PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Anyone use the Nike+ system?

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I hate running, really hate running but I think if I can set some goals maybe it will make it easier to get into. I already have the shoes so Im looking to hear from people who have used it and how they liked/disliked it thanks.

Here is the website and a quick vid (click on "what is Nike+").

http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I hate Nike, so I'm biased. It looks to me like just another product to make them money.

But if it helps you run, then its worth it. I bet it costs a few hundred bucks though, knowing Nike.

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I got it for Christmas and I like it. I turn on the music, start jogging, and it tells me when I've gone one mile, two miles, etc. At the end, if I have a personal best, Tiger Woods or Joan Benoit Samuelson or someone congragulates me. It then uploads my run history (80 miles so far this year) to the Nike web site.

I think it's got some glitches, though, because sometimes I'll set a personal best and no one will congratulate me, which is crushing, and a couple of times I've uploaded my run and it'll show some oddity like a 20-minute mile in the middle of the run, when I don't remember collapsing and crawling on my knees for a mile.

Overall, though, I'm a big fan of it and like the fact that I know how far I've gone while I'm running.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I got it for Christmas and I like it. I turn on the music, start jogging, and it tells me when I've gone one mile, two miles, etc. At the end, if I have a personal best, Tiger Woods or Joan Benoit Samuelson or someone congragulates me. It then uploads my run history (80 miles so far this year) to the Nike web site.

I think it's got some glitches, though, because sometimes I'll set a personal best and no one will congratulate me, which is crushing, and a couple of times I've uploaded my run and it'll show some oddity like a 20-minute mile in the middle of the run, when I don't remember collapsing and crawling on my knees for a mile.

Overall, though, I'm a big fan of it and like the fact that I know how far I've gone while I'm running.

Thanks Rain I think Ill pick it up on the way home from work.

Toadkiller
02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I just started using mine last run. I thought it was kind of cool but maybe the novelty will wear off after a few runs.

And yeah I hate running with a passion, but I started that couch potato to 5k training program from cool runnings and it is the best thing ever. Now when I miss a night running I feel bummed.

The Franchise
02-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I just started using mine last run. I thought it was kind of cool but maybe the novelty will wear off after a few runs.

And yeah I hate running with a passion, but I started that couch potato to 5k training program from cool runnings and it is the best thing ever. Now when I miss a night running I feel bummed.

What is that?

Fish
02-24-2009, 01:27 PM
It's pointless.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
It's pointless.

please expound.

Mr. Plow
02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds interesting.

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
please expound.

Your signature photo gives me seizures...lol

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Your signature photo gives me seizures...lol

you just cant look at it for too long!

Fish
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
please expound.

adj.

Lacking meaning; senseless.
Ineffectual

I guess if you're that concerned whether you've ran a mile or 1.35 miles it might be handy. But mostly it's a marketing gimmick to appease gadget consumers and encourage you to buy more toys.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
adj.

Lacking meaning; senseless.
Ineffectual

I guess if you're that concerned whether you've ran a mile or 1.35 miles it might be handy. But mostly it's a marketing gimmick to appease gadget consumers and encourage you to buy more toys.

So you're not speaking from actual experience then? IMO you could apply you last sentence to just about 99% of the shit we buy.

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
So you're not speaking from actual experience then? IMO you could apply you last sentence to just about 99% of the shit we buy.

As a philosophical Buddhist, I also think we SHOULD apply that sentence to 99% of the stuff we buy, and NOT BUY IT!

Sorry... if it keeps you healthy, than its worth it. But how much does this thing cost!?! I'm guessing a few hundred, cause Nike is way overpriced.

Hammock Parties
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
No, suffering is better. I NEED MY PAIN!

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
As a philosophical Buddhist, I also think we SHOULD apply that sentence to 99% of the stuff we buy, and NOT BUY IT!

Sorry... if it keeps you healthy, than its worth it. But how much does this thing cost!?! I'm guessing a few hundred, cause Nike is way overpriced.

$29.00

Toadkiller
02-24-2009, 01:52 PM
What is that?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you are just starting out running or just getting back into it this is a great program. I went from huffing wind walking around the block to 3 miles a night now.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

If you are just starting out running or just getting back into it this is a great program. I went from huffing wind walking around the block to 3 miles a night now.

See thats what Im looking for.

The Buddha
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
$29.00

I'm surprised. I figured that little belt thing would at least be $150.00

kysirsoze
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
$29.00

29.99 plus you have to buy Nike shoes that work with it which are usually at least $100.

I won an Ipod nano at a work poker tournament so I decided to give this a shot. It works pretty well. It definitely motivates me which is my biggest problem when it comes to running. (Like most people I think.)

One nitpick is if you wanna do interval running at all (I'm not exactly in marathon shape), it doesn't really work for that. You can pause your workout and resume it but it's not as easy to do that as I'd like.

This might not bother you at all in which case go for it.

missinDThomas
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM

i heard that really works. how is it working for you? how long did it take to get to 3 mi.?

