PDA

View Full Version : Football SURPRISE!! Snyder may overpay for another FA (Haynesworth)!

bowener
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Not sure how credible the source, but Snyder seems like the guy to pay $100 million for AH.

The Washington Redskins will break the bank to sign Albert Haynesworth. My source tells me to look for a contract that could break $100 million with an average of $15 million to $16 million per.

Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/02/albert_haynesworth_will_be_a_w.html)

CaliforniaChief
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't know...I just keep hearing all this stuff about how great Haynesworth is, but if he were so great wouldn't the Titans want to keep him? Or is this a cap issue for them? And once I saw Washington was ready to pay him, I decided it would be wise to stay away from him.

milkman
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't know...I just keep hearing all this stuff about how great Haynesworth is, but if he were so great wouldn't the Titans want to keep him? Or is this a cap issue for them? And once I saw Washington was ready to pay him, I decided it would be wise to stay away from him.

Hayneworth agreed to sign on with the Titans last year on the condition they would not tag him with the franchise label again this year.

They want to keep him, he just wants to dip into the free agent waters.

My concern is that once he signs a big mutiyear deal, he'll become fat and happy and lazy.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Haynesworth seems to be a great player when he wants to be. Up until last year and some of the previous year he was best known for stomping on some dude's face and underachieving. I sure would like to have him lining up next to Dorsey if you could count on him bringing it each play, which is likely he may not after getting a $100 million payday.

blueballs
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I thought Snyder learned from his mistakes

Crush
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I thought Snyder learned from his mistakes

You cannot teach a dog new tricks.

Barret
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
From NFL.com. I am going to combine tackles that were solo and assist

2002: Games = 16 TT = 30 Sacks = 1
2003: Games = 12 TT = 32 Sacks = 2.5
2004: Games = 10 TT = 36 Sacks = 1
2005: Games = 14 TT = 52 Sacks = 3
2006: Games = 11 TT = 30 Sacks = 2
2007: Games = 13 TT = 40 Sacks = 6
2008: games = 14 TT = 51 Sacks = 8.5

I am unsure about why he cant play all 16 games. Is it health or something else
8.5 sacks in the "money year" so he can go out and get a big fat contract somewhere.

I think I remember someone else posting about how Haynesworth will revert back to nothing as soon as he gets his payday.

Looking at the other DT's on the team they all got about 4 or 5 sacks last season.

Basileus777
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't really see the basis for the idea that he will just get lazy after he gets paid other than the fact that he's fat and plays DT. The guy has never even signed a contract outside of his rookie one, he doesn't have a history of this.

Go Mizzou & Chiefs
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
The skins pass rush will be beastly

milkman
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't really see the basis for the idea that he will just get lazy after he gets paid other than the fact that he's fat and plays DT. The guy has never even signed a contract outside of his rookie one, he doesn't have a history of this.

There's some people who think he was lazy and lacked motivation until his final contract year, when he saw $$$ ahead, myself included.

Basileus777
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
There's some people who think he was lazy and lacked motivation until his final contract year, when he saw $$$ ahead, myself included.

He's been dominant the last two years. I don't know how you could determine that it wasn't because he simply got better, but because it was a contract year.

milkman
02-25-2009, 07:39 PM
He's been dominant the last two years. I don't know how you could determine that it wasn't because he simply got better, but because it was a contract year.

The feeling is he should have started to improve by his third year, but didn't until his 5th year, his contract year.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
i wanted Haynesworth too ...... but that is crazy money

he misses 2/3 games ever year with some kind of injury

this whole FA season is gonna be really fugged up

players getting waaaay too much cash imo

Boris The Great
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
The feeling is he should have started to improve by his third year

The feeling is. You cant argue with that kind of logic.

milkman
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
The feeling is. You cant argue with that kind of logic.

I'm sorry, dumbass, but this is speculative.

There is no way that any of us are in position to know anything for certain.

We can only draw conclusions based on what we know.

He didn't show up and start playing until his contract year.

But I guess it logical to assume that it was just a happy fucking coincidence that he "got it" just as his contract was set to expire and the dollars would start rolling in.

God damn, some people are just looking to start some stupid shit.

Boris The Great
02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
God damn, some people are just looking to start some stupid shit.

Hate to break it to you, Francis, but you started the stupid shit.

Its one thing to say you are wary of a guy who didnt come on until it was time for him to get paid. Plenty of people like to say stuff like that. But you didnt stop there. No, you hit us with THE FEELING IS HE SHOULD HAVE STARTED TO IMPROVE BY HIS THIRD YEAR.

