PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel pondering offer to become Chiefs D.C.

Just Passin' By
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd pass it on:

Waiting on Romeo: Former Browns coach Romeo Crennel is convalescing from successful hip replacement surgery and weighing an offer to become the defensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Chiefs are holding the position open for Crennel, who is waiting to learn exactly how long his rehabilitation process will keep him out. The Chiefs may have enticed Crennel a little bit more by trading for New England linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Whether or not Crennel accepts, he has decided not to remain with the Browns in an unspecified role offered by Mangini.

Crennel previously declined an offer to rejoin Charlie Weis as Notre Dame's defensive coordinator. Crennel and Weis were Belichick's coordinators during New England's three Super Bowl championship seasons.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/02/nfl_insider_what_recession_bro.html

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
yep yep, makes it all come together IMO

kcpasco
02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Ok Gang

CHENZ A!
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Lets get this guy. I've had a feeling it would happen all along.

Mr. Arrowhead
Patriots west?

The Bad Guy
I think this is a done deal.

Pendergast/Gibbs as LB coaches

Krumrie and Romeo coaching the DL, which makes keeping Krumrie managable.

Colier as DB coach.

Halfcan
02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
then we drft Raji

cdcox
Now that he's spilled the beans, he's out.

Hammock Parties
The Patsification of the Chiefs continues.

wazu
02-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh please. Please. Please make this happen. Pay him whatever it takes.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I think once the Chiefs meet with Aaron Curry for his pro day, it's an absolute no brainer at 3.

He's very similar to Patrick Willis coming out.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Also, kudos to Clark for shelling out the cash to field a super respectable staff.

CHENZ A!
Now that he's spilled the beans, he's out.

Oh crap you're right. No one talks about family business outside the family unless you want to get whacked. Shanahan sleeps with the fishes.

FloridaMan88
Get the man a wheelchair and wheel his ass to One Arrowhead Drive already.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I think once the Chiefs meet with Aaron Curry for his pro day, it's an absolute no brainer at 3.

I heavily disagree with this but hey ok.

The Bad Guy
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM

Of course you do.

You think that certain positions should never be in the top 5 unless you can rack up 15 sacks a year. I completely disagree with that.

I've watched enough of Aaron Curry to know he's a stud.

tboss27
How much good can occur in a 12 hours span? Evidently more than I could have ever imagined. We have a legit QB, the #3 pick, the Donks have pissed off their primadonna QB - cause they wanted ours more, and now we get a heck of a D Coordinator.

SAUTO
Also, kudos to Clark for shelling out the cash to field a super respectable staff.

yep that would make 2-3 former o coords(not sure,but 1 a former HC). 3 former d-coords(one a former head coach) pretty respectable IMO

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Of course you do.

You think that certain positions should never be in the top 5 unless you can rack up 15 sacks a year. I completely disagree with that.

And I know enough to know that if this team is going 3-4 which it looks like and takes a guy who has to play in the middle of that with the 3rd pick I'm just going to shake my head...

unothadeal
02-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Mecca what do you think of Crennel?

blueballs
02-28-2009, 11:24 PM
another ex-HC on the staff/Gretz

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Mecca what do you think of Crennel?

Well um he was fine as a DC but not so much as a HC so I guess the question you should ask yourself is was that defense him or Belichick?

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Of course you do.

I'm not doubting his talent, Frank.

But if you're comparing him to Willis (which I think you're being generous) and Willis went 11th (IIRC) overall, how can you justify taking him 3rd?

Pioli Zombie
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Well we can't have Belichick so the next best thing is Romeo. Bring him on!!!!!!!

And, once again, this would point to Raji
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think Curry sucks but if we're going 3-4 I don't want to take a LB with the 3rd pick...if they stay there you go Raji you can take a LB if you end up moving into the 8-15 range.

unothadeal
02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
lol.....pondering

SAUTO

But if you're comparing him to Willis (which I think you're being generous) and Willis went 11th (IIRC) overall, how can you justify taking him 3rd?

where was willis in terms of overall ranking that year(i'm asking because i dont know) and how stacked was the top of the draft(same thing)

Hammock Parties
I don't think Curry sucks but if we're going 3-4 I don't want to take a LB with the 3rd pick...if they stay there you go Raji you can take a LB if you end up moving into the 8-15 range.

Raji is worth the 3rd overall?

Is someone really gonna take him before 10-15?

Dayze
Once he comes off of his hip surgery, he could be a force at NT in the 3-4

Iowanian
I wonder what Crennel coming here would do to a potential(I know) situation of a trade with Cleveland for a certain, unnamed disgruntled nose tackle?

wazu
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Well um he was fine as a DC but not so much as a HC so I guess the question you should ask yourself is was that defense him or Belichick?

I think it was pretty clearly more Belichick. But Crennel was D-coordinator for 3 Superbowl winning Pats teams, including the one that stopped the seemingly unbeatable Rams in 2001. I'll take a guy with a record of success over guys with dubious records at best.

Dayze
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM

For once we get a 3 pick; ...and we're sort of in no-mans land.

I hope we can find a willing trade partner; maybe in the 6 to 9 range.

gonna be a fun draft.

kcpasco

What compensation would you expect for moving down in the 8-15 range?

A 2nd?

Just Passin' By

It's supposed to be a pretty deep draft for picking up 3/4 linebacker prospects. Toss in Vrabel to help steady the corps, and I think you could well be looking at Raji at the nose with Dorsey as one end.

Mecca

He moved himself up the board...I think his lowest landing spot is probably GB who is also switching to the 3-4 and doesn't have a nose.

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I wonder what Crennel coming here would do to a potential(I know) situation of a trade with Cleveland for a certain, unnamed disgruntled nose tackle?

oooohhhhh good thoughts

Mecca
It's supposed to be a pretty deep draft for picking up 3/4 linebacker prospects. Toss in Vrabel to help steady the corps, and I think you could well be looking at Raji at the nose with Dorsey as one end.

