PDA

View Full Version : News 610am - going down the shi$%^$?

Lzen
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I used to like listening to 610am in the mornings. They used to talk about a lot of things that I am interested in, like Jayhawks and Chiefs news. Or even just college hoops and college football in general. Even some NBA stuff. Here lately, however, all I hear on my drive to work (7:45-8:00am) is Roger Twibell talking about the Royals. Every damn day for the past couple of weeks, that is what I hear when I flip over there in the morning on the drive to work. Of course, I change the channel and just listen to 810.

Yeah, I know it is spring training and they are getting geared up for the season. But it hasn't even started yet. We have sports going on now that have meaning. The KU/MU game was a big game yesterday. No mention of it. What about the big trade the Chiefs made to acquire Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel? I know 610 bought the rights to the Royals games last year, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Reaper16
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Royals > j00

Mecca
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Yea 610 is really really big on promoting the Royals now...ask that guy DA.

03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
610 sports is really 610 Royals. Has been for a while now.

ChiTown
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Roger Twibell = Loser, Has Been

I'd rather listen to finger nails scratching a chalk board than that dipshit.

keg in kc
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I can't even think of the last time I listened to 610.

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I used to like listening to 610am in the mornings. They used to talk about a lot of things that I am interested in, like Jayhawks and Chiefs news. Or even just college hoops and college football in general. Even some NBA stuff. Here lately, however, all I hear on my drive to work (7:45-8:00am) is Roger Twibell talking about the Royals. Every damn day for the past couple of weeks, that is what I hear when I flip over there in the morning on the drive to work. Of course, I change the channel and just listen to 810.

Yeah, I know it is spring training and they are getting geared up for the season. But it hasn't even started yet. We have sports going on now that have meaning. The KU/MU game was a big game yesterday. No mention of it. What about the big trade the Chiefs made to acquire Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel? I know 610 bought the rights to the Royals games last year, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

You listened to him over the boarder patrol.... that was your mistake.

KCFalcon59
03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I agree. I was wondering the same thing driving in to work today. Sports talk radio in KC is horrible right now. Needs an overhaul.

Wa-Z
What happened to Marty?..or Neal...not sure which one isn't there anymore..

Stewie
610 is hurting these days. I can't stand to listen. Between Twibell and Neal Jones in the afternoon it's just horrible.

keg in kc
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
What happened to Marty?..or Neal...not sure which one isn't there anymore..I used to call that show Vanilla and Vanilla-er.

Mecca
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
610 has the most boring hosts ever they are like paint drying...You could literally take a few of us from this forum and give us a show and it would be more entertaining.

HonestChieffan
03-02-2009, 09:13 AM
My bet is in this economy one of the two sports talkers will tank. Id be pleased. It would be nice to have a non sports radio station in KC with a signal that gets out further than raytown at night and that gives weather and news.

KC Radio overall sucks.

Coogs
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM

I thought exactly the same thing on my drive to work this AM. Same time frame too! It's not that I don't like the Royals either, but damn!

Demonpenz
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
royals signed a key pitcher

DeezNutz
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure how 610 is still in business.

Terrible, terrible sports talk radio. Not only are the hosts boring, but they're largely spineless.

Mecca
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure how 610 is still in business.

Terrible, terrible sports talk radio. Not only are the hosts boring, but they're largely spineless.

They should hire us to do a show...

Reaper16
03-02-2009, 09:28 AM
A ChiefsPlanet show would be entertaining as fuck.

Mecca
03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
A ChiefsPlanet show would be entertaining as fuck.

Do I get to host?

Reaper16
03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Do I get to host?
Why not? I'm not so concerned with hosts as I am with how to fit in enough unique segments. Demonpenz needs a tri-weekly spot at least. Dane can report from Hollywood. I can talk about music that people should be listening to. We need an entire daily spot where Hamas answers calls, telling the callers to "Kill yourself," or to "Look at how dumb you are." Etc.

DeezNutz
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

I honestly believe that several of the witty, knowledgeable posters on this forum could do a far better job. I'm not kidding.

patteeu
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
It's the curse of being the royal's flagship station. 810 sucked when they had the royals too. That's when 610 used to call itself "the football channel".

kc rush
03-02-2009, 09:58 AM
The Chiefs Radio Network has been in play off and on recently, and 101 KCFX has been able to retain the rights.

I am convinced that 610 hired Twibell in hopes of landing the broadcast rights since Twibell and Carl are buddy buddy. Now that Carl is gone everything has changed, and I'm not sure that 610 will survive given their low ratings.

hawkchief
03-02-2009, 10:06 AM
It's the curse of being the royal's flagship station. 810 sucked when they had the royals too. That's when 610 used to call itself "the football channel".

810 sucks worse than ever. The arrogance and condescension of Petro and Keitzman are at an all-time high. Add a pathetic Klikdale to the mix, and some of us have moved on to music.

Chief_in_Commander
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM

I'm not sure what you listened to but they were discussing KU/MU on my way to work this morning around 8:00 so maybe it was later but that's all I heard. The did say Frank White was getting ready to interview but what do you expect they are in Arizona for the Royals.

