PDA

View Full Version : Football Are The top Picks in the NFL Draft overpaid

rrl308
02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
It really pisses me off how much these guys get paid without proving anything.

rambleonthruthefog
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
100% agreed. The contracts should at least be more incintive based if they are gonna be that high without any actual production.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
You can't give Stafford or Sanchez enough money. Or cars. Or women. Or 1st Class seating so they don't have to sit next to Carl.

soundmind
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Man is this not the ever-nagging point? I can't believe it, I really can't. People, including the most educated of the football world, will pass on someone like Ray Lewis for $9M/yr but happily give that money to a professionally untested 21 year old. I'm not sure how old a lot of the planet members are, but 21 was a while ago for me, not too long, but a while....and if you gave me $15-25M guaranteed at 21?

I simply can't imagine these guys will work nearly as hard to improve, as if you made them earn it with incentives.....but.....hooray for capitalism! PLUS, early in the draft, you're paying game-breaker with a track record money to a guy for his POTENTIAL.

You want to choke on your tongue, look at what the Team Owners take home.

blueballs
02-23-2009, 11:28 PM
It's about over

Iowanian
02-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes.

I think the NFL needs to go to reasonable, slotted rookie salaries, in terms of no more than 3 years and make them EARN that 2nd contract if they want a big one.

Prooven vets should be making more money than Ryan Leaf....

rolstrol
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
definitely sucks, I agree.

It should be more like the NBA.

The Buddha
02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Potential is worth more money than talent in the NFL. Plus with the way they can back out of contracts, it makes things a lot crazier.

If the NFL had contracts like Baseball... They wouldn't do this sort of stuff, IMO.

KcKing
02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes... Next question.

ChiefsCountry
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
definitely sucks, I agree.

It should be more like the NBA.

This.

smittysbar
02-24-2009, 12:42 AM
absolutely

Mecca
02-24-2009, 01:14 AM
I don't really care to tell you the truth..

If the picks become slotted we'll have even more people wanting to draft devalued positions with high picks because then there won't be a money argument against it.

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Are The top Picks in the NFL Draft overpaid?

Two Words: David Carr

crazycoffey
02-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I just logged on, don't know how long this thread is, don't know what the census is, but of course I'm going to say yes. If it's anywhere close to less than 85-90% I'm leaving and never watching professional football ever again. I will give up on football humanity.....

missinDThomas
02-24-2009, 05:39 AM

word

KC Jones
02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I just logged on, don't know how long this thread is, don't know what the census is, but of course I'm going to say yes. If it's anywhere close to less than 85-90% I'm leaving and never watching professional football ever again. I will give up on football humanity.....

Wish I had seen this before I voted :evil:

beach tribe
02-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Whoever voted no should be shot. This is the biggest fault in the NFL. Rookie contracts.

Mecca
02-24-2009, 07:46 AM
You can not like it that's fine but if you really sit around getting pissed off at what a football player makes you have alot of time on your hands.

SenselessChiefsFan
02-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Absolutely, which is why taking a QB has fallen out of favor with a lot of teams. There is an additional QB premium that gets paid because of the fact that they play QB.

And, most QB's coming out of college have a steep learning curve. The learning curve there is steeper than any other position.

And, finally, only one QB gets to play. Backup QB's aren't even a factor unless the starter gets hurt.

So, that is a HUGE investment to make on a player that will offer very little contribution most likely for two years.

If a position player isn't quite what you thought he would be, you can at least find a spot for him to play on the field and get some return on your investment.

If the QB isn't what you thought, then you have completely wasted the money that you could spend on a free agent and the opportunity to draft a better player.

These are all factors that any GM has to take into consideration. And, that doesn't make him 'scared' or a true fan.... it makes him prudent.

That is why, IF the Chiefs take Sanchez.... I will buy into him. It will show me that they have the faith and confidence in this kid to overlook all the additional risks associated with taking a QB in the top five. Not to mention the additional risks of a junior QB with so little experience.

The additional salaries have made teams start considering the safe pick as a true alternative to drafting a play maker.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Whoever voted no should be shot. This is the biggest fault in the NFL. Rookie contracts.

:p

Deberg_1990
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Ryan Sims does not approve this thread.

Chiefnj2
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
I voted no. If the owners who pay the bill felt strongly about it they'd negotiate a cap.

NBA contracts are for two years with options for a 3rd and sometimes a 4th. It's tough to make a decision in the NFL after just two years especially with a position like QB. You can have the kid on the bench his first year play him his second year where he will likely struggle and then have to make the decision as to whether he is entitled to his really, really big contract.

Even if a cap were put in place tomorrow it isn't as if the guaranteed money is going to go down 10 or 20 million, the cap would be based on the current payscales.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Ryan Sims does not approve this thread.

Nor does Gay Butler.

SenselessChiefsFan
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't really care to tell you the truth..

If the picks become slotted we'll have even more people wanting to draft devalued positions with high picks because then there won't be a money argument against it.

Completely dissagree. It will allow teams to draft QB's without the fear of a collossal investment sitting on the bench for at least two years.

And, it will cause many more trades to happen as people aren't scared off by ridiculous contracts given to top 5/top 10 guys.

CoMoChief
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Man is this not the ever-nagging point? I can't believe it, I really can't. People, including the most educated of the football world, will pass on someone like Ray Lewis for $9M/yr but happily give that money to a professionally untested 21 year old. I'm not sure how old a lot of the planet members are, but 21 was a while ago for me, not too long, but a while....and if you gave me $15-25M guaranteed at 21?

I simply can't imagine these guys will work nearly as hard to improve, as if you made them earn it with incentives.....but.....hooray for capitalism! PLUS, early in the draft, you're paying game-breaker with a track record money to a guy for his POTENTIAL.

You want to choke on your tongue, look at what the Team Owners take home.

The Hunts bought the Chiefs for $25K and take home about $40-$50 Million in profit a season and have for quite some time.

Not a bad return on your investment.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
the top 3 picks definitely are overpaid ... probably the top 8

after the 1st round i don't see any problem with what they are paid

Fishpicker
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
no. Any players' career can end abruptly and the team can ditch the contract any time they like.