Look we agreed about something.

kcxiv

Look at that draft class. There was some very very good players that went in the top 10. Some were reaches, but overall, very solid.

Mecca
What compensation would you expect for moving down in the 8-15 range?

A 2nd?

If it's closer to 15 way more actually you should get more than a 2 if you drop to 8...

The Bad Guy
02-28-2009, 11:31 PM

Because I don't think that drafts are just a cookie cutter every year where you can say, "well this guy went this late one year, and if he's comparable to (x) player, he has to go this late."

There are too many variables in drafts like needs of teams ahead of you, strength of draft class to put a basic formula into play to say "this position is a reach at this pick."

The top half of that 2007 draft was stocked with talent. Joe Thomas, Calvin, Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, Landry.

Patrick Willis in this 2009 draft would go in the top 3.

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Look at that draft class. There was some very very good players that went in the top 10. Some were reaches, but overall, very solid.

i asked about that earlier

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:33 PM
A team that is going to be switching to 3-4 should be valuing a NT a hell of alot more than they are a cover backer that plays in the middle in their scheme..

Pioli Zombie
Btw, the year the Patriots drafted Vince Wilfork they also signed Keith Traylor to mentor him. Don't be shocked if both Rogers is brought in And Raji is drafted. Pioli loves NT's
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
Look we agreed about something.

This is total speculation and I don't see any sign of it happening, but picture the Chiefs defense if they drafted Raji, moved Dorsey to end and picked up Chris Canty.

OnTheWarpath15

And there will be in this draft as well.

Unfortunately for us, 5 of them (the best and most valuable 5, IMO) are worthless to us.

(3 OT's and 2 QB's)

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Because I don't think that drafts are just a cookie cutter every year where you can say, "well this guy went this late one year, and if he's comparable to (x) player, he has to go this late."

There are too many variables in drafts like needs of teams ahead of you, strength of draft class to put a basic formula into play to say "this position is a reach at this pick."

The top half of that 2007 draft was stocked with talent. Joe Thomas, Calvin, Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, Landry.

Patrick Willis in this 2009 draft would go in the top 3.

I disagree 100%, and I'll leave it at that.

ArrowheadHawk
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm all for this. I think it would be awesome.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:35 PM

I don't think some people like to realize that 3 LB's have gone in the top 3 in the last 20 years.

And those 3 players track records aren't good.

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:35 PM

do you know where willis was rated overall(i'm asking because i couldnt find it i'm not good at finding shit on tha interwebs. stick here mainly)

unothadeal
02-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I think the most important question is how good is B.J. Raji regardless of his position?

ArrowheadHawk
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think some people like to realize that 3 LB's have gone in the top 3 in the last 20 years.

And those 3 players track records aren't good.Not everything can be based on history. Before Tom Brady was there ever a bad ass 7th round QB?

doomy3
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM

And those 3 players track records aren't good.

What would be your top 3 options for the 3rd pick now that the Cassel trade has been made?

doomy3
02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Also, I hope we get Romeo. Our staff would look pretty damn good, IMO. Nice experience on there.

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
do you know where willis was rated overall(i'm asking because i couldnt find it i'm not good at finding shit on tha interwebs. stick here mainly)

Scott Wright had him rated 7th, and IIRC, he was picked 11th, behind such talents as Levi Brown, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson and Ted Ginn Jr.

Even the best MLB's typically go 10th or later, and the few that have gone earlier haven't been worth their draft slot.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
What would be your top 3 options for the 3rd pick now that the Cassel trade has been made?

For this team.....It's BJ Raji or drop out if they can.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Scott Wright had him rated 7th, and IIRC, he was picked 11th, behind such talents as Levi Brown, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson and Ted Ginn Jr.

Even the best MLB's typically go 10th or later, and the few that have gone earlier haven't been worth their draft slot.

Damn, would have been much better off drafting him higher then, huh?

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Damn, would have been much better off drafting him higher then, huh?

It's just speaks to the value of LBs look at how many mid round LB's have turned into really good players.

doomy3
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
For this team.....It's BJ Raji or drop out if they can.

That's what I think too, but I wouldn't be upset with Curry though. I would really like to drop back and get some more picks though. Raji could probably be had around 10 or so...

Ebolapox
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Not everything can be based on history. Before Tom Brady was there ever a bad ass 7th round QB?

tom brady, pick number 199, sixth round.

:spock:

doomy3
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
It's just speaks to the value of LBs look at how many mid round LB's have turned into really good players.

Yeah, but don't you think the teams that followed the value rules in that draft to pick WR, LT, etc wish they would have taken Willis instead?

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:45 PM

but there were some good players that went before him, ginn is a burner, didnt adams come on a little last year? just trying to make sense of why curry is so hated at 3, i mean lots of people say BPA by most acounts thats curry at #1 sooo, then you have the BPA/need people curry fits that bill too, then you have the need guys once again curry. curry/raji(sp) fit all three spots and IMO(and most others) curry is the better prospect, so really why not?

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah, but don't you think the teams that followed the value rules in that draft to pick WR, LT, etc wish they would have taken Willis instead?

Well I didn't like Brown or Ginn, but a LB isn't horrible value once you start getting closer to 10 provided he has alot of talent.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:47 PM
but there were some good players that went before him, ginn is a burner, didnt adams come on a little last year? just trying to make sense of why curry is so hated at 3, i mean lots of people say BPA by most acounts thats curry at #1 sooo, then you have the BPA/need people curry fits that bill too, then you have the need guys once again curry. curry/raji(sp) fit all three spots and IMO(and most others) curry is the better prospect, so really why not?

If you put Curry in a 3-4 on the Chiefs without a nose he will get pancaked by Guards.

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM
If you put Curry in a 3-4 on the Chiefs without a nose he will get pancaked by Guards.

what if we traded for rogers?

Pioli Zombie
02-28-2009, 11:53 PM

Exactly. When the Patriots switched to the 3-4 after the 2002 season they knew they had to get a solid NT to make it work. Ted Washington m$ade that defense work and when he left they got Traylor and drafted Wilfork. In the 3-4 you have to have a big tub of goo in the middle to clog things up or it won't work.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM

also tank is VERY strong he wouldnt work?