That isnt just stupid shit, its laughable bullshit. God forbid someone might have taken a little longer to get it than THE FEELING thought he should.

blueballs
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
No one cares about the stomping now
that's hard to believe

milkman
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Hate to break it to you, Francis, but you started the stupid shit.

Its one thing to say you are wary of a guy who didnt come on until it was time for him to get paid. Plenty of people like to say stuff like that. But you didnt stop there. No, you hit us with THE FEELING IS HE SHOULD HAVE STARTED TO IMPROVE BY HIS THIRD YEAR.

That isnt just stupid shit, its laughable bullshit. God forbid someone might have taken a little longer to get it than THE FEELING thought he should.

JFC.

DTs usually get it by their third year, dumbass.

It's not like I'm asking too ****ing much.

But you just have to come in here and show your ass.

BigRock
02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
This post shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of signing Haynesworth, but more and more I'm finding the whole "contract year" topic to be pretty tired.

That strategy where a player doesn't give 100% until his final year might have worked for a while, but I think most of the sporting world has caught up to it. Are we to believe the players don't realize the jig is up?

If a guy is only motivated because of money, why wouldn't he work hard the year BEFORE his contract year so that nobody can say "well hell he only showed up in his contract year" when it comes time to pay him?

The fewer teams that raise that red flag, the more suitors a player will have. The more suitors a player has, the more money he can get. And if they can't figure this out for themselves, they have agents who will explain it to them in great detail.

Maybe I have amnesia, but is there a high profile player like a Haynesworth over the past few years who really fits this description? Looked great for a year, got his money, and then went right back to being average?

I tend to think the guys who would truly be "contract year" players have smartened up and aren't making it as obvious these days. Which means the guys who are getting "contract year" attached to them probably don't deserve it.

OnTheWarpath15
02-25-2009, 09:57 PM
This post shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of signing Haynesworth, but more and more I'm finding the whole "contract year" topic to be pretty tired.

That strategy where a player doesn't give 100% until his final year might have worked for a while, but I think most of the sporting world has caught up to it. Are we to believe the players don't realize the jig is up?

If a guy is only motivated because of money, why wouldn't he work hard the year BEFORE his contract year so that nobody can say "well hell he only showed up in his contract year" when it comes time to pay him?

No need to read past here.

In today's FA market, in ANY sport, guys are gonna get way more than they deserve, regardless of any concerns about a "contract year performance."

There' always someone willing to overpay for someone with a ton of red flags.

Usually Dan Snyder, Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

soundmind
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM

The fewer teams that raise that red flag, the more suitors a player will have. The more suitors a player has, the more money he can get. And if they can't figure this out for themselves, they have agents who will explain it to them in great detail.

Maybe I have amnesia, but is there a high profile player like a Haynesworth over the past few years who really fits this description? Looked great for a year, got his money, and then went right back to being average?

I tend to think the guys who would truly be "contract year" players have smartened up and aren't making it as obvious these days. Which means the guys who are getting "contract year" attached to them probably don't deserve it.

I have to disagree, I wish the term "contract year" never applied, but that's not the world we live in. Haynesworth is the definition of "contract year" player. And we need not look any further than our own #27 for further evidence of this epidemic. This guy is LJ, just twice his size. LJ worked his ass off until it came time to sign the second contract.

Every single one of these guys who walks into the office and says "I'ma get mines" is thinking about one thing and one thing only. And it's not football, championships, teams, or fans - it's solely about gettin' paid as much as they can b/c their window to reap a mint of money so they never have to work again, is limited.

And this guy is a character NIGHTMARE. The only shot he has at disproving any of this is to grow up, which it is possible he will do. However, when he get's his 3rd game check in a row for a $1M/per....growing up will go right out the window. I'm almost willing to predict a dozen illegitimate children, a diamond watch the size of his head, 15-20 cars, and he'll do something or get caught in something ridiculous in D.C., that's just a matter of time. I don't know if you've been, but DC can be sketchy...

We're all motivated by something, a lot of people it's dollars. And you can't really knock that too hard. But I'll say this, if I made $15M/yr - I'd be giving about half of it away to people that needed it - and THAT would be my motivation to succeed.

blueballs
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
He's #1 on the FA bust list

BigRock
02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
No need to read past here.

Well, I wish you would have, 'cause then I wouldn't have to repeat myself.

Where did I say nobody would overpay? What I said was that if a guy had more suitors, he'd make more money. If there were more teams in the mix, the crazy overpaying owners who overpay would have to overpay MORE to get these players. Then the players make more money.

It's great for Hanesworth if he gets a big contract from Danny Snyder, but who's Snyder bidding against? Not to mention that if he does sign with the Redskins, it's not like it's the final result of months of crafting maneuvering. It'd be like a perfect storm of circumstances that made it possible.

