PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ trade for Cassel puts Thigpen in backup role

Tribal Warfare
03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Chiefs’ trade for Cassel puts Thigpen in backup role (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1060756.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

All Tyler Thigpen could do as the Chiefs entered the player acquisition phase of the offseason was hope his play last season was enough to persuade Scott Pioli and Todd Haley that he deserved at least a chance to be the starting quarterback next season.

That hope was shot down Saturday when the Chiefs traded with New England for Matt Cassel, who is the new starting quarterback.

Thigpen instead becomes one of four backup candidates, joining Brodie Croyle, Quinn Gray and Ingle Martin. Veteran Damon Huard was released last week.

Thigpen is the most accomplished player of the bunch, but that may or may not count for much. Thigpen put a spark into a lifeless Chiefs offense after becoming their starter midway through last season.

He wound up throwing for 2,608 yards and 18 touchdowns, but the Chiefs still won only one of the 11 games he started.

Thigpen wasn’t available for comment Saturday.

“I don’t know if this is news that’s all that bad,” said Thigpen’s agent, Joel Turner. “It doesn’t change a whole lot. Tyler’s still under contract. We knew all along they were going to bring somebody in to compete with him.

“You can’t be foolish. Obviously, they’re going to give (Cassel) the starting job no matter what. That just puts Tyler in a position he wasn’t too far removed from a year ago at this time, so it’s not that big of a deal.”

Croyle was solid as the starting quarterback at this time last year. The Chiefs also still had Huard.

The biggest difference is that Thigpen had a supporter in then-coach Herm Edwards. Cassel, who played with Pioli the last four seasons with the Patriots, will be the favorite of the new administration.

“Tyler’s not going to be like some players who are put in this position,” Turner said. “He’s not going to ask to be traded or released or anything like that. He’s going to work as hard as he always has.”

Tribal Warfare
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Nice spin by Thigpen's agent BTW

kcxiv
03-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I still hope Thigpen acts like he's the starter. Hell, i hope every single player on the roster does. This team needs people that want to be in there and want to play and win games.

Chiefshrink
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow!! This article is stating the obvious. Thigpen will be traded I bet to get a couple of late rd picks

milkman
03-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Wow!! This article is stating the obvious.

I read the headline and immediately thought "Well.....duh...."

Dr. Johnny Fever
Teicher really needed something to write didn't he. That's the biggest duh article ever.

bowener
In the long run, this could help Thigpen out quite a bit. He will get the chance to finally learn from good coaches (apparent that the Viking coaches werent so good-- looking at their QB choices) and Herm was obviously a fucking retard along with Dick Curl.

Who knows, maybe in 2-3 years he will be prepared enough that we either trade him to another team for a lower pick and he finds his way into starting, or he comes in and starts for us via a Matt Cassell type situation. Then he can be traded for a lot higher value. He has skills, he just needs time to learn to play in the NFL.

wild1
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't mind keeping Thigpen on the roster, but I wish we had a veteran QB around as well.

Rausch
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice spin by Thigpen's agent BTW

I don't think it's spin at all.

I'm sure his agent is fucking ecstatic a castoff practice squad guy has gone from 3 to 2 on the depth chart.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Where have all the Thigpen homers been the past couple of days??

ChiTown
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
back to where Thiggy belongs - carrying a clipboard for a couple years.

DaKCMan AP
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Cassel, Thigpen & Gray.

Bye bye Brodie & dIngle.

Hammock Parties
03-01-2009, 07:19 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5029/bye.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bye.jpg)

milkman
03-01-2009, 07:19 PM

There were a couple of guys that said they wish we'd have given Thigpen another year.

blueballs
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Since it's third string I give Brokie the edge over Gray
Gray has done all he's going to
hit those protien shakes Croyle

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I can't believe there still people on god's green monkey farm who REALLY believe that Croyle is still a part of this team.

Utterly baffling.

blueballs
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
3rd string is for development
Gray is all he can be
hell they may not even carry a #3

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
There were a couple of guys that said they wish we'd have given Thigpen another year.

Had we moved in the direction of Sanchez, yes, I believe Thigpen should have started in 2009. Largely because I don't like starting rookie QBs from the get-go and I especially don't think either Sanchez or Stafford are going to be immediately NFL-ready. However, I think myself and most people in this school believed taht Thigpen would not only have to be good to keep his job, but Super Bowl calibre outstanding. Bringing in a more accomplished veteran QB changes the whole game.

