PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli - NFL Free Agency Questions

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 08:10 AM
On the eve of 2009 NFL free agency period, some questions about Scott Pioli and how the Chiefs will handle free agency.

With Scott’s friendship with the “Bills”, how will that affect what free agents KC looks at? It is rumored that the Miami Dolphins are very interested in Center Jason Brown from the Ravens. Does Scott stay away from Jason Brown out of respect for Bill Parcells? I started wondering about this when it looked like Channing Crowder and Vernon Carey might be free agents from Miami. They’ve both re-signed with Miami but there are other players to consider. The same thoughts on free agents and New England, will the friendship affect free agent negotiations for Kansas City? Some people have written that the Chiefs might stay away from any negotiations for Matt Cassel because neither side would want to possibly get bettered by the other side in a trade. I hope Pioli’s past and current relationship with Parcells and Belichick would not interfere with Kansas City possibly going after a player like Jason Brown.

I know that New England from the past has been active in signing free agents, but have they ever been early players when FA begins? Was Adalius Thomas in 2007 an early signing? I don’t expect any KC signings until the NFL gets into the FA bargain period.

What football position is KC most likely to go after in free agency? I think LB will be a position they could sign two free agents. That is based on New England’s past signings, the available LB free agents, and the Chiefs need at that position. We have a pretty young defensive back group. Is there a good inexpensive DB that might provide some leadership for the Chiefs? Pioli and New England have signed a lot of free agent DBs. Any other positions or players you think are must haves for the Chiefs?

Not really a Pioli question, but KC has a lot of cap space but my impression of Clark Hunt is he is not really into coming up with large amounts of cash for bonus money. Is that true and if so, how will that affect the signing of any key FAs? One player I’m thinking about is Jason Brown and what it will take to sign him.

I'm thinking that Jason Brown will either be a last minute re-signing with the Ravens or maybe one of those guys that signs and hour after free agency begins with a team like the Dolphins.

PhillyChiefFan
02-26-2009, 08:22 AM
On the eve of 2009 NFL free agency period, some questions about Scott Pioli and how the Chiefs will handle free agency.

With Scott’s friendship with the “Bills”, how will that affect what free agents KC looks at? It is rumored that the Miami Dolphins are very interested in Center Jason Brown from the Ravens. Does Scott stay away from Jason Brown out of respect for Bill Parcells? I started wondering about this when it looked like Channing Crowder and Vernon Carey might be free agents from Miami. They’ve both re-signed with Miami but there are other players to consider. The same thoughts on free agents and New England, will the friendship affect free agent negotiations for Kansas City? Some people have written that the Chiefs might stay away from any negotiations for Matt Cassel because neither side would want to possibly get bettered by the other side in a trade. I hope Pioli’s past and current relationship with Parcells and Belichick would not interfere with Kansas City possibly going after a player like Jason Brown.

I know that New England from the past has been active in signing free agents, but have they ever been early players when FA begins? Was Adalius Thomas in 2007 an early signing? I don’t expect any KC signings until the NFL gets into the FA bargain period.

What football position is KC most likely to go after in free agency? I think LB will be a position they could sign two free agents. That is based on New England’s past signings, the available LB free agents, and the Chiefs need at that position. We have a pretty young defensive back group. Is there a good inexpensive DB that might provide some leadership for the Chiefs? Pioli and New England have signed a lot of free agent DBs. Any other positions or players you think are must haves for the Chiefs?

Not really a Pioli question, but KC has a lot of cap space but my impression of Clark Hunt is he is not really into coming up with large amounts of cash for bonus money. Is that true and if so, how will that affect the signing of any key FAs? One player I’m thinking about is Jason Brown and what it will take to sign him.

I'm thinking that Jason Brown will either be a last minute re-signing with the Ravens or maybe one of those guys that signs and hour after free agency begins with a team like the Dolphins.

I think they both know that this is business.

And both of them seem like they are stubborn and will work for the best for their respective team.

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
I think they both know that this is business.

And both of them seem like they are stubborn and will work for the best for their respective team.

I can see that point but you can see from past actions that loyalty and the coaching family is also very important to them, so I can't help but think that it has to affect them a little bit.

InChiefsHeaven
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I guess you should ask if Parcells and Belicheck will let Pioli have those players out of loyalty and respect to him...

