag behind my kit to toss my cookies in a split second before the first song, then i'm good to go
And I've been on stage for almost 30 years now.

I know about smaller kits, I use a 5 pc for re-hersal/practice, add the rest to it for the show.
The smaller kit forces your chops and makes you stay more focused on the groove.
By the time I drag out both kit's and stage em' up, even with memory locks and a rack it's still about a 45min deal.
I love my symbals. If it's somthing bronz and make a sound, gimme!
9 of them, in my arsonal now. pertty much the whole Sabian B8 line.
The New K Zildjins will come with the Pearls
I run 2 Peavey kits with 2 of the tom's tuned higher than the other matching ones giving me a "fake" 4 tom set up, plus another smaller one I ordered online.
Even with my rack and memory locks, it's still 30-45 min set up

I've never experienced stage fright. I think it comes from knowing that I know what I'm doing, and that I've rehearsed enough to just focus on the experience as opposed to making sure I don't make mistakes.

I love to mix it up; we had one song where the front man took over the kit, and I went out front to play percussion. I love having that crowd right up in my face; there's nothing like it.
And I've discovered that if your going to be out front, you need to

A) Know what you look like when your performing so you can minimize the goofy shit( I wear shades up front always because my eyes can make what will be a sometimes intense delivery look like Rod Morgenstein on cough syrup. If you've seen any of Rod's instructional videos, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about ).

And,

B) Play with absolute authority. That fucking stage belongs to YOU. It's your world, and everybody else that ain't on it is just along for the ride.

And as to the kits, I can tell you that when your on tour and schlepping your own shit; a lot of places barely had room for my four piece.

And a 45 minute setup can be about 35 minutes too long in some cases.

Halfcan
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Keep on Rockin bud!

Over-Head
02-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Each to their own DC.
As far as playing with authority, I wouldn't play a song on stage if I couldn't own it period!
Even imporved.
There's things in life people can deal with, a stage is a tough one for me. I love the music, but for some reaqson fear the crowd.
Much like some people fear the dak, mice, etc.
Not really a phobia, if it were I wouldn't have played semi-pro/pro back in my teens and 20's touring with and opening for most of the maor/about to be major acts that rolled through NS, NB, PEI between 82-89'
IE: Helix, Headpins, Honeymoon Suite, Jeff Healey, Trooper, Prism, Brian Adems, Lee Arron, Kim Mitchell,Killer Dwarfs, just to name a few
And I certianly wouldn't be willing to go back to playing once a month
I got past the phobia, still have the fear.
But I manage it, I toss my cookies and i'm good for the rest of the night.
All the guy's I've played with over the years have tried different "cures"
Half a drink, half a joint, compleatly wrecked.
Don't matter if I'm loaded or stright, I hurl, I play great!s to laugh at me, then hit the first song
The band always manage

And as to the kits, I can tell you that when your on tour and schlepping your own shit; a lot of places barely had room for my four piece..
I've refused to play if I couldn't have ALL my gear period!
Once I agreed to remove as many items from the stage as the twin guitar players would agree to lose strings, I have MY set up, and if I'm playing the night, I set my WHOLE fucking kit up
There aint a Bar in the Maritimes i didn't hit at one time or another, some were bigger than others, and a lot of times I was balancing on teh edge of the rear of the stage r pushed against a wall, but I had my full kit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Each to their own DC.
As far as playing with authority, I wouldn't play a song on stage if I couldn't own it period!
Even imporved.
There's things in life people can deal with, a stage is a tough one for me. I love the music, but for some reaqson fear the crowd.
Much like some people fear the dak, mice, etc.
Not really a phobia, if it were I wouldn't have played semi-pro/pro back in my teens and 20's.
I got past the phobia, still have the fear.
But I manage it, I toss my cokies twice.
Once just before I go on stage, once as soon as I get behind my kit, and i'm good for the rest of the night.
All the guy's I've played with have tried different "cures"
Half a drink, half a joint, compleatly wrecked.
Don't matter if I'm loaded or stright, I hurl, I play great!

And that's all that matters! :thumb:

Halfcan
02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Neil Peart.

:clap::clap:

Best evar-no close 2nd!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Best evar-no close 2nd!!

Ahem...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/52PXFJsPMvc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/52PXFJsPMvc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Over-Head
02-22-2009, 11:20 PM

Best evar-no close 2nd!!
Sorry, Tommy Alderidge, Matt Sorum, Vinny Appice, and the man who shares my birthday "The Ultimate showman" Tommy Lee
I'd say are my biggest influences

Archie F. Swin
02-23-2009, 08:06 AM
yep...thread [pretty close to] over
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/mejoza/drumkit002.jpg

beach tribe
02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I cant wait till I'm married, and have to get permission from my wife to have or do anything.