PDA

View Full Version : Life Hardwood Floors -- no, not that kind; just boring old floors

Amnorix
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Anyone have any strong thoughts/opinions on "prefinished" hardwood floors versus, unfinished? We're considering our options for redoing the living room floor.

MIAdragon
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Go unfinished then design it like this.

http://blogharbor.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/boston-gardens-parquet-floor.jpg

Joe Seahawk
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
We recently installed 3/4 " prefinished tigerwood planks (varying lengths) I installed it myself Approx 1,000 sf. It was a little tricky but came out beautiful.. The floors has microbevel edges that I honestly didn't think I would like, but I ended up liking it way more than I thought I would. The flooring I used was made by builders Choice I had no issues with the quality or finish at all.

It will look even better in several years when it is refinished and the microbevel edges are sanded flush.

Brock
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Finishing is a pretty labor intensive process. I would just buy finished wood, and I'd also go ahead and put the heated underlayment in too.

stlchiefs
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Bob Villa liked Bellawood so much he used it in his own home. And if Bob Villa uses it, WELL...

I don't know if anyone else has heard that commercial, but I hate it. WELLLLL What!

You need to talk to our resident Lumber Liquidators employee from Wichita, I forget his name though. Sorry, that's all I got. Oh yeah, there's this guy Phobia too.

rad
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Bob Villa liked Bellawood so much he used it in his own home. And if Bob Villa uses it, WELL...

I don't know if anyone else has heard that commercial, but I hate it. WELLLLL What!

You need to talk to our resident Lumber Liquidators employee from Wichita, I forget his name though. Sorry, that's all I got. Oh yeah, there's this guy Phobia too.

ziggy-something. Or is it zootedgranny?

Ceej
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Pro's and Con's to both. Is price an issue? Not to be nosy.
Posted via Mobile Device

rad
02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro's and Con's to both. Is price an issue? Not to be nosy.
Posted via Mobile Device

This guy.

Ceej
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Ziggy or jizzy - it's all the same. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

stlchiefs
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
jizzy - it's all the same. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Try to keep it PG around here will ya!

RJ
02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I sell floors for a living and, IMO, you're much better off buying a factory finished floor. An on-site finish will never be as strong as the UV cured finishes applied at the factory. Yes, the cost of materials will be higher but the labor costs will be considerably lower.

There are dozens of brands and hundreds of colors/species to choose from. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about products and installation. One disclaimer.....most of the homes here in New Mexico are on a slab and our climate is considerably drier than yours so a local dealer might be more informative about some issues.