...dude, it's a business. PLain and simple. KC has the cap room, if Pioli wants, Pioli gets.

Amnorix
02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
While there's alot of mutual respect, nobody is going to self-sacrifice here.

The Patriots HAVE been aggressive at the start of free agency at times. Both Adalius Thomas and Colvin were pretty early in FA. The Pats were also hot after Derrick Mason but he chose the Ravens over us due to, I understand, his wife's preference for Baltimore.

Other times, it's looked like the Pats were doing nothing because others were out there spending silly money, and the Pats refuse to get involved in those games. If they don't perceive there being value, they just forget it and move on.

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I guess you should ask if Parcells and Belicheck will let Pioli have those players out of loyalty and respect to him...

...dude, it's a business. PLain and simple. KC has the cap room, if Pioli wants, Pioli gets.

I don't want to beat a dead horse because I agree that it is a buisness and I would expect Scott to do what is best for the Chiefs. It's not the same relationship though, Bill Parcells is Scott's father-in-law. I know Bill Parcell is going to expect a "seniors" respect.

dj56dt58
02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse because I agree that it is a buisness and I would expect Scott to do what is best for the Chiefs. It's not the same relationship though, Bill Parcells is Scott's father-in-law. I know Bill Parcell is going to expect a "seniors" respect.

I dont expect that at all...

Coogs
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM

I would think Bill Parcells would "expect" his son-in-law to to everything possible to make the Chiefs a year in and year out contender by whatever means he needs to do to accomplish that feat. Anything less, and I would think he would almost lose some "respect" for his son-in-law.

philfree
02-26-2009, 09:39 AM

I believe that Pioli has been competing against the whole NFL including Bill Parcells since he landed his job with the Pats. This article is stupid.

PhilFree:arrow:

sel1965
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree this is stupid. Bill and I think Bill B would feel the same way. They both know what it takes to win. I would think they would expect Pioli to do whatever he needed to do to make the KC Chiefs a winner for years to come. Anything less would be a failure and I don't see either wanting Scott to fail. When the time comes and the teams play each other all bets are off at least until the end of the game. It's all about winning nothing more nothing less. If you feel otherwise then you have never participated in any sort of competive sport.

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
I believe that Pioli has been competing against the whole NFL including Bill Parcells since he landed his job with the Pats. This article is stupid.

PhilFree:arrow:

Well let's change the direction of it then. I just brought it up as a question. Does past and present relationships enter into the pursuit of a free agent? It is Very obvious that the consensus is, there is NO way that would happen.

So how long between the time free agents are available to sign and we have a signing and who will be the first major free agent to sign?

How long before the Chiefs sign a free agent, what position, and who will it be?

MGRS13
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
First off I will say, like I have many times before, that in FA money talks. Now I will contradict my self and say the chiefs cannot compete with Miami and NE in FA. NE is a superbowl contender year in and year out if they come calling and offer a decent signing bonus you sign. The rings the thing right. Now Miami is hard to compete with well because its Miami I may personally hate florida but come Jan. Feb. in KC those beaches will look alot better to most players. Miami also has Parcells who a lot of players like to play for. So if those are the big competitors in FA it won't be because of past relationships it will be because of that.

Fat Elvis
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM

I think Parcell's would view it as a slap in the face. It would mean that Pioli didn't learn one damn thing from him. Do you think Parcells would want his son in law to act like a loser? That would reflect badly on Parcells.

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
NFL Free Agency begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday. By 3:00 a.m of same day, Albert Haynesworth signs with Washington Redskins. This will be followed with Ray Lewis signing with Dallas Cowboys and Jason Brown signing with Miami Dolphins.

Kansas City will break into the free agent market much later with the signing of linebackers, Andra Davis from Cleveland and Mike Peterson from Jacksonville, and safety, Jim Leonhard, Baltimore.

Frosty
02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Andra Davis from Cleveland

:thumb:

Wilson8
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Why I even thought of this to begin with was the potential free agents of Vernon Carey and Channing Crowder and I wondered if KC would look at them. It has become a mute point because of the Carey and Crowder signings.

Forget that I asked the relationship question.

I think there are lots of pieces to the puzzle of putting the roster together and Scott, Todd, and Clark will do an excellent job of putting the team together.