PDA

View Full Version : Misc MU diplomas vs KU diplomas

luv
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Just curious. How many MU fans actually received diplomas from MU? Likewise, how many KU fans received diplomas from KU? If you're a fan of either of these teams, but did not graduate from either one, then where did you graduate from?

kstater
03-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a diploma from KSU. I'm fairly confident I'm not a fan of either of the teams you listed.

healthpellets
03-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Mizzou fan. Mizzou undergrad. Marquette for the JD. I'll always have a soft spot for Marquette basketball.

luv
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Eh. Probably not worth the bump, but I'm still curious to see.

Silock
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I am a KU fan, but I'm still a student there. I voted with the graduated option, though, because I will.

DJ's left nut
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I counted my JD. Undergrad was Truman State.

HolyHandgernade
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I attended KU for three years and then ran out of money. Stumbled into a job that became a great career, funny how things work out!

-HH

Braincase
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I graduated from Wichita State University. Would've gone to KU if it hadn't been for a WSU scholarship.

BWillie
03-01-2009, 06:39 PM
University of Iowa, but I was born in Lawrence. I grew up most of my youth in Iowa, so I could not really afford out of state tuition. Both my parents worked for the University. I grew up loving and bleeding crimson and blue ever since I was out of the womb.

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
KU fan, Washburn University alumnus. Washburn gave me a scholarship ;)

Free school trumps fandom. At least in terms of an education.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I graduated from Wichita State University. Would've gone to KU if it hadn't been for a WSU scholarship.

So you have two high school diplomas. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
So far it would appear that KU fans are more educated than MU fans. Take from that what you will..........

sedated
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
graduated KU, diehard KU fan, alcoholic pot-head who loves sex and sports.

CrazyPhuD
03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Grew up a KU fan, and even attended summer classes there after freshman year(for humanities electives). But didn't grad from there, my undergrad was a top 5 program for what I do so it was no question. Althought I'm sure it would have been fun. My best friend from HS is a KU alum though.

CrazyPhuD
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
BTW you need two new poll options

I'm a fan of MU but I graduated from KU

I'm a fan of KU but I graduated from MU

HC_Chief
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
graduated KU, diehard KU fan, alcoholic pot-head who loves sex and sports.

lol

sedated
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
luv, this thread was started about 20 minutes after I called you a fraud in another thread, and I made reference to an MU diploma. Did my commet upset you?

bowener
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Mizzou fan. Mizzou undergrad. Marquette for the JD. I'll always have a soft spot for Marquette basketball.

Do you recommend getting your JD? I am having a hard time deciding if I want to go into a PhD program to be a professor, or mastering in a field I did not get my undergrad in, or going to Law School.

My understand is that the first year of Law school is comparable to the first year of med school in its difficulty and time devotion.

Just need some information on how you feel it has served you. Also, what was your major? Pre-law, polisci?

luv
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
luv, this thread was started about 20 minutes after I called you a fraud in another thread, and I made reference to an MU diploma. Did my commet upset you?

Damn, you're more observant than I give you credit for. No, it didn't upset me. It just got me wondering.

sedated
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Damn, you're more observant than I give you credit for. No, it didn't upset me. It just got me wondering.

well, if it makes you feel any better, I still think you are a fraud.

I also think you are unlucky enough that, when you had to take a random stab at one of two teams to root for (when you have little to no connection to either) you chose the eternal loser.

luv
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

I also think you are unlucky enough that, when you had to take a random stab at one of two teams to root for (when you have little to no connection to either) you chose the eternal loser.

It's an overflow from my ability to pick men.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM

I also think you are unlucky enough that, when you had to take a random stab at one of two teams to root for (when you have little to no connection to either) you chose the eternal loser.Heheh, well... if you have no real connection to either team, it's better than being a front-running little bitch who roots for the rival, rather than the college who's state you were born and raised in.

Extra Point
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Born in KS, got a degree in the MU system, got kids that are going to KU. I'll root for who the Hell I want, when the Hell I want.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Born in KS, got a degree in the MU system, got kids that are going to KU. I'll root for who the Hell I want, when the Hell I want.Fair enough. :thumb:

Craqhead
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Missed Collage too go Defend our Country.

