PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Belichick on Vrabes and Cassel

BostonTim
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
The Patriots also have issued a release announcing the deal. And coach Bill Belichick gushed about both players.

"When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” Belichick said. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes. Mike Vrabel epitomizes everything a coach could seek in a professional football player: toughness, intelligence, playmaking, leadership, versatility, and consistency at the highest level. Behind the scenes, Mike's wit and personality is one of the things we have all enjoyed about coming to work every day.

"The toughest aspect of my job is the day I stop coaching people like Mike, who did everything in his power to contribute to team success. Of all the players I have coached in my career, there is nobody I enjoyed working with more than Mike In the same way people recognize guys like Troy Brown, we appreciate and thank Mike Vrabel. He is one of the very special Patriots champions."

Belichick also praised Cassel: "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career."

Cheers, BostonTim

Bowser
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Sure it's a repost buried somewhere in one of these threads, but thanks anyway.

How are Pats fans taking losing both Cassel and Vrabel for just a second rounder?

Skip Towne
02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow, how did they get all that info out of Mumbles?

smittysbar
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks, those merged threads suck ass, miss to much of this stuff

Rausch
02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow, how did they get all that info out of Mumbles?

His superpowers come from the hoody...

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Sure it's a repost buried somewhere in one of these threads, but thanks anyway.

How are Pats fans taking losing both Cassel and Vrabel for just a second rounder?

Not well. Not well at all.

Hammock Parties
02-28-2009, 04:43 PM
The Patsification of the Chiefs continues.

Bowser
02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Not well. Not well at all.

Heh, I imagine. You guys got worked. I'm suprised at it, actually.

Pioli Zombie
02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Patriot fans can be cynical whining crybabies too.

Both teams did great in this deal. Patriots got #34 plus freed up 20 million. Julius Peppers will help ease the pain
Posted via Mobile Device

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Patriot fans can be cynical whining crybabies too.

Both teams did great in this deal. Patriots got #34 plus freed up 20 million. Julius Peppers will help ease the pain
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, we definitely can be. Personally, I'm okay with the trade. There's going to be a lot of value at pick #34 in this draft, and I hope they take Barwin with it as a long-term Vrabel replacement.

I'm not sold on Peppers. A lot of money for a guy who's going into the second half of his career and has never played in the 3-4. the Pats also drafted Shawn Crable out of Michigan last year, as a 3-4 OLB, so maybe he and Pierre Woods are ready to make some contributions. If they draft an OLB this year as well, then I'm guessing that Adalius Thomas is going to get moved inside in the pretty near future, which would be good to see.

As a Pats fan, I'd have been a lot happier with the trade if it at least included a conditional pick next year, but I'm not going to get down about it or anything. If we use the cap space that's been freed up primarily to extend Wilfork and some of our other guys (the Pats have practically nobody signed past '09), I'll be happy. I'd also like to see some of this year's draft picks pushed out to 2010, since I don't think there are enough holes on the roster right now for the team to be able to draft 5+ guys who could contribute right away.

If I were a Chiefs fan, though, I'd be pretty psyched right now.

KChiefs1
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
I believe with the acquisition of Vrabel...Pioli has taken the heart & soul outta the Pats.

BradyFTW!
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I believe with the acquisition of Vrabel...Pioli has taken the heart & soul outta the Pats.

Nah, as long as they have Brady, they'll be fine. The idea of potentially losing Vrabel, Bruschi, and Harrison in the same offseason is a bit of a mojo killer, though. Looks to me like the Vrabel trade makes it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Bruschi will be back.