Mecca
02-28-2009, 11:55 PM
also tank is VERY strong he wouldnt work?

He's not really that kind of player, people just look at his size and think he is...I'm not sure if he even has a spot in the 3-4.

ArrowheadHawk
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM

tom brady, pick number 199, sixth round.

:spock:Whatever, you get the point.

melbar
02-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Man, what is your aversion to LB's? You'd think with USC's strong LB play you would have a deeper appreciation for the position. Or is it just that the LB being discussed isnt from USC?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Man, what is your aversion to LB's? You'd think with USC's strong LB play you would have a deeper appreciation for the position. Or is it just that the LB being discussed isnt from USC?

If we were picking 13th, it'd be one thing but we aren't...

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
He's not really that kind of player, people just look at his size and think he is...I'm not sure if he even has a spot in the 3-4.

why(asking because i dont know) what kind of player is he. you dont think he could take up space and eat up blockers

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM

Sure Mecca likes his college team (we all do), but I think he's stated his reason for such a few times. I'm summarizing (correct me if I'm wrong Mecca), but it's simply a matter of value and historical data that suggests a OLB at 3 who isn't an ELITE pass rusher (particularly if we're going 3-4) isn't worth it at 3. 10-15 range, sure. But not 3.

There haven't been very many (..maybe 2 or 3?) taken in the top 5 who have gone on to legitimate production.

gonna be fun to see what the Chiefs do; I love the draft season.
:thumb:

KChiefs1
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Romeo oh Romeo, where art thou?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2009, 12:04 AM

LB's that aren't pass rushers in the 3-4 just don't have the "value" where we currently pick. If Curry had great pass rush moves and showed he could get to the QB I'm sure he'd be on board for him.

Wilson8
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Crennel was NOT offered the DC job with ND...

Weis offered the defensive line position, the only remaining open position on the Irish staff, to former Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel.

However, the two former Patriots coordinators agreed it was not the right time for Crennel to take the position.

"Most of you guys know that Romeo and I are close friends. When he got let go from the Browns, we started talking about the possibility of coming over here and working with me," Weis said.

"Romeo and I set a timetable for this week, because next week he's going to have his hip replaced. ... Before he went on a little vacation this week, we decided that he wasn't in a position at this time to make a commitment to do this, so we're going to move in another direction."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014078864

Pioli Zombie
Mecca, previous poster mentioned Rogers. If they could pull off a trade for Rogers before the draft would you then go for Curry? I still go back to Traylor and Wilfork in 2004. I might still go for Raji.
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh

I think we could trade down from 3 and still get him. It seems alot of teams at the top will be picking Offense.
That would be the best of both worlds.Pick him a few spots up from where mayo was picked,

Iowanian
Do the Chiefs have any big-booty girls named Juliet we could let him motorboat her titties to help with this decision?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:06 AM
See a few people understand what I'm saying.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
why(asking because i dont know) what kind of player is he. you dont think he could take up space and eat up blockers

He's more of a quick player if you saw how he was being used and what spot he was being put in it wasn't to be a space eater.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
See a few people understand what I'm saying.A few out of hundreds. Good percentage.

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
He's more of a quick player if you saw how he was being used and what spot he was being put in it wasn't to be a space eater.

i know that, but you said the spot he was put in, thats where it gets iffy people on this board said tank and dorsey should have been switched so if they had wouldnt tank then have been the space eater? how big is the cardinals NT?

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I think we could trade down from 3 and still get him. It seems alot of teams at the top will be picking Offense.
That would be the best of both worlds.Pick him a few spots up from where mayo was picked,

this woulde my ideal scenario.
regaining our 2nd (+ a few that would allow us to move up if the situation was right); and still getting a guy at a spot proportional to his value.

...still need a NT though...but..

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
i know that, but you said the spot he was put in, thats where it gets iffy people on this board said tank and dorsey should have been switched so if they had wouldnt tank then have been the space eater? how big is the cardinals NT?

Darnell Dockett is one of the strongest players in the league he's a freak so he can get by with less weight. He's very much an exception.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
If we were picking 13th, it'd be one thing but we aren't...
I would say if he were to trade down SF may be the spot to get curry. I wouldn't think curry would go lower than mayo.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
We want Crenell. Bring him in now.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I would say if he were to trade down SF may be the spot to get curry. I wouldn't think curry would go lower than mayo.

Ok same premise...

Here's what I'll say think about this, in a 3-4 Curry would play the same position AJ Hawk is going to play for the Packers, they are switching aswell. They used the 5th pick on Hawk..

Right now do you think they'd rather have Hawk or a NT?

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Darnell Dockett is one of the strongest players in the league he's a freak so he can get by with less weight. He's very much an exception.

didnt tank have more reps than anyone at the combine? IIRC lots rave about how strong he is

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:14 AM
didnt tank have more reps than anyone at the combine? IIRC lots rave about how strong he isTank is built like a TANK!

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 12:16 AM
And there will be in this draft as well.

Unfortunately for us, 5 of them (the best and most valuable 5, IMO) are worthless to us.

(3 OT's and 2 QB's)

Well, They do need a RT. I get that #3 an expensive way to go for a RT, But if he's the next willie roaf, I think you have to at least consider it. Those guys can really make it hard for a defense. Our RT situation is as big a hole as there is on this team. They could fill it with FA but they will have to draft an elite one...even if it might mean messing with something (Albert) that already works.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but they gotta do something on that side of the line or our shiny new QB who apparently is a little slow in his reads is gonna go out Brodie Croyle style.

-King-

Tank is strong too. He had 42 reps at the combine, the most at his combine. There was NO ONE at this years combine that even hit 40.

melbar

By the same token we get a nose and have the crap LB we have arriving late and arm tackling we're not gonna improve too much on our 31st defensive ranking. But, I know you feel that we can just grab someone in Free agency to fill the LB spot. At the same spot I'm a very strong proponent of starting inside out. My problem is that Raji is a bit of a reach value wise( and how often do you get a shot at the top talent in the entire draft?), but a good NT is pretty rare. The elusive trade down is ideal, but again, how likely?