Was in North Carolina when I became a KU fan. Did'nt see the KU ~vs~ OU for the National Championship game. Being that Larry Brown was from N.C. and Coach at KU at that time was all over the news out there. Then Roy Williams coming out here too be the next Coach. During this time was when I became a Chiefs fan as well. As they were something from home.

joesomebody
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Mizzou fan that is still in school. At MU. The game sucked. I didn't post to the poll, because none of them really fit. I am an MU fan that has not graduated from MU yet :)

rageeumr
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Mizzou Fan. Graduated from a UM system school (Rolla). Got my MBA at KU. Was there a poll option for that?

healthpellets
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Do you recommend getting your JD? I am having a hard time deciding if I want to go into a PhD program to be a professor, or mastering in a field I did not get my undergrad in, or going to Law School.

My understand is that the first year of Law school is comparable to the first year of med school in its difficulty and time devotion.

Just need some information on how you feel it has served you. Also, what was your major? Pre-law, polisci?

comes down to what you want to do. if you really want to teach, and love research, go with the MA/MS or the PhD. if you want to practice law, go get your law degree. but before you do that, know that practicing law is what you want to do. and know two other things: 1) do you want to make money or practice law; 2) where do you want to practice?

if you want to make money, lots of money, move to the east or west coast, go to a top 15 school, graduate in the top 15% of your class and you're set. really, you are. if you pursue that route, and after your first semester you finish out of the top 25%, quit. go get your Ph.D. whatever grades you get your first semester will resemble your grades for the next 2.5 years.

if you think the law would be a nice profession, and you want to make a comfortable salary, find a school in the state you want to practice, get as much of a full ride as possible, and take out as few loans as possible. that way you aren't tied to practicing just to pay your loans. because they are substantial, very substantial, payments. and you don't want to be saddled with those payments if you're not practicing. it's just not worth it.

the most important advice i can offer is simply go to school in the state, preferably the city, in which you want to practice. forget school rankings. UMKC is a crappy school if you look at rankings. MU and KU are top 50 (or they were), but if you graduate out of the top 1/3, it doesn't much matter where you went unless your diploma says Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc. It's all about networking. If your choice is a full ride at UMKC or a partial scholarship at Washington University, go to UMKC. if you decide you don't want to practice, no big deal. no $1,000 a month loan payments.

you get jobs by knowing people. and you can't meet people if you aren't in the city. you can't join the local bar association and get to know potential employers. you can't meet the people you need to meet to get a job. of course, this means nothing if you are in the top 10%. you'll get a job wherever you want. but there's a better chance you won't be in the top 10% than you will be. so take that for what it's worth.

whatever path you choose will be a lot of work. just know that going in. i haven't been to med school, but i can't imagine that law school even comes close to the academic rigors that students face in med school. the first year of law school is simply an adjustment in learning style. the faster you adapt, the more quickly you will succeed.

but good luck to you whatever you choose to do.

i doubled in political science and philosophy in undergrad.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
No offense, luv, because this topic gets brought up all the time... it just gives me another opportunity to say this topic is absolutely pointless.

A couple of reasons... first, winning programs are going to attract fair weather fans, so even if this forum is indicative of one or both fan bases, wondering why Kansas has more fans that didn't go there is like wondering why you see Yankees hats everywhere or why everyone was a Bulls fan in the 90s. Along with success, you aren't going to start rooting for a team you can't ever watch, and Kansas gets a lot more national spots than Mizzou.

Also, I fell in love with Roy Williams' style long before I went to college, and I wasn't going to pick a college based on that (and I wasn't going to pay the out of state tuition, either (I think it was just a year before KU started including KCMO counties as in-state :banghead: )). One has nothing to do with the other.

So.. I'm a Kansas fan, went to NWMSU for my undergrad degree (when I started at NW, there was a rumor that Missouri wanted it to be a part of the MU family).

Redrum_69
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
you should have titled this "GED vs high school diploma"

that way, your standards wouldnt be set so high for rejection

Spott
03-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Well if she is from Missouri and has no ties to the state of Kansas, she should have absolutely no reason to root for KU. If she did, that would make her a bandwagon fan and more of a "fraud".

luv
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM
No offense, luv, because this topic gets brought up all the time... it just gives me another opportunity to say this topic is absolutely pointless.

A couple of reasons... first, winning programs are going to attract fair weather fans, so even if this forum is indicative of one or both fan bases, wondering why Kansas has more fans that didn't go there is like wondering why you see Yankees hats everywhere or why everyone was a Bulls fan in the 90s. Along with success, you aren't going to start rooting for a team you can't ever watch, and Kansas gets a lot more national spots than Mizzou.

Also, I fell in love with Roy Williams' style long before I went to college, and I wasn't going to pick a college based on that (and I wasn't going to pay the out of state tuition, either (I think it was just a year before KU started including KCMO counties as in-state :banghead: )). One has nothing to do with the other.

