PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Larry English in Rd 2?

Mr. Laz
02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
doesn't have great numbers but could be an outside rush backer for us in a 3-4(if we really do switch)

blue collar tough guy who can rush the passer

---------------------------------------------------------
Larry English DE/OLB 6'3 255 Northern Illinois

English had a huge freshman year, tallying a career high 78 tackles, seven for loss, and a sack. He became one of the more feared pass rushers in college football as a sophomore, finishing the year with 51 tackles, 16 for loss, and 12 sacks. As a junior, English became a two time 1st team all MAC selection after posting 67 tackles, 17 for loss, and 10.5 sacks

Strengths
English is one of the most natural pass rushers in the draft. He has an array of pass rush moves that allow him to apply consistent pressure off the edge. He has tremendous quickness off the snap, and shows the agility to get around the tackle and lay a hit on the quarterback. English is a fluid athlete and can change direction and diagnose the run and change his course to make the play against a back. He is active on the perimeter and shows the ability to stop the run and not just attack the quarterback.

Weaknesses
English is a tweener at the NFL level. He lacks the size to play end on an every down basis, and may have to play in a 3-4 defense. The question at that spot is, does he have the closing speed to finish plays off. He is more quick than fast, and may have trouble closing on the action in space.

Future
English is a talented football player and has natural instincts and pass rush ability should allow him to be a productive NFL player. He may not rate as high as some of the underclassmen tweeners that may declare, but he is an option in the mid rounds that could make his team very happy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
That scouting report is out of date.

He weighed 274 at the combine. 4-3 teams will look at him as a DE. He'll probably go between 20-30.

The Franchise
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
How about Conner Barwin? I'd take a look at him at the top of round 2.

CupidStunt
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Absolutely.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM
How about Conner Barwin? I'd take a look at him at the top of round 2..
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u79CJdrxZbo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Mr. Laz
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Larry English
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ad0Famkaas&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

missinDThomas
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Larry English indeed.

Heard an interview with him sounds like a good kid with his head on his shoulders.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
The thing about English is that he may be maxed out. Barwin has Jared Allen type upside.

Chiefnj2
02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
If KC goes to a 3-4 English could drop a few pounds to try to gain back some speed.

missinDThomas
02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
The thing about English is that he may be maxed out. Barwin has Jared Allen type upside.

Believe it or not I am going to to agree with you here Hamas

seems to have been a decent B-Ball player too

NIUhuskies
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
English is my boy, i know him real well from college. The combine weight on nfl.com was wrong, he weighed in at 255 at the combine, and he did say on a radio interview that he had long interviews w Miami and KC. Kid is a freak and knows how to rush the passer. Real nice kid as well, id love to see him in KC

bdeg
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM

Agreed. I noticed he had a great broad jump, shows good explosion. Video reminded me of JA too.

Larry English looks like he's strong enough to play the 4-3.