PDA

View Full Version : Money What are you doing with your stock market investments?

jAZ
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Whether it's straight stocks, 401Ks, IRAs or similar.... what are you doing with them now?

Buying, Selling, Holding?

(poll coming)

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I have no exposure cause I'm poor and make less than 15k a year... :-(

But if I did have exposure, I'd be buying SPDRs like a mofo.

Bugeater
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Panicking.

cdcox
02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I haven't changed the allocation of my holdings or my monthly investments since this whole CF started. I'm still more than 15 years from retirement, so hopefully there is still time to recover, but I'm not where I hoped to be at this stage of my life.

So I guess I'm buying still.

jAZ
02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Panicking.

No kidding...

http://dshort.com/charts/bears/four-bears-extended-large.gif

Buehler445
02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
The only thing I have going is my 401(k). I do have $50/mo going into ESPP, but that's not really anything.

When I set up my 401(k), I put...I think its 50% in Large cap and distrubuted the rest evenly. I am putting 8% in and Employer Match is 6%. I haven't touched it. I'm 25 and at this point, I'm not buying for any time soon. If the market shows signs of rebound, I may adjust the mix to a little more aggressive.

My ESPP is just fooling around. Hopefully I will walk out with a decent investment but who knows.

So I guess I am buying.

Buehler445
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
No kidding...

http://dshort.com/charts/bears/four-bears-extended-large.gif

That is a pretty interesting graphic. Very intersting, in fact. The difference is in the numbers. The crash of 29 was *relatively* small in terms of points dropped, but by the end of the thing, it was almost down to nothing. Hopefully this market doesn't go down to nearly nothing.:eek:

Buehler445
02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh and that's the S&P for the current..

jAZ
02-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I haven't changed the allocation of my holdings or my monthly investments since this whole CF started. I'm still more than 15 years from retirement, so hopefully there is still time to recover, but I'm not where I hoped to be at this stage of my life.

So I guess I'm buying still.

I happened to have some stock in a company that I used to work for. They were acquired last spring and at the time I just assumed I had stock in the new company. Later in the summer, I found out that held that money in cash. Now I'm glad.

So I'm thinking about buying now with the proceeds. But with the chart above and other quotes I've read that we aren't anywhere near the bottom. I am having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I voted buy though. I think that's where I'm headed.

jAZ
02-24-2009, 12:29 AM
By the way, I'd say that if anyone is buying Gold instead of stock. In this discussion, that's "selling".

cdcox
02-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I happened to have some stock in a company that I used to work for. They were acquired last spring and at the time I just assumed I had stock in the new company. Later in the summer, I found out that held that money in cash. Now I'm glad.

So I'm thinking about buying now with the proceeds. But with the chart above and other quotes I've read that we aren't anywhere near the bottom. I am having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I suck at the stock market. The only thing I can tell you is that once we reach the bottom, there won't be any giant sign that reads "THE BOTTOM" for everyone to see.

beavis
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.

I'm starting to buy again, but I'm scared shitless.

Silock
02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Buying like crazy.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Buying like crazy.

Might as well right?

gta0012
02-24-2009, 06:35 AM
As long as you can wait 5+ years for your return on the investment you will be fine.

Put money into solid companies that have a good amount of cash, backlog of work and a bright future to make it through this.

You do that you'll probly more than double your money in 5 years.

seclark
02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
buy bye.
sec

Iowanian
02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Making moves so I can buy at least some, mutual funds, not individual stocks for me.

Ride the rest into the mushroom cloud.

http://www.dlevel.com/blogs/alex/14/images/misc/dr_strangelove_ride_nuke.jpg

Fat Elvis
02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
I thought this poll was pretty interesting:

http://cjonline.com/stories/022409/bre_dowpoll.shtml

It is only folks who read the Capital Journal Online, so it is really pretty much folks in Topeka, but I think it is pretty telling nonetheless (given that it is an unscientific poll)....

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Making moves so I can buy at least some, mutual funds, not individual stocks for me.

Ride the rest into the mushroom cloud.

http://www.dlevel.com/blogs/alex/14/images/misc/dr_strangelove_ride_nuke.jpg

Slim Pickens in the market these days...