So.. I'm a Kansas fan, went to NWMSU for my undergrad degree (when I started at NW, there was a rumor that Missouri wanted it to be a part of the MU family).

Sedated stated that I was a fraud, and that I was acting like I had an MU dilpoma hanging on my wall. It just made me wonder how many fans of either school actually went to that school.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 10:25 PM

So.. I'm a Kansas fan, went to NWMSU for my undergrad degree (when I started at NW, there was a rumor that Missouri wanted it to be a part of the MU family).I became a Mizzou fan for three reasons...

#1, I was born and raised here... in Missouri, and I'm not a front running douchebag.

#2, My HS Girlfriend was a year older than me... she went to Mizzou, I went to CMSU. I spent a lot of time on campus at Mizzou, and met a a couple players at sorority parties who were cool as hell.

#3, The Triple OT game vs. Illinios.

Then Melvin Booker, Jevon Crudup and the rest went undefeated in the Big 8, and the deal was sealed.

Reerun_KC
03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I am a life long fan of KU, Royals and Chiefs..

Unfortantly I didnt graduate from KU, I am graduating from Utah Valley University...

Life long dream to attend KU, but life isnt always fair.

Reaper16
03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
MU fan (though I don't hate KU) will graduate next month from Northwest Missouri State University. If I am rejected from the M.F.A. programs that I applied to, I will be enrolling at MU in the fall for a M.A. in English with Shakespeare's Pizza emphasis.

Bowser
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm out of toilet paper. Any of you KU grads got your diploma handy?

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
MU fan (though I don't hate KU) WTF?

Stick around, the local Beakers will get you up to speed.

KcMizzou
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm out of toilet paper. Any of you KU grads got your diploma handy?There ya go.

:D

luv
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
WTF?

LMAO

Reaper16
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
WTF?

I'm odd like that. I don't have any formal allegiances to either school. It is better for the KC area, imo, when both teams are successful. Hell, when K-State is, too.

That said, I'm always rooting for MU straight up vs KU.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm out of toilet paper. Any of you KU grads got your diploma handy?

Don't worry, you don't need a degree from Kansas to shop at WalMart, but you will have to get all dressed up...

http://themetalmountaineer.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dressed-up-for-walmart.jpg

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I became a Mizzou fan for three reasons...

#1, I was born and raised here... in Missouri, and I'm not a front running douchebag.

#2, My HS Girlfriend was a year older than me... she went to Mizzou, I went to CMSU. I spent a lot of time on campus at Mizzou, and met a a couple players at sorority parties who were cool as hell.

#3, The Triple OT game vs. Illinios.

Then Melvin Booker, Jevon Crudup and the rest went undefeated in the Big 8, and the deal was sealed.

I've always lived on the Missouri side, but I just liked watching the Jayhawks when I was a kid... and just like Mizzou success helped your decision, winning was part of it, but I just really liked the style of basketball.

Also, one whole side of the family is pro-Mizzou, so the anti-social in me liked being different. :)

Bowser
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
My dad HATEHATEHATED the Jayhawks when I was a kid. I'm pretty ambivalent about them, right up until all the KU fans I work with start going Bronco fan and pissing me off.

I've just accepted that KU is a grade above MU in hoops, but football is another thing.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 10:57 PM
My dad HATEHATEHATED the Jayhawks when I was a kid. I'm pretty ambivalent about them, right up until all the KU fans I work with start going Bronco fan and pissing me off.

I've just accepted that KU is a grade above MU in hoops, but football is another thing.

Yeah, they're dead even. ;)

Bowser
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, they're dead even. ;)

4th and 26. Give me a fucking break. Gah.

Bearcat
03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
4th and 26. Give me a ****ing break. Gah.

Not going to say it, not going to say it, not going to say it......

Silock
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Scoreboard?

Pablo
03-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Born in Ohio. Spent the vast majority of my life in MO.

Graduating from MWSU in May.

I suppose my fandom has everything to do with being laid up in KU Med Center with pneumonia when the Big 12 tourney was going on, and Quin Snyder being a douche of epic proportions.

I had delusions about attending KU at one point, but then I saw how much out of state tuition was.

KcMizzou
03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Not going to say it, not going to say it, not going to say it......Good.

STFU

The Buddha
03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I always heard that Mizzou was the more serious school for things like Law and Medicine, but KU was the funner, easier-going and bigger party school.