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I think the most important question is how good is B.J. Raji regardless of his position?

That's what I was wonderin'

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Tank is built like a TANK!

dockett is 6'4" 285
tank is 6'2" 309
rogers 6'4" 350

Mecca
Tank is strong too. He had 42 reps at the combine, the most at his combine. There was NO ONE at this years combine that even hit 40.

And the Chiefs have made him lose weight, and I think he needs lower body work..

Coming from a cover 2 coach and going to a 3-4 is going to be an issue alot of these players have no roles, Tamba Hali should just be cut if we go 3-4 he's got no spot.

Mecca
That's what I was wonderin'

He's likely a top 10 pick regardless and he's by far the best DT in this class.

keg in kc
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
We have a backer already who fits the cover mold in the 3-4 (DJ). We need more of a hard-nosed run stuffer. Maybe that's Curry, but that seems like an awfully high price to pay for it. Vrabel gives us an OLB, but we're still one short there, and I think we could really use a dominant, game-changing pass-rusher outside.

Nose tackle is obviously important, but I'm iffy on Raji. Seems like a potential headcase.

I think my perfect scenario is trading down a few spots hoping to land Everette Brown. I'd thought we could address the need for a 3-4 rush end with the 34th pick, but we're in a pinch now...

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=Chiefless;5541689]Well, They do need a RT. I get that #3 an expensive way to go for a RT, But if he's the next willie roaf,

QUOTE]

I think it's a risky and financially deveasting proposition if they're wrong etc.
We'd could be stuck paying, what, $30M + for an average/below average RT (as it relates to where he was picked) for 6 years ( I think a high first is a 6 year deal?)

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Curry wouldn't fill the "hard nosed" spot he'd be more of the athletic ILB...if you want the hard nosed guy you'd have to trade down and get Maualuga he'd fill that role better.

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
And the Chiefs have made him lose weight, and I think he needs lower body work..

Coming from a cover 2 coach and going to a 3-4 is going to be an issue alot of these players have no roles, Tamba Hali should just be cut if we go 3-4 he's got no spot.

i can agree on hali(but i doubt it happens) but if the chiefs made him lose weight he should be able to pack on a few pounds. he MIGHT work at nt

mikey23545
03-01-2009, 12:21 AM

'Tis a cold night in the Land of the 14....

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2009, 12:21 AM
So will DJ do as a MLB in the 3-4?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
So will DJ do as a MLB in the 3-4?

Probably, if you really believe he can do it than that's more reason to not pick Curry.

RippedmyFlesh
Ok same premise...

Here's what I'll say think about this, in a 3-4 Curry would play the same position AJ Hawk is going to play for the Packers, they are switching aswell. They used the 5th pick on Hawk..

Right now do you think they'd rather have Hawk or a NT?
I agree NT is where you have to start a 3-4 I was thinking trade for vet NT because that position ages better than most and rely on young linebacker instead of young dt the harder position to master. It would take longer for a dt to develop than a lb. I am not saying anything negative about raji but it doesnt seem like a deep class for dt. Hell trade waters to cleve for rogers and a pick and use the pick to replace waters.
Player snubbed by new coach traded for player snubbed by new coach..

Chiefless
By the same token we get a nose and have the crap LB we have arriving late and arm tackling we're not gonna improve too much on our 31st defensive ranking. But, I know you feel that we can just grab someone in Free agency to fill the LB spot. At the same spot I'm a very strong proponent of starting inside out. My problem is that Raji is a bit of a reach value wise( and how often do you get a shot at the top talent in the entire draft?), but a good NT is pretty rare. The elusive trade down is ideal, but again, how likely?

I agree, if curry is the third ranked player and he fills a position of need and Raji is the 15th ranked player at a positions of near equal value I think you have to take the better player.

-King-
03-01-2009, 12:23 AM

How dare you?!?!? :cuss: Hali has a fine career of running on field to pick up the kicking tee ahead of him.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree, if curry is the third ranked player and he fills a position of need and Raji is the 15th ranked player at a positions of near equal value I think you have to take the better player.

The NT is the most valuable position in the 3-4 defense so in fairness the positions are not of equal value.

keg in kc
03-01-2009, 12:24 AM
So will DJ do as a MLB in the 3-4?I think he should be fine as the coverage ILB.

I've seen people talking about moving him outside, but he's 15-20 pounds too light for that.

Mecca
How dare you?!?!? :cuss: Hali has a fine career of running on field to pick up the kicking tee ahead of him.

There was a guy on here last year who wanted to bet that he'd get 10 sacks...

Mecca
I think he should be fine as the coverage ILB.

I've seen people talking about moving him outside, but he's 15-20 pounds too light for that.

And if you really think that's what he is and the role he can fill then Curry shouldn't be picked because that's his role in the 3-4.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 12:27 AM

He did, depending on how you define "sacks".

Dime sacks, nut sacks...

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I think he should be fine as the coverage ILB.

I agree. They probably think that he has the speed to rush the passer, but most rushers are in the 260 range or so I believe.

-King-
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM

I dont know what's wrong with Tamba. He needs better body control and to learn better techniques. God knows Arm Slaps 101 with Krumrie isn't working.

Mecca
I'd honestly feel more comfortable dropping to 12 and taking Maualuga than I would taking Curry at 3, atleast I know Maualuga could fill the physical role in the middle of a 3-4 and has experience both blitzing and dropping.

Saccopoo
If Tank is anything less than 330, it's bullshit. (My own brother was 5'10", 289 lbs. when he was power lifting, and he was half the size that Tyler is.) And the dude is bull strong. If Tank Tyler can't play NT in a 3-4, then there is something wrong in the world. I mean, here is a guy going out after summer camp to eat a field of raw corn. Tank Tyler would be 400 lbs. by the start of the season if the coaches asked him to be.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Ok NFL Draftcountdown has Raji as the 6th overall player...