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
As long as you can wait 5+ years for your return on the investment you will be fine.

Put money into solid companies that have a good amount of cash, backlog of work and a bright future to make it through this.

You do that you'll probly more than double your money in 5 years.

Like CHRYSLER!!!ROFL

Simplex3
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I would have to call the guy who I pay to handle this for me to find out what I'm doing today. I guess you would say I'm holding since I'm not sending him more money right now, I'm just riding with what I have. Right now it makes a lot more sense to pay down the house and two freaking car payments (thanks for selling me two cars that didn't make it to 100k, Chrysler).

vailpass
02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Where is the "crying" option? (j/k) ( sort of)

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I suck at the stock market. The only thing I can tell you is that once we reach the bottom, there won't be any giant sign that reads "THE BOTTOM" for everyone to see.

I've discovered a more or less perfect method for predicting the stock market. When I decide to keep buying and dollar-cost-average, then the market will continue to go down. When I finally decide to stop and hold, the market will go up.

I've given up, having thrown a lot of money into the toilet by dollar-cost-averaging my losses, so therefore, I think the market has hit bottom.

Seriously, this is one of those situations where I'm not so sure that there'll be a full rebound. The economy of the past decade has been based on false information and false data. Now we're working off of more accurate information, and companies are still sliding downhill, which means that P/Es and other measures are going to keep going up. I don't see a return to a 12,000 Dow for a long, long time.

But then again, I'm always wrong on these things.

wutamess
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Where is the "crying" option? (j/k) ( sort of)

Not the rich racist asshole :rolleyes:

PastorMikH
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm struggling with my retirement right now. I've been paying in for 2 years now and have less in the fund than I put in last year alone. I keep telling myself I'm buying cheap shares so keep doing it. But the though has crossed my mind since I opt to take a portion of my check and put it into retirement to take the extra and put it towards some bills instead.

The company/fund I am in is doing par to just a little better than most funds I look at, but it still stinks right now. I've got plenty of years left before I retire, and surely things will bounce back, but I'm getting to the point where I am begining to wonder. What if the dollar crashes and becomes worthless? What has been put away into retirement may very well be worthless as well, though I guarantee you the bills I owe won't be canceled out like my retirement might.

PastorMikH
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I've discovered a more or less perfect method for predicting the stock market. When I decide to keep buying and dollar-cost-average, then the market will continue to go down. When I finally decide to stop and hold, the market will go up.

Would you mind sending me a pm and letting me know what moves you are planning to make so I can cash in on the opposite move then?

Thanks!

:)

DaKCMan AP
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm young so I'm still buying aggressive stuff in my 401k... just more shares at an increasingly lower price.

PastorMikH
02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm young so I'm still buying aggressive stuff in my 401k... just more shares at an increasingly lower price.

That's what I keep telling myself too. I'm getting shares for almost a third of what they were at when I got into this fund. Just keep hoping that by the time I get a couple thousand shares bought it starts to skyrocket.

bogey
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking about pulling everything out and storing it in my mattress. I'm not a young man anymore and to see my investments go down, down, down, is very disheartening.

RINGLEADER
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM

It's a tough market now because all the forces, both internal and external, are avoiding any kind of risk. There were several good range buys over the last few months but when we fell through the 8000 floor it is very easy to see us going to 6500/6600 before we start to form a new bottom.

I'm not huge on charts but they've been predictive over the last year.

I'm holding (on).

Mark M
02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, since I have another 30 years before retirement, I'm just keeping things pretty much the same.

I moved some of my aggressive stuff to more moderate (moved about 10 percent of it), but otherwise just left it as is.

No need to panic for those with years to go. Just ride it out. And if it doesn't get better?

Well ... I think worrying about the market will be the last thing we'll be worrying about, way behind pitchforks and torches.

MM
~~:sulk: :)

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I think for a while I'm just going to use the money to pay on my mortgage. That's an automatic 4.3 percent return, which is better than anything else I see right now.

Silock
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Might as well right?

Pretty much. If it's all going down, then money is going to be worthless, anyway.