PDA

View Full Version : Life Giants sign tagged RB Jacobs to four-year deal

the Talking Can
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Giants sign tagged RB Jacobs to four-year deal

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Free Agency 2009, New York Giants

The Giants gave RB Brandon Jacobs the franchise tag, and now they treated him like a franchise player.

The Giants signed Jacobs to a four-year, $25 million deal that includes $13 million guaranteed and $15 million in the deal’s first two years. Jacobs agents, Andrew Kessler and Justin Schulman, had been discussing the deal with the Giants for weeks, and it finally was consummated Wednesday.

Jacobs isn’t going anywhere. New York made a Giant signing.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/giants-sign-jacobs-to-four-year-deal/

RealSNR
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Derrick Ward is better.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Not sure if Ward is better. Ward has never been the #1 RB and he has only gotten 125 and 182 carries the last two years. He will likely get the chance to prove he is a #1 back in the league. I think he could be better than Jacobs, but he is not there yet. But, Jacobs just got paid, so as RBs go, he is likely to start his inevitable decline.

Basileus777
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Ward isn't better, not a chance.

The biggest concern with Jacobs is injuries, if he stays healthy a four year deal isn't bad. The Giants pretty much had to sign him, without him they have no real weapons on offense. They already have the worst receiving corps. in the NFL.

RealSNR
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Not sure if Ward is better. Ward has never been the #1 RB and he has only gotten 125 and 182 carries the last two years. He will likely get the chance to prove he is a #1 back in the league. I think he could be better than Jacobs, but he is not there yet. But, Jacobs just got paid, so as RBs go, he is likely to start his inevitable decline.Jacobs gets injured a lot. And he's so set as a north-south runner that he has no vision.

Ward doesn't have the physical gifts that Jacobs does, but he's better because he plays smarter and can follow a block much better.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I can't think of many 256 lb. RBs that are not north south runners. Why is this a bad thing? Injuries are his only concern.

RealSNR
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I can't think of many 256 lb. RBs that are not north south runners. Why is this a bad thing? Injuries are his only concern.That's it.

Also, you limit your options on short-yardage situations. You better hope Jacobs is healthy and fresh when you give him the ball, otherwise the first down will not be had.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
That's it.

Also, you limit your options on short-yardage situations. You better hope Jacobs is healthy and fresh when you give him the ball, otherwise the first down will not be had.

What is this supposed to mean?

I cannot think of many backs you would want over Jacobs in short-yardage situations. Give the ball to anyone that is not healthy and fresh and the likelihood of picking up a first down is not likely.

The Franchise
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
That's not a bad deal for a RB. I was thinking he was going to want HUGE money.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree. Not a bad deal at all. When thinking of a bad RB deal, LJ seems to come to mind.

RealSNR
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
What is this supposed to mean?

I cannot think of many backs you would want over Jacobs in short-yardage situations. Give the ball to anyone that is not healthy and fresh and the likelihood of picking up a first down is not likely.So wouldn't it make sense to give the ball to a RB that is healthy and fresh more than half the time?

Fritz88
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
He's a work horse.

The_Doctor10
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Not sure if Ward is better. Ward has never been the #1 RB and he has only gotten 125 and 182 carries the last two years. He will likely get the chance to prove he is a #1 back in the league. I think he could be better than Jacobs, but he is not there yet. But, Jacobs just got paid, so as RBs go, he is likely to start his inevitable decline.

RBs don't go on the decline as soon as they get their big contract; they go downhill as soon as they hit 30. Like clockwork. Now, you give the money to the wrong type of guy, say LJ or Alexander, and you have a problem.

Jacobs seems to be the kind of guy who has his head on, unlike Alexander, who you could see was going to be useless as soon as he got that 20 million guaranteed or whatever it was.

DrRyan
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
So wouldn't it make sense to give the ball to a RB that is healthy and fresh more than half the time?

Sky is still blue, water is still wet.:thumb:

Go Mizzou & Chiefs
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Jacobs is another LJ just wait

WhitiE
02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Ward isn't better, not a chance.

The biggest concern with Jacobs is injuries, if he stays healthy a four year deal isn't bad. The Giants pretty much had to sign him, without him they have no real weapons on offense. They already have the worst receiving corps. in the NFL.

u sure they have THE worst? Jacksonville's is pretty bad.....

RealSNR
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
u sure they have THE worst? Jacksonville's is pretty bad.....San Francisco? Oakland? Seattle?

Basileus777
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
u sure they have THE worst? Jacksonville's is pretty bad.....

Domenik Hixon is their best receiver. The Giants have a bunch of guys who haven't proved they can be a reliable #2 receiver at this point.