PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel "should" not sign a new contract...

unlurking
03-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I've seen a LOT of people talking about how Cassel should get a new contract soon, but I wanted to warn people NOT to expect this. The smart thing to do is play out the year at $14 mill for BOTH Cassel and the Chiefs. We have the cap room, and it's better than tying up money in long term deal if he is NOT as advertised/expected.

Thanks to the CBA, players with only FIVE years are still RESTRICTED free agents in 2010 (currently only four years needed, which is why he can be an RFA twice). If he DOES play out, we can tie him up then, or get two firsts using the tag. Either way, we are covered.

Mecca
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm going to guess that he's going to want to sign a new deal, he has some leverage right now.

58-4ever
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I've seen a LOT of people talking about how Cassel should get a new contract soon, but I wanted to warn people NOT to expect this. The smart thing to do is play out the year at $14 mill for BOTH Cassel and the Chiefs. We have the cap room, and it's better than tying up money in long term deal if he is NOT as advertised/expected.

Thanks to the CBA, players with only FIVE years are still RESTRICTED free agents in 2010 (currently only four years needed, which is why he can be an RFA twice). If he DOES play out, we can tie him up then, or get two firsts using the tag. Either way, we are covered.

This was my thought. With as many variables that you're working with, I tend to lean towards this philosophy.

unlurking
03-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm going to guess that he's going to want to sign a new deal, he has some leverage right now.
According to a previous article in the main thread, the Lions deal was squashed because Cassel wouldn't renegotiate. Granted, that may just be because it was the Lions, but it may also be because he thinks he's good enough going into a contract year prior to the cap being lifted. If I were Cassel, and I thought I could play well, I'd bank my $14 mill this year and THEN say "show me the money!"

If he doesn't think he can cash in next year, then yes, he should renegotiate, but he definitely won't get as much as a good performance this year would earn him.

ChiefGator
03-01-2009, 09:47 AM

What does being a RFA have to do with Cassel? He was tagged as the franchise player, and if we really wanted to keep him next year we would probably have to do the same thing. That will go up to at least $17 million if we tag him again I believe. That's alot of dough.

It's better in both the team and his interest to sign a long term deal now.

I know there's some wierd things that happen next year if no new deal is signed, but I don't think it particularly helps us.

Yeah, you think he wants some guaranteed up-front money in the range of 20-30 millions of dollars? I think so.

unlurking
03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
The difference is that if that this is the final year of the CBA. If it were not the final year, Cassel would be a UFA, not an RFA. BIG difference.

He was tagged and signed a tender with the Patriots, not us.

If he signs a long term deal, that let's us out for UNDER $20 mill total after the season then I agree. Do you think his agent would sign a long term deal for less than $20 mill? I'm betting it would take at least $30 mill in guaranteed money. $15 mill is a lot less if he doesn't pan out, and if he does, he can't go anywhere without us getting 2 firsts anyway. Leaving him on the current tender is a Win - Win for us, and him if he playes well.

ChiefGator
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Leaving him on the current tender is a Win - Win for us, and him if he playes well.

And if he doesn't get injured. He has basically no guaranteed money right now. If he breaks his leg, or gets a real bad concussion during the first preseason game, he is screwed.

There's a reason players don't like the franchise tag.

Just Passin' By
03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
The difference is that if that this is the final year of the CBA. If it were not the final year, Cassel would be a UFA, not an RFA. BIG difference.

If he signs a long term deal, that let's us out for UNDER $20 mill total after the season then I agree. Do you think his agent would sign a long term deal for less than $20 mill? I'm betting it would take at least $30 mill in guaranteed money. $15 mill is a lot less if he doesn't pan out, and if he does, he can't go anywhere without us getting 2 firsts anyway. Leaving him on the current tender is a Win - Win for us, and him if he playes well.

His UFA number would still be higher than this year's franchise tag number.

kcchiefsus
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM

But your depending on no new CBA being agreed upon. That's a big risk. Locking up Cassel long term would be no different than what we would have done with any QB we took at the top of the draft.

Johnny Vegas
03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
If the Chiefs can get by this year without signing him I'm all for it. Make him work for his future. I think though they'll sign him sometime soon since Pioli knows what he has in his QB.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Why would you carry a $14 million price tag when you can lower it and lock him up long-term?

Dave Lane
03-01-2009, 12:28 PM

I think the deal is already agreed to, hence the delay from Vrable trade to Cassel being announced. The contract WAS the delay.

Gravedigger
03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, we traded for him so he has leverage about who got who. I see him signing a long term deal probably 5 or 6 years 50 60 million dollars.