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 323 | 40-Time: 5.15

Strengths:
Outstanding mass and bulk...Excellent strength...Stout at the point of attack...Can fill two gaps...Able to occupy multiple blockers...Tough, powerful and nasty...A beast against the run...Can really collapse the pocket...Able to penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Above average athleticism...Quick and agile...Pursues well and has a burst to close...Good instincts and awareness...Will offer schematic versatility.

Weaknesses:
Conditioning and stamina have been problems...Is shorter than you'd prefer...Maturity and commitment have been questioned...Doesn't always play with proper leverage...Inconsistent and his motor tends to run hot and cold...Is not an elite pass rusher...Struggled to keep up with his studies and intelligence may be an issue..Durability concerns?

Notes:
First name is "Busari"...Father migrated from Nigeria...A three-year starter in the ACC...Named 1st Team All-ACC in 2008...Sat out the 2007 season for academic reasons and redshirted...Was ejected from a game in 2006 for throwing a punch...Missed spring ball in 2008 after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery...Weighed more than 350 pounds at one point but is most effective at 325-330...Potential 3-4 nose tackle but could also fit in a 4-3 scheme...Has the physical tools to be great but intangibles could hold him back and prevent him from maximizing his potential...Had an amazing senior season and showed what a truly dominant force he can be when in shape and motivated.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM
A few out of hundreds. Good percentage.

The Dumbfucks do weigh it down.

By a large margin.

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM
I'd honestly feel more comfortable dropping to 12 and taking Maualuga than I would taking Curry at 3, atleast I know Maualuga could fill the physical role in the middle of a 3-4 and has experience both blitzing and dropping.

Think there is a team below us that is in love with Curry enough to move up? Legitimate question/not rhetorical or blasting etc.

kcpasco
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM

Since Denver really wants Maulaluga with their pick, that would make it that much sweeter watching them implode even more.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Chiefless;5541689]Well, They do need a RT. I get that #3 an expensive way to go for a RT, But if he's the next willie roaf,

QUOTE]

I think it's a risky and financially deveasting proposition if they're wrong etc.
We'd could be stuck paying, what, $30M + for an average/below average RT (as it relates to where he was picked) for 6 years ( I think a high first is a 6 year deal?)

Any player we draft at #3 will cost a fortune, tho. If they are wrong about WHOEVER they draft there it will be financially devestating for 5-6 years. That's what makes these conversations fun.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Maturity and commitment have been questioned...his motor tends to run hot and cold...intelligence may be an issue..Durability concerns?

That's a nasty list right there.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Think there is a team below us that is in love with Curry enough to move up? Legitimate question/not rhetorical or blasting etc.

Call the Raiders try to bait them into moving for Crabtree...I would.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Call the Raiders try to bait them into moving for Crabtree...I would.

Maclin.

Al loves him some speed.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
That's a nasty list right there.

Pretty much every DT has those listed it's like "every fat guy" has a questionable motor and is lazy, unless they are white then they have "high motors" but lack great top end talent.

Ever notice that?

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=Dayze;5541705]

Any player we draft at #3 will cost a fortune, tho. If they are wrong about WHOEVER they draft there it will be financially devestating for 5-6 years. That's what makes these conversations fun.

Yep; good point.:thumb:

doomy3

Didn't he have 8 the year before? 10 was a reasonable expectation. He just sucked it up.

kcfanXIII
'Tis a cold night in the Land of the 14....

ROFL

since i don't feel like wading through all today's threads, where did this "land of 14" originate?

Chiefless
The NT is the most valuable position in the 3-4 defense so in fairness the positions are not of equal value.

I get that, but just HOW much more valuable is it is the real question.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Pretty much every DT has those listed it's like "every fat guy" has a questionable motor and is lazy, unless they are white then they have "high motors" but lack great top end talent.

Ever notice that?

True, but then the white guy is "not an elite athlete," which was a knock on Urlacher.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
If they keep the 3rd pick I want them to take a player who's part of the core at a core position not just some guy, if we're gonna take a LB we need to move down so it's cheaper.

keg in kc
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
And if you really think that's what he is and the role he can fill then Curry shouldn't be picked because that's his role in the 3-4.I'm not one of the folks enamored with Curry. I think we need to focus on building the line and outside backers. Find the other starting ILB in free agency.

We have a lot of work to do with the line in particular. We have a roster full of 4-3 rotational guys. Alphonso frikkin Boone is probably the closest thing on the roster to a prototypical 3-4 DE. Maybe they have Turk and Tamba add 20 pounds each to fill the rotation (and that might actually give Hali a spot, remember he did play inside a good deal at Penn State), and throw Dorsey in the mix as the flex 3-4 DE/4-3 UT. Even if Tank can play the nose, I think he'd have to be part of a rotation, and right now that would be a rotation of one.

OLB is just as bad. Vrabel is the only guy on the entire roster with the size you need in the 3-4. Everybody else is 4-3 OLB, and most of them are undersized even for that.

Curry strikes me as more of a luxury pick, for a team that has a 1st round draft pick from four years ago playing his position. I won't be upset if they go that route, but I won't think it makes a whole lot of sense either.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I get that, but just HOW much more valuable is it is the real question.

Than an ILB, quite a bit....NT and rushbackers are the most important in the 3-4.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 12:39 AM

I think the Chiefs trade down twice in the first.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 12:40 AM

Hali's worth at least a 5th to somebody

Sam Hall
03-01-2009, 12:40 AM
The Dumb****s do weigh it down.

By a large margin.

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Dang, seems like most of those early round picks Hermy used on D are going to go to waste unless they play some kind of hybrid D and still keep a 4-3 look on a bunch of plays.

-King-
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Didn't he have 8 the year before? 10 was a reasonable expectation. He just sucked it up.

Offenses planned for JA and forgot about Hali and thats how he got sacked. When he was KCs elite pass rusher, he couldnt get shit done, and plus, he was going against LTs which didnt help him at all.

