PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Boston Globe: Mike Vrabel analysis

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Mike Vrabel analysis (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/mike_vrabel_ana.html)

After stepping back to digest the surprising news of a Patriots-Chiefs trade with Mike Vrabel, two thoughts came to mind:

# 1) How much are finances a part of this decision?

# 2) Could this be part of a larger deal with the Chiefs that might involve Matt Cassel?

The 33-year-old Vrabel was entering the final year of his contract in 2009. He was due to earn $2.2 million in base salary, would receive a $1 million roster bonus, and count $4.3 million against the salary cap.

Given Vrabel's contributions to the Patriots -- on the field and in the locker room -- that doesn't seem like much to digest.

So why make the deal?

From a Chiefs perspective, they had one of the youngest rosters in the NFL last season, and new general manager Scott Pioli understands the importance of veteran leadership in the locker room. Vrabel will provide that in Kansas City, likely as a team captain.

The question is why the Patriots would trade Vrabel.

Until more details become available on the trade itself -- and if this is the first domino to fall on a larger deal -- the answer to that question remains open-ended.

Huffman83
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
This is going to be a deal I can't help but think WTF?

I hope to eat crow and get proven wrong. But I want the Patriots scraps about as much as I want Jets rejects.

tyton75
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
He's still a solid LBer and a leader.. we need a ton of help and as long as we didn't give up a high draft pick, I'm all for it!

gta0012
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Larry johnson and we get a draft pick???

TRR
02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Larry johnson and we get a draft pick???

I would have thought so as well if NE didn't sign Fred Taylor earlier in the day.

gta0012
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
didnt see that. Well it has been a fun first day for free agency.

Blindside58
02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
He's still a solid LBer and a leader.. we need a ton of help and as long as we didn't give up a high draft pick, I'm all for it!

And the Patriots are all winners and the Chiefs are all losers! Just sayin..