That being said, I don't know why people are now so anxious to push Thigpen out the door. I like the guy and I think he's going to work his ass off to improve. I would love to see how this guy develops in a backup role. You can teach him the footwork and the mechanics. If Cassel fails, you can see if the new and improved Thigpen fares better. If Cassel gets injured, you have a competent QB in Thigpen who might be able to steal a win or two for you.

kcxiv
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM

I wouldnt have minded if they did, but i dont get all crazy like alot of people on here. I am willing to sit back and wait to see if their choices pan out or not before i jump the gun and pass judgement.

I did the same with Herm, i wasnt thrilled about getting him, but i was like, well he's our coach, i wish him well, but we learned fairly fast, that he just sucked.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Had we moved in the direction of Sanchez, yes, I believe Thigpen should have started in 2009. Largely because I don't like starting rookie QBs from the get-go and I especially don't think either Sanchez or Stafford are going to be immediately NFL-ready. However, I think myself and most people in this school believed taht Thigpen would not only have to be good to keep his job, but Super Bowl calibre outstanding. Bringing in a more accomplished veteran QB changes the whole game.

That being said, I don't know why people are now so anxious to push Thigpen out the door. I like the guy and I think he's going to work his ass off to improve. I would love to see how this guy develops in a backup role. You can teach him the footwork and the mechanics. If Cassel fails, you can see if the new and improved Thigpen fares better. If Cassel gets injured, you have a competent QB in Thigpen who might be able to steal a win or two for you.

I don't necessarily hate him, I just wanted him in his damned good and proper place.

And now he is.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
We might need to bring in another QB, to be honest, if Thigpen wets himself once removed from the water pistol.

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
We might need to bring in another QB, to be honest, if Thigpen wets himself once removed from the water pistol.

I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in a veteran that would purely serve as a backup. Maybe even Leftwich is worth a look if he comes dirt cheap. Just a guy who can hold a clipboard and is perfectly comfortable knowing that he won't be the starter for your team, but who might be able to come in and take a few snaps if Cassel gets hurt for a few games in a playoff push.

RealSNR
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Croyle proved plenty last season.

He proved that he can not be trusted in ANY role. Backup, starter, what have you.

What good are you to a team if you aren't healthy enough to play when called upon?

Yeah, it's unfortunate. He could have been good. But too bad.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in a veteran that would purely serve as a backup. Maybe even Leftwich is worth a look if he comes dirt cheap. Just a guy who can hold a clipboard and is perfectly comfortable knowing that he won't be the starter for your team, but who might be able to come in and take a few snaps if Cassel gets hurt for a few games in a playoff push.

We won't need to worry about a playoff push next year, but a vet. would make a good deal of sense.

Joey Harrington or Kitna might be good possibilities. Not sure if either has signed or been re-signed.

blueballs
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
They need a practice squad guy
I don't think anybody on the roster qualifies

DaKCMan AP
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
We won't need to worry about a playoff push next year, but a vet. would make a good deal of sense.

Joey Harrington or Kitna might be good possibilities. Not sure if either has signed or been re-signed.

Kitna was traded to Dallas.

DeezNutz
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Kitna was traded to Dallas.

Yes, that's right. Thank you.

And I need to check out the FA signings thread.

FAX
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Croyle proved plenty last season.

He proved that he can not be trusted in ANY role. Backup, starter, what have you.

What good are you to a team if you aren't healthy enough to play when called upon?

Yeah, it's unfortunate. He could have been good. But too bad.

Yep. On all counts, yep.

The story of Croyle is a sad, sad tale of woe and broken bones.

FAX

petegz28
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I read the headline and immediately thought "Well.....duh...."

:LOL:

Nothing gets past Inspector Teicher. Nothing!

BigRichard
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Pretty much everyone that was wanting Thigpen also said he should be fighting for his job against someone else they brought in. None of the "homers" said he should just be given the starting spot. I don't think any of us "homers" expected them to bring in someone like Cassel.

Pioli Zombie
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Will there be an article in Boston Globe tomorrow with the headline:

CASSEL TRADE TO CHIEFS GIVES STARTING QB JOB TO TOM BRADY
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
can play fullback or wr

boogblaster
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
THigpen will be no.2 and that aint nothin to bad ...

Mecca
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Yea one of them was Kc Johnny so we know where that argument lies.