Hali would be good if he wasnt everywhere, he's sloppy.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Dang, seems like most of those early round picks Hermy used on D are going to go to waste unless they play some kind of hybrid D and still keep a 4-3 look on a bunch of plays.

That's what happens when new regimes come in they change things..none of these players were a part of anything good anyway.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
I think the Chiefs trade down twice in the first.Works for me since we don't need a qb anymore.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't really know about twice unless they are both small moves I'd rather not be below 11.

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I think the Chiefs trade down twice in the first.

that would be interesting.

I wonder if Cincy, Buffalo or GB is enamoured (sp?) with Curry to consider moving up.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:45 AM
GB needs a nose tackle and Buffalo is likely looking at ends.

Cincy I think would go OT.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:46 AM
that would be interesting.

I wonder if Cincy, Buffalo or GB is enamoured (sp?) with Curry to consider moving up.He is a badass according to some experts.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2009, 12:46 AM
That's what happens when new regimes come in they change things..none of these players were a part of anything good anyway.

That is true. It doesn't get much worse than what took place last year.

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
GB needs a nose tackle and Buffalo is likely looking at ends.

Cincy I think would go OT.

I can't wait for the draft. I really think the Chiefs acquisition of Cassel today, and their decision on how to use the 3rd pick (or trade etc), will greatly influence the 1st round.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I can't wait for the draft. I really think the Chiefs acquisition of Cassel today, and their decision on how to use the 3rd pick (or trade etc), will greatly influence the 1st round.How so?

milkman
03-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Not everything can be based on history. Before Tom Brady was there ever a bad ass 7th round QB?

Can't say for certain, but I know there was a badass 17th round QB (Bart Starr).

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Than an ILB, quite a bit....NT and rushbackers are the most important in the 3-4.

I want to see anyone we draft at three (if we stay there) dominate whatever position they play. The only position that can't use first round talent is at CB and punter, really. There are questions with Cassel, but I think he fails for sure if KC drafts a QB at 3. That's 2 real positions where KC doesn't have a need. But, if the talent isn't there and if there is a QB sittin' there that someone wants I'm al for trading down and picking the best value we can find.

Dayze
03-01-2009, 12:54 AM
How so?

Well, I think most teams assumed we would be looking hard at QB until today. Not a lock to pick a QB, but I think it was in their contingency on how they approached their board - who would be there, who wouldn't etc.

so if someone was factoring in curry (or some other player rated in the 3-5 range etc) could likely be there b/c KC would lean towads QB - they would have to reconsider. And, if somone at 5 was in love with Curry, they may consider moving up now that Curry 'could' be selected by KC.

Obviously, the remaining FA period and how KC utilizes it would impact it too.
Now it appears Stafford 'may' slide; Sanchez will probably slide; so if we're in front of team A; and Team B is eyeing a QB (and suspect Team A is as well), they may be more likely to jump a spot or two.

Dunno...just my gut that it will impact the draft.:D

Mecca
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Seeing as this team is gonna go 3-4 they should probably look at signing an end like Canty or Olshansky and a guy like Kevin Burnett who has inside LB experience in 3-4 who'd probably be pretty cheap and a good backup plan if DJ totally blows or gets hurt again or we aren't in position to draft a 2nd ILB.

Hammock Parties
03-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Seeing as this team is gonna go 3-4 they should probably look at signing an end like Canty or Olshansky and a guy like Kevin Burnett who has inside LB experience in 3-4 who'd probably be pretty cheap and a good backup plan if DJ totally blows or gets hurt again or we aren't in position to draft a 2nd ILB.

What do you think the 3-4 might do for DJ?

Too small for OLB I guess....

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:00 AM
What do you think the 3-4 might do for DJ?

Too small for OLB I guess....

He'll have to go inside...I have no idea if he's going to be able to do it or not but I guess we'll see. If you believe he can then that's really a reason to not draft Curry because they'd both be the same spot the athletic ILB, the other LB should really be a more physical mauling type.

melbar
03-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Curry is a much better player. He does hit hard. He also makes more plays. I guess sometimes it just comes down to feeling about a guy or an emotional attatchment. You for obvious reasons have one for Maualuga (who is a very good player) I have one for Curry from what I've seen and read.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Can't say for certain, but I know there was a badass 17th round QB (Bart Starr).
jack kemp was a 17th rounder too.
17th fricking round...

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Just different players, Curry is better at dropping back into coverage and he's more athletic. Maualuga is bigger and meaner with more experience blitzing and playing in the middle.

I'm looking at fits not so much who deserves to go higher in that comparison.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Just different players, Curry is better at dropping back into coverage and he's more athletic. Maualuga is bigger and meaner with more experience blitzing and playing in the middle.

I'm looking at fits not so much who deserves to go higher in that comparison.
agree curry=derrick brooks mauluga= rey lewis a better fit.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't take Maualuga or Curry at 3 just you could conceivably drop to 10 and take Maualuga and get a big trade in return where as you'd have to stay at 3 to take Curry when in reality Maualuga is probably a better fit in the 3-4.

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't take Maualuga or Curry at 3 just you could conceivably drop to 10 and take Maualuga and get a big trade in return where as you'd have to stay at 3 to take Curry when in reality Maualuga is probably a better fit in the 3-4.

and not pay NEAR as much

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Yea and pay about 1/4 of the price, if you really believe in Derrick Johnson you put Maualuga next to him and that gives you your athletic backer and your big physical backer that can take on offensive lineman.

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Yea and pay about 1/4 of the price, if you really believe in Derrick Johnson you put Maualuga next to him and that gives you your athletic backer and your big physical backer that can take on offensive lineman.

sounds good but could d. williams play OLB in a 3-4? weak side?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
sounds good but could d. williams play OLB in a 3-4? weak side?

Eesh probably not he's really small, he was a DE in college I dunno he's another one of those guys that doesn't really have a position in the 3-4.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM

I like the the thought of that I have to admit.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I like the the thought of that I have to admit.