What if, say, Peppers hadn't been tagged and Snyder wanted to throw big money at him instead? Then who's going to overpay Haynesworth? Jerry Jones doesn't need him. And even crazy ol' Al isn't going to break the bank after last year's debacle.

If being a one-year contract wonder and expecting he could get a guy like Snyder to overpay him was Albert's devious master plan, it may well work, but it could have just easily blown up in his face. Meanwhile, what I suggested is fairly free of that kind of risk AND it involves making more money.

I know which one I'd sign up for.

BigRock
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Haynesworth is the definition of "contract year" player.

Not yet, he's not. He has to regress after he gets his money first, then he will be.

And we need not look any further than our own #27 for further evidence of this epidemic. LJ worked his ass off until it came time to sign the second contract.

If that's your opinion of LJ, it's the perfect fit of the description I laid out before. LJ was not a guy who only became good during his contract year. He had prior seasons of strong play to eliminate that concern before he said "GOTCHA" and made it rain with $1000 bills.

Technically, though, I don't think LJ ever had a contract year, since he held out with a year or so still left on his original deal.

tk13
02-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I think it's less a contract year and more of a DT thing. I think DT is a position where players drop off a bit after a huge contract. Maybe evidence shows against that, but it seems like a very tempermental position.

Boris The Great
02-26-2009, 01:01 AM
JFC.

DTs usually get it by their third year, dumbass.

Usually? THE FEELING? I love that all you have brought to the table here are cliches and generalizations, yet you act pissy and insulted that someone would dare to question them.

soundmind
02-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Not yet, he's not. He has to regress after he gets his money first, then he will be.

If that's your opinion of LJ, it's the perfect fit of the description I laid out before. LJ was not a guy who only became good during his contract year. He had prior seasons of strong play to eliminate that concern before he said "GOTCHA" and made it rain with $1000 bills.

Technically, though, I don't think LJ ever had a contract year, since he held out with a year or so still left on his original deal.

I think Larry's holding out basically made that contract year scenario, but whatever....pickin peanuts out of sh*t there I think...

On Albert, I was more professing what I believe will occur. Obviously he hasn't had the chance to regress, but I think his character will be a catalyst for that spiral. Hell, dude went on the radio in DC this evening apparently and got to asking a ton of questions about the city and stadium and whatever....damn Albert.

News flash son: you're still technically under contract for another day, you might not want to lift the veil too high and screw something up b/c you can't keep your fat, greedy mouth shut for another 27 hours. I know tampering is rampant, but jesus, at least try to keep it covered.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/25/haynesworth-wants-to-prove-the-naysayers-wrong/

kcxiv
02-26-2009, 01:09 AM
with how much cap room we got, i wouldnt mind if they overpaid a little bit for a player. I would take oline though.

soundmind
02-26-2009, 01:13 AM
with how much cap room we got, i wouldnt mind if they overpaid a little bit for a player. I would take oline though.

:Pimp: That slightly overpaid player might well be Jason Brown if we're lucky!

smittysbar
02-26-2009, 01:26 AM
He is a beast, teams have to prepare for him. If his number go down....fine he is taking on more blockers. Fuck Gruden said he is one of the MOST dominate DTs he has seen. He also said everyone will give the big bucks to unproven guys in the draft, but this is a guy that is pretty much unstoppable, give him the money, you won't be disappointed.

I respect your opinion Milkman but, he came in a year late, who cares. It doesn't change the fact that the guy is dominate right now. People can say what they want, but people that play around him say he is not lazy. No one likes to be made a fool, besides a select few, I don't believe he is one of those. JMO.

Consistent1
02-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Here is a sure fire hot topic. Haha. If the Chiefs did sign Haynesworth, would it make a pick of Curry a better option to you guys? If the QB situation is such a debate, then why not stack the D a little more? Not saying it will happen, but who knows?

Mr. Laz
02-26-2009, 10:18 AM
He's #1 on the FA bust list
you're just afraid of free agents

Mr. Laz
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
i wonder how about playing a 3-4 vs 4-3 defense effects Haynesworth?

would you make him your LDE in a 3-4 and get a big fat NT in there?

jidar
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Holy piss. Okay first that is probably too much to pay for any FA, but you guys trying to talk down Haynesworth as a player are full of shit.

Albert Haynesworth right now is the best DT in football, period. The Titans were #2 against the run the past season and #1 against the run the season before and Haynesworth is the primary reason why.