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I got one for my birthday and I like it. I don't do a lot of distance training right now since I'm in season but I enjoyed it when I was doing some miles. In my opinion if it will help you run and stay active, then it's worth it.

kysirsoze
02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Also, if you are woefully out of shape it can be a little embarressing to see your fat slowness broken down into hard numbers on a website. But that just adds to the motivation!:)

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
adj.

And it works! I can't wait for them to come out with options like Krusty The Clown announcing my mileage!

Fish
02-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Yes I'm speaking from personal experience. It's pointless other than the "ohh neat, my iPod is tied to my shoes" new gadget factor. It doesn't work very well sometimes. Updates fail. Distances are way off.

If you're not interested in my opinion, then disregard.

Toadkiller
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
i heard that really works. how is it working for you? how long did it take to get to 3 mi.?

It really works well. Like I said before I went from barely making it around the block to 3 miles a night in 6 weeks or so. I also went from hating to run, hey fat guy like me hates anything to do with running, but now I actually feel bummed if I don't get to run that day. I also got a couple friends to try it and they agree it really works well.

Also if you are interested there is a push up one sort of like the running one, http://hundredpushups.com/

Hammock Parties
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Another spectacular iPod product.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Yes I'm speaking from personal experience. It's pointless other than the "ohh neat, my iPod is tied to my shoes" new gadget factor. It doesn't work very well sometimes. Updates fail. Distances are way off.

If you're not interested in my opinion, then disregard.

LoL, im interested in all opinions, that’s why I asked here. You were more than short with your last 2 responses’, that’s why I prodded. :thumb:

Rain Man
02-24-2009, 02:08 PM
29.99 plus you have to buy Nike shoes that work with it which are usually at least $100.

I bought one of these and it seems to work great. You just attach it to the shoelaces of your non-Nike shoe.

http://grantwoodstore.com/Shoe-Pouch-Assorted-Colors-Compatible-with/M/B000UGLIXC.htm

The Franchise
02-24-2009, 02:09 PM

It really works well. Like I said before I went from barely making it around the block to 3 miles a night in 6 weeks or so. I also went from hating to run, hey fat guy like me hates anything to do with running, but now I actually feel bummed if I don't get to run that day. I also got a couple friends to try it and they agree it really works well.

Also if you are interested there is a push up one sort of like the running one, http://hundredpushups.com/

Rep. Thanks for these.

MIAdragon
02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
And it works! I can't wait for them to come out with options like Krusty The Clown announcing my mileage!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z187/FL2005gt/Presentation1-1.gif

Fish
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
LoL, im interested in all opinions, that’s why I asked here. You were more than short with your last 2 responses’, that’s why I prodded. :thumb:

Well from the responses in this thread, I think I'd question my opinion anyway. I guess I just enjoy running just for the sake of running. I ended up spending more time fidgeting with the damn thing trying to make it work right, than I did actually running. And unless you keep a pretty consistent pace, I found it pretty inaccurate...

Silock
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
It's really cool, but unfortunately, you need to calibrate it pretty often, and it's not entirely accurate on the distance covered. That being said, it's a whole lot better than nothing.

GPS based running systems are better, and far more accurate, but they're more expensive and don't have some of the neat features that the Nike+ system does. So, there are pros and cons to both.

WilliamTheIrish
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I found it to be a nuisance. My music sets are set up in a fashion. Usually a long low tempo song 7+ minutes to start and move to quicker tempo songs throughout the run.

It seems pretty neat, but I couldn't find a niche with me. I daydream a lot when I run. I like to see look at scenery and just allow the endophins to relax me. Especially on the long runs.

But that's just me I guess.

Adept Havelock
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes. I've found deploying a Nike system has reduced overflights of my yard by neighbors at least 70%.

http://g.imagehost.org/0035/nike.jpg

Mr. Plow
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
MIA.....I'm going to try this. Going to go out probably today and get set up. I need to lose a few pounds before my Bahamas trip.....running is what I need.

stlchiefs
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm a fan. As has been stated, it doesn't work well if you're changing pace often and drastically (sprinting) or running on a treadmill (it was not meant for this). If you calibrate it correctly it will be pretty exact, I'd say w/in 1/10 of a mile on most runs, if not dead on. If you want to be safe, overrun your calibration, I'd rather run a bit more than I think I did than vice versa.

It's really not that hard to set up, you plug it in to your Ipod and put the sensor in your shoe or in a pouch. No you do not need Nike shoes you can buy a pouch and wear the sensor on your laces.

If you're running outside and aren't good with distances, like taking different routes, like to be able to track your pace or distance as you run, like to see your improvement, etc. then this product is worth the $29.

MIAdragon
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
MIA.....I'm going to try this. Going to go out probably today and get set up. I need to lose a few pounds before my Bahamas trip.....running is what I need.

I went to 2 places with no luck trying to find it today. Where in the Bahamas are you going?

Mr. Plow
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I went to 2 places with no luck trying to find it today. Where in the Bahamas are you going?

Nassau.....staying at Sandals. Going in May.

I really don't need to lose wait....just need to get it off my gut.