I'm not a huge fan of taking a LB in the first round either way to tell you the truth but I just don't see Curry being a good fit for our position. I think Curry is a better fit for a 4-3 team to be honest.

melbar
03-01-2009, 01:16 AM

I actually completely see your point. I like Curry's playmaking ability a little better. Just my personal preference because of our severe lack of playmakers. Maualuga would be great in a trade down.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Maualuga makes big plays in his own right...

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm not a huge fan of taking a LB in the first round either way to tell you the truth but I just don't see Curry being a good fit for our position. I think Curry is a better fit for a 4-3 team to be honest.

I just want KC to draft a player who has the best possible chance to dominate a position of need. There are so many positions of need...so many

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 01:22 AM
I just want KC to draft a player who has the best possible chance to dominate a position of need. There are so many positions of need...so many

Which is why they should abandon the "Draft Chart" and get what they can get to trade back.

SAUTO
03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Which is why they should abandon the "Draft Chart" and get what they can get to trade back.

maybe, are you serious?

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:24 AM
If I was in a stuck spot where I didn't want any of the players on the board and my targeted player could still be had, if it was the difference in say 10+ mill I would take what I could get...

Saccopoo
03-01-2009, 01:31 AM

I agree Dane. But the problem is, at least in this year, I don't know if the Black & White Draft Chart applies. It's going to be one of those odd years where the slot specific numbers get thrown out because there is no pre-determined number one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine or ten. This is just one of those freaky years where the bold, set-in-stone draft value numbers get thrown out the window. Especially when the Chiefs get their quarterback and linebacker in a single trade. (Everyone who knew anything said that the #3 pick was going to determine the slant of the draft, at least the early rounds, and now that's a complete mess.)

Saccopoo
03-01-2009, 01:33 AM
I agree Dane. But the problem is, at least in this year, I don't know if the Black & White Draft Chart applies. It's going to be one of those odd years where the slot specific numbers get thrown out because there is no pre-determined number one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine or ten. This is just one of those freaky years where the bold, set-in-stone draft value numbers get thrown out the window. Especially when the Chiefs get their quarterback and linebacker in a single trade. (Everyone who knew anything said that the #3 pick was going to determine the slant of the draft, at least the early rounds, and now that's a complete mess.)

And I guess I missed out where you said to throw out the chart...

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 01:34 AM

That's why I favor throwing out the "baby with the bathwater" and taking what you can get.

There's NO WAY the Chief enter the 2009 season with Sackintosh, Niswanger and Jones on the line after trading for Cassel.

This is a GREAT year for offensive lineman and the Chiefs need (and will) take advantage of that overage.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 01:34 AM
maybe, are you serious?

Yes.

See #172

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 01:38 AM

Can you clarify that a little?

I think I get what you are saying...It's a convoluted set of circumstances. Isn't this a down draft? If so, I think it's really complicating matters...Just seems to me that it's going to be difficult to find a trading partner this year. For all we know NE didn't want to swap firsts and took KCs 2nd instead. A lot of money will HAVE to be spent on whoever gets drafted. If the talent is suspect it will be difficult to find a suitor...Just thinkin out loud here.

I'm think this is not a great draft for the team holding the third card.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm think this is not a great draft for the team holding the third card.

Exactly.

And knowing that the Chiefs have so many needs that can be filled this draft offensively, I think they throw out the "Point System" associated with the JJ's system and take what they can get.

Because in the long run, 3 offensive lineman that are with the Chiefs for the next 10 years are worth far more than a Cover linebacker.

unlurking
03-01-2009, 01:44 AM
What's going to be really interesting is waiting for the top 10 to sign this year. With so much discussion about how weak this draft is, are teams going to be more frugal with the checks?

Frosty
03-01-2009, 01:46 AM
The Packers have three thirds. I wonder if they could be enticed to move up for a second and a third for Curry or Raji? They could get their guy and still have two high 3rds. :hmmm:

JohnnyV13
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
And I know enough to know that if this team is going 3-4 which it looks like and takes a guy who has to play in the middle of that with the 3rd pick I'm just going to shake my head...

No mecca, they are likely to trade down with someone with a hard-on for Crabtree or one of the quarterbacks. Then they will get Orakpo or Brown to be their hybrid DE/LB pass rusher.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
The Packers have three thirds. I wonder if they could be enticed to move up for a second and a third for Curry or Raji? They could get their guy and still have two high 3rds. :hmmm:

From 8 to 3 it's gotta be atleast 2 picks.

Saccopoo
03-01-2009, 01:48 AM
That's why I favor throwing out the "baby with the bathwater" and taking what you can get.

There's NO WAY the Chief enter the 2009 season with Sackintosh, Niswanger and Jones on the line after trading for Cassel.

This is a GREAT year for offensive lineman and the Chiefs need (and will) take advantage of that overage.

I actually thought that Rudy had a decent year all things considered. He would be my reclamation project on the Chiefs offensive line at this point. Otherwise, yeah, the right side has got to go, and Waters, after his run to Whitlock episode, is on the block as well.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:48 AM
No mecca, they are likely to trade down with someone with a hard-on for Crabtree or one of the quarterbacks. Then they will get Orakpo or Brown to be their hybrid DE/LB pass rusher.

Brian Orakpo sucks ass.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2009, 01:51 AM

No.

If they trade back, they're likely to get the receiver from Maryland and/or someone like Cushing, Unger or Mack.

The "D" guys in the first round are weak.

The "D" guys in the draft are weak.

Frosty
From 8 to 3 it's gotta be atleast 2 picks.

Hence the "second and third" comment.

Chiefless
Exactly.

And knowing that the Chiefs have so many needs that can be filled this draft offensively, I think they throw out the "Point System" associated with the JJ's system and take what they can get.

Because in the long run, 3 offensive lineman that are with the Chiefs for the next 10 years are worth far more than a Cover linebacker.

I certainly won't argue with that. That O-Line needs to get fixed this offseason, really. Not patched together, but fixed. That thing is broke!