Saying he's just doing it for the contract is BS, he did it for two years and he's said in interviews the thing that finally clicked for him was he figured out his hand work and feels like he can shed blockers really easily now. That's just technique folks, it took a few years of practice but now he has a whole arsenal of moves, he's not just some bull rush strength player who will fade away when he doesn't want to try anymore.

Also, I think it's telling how we're talking about DTs and you jackasses are talking about sacks. Guess what, DT is a run stopping position, they don't get the sacks that DEs and OLBs get. Even so, with 8.5 sacks last year for Haynesworth leads all DTs in sacks. He would have a lot more tackles if teams bothered to run against him, but they don't because he almost single handedly shuts down the interior running game.

So the fact is, he's the best player in a very high paid position, and at 27 years old he's young and has a ton of gas left in the tank. Haynesworth is far and away the best player in FA right now, and although any player can be a FA bust he really doesn't look like one.

Is he worth $15m/year though? Yeah... um... well I guess if you're the Redskins and can afford to pay that kind of cash then he is, but damn. I really wouldn't want the Chiefs to sign him at that price.

I will say this though, with AH gone the Titans defense is going to be a lot softer.

htismaqe
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I've said it since the old Star BB days and I'll say it again now since I haven't been around the last year or so...

Never EVER give the richest contract in the NFL to a free agent defensive tackle, ESPECIALLY one with Haynesworth's history. They NEVER pan out.

blueballs
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
He lives

Mr. Flopnuts
02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I've said it since the old Star BB days and I'll say it again now since I haven't been around the last year or so...

Never EVER give the richest contract in the NFL to a free agent defensive tackle, ESPECIALLY one with Haynesworth's history. They NEVER pan out.

After his face stomping incident it should be pretty obvious. He'll get paid, and he won't produce like JA is.

DJ's left nut
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I've said it before and will continue saying it.

Even if Haynseworth were to get fat and happy, he's still a behemoth of a MFer that will occupy space and blockers. He may not get 10 sacks under a new deal, but he'll absolutely occupy two blockers and free up our edge rushers. He'll absolutely swallow up the middle. One doesn't have to be a 'motor' guy when you're the size of a compact car.

He's the least likely FA to be a true 'bust' IMO. You'll have a useful player for the length of that contract. Will he play to the level he was last season? Perhaps not, but he'll still be a force. And I see nothing from Haynesworth to suggest he's any more/less likely than anyone else out there to dog it once he gets his deal. The difference is that if Suggs slacks off, he's useless. If Albert does, he's still an anchor in the middle of the line.

I don't recall the exact statistic, but over the last 3 seasons, the Titans D has given up somewhere near 10 more points per game with Haynesworth injured/suspended than they have with him on it. That's not just a contract year stat and it certainly supports the idea that he's a game changer. 10 points in the NFL may as well be 25 in the NBA. That's a LeBron/Michael/Kobe level of dominance. There may be some correlation/causation elements to consider there, but it's still pretty obvious that he's a dynamite player.

As for 'overpaying', who cares? It's monopoly money. I'd be just fine throwing obscene amounts of money at the guy.

blueballs
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I smell money
and cheeseburgers

htismaqe
02-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Even if Haynseworth were to get fat and happy, he's still a behemoth of a MFer that will occupy space and blockers. He may not get 10 sacks under a new deal, but he'll absolutely occupy two blockers and free up our edge rushers.

What edge rushers? ;)

In all seriousness, there's just a few positions that have proven over time that you absolutely have to grow your own - QB and DT are two of them. Given what we've invested at DT, I'd prefer to concentrate our efforts elsewhere for now.

blaise
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Just a note on the source- Lance Zierlein does have good NFL contacts and he does get good information. His dad is the O-Line coach for the Steelers and has been around the NFL for years, plus Lance knows a lot of NFL people on his own. I believe he heard something solid on it.

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM

THIS.

blaise
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I think Danny Snyder must have forgotten about Dana Stubblefield.

OnTheWarpath15
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I think Danny Snyder must have forgotten about Dana Stubblefield.

He must have some serious short term memory problems.

When is the last time the Redskins got the better end of a trade, or signed a guy in FA that was actually worth what they paid him?

Basileus777
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
He must have some serious short term memory problems.

When is the last time the Redskins got the better end of a trade, or signed a guy in FA that was actually worth what they paid him?

Santana Moss comes to mind. They got him for a disgruntled and injury prone Coles.

blaise
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
They traded Sean Gilbert for two first round picks. That deal may have been the year before Snyder bought the team though. I can't remember who they drafted. One year they drafted Lavar Arrington and Courtney Brown (I think Brown is right), but I don't know which pick was theirs and which would have been considered one from Carolina.