That being said, I'd go to KU. But I'm a Mizzou fan by sport, because I've never lived in Kansas. I have no reason to cheer for them.

KcMizzou
03-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I always heard that Mizzou was the more serious school for things like Law and Medicine, but KU was the funner, easier-going and bigger party school.

That being said, I'd go to KU. But I'm a Mizzou fan by sport, because I've never lived in Kansas. I have no reason to cheer for them.Mizzou's big on journalism... and sweet sorority parties. :D

That's about all I can comment on.

Silock
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM

That being said, I'd go to KU. But I'm a Mizzou fan by sport, because I've never lived in Kansas. I have no reason to cheer for them.

KU has a number of highly ranked programs, most notably the Public Administration program.

The Buddha
03-02-2009, 12:50 AM
KU has a number of highly ranked programs, most notably the Public Administration program.

I knew my generalization couldn't be too accurate. To play the role of the lame peacemaker, I don't think any big conference public school (like, say, the BCS conferences) has a BAD school.

If I had my pick of any big 12 school to go to, I'd probably pick UT, with Colorado being second. You'd be lying to yourself if you thought Lawrence or Columbia is as cool of a place as Austin or Boulder. :-) And my least favorites would be OU in Norman or TT in Lubbock. Those places sound incredibly boring, socially.

But KU did make Playboy's party schools (in the top 15 or so), and Mizzou wasn't even mentioned. So as a Mizzou fan, I'd say we have some work to do...lol! :-)

Bearcat
03-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Good.

STFU

I still can't believe it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Braincase
03-02-2009, 07:28 AM
So you have two high school diplomas. :D

They don't call it Hillside High for nothing... but with my wife as KU faculty, when the time is right I might go back to school and get paper from KU. The way things are going with her research & patents, I'll be working on a PhD in History in a few years.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I have a diploma from KSU. I'm fairly confident I'm not a fan of either of the teams you listed.

This

kepp
03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm an MU fan but gratuated from SMSU (now Missouri State). I grew up close to COMO that's why I'm a fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
My uncle has lived in Kansas City his entire life and is a big Jayhawk fan. But he has never attended a game at Allen Field House nor has he ever lived in the state of Kansas. So.. you have a KU fan that has no real reason to be one.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 08:36 AM
My uncle has lived in Kansas City his entire life and is a big Jayhawk fan. But he has never attended a game at Allen Field House nor has he ever lived in the state of Kansas. So.. you have a KU fan that has no real reason to be one.

Makes sense to me. He's your typical Jayhawk fan.

;)

HonestChieffan
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
KU Fans are generally have a better understanding of the game. I didn't go to either school but have been to many games in Columbia and in Lawrence. I was pretty neutral at first as long as Mizzou was continuing to fail in the Illini games each December. But over time i have developed into a KU fan based more on the quality of the program, consistancy of excellent players and a program that does not have a cloud like MU seems to always have.

Fan behavior at a game is a major contrast. I have never been to a college game anywhere where the fans are as simply obnoxious and ill mannered as they are at MU and the school has encouraged that going back to Norms days there. Its almost like you dont see MU fand develop basketball understanding past the "you suck" phase. That whole antler thing is and always will be a mystery to me.

Ive seen many times KU fans applaud and recognize good play from an opponant on the court. That would never happen in Columbia. Comes down to MU=rude and uninformed behavior vs. KU= true fans of the game.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
KU Fans are generally have a better understanding of the game. I didn't go to either school but have been to many games in Columbia and in Lawrence. I was pretty neutral at first as long as Mizzou was continuing to fail in the Illini games each December. But over time i have developed into a KU fan based more on the quality of the program, consistancy of excellent players and a program that does not have a cloud like MU seems to always have.

Fan behavior at a game is a major contrast. I have never been to a college game anywhere where the fans are as simply obnoxious and ill mannered as they are at MU and the school has encouraged that going back to Norms days there. Its almost like you dont see MU fand develop basketball understanding past the "you suck" phase. That whole antler thing is and always will be a mystery to me.

Ive seen many times KU fans applaud and recognize good play from an opponant on the court. That would never happen in Columbia. Comes down to MU=rude and uninformed behavior vs. KU= true fans of the game.

:LOL:

Another typical KU fan.