SO many needs...but the O-Line is the most pressing, I agree

unlurking
The only way they get to trade down is if Stafford or Sanchez is still available. No other player is worth moving up for, and they are only worth moving up for because of their position (but not moving up far).

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:52 AM
I'd rather rape myself with a toilet brush than draft Brian Orakpo.

Saccopoo
03-01-2009, 01:53 AM

I really hate to say it, but...

This.

(Especially when one considers that we have Derrick Johnson on the roster, who was considered the best cover backer to come out of college in his generation. Perhaps a change of scenery will be a nice thing for DJ next year in terms of coaching styles. The guy has shown flashes of brilliance and has the athleticism and is still relatively young and now has a mentor in Vrabel. Perhaps we actually get to see DJ turn into what he was supposed to be, and we can trade down and get those O-lineman that we so desperately need.)

unlurking
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
I'd rather rape myself with a toilet brush than draft Brian Orakpo.
Calling for the crystal plunger?

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
The only way they get to trade down is if Stafford or Sanchez is still available. No other player is worth moving up for, and they are only worth moving up for because of their position (but not moving up far).

Lot of people are reporting Sanchez will drop out of the top ten tho. People may not want to pay im as the #3 QB taken in the draft.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Lot of people are reporting Sanchez will drop out of the top ten tho. People may not want to pay im as the #3 QB taken in the draft.

I still think the 49ers will take him if hes there.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 10:22 AM
This makes perfect sense and it's what many have suspected all along. Assuming Crennel recovers well from surgery, I have no doubt he will end up being named the D-coordinator within the next couple weeks.

I would assume he's reviewing game tape from the last couple years, hopefully that doesn't make him change his mind. :)

wazu
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
This makes perfect sense and it's what many have suspected all along. Assuming Crennel recovers well from surgery, I have no doubt he will end up being named the D-coordinator within the next couple weeks.

I would assume he's reviewing game tape from the last couple years, hopefully that doesn't make him change his mind. :)

I don't see why it would. He's probably thinking he could grab 11 guys from the street and do better.

eazyb81
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't see why it would. He's probably thinking he could grab 11 guys from the street and do better.

I was thinking more along the lines that being exposed to such nauseating scenes might set his rehab back by months if not years.

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Or seeing that we do have talent on D, but it was poorly utilized in a half-brained cross-bred "system"

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I think having a real experience defensive coaching staff is a very important thing for us. Haley is a young, first year head coach with an offensive background.

Romeo Crennel - DC (ex head coach)
Gary Gibbs - Linebackers (ex DC, helped Dallas transition to a 3-4)
Clancy Pendergast - ???? (ex DC)
Joel Collier - secondary (17 yrs in league, 6 yrs with pats)
Tim Krumrie - Defensive line (14 yrs at slapping people around)

bdeg
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I think having a real experience defensive coaching staff is a very important thing for us. Haley is a young, first year head coach with an offensive background.

Romeo Crennel - DC (ex head coach)
Gary Gibbs - Linebackers (ex DC, helped Dallas transition to a 3-4)
Clancy Pendergast - ???? (ex DC)
Joel Collier - secondary (17 yrs in league, 6 yrs with pats)
Tim Krumrie - Defensive line (14 yrs at slapping people around)

Good question, it's kind of a logjam at LB coach with Pendergast and Gibbs if Crennell accepts. Pendergast has coached secondary too. Maybe one of them will be an assistant dc/something else

And do we have a ST coach or is it possibly one of these guys?

Mr. Krab
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Good question, it's kind of a logjam at LB coach with Pendergast and Gibbs if Crennell accepts. Pendergast has coached secondary too. Maybe one of them will be an assistant dc/something else

And do we have a ST coach or is it possibly one of these guys?
Special Teams - Steve Hoffman

Maybe Pendergast will be Defense Quality control assistant

DaWolf
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them become co-DC and help out Crennel if he's still going through rehab and needs to spend his time on gamedays in the booth, the other could be on the sidelines.

I think the Lambs won a Super Bowl with co-DC's...

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them become co-DC and help out Crennel if he's still going through rehab and needs to spend his time on gamedays in the booth, the other could be on the sidelines.

I think the Lambs won a Super Bowl with co-DC's...

Wasn't that Lovie Smith's claim to fame? Who was his co-DC?

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Wasn't that Lovie Smith's claim to fame? Who was his co-DC?

It was before Lovie Smith.

I don't remember who it was, but Bud Carson was the Co-DC

ChiefMojo
03-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Was it Rivera?

booger
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
DV's original DC in STL was Bud Carson. He retired and Vermeil named Peter Guinta and John Bunting Co DC's for the 99 season.

Lovie was DC under Martz. Ron Rivera never coached in STL.

Chiefless
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Ah thanks for clarifying...

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Was it Rivera?

Further research shows that Carson was the DC, who was replaced after his retirement by John Bunting and Peter Guinta as Co-DCs.

wild1
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM

boy, compare these guys to herm/curl/cunningham... it's impossible not to be excited

booger
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Further research shows that Carson was the DC, who was replaced after his retirement by John Bunting and Peter Guinta as Co-DCs.

i don't believe you

milkman
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
i don't believe you

I was late, shoot me.

booger
03-01-2009, 11:45 AM
i thought you meant johnny carson

BigChief68
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Chiefs | Crennel weighing offer to become coordinator
Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:48:53 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports former Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel is weighing an offer to become the defensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Hope its not a repost!!! per kffl

Priest31kc
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Hurry the hell up and make up your mind, i want to know now.

bdeg
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
it is a repost, sorry pal

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203388

It was on the 3rd page, so I'll give you a pass.

MTG#10
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
:titus:

BigChief68
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
it is a repost, sorry pal

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203388

It was on the 3rd page, so I'll give you a pass.

Sorry just read it.............:cuss:

blueballs
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
post whore

chiefbowe82
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
well we added two defensive coordinators and maybe a head coach to the defensive side of the ball..not bad