"I are no KU 'collage', but we is better than you.....because we is KU"
LMAO

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't go that far. The 3 times I have been to Allen Field house I was treated pretty rudely because I didn't cheer just for the Jayhwaks, I just wanted to see a good game. I have been the MU 2 times and was treated ok.. not great.. but not like I was at the old Veterans stadium in Philthy while the Eagles were losing to Tampa. But most people I work with are KU fans and about 1/2 of them went there and the other half had never been to a KU game in their life. I really only know a few MU fans and they have been beaten down so badly (kinda like a lot of Chiefs fans I know and like just about every Buc fan in the 80's) that they almost felt like they were doomed. But some of the KU fans I know do act like they are better because they root for a winning team (a little Dallas Cowboy in them).

Braincase
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
:LOL:

Another typical KU fan.

"I are no KU 'collage', but we is better than you.....because we is KU"
LMAO

Please...if you want to start cracking on "typical fans" and stereotypes, K-State is fraught with examples.

HonestChieffan
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't go that far. The 3 times I have been to Allen Field house I was treated pretty rudely because I didn't cheer just for the Jayhwaks, I just wanted to see a good game. I have been the MU 2 times and was treated ok.. not great.. but not like I was at the old Veterans stadium in Philthy while the Eagles were losing to Tampa. But most people I work with are KU fans and about 1/2 of them went there and the other half had never been to a KU game in their life. I really only know a few MU fans and they have been beaten down so badly (kinda like a lot of Chiefs fans I know and like just about every Buc fan in the 80's) that they almost felt like they were doomed. But some of the KU fans I know do act like they are better because they root for a winning team (a little Dallas Cowboy in them).

The behavior at Arrowhead has degraded over time as well. I lay that on our bad teams and horrible coaching and Carl making us all angry before the kickoff. Hopefully if we do come around, civility can return to AH again.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Please...if you want to start cracking on "typical fans" and stereotypes, K-State is fraught with examples.

Yes, we know.

Now, shouldn't you be warming up your Miata, while I fire up my John Deere?

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
The behavior at Arrowhead has degraded over time as well. I lay that on our bad teams and horrible coaching and Carl making us all angry before the kickoff. Hopefully if we do come around, civility can return to AH again.

I have only ever been to Arrowhead twice. Once was in the mid 80's when Tampa came to town, I came up here to visit some family and went to the game and this past October to see Tampa. I do remember almost getting in a fight during Barry Manilow's 1st game with the Chiefs though down at Tampa in 93.

Braincase
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, we know.

Now, shouldn't you be warming up your Miata, while I fire up my John Deere?

Sheyit... I long for the day I can fit in a Miata. But hey, the Honda is paid for, and the wife is driving the Ford Flex (fun set of wheels by the way).

If I'm driving a two-seat convertible, it's most likely going to be the Audi TT. I know I can fit my heft into that one.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Sheyit... I long for the day I can fit in a Miata. But hey, the Honda is paid for, and the wife is driving the Ford Flex (fun set of wheels by the way).

If I'm driving a two-seat convertible, it's most likely going to be the Audi TT. I know I can fit my heft into that one.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Trying to fold my 6'5", 40-sumpin-sumpin-year-old body into a 2-seater with a bad back is not very fun.

Now, my John Deere Convertible with a souped up engine? That's no problem
;)

Braincase
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I know the feeling. Trying to fold my 6'5", 40-sumpin-sumpin-year-old body into a 2-seater with a bad back is not very fun.

Now, my John Deere Convertible with a souped up engine? That's no problem
;)

When you're in the market for a new one, my BIL sells Deere out of Clay Center. He's supposed to get the football tix this next year. He did not have a good time at Memorial Stadium this last year.

luv
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Civility. I hope you don't mean fans sitting thorugh the entire game and not yelling when the ref makes a bad call.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM

The only anomaly is the Cubs.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM

I've been to several Big XII stadiums and arenas, never had a problem. In fact the only time I had any comments directed towards me was this year, but they were deserved. :)

Arrowhead is by far the worst environment i've been to for opposing teams fans - even when we had winning teams.

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I've been to several Big XII stadiums and arenas, never had a problem. In fact the only time I had any comments directed towards me was this year, but they were deserved. :)

Arrowhead is by far the worst environment i've been to for opposing teams fans - even when we had winning teams.

I don't know.. Philly was the worst. Hell even Philly fans when they played in Tampa were trying to start fights.

Reerun_KC
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Arrowhead can scare the crap out of people... I think I have seen more fights there than any stadium anywhere...

The most polite - Clemson SC/New Orleans Dome

Most violent - Arrowhead (never been to Philly)

Rudest - LLyod Noble in Norman

Funnest - Allen FieldHouse

Regarding the big 12, most are pretty human and polite, but OU fans can suck it...