Mecca
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
810 sucks worse than ever. The arrogance and condescension of Petro and Keitzman are at an all-time high. Add a pathetic Klikdale to the mix, and some of us have moved on to music.

It's still better than 610...and hey I can relate to condescending, if I had to deal with the typical sports radio caller I'd be worse than they are, have you heard how retarded those callers are?

Pioli Zombie
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Roger Twibell = Loser, Has Been

I'd rather listen to finger nails scratching a chalk board than that dipshit.
When I was growing up Roger Twibell was the doofus who replaced Len Berman on WBZ in Boston

He was embarrassing thirty years ago. It cracked me up to see he landed out here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
You listened to him over the boarder patrol.... that was your mistake.

I like the morning guys on 810 (don't care much for the afternoon guys - KK is annoying at times). But I will change channels if they start talking about something that I don't want to listen to (such as NASCAR or MU news) or go to commercial.

I do think Neil Jones in the afternoon is alright.

Lzen
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Do I get to host?

Buddy, you've got a face made for radio. :thumb:

Mecca
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Buddy, you've got a face made for radio. :thumb:

I thought it was made for country music?

Pioli Zombie
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Why not? I'm not so concerned with hosts as I am with how to fit in enough unique segments. Demonpenz needs a tri-weekly spot at least. Dane can report from Hollywood. I can talk about music that people should be listening to. We need an entire daily spot where Hamas answers calls, telling the callers to "Kill yourself," or to "Look at how dumb you are." Etc.
Darth Carl Satan should be utilized as well for entertainment and ratings
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark M
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
The only decent sports in the morning is 1510 and the Mike and Mike show. But that's about it.

610 just plain sucks. Twibell is bad, Neil Jones is the most horrific radio host in history -- whiny, cuts people off, has no clue what the hell he's talking about most of the time -- and Nick Wright is a clown of epic proportions.

And 810 is just as bad, with the self-righteous KK and Clinksdork in the p.m. (still want to see that police video KK had suppressed) and the insanely annoying Steven St. Stupid in the a.m.

God bless my iPod ...

MM
~~:)

Lzen
03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure what you listened to but they were discussing KU/MU on my way to work this morning around 8:00 so maybe it was later but that's all I heard. The did say Frank White was getting ready to interview but what do you expect they are in Arizona for the Royals.

See, that is also what I was wondering. It may be that they do throw in a little bit of other stuff. Perhaps at the time I am driving to work it is always Royals discussion time.

Oh well, what can ya do? I sent them an email the other day complaining of this. It probably won't even get read, but at least it made me feel a little better. :)

DeezNutz
The only decent sports in the morning is 1510 and the Mike and Mike show. But that's about it.

610 just plain sucks. Twibell is bad, Neil Jones is the most horrific radio host in history -- whiny, cuts people off, has no clue what the hell he's talking about most of the time -- and Nick Wright is a clown of epic proportions.

And 810 is just as bad, with the self-righteous KK and Clinksdork in the p.m. (still want to see that police video KK had suppressed) and the insanely annoying Steven St. Stupid in the a.m.

God bless my iPod ...

MM
~~:)

What video are you talking about?

Pioli Zombie
Geniuses on 810 are saying at #3 they should still draft a qb.

So much for sports talk radio to find football "expertise"
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
It's still better than 610...and hey I can relate to condescending, if I had to deal with the typical sports radio caller I'd be worse than they are, have you heard how retarded those callers are?

This is true. There are some severely retarded callers some days. :shake:

Mecca
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Petro is saying he wouldn't have moved for Cassell and at best "he's Trent Green again"

Pioli Zombie
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Petro is saying he wouldn't have moved for Cassell and at best "he's Trent Green again"

Didn't he also say they should still draft a qb? Good God
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Geniuses on 810 are saying at #3 they should still draft a qb.

So much for sports talk radio to find football "expertise"
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I just listen to local sports talk radio to hear varying opinions and local teams news. But yeah, that is idiotic.

DeezNutz
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Yep. I don't disagree.

Hope I'm wrong...

Mecca
03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Didn't he also say they should still draft a qb? Good God
Posted via Mobile Device

Nah he didn't say that he was talking about something Keitzman said a long time ago you'd have to be a frequent listener to know that.

He basically said if one of these other guys Sanchez, Stafford etc become really good and we coulda had him we're all gonna look back and go "coulda had him"

Pioli Zombie
03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
You guys would know more than me but did Trent Green suck or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
You guys would know more than me but did Trent Green suck or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

No. Not at all.

But if you hear that someone's upside is Trent Green, that's not really a compliment. He was a successful system QB, but not a franchise guy. And when the line wasn't all world, there was a noticeable drop in his level of play.

More so than what there would have been with an elite talent.

Al Bundy
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Thank god for Sirius NFL Radio.

petegz28
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
GO ROYALS!!!

Chief_in_Commander
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
See that's funny, i'm not saying Petro is wrong or Schlereth (sp?) on espn, because I just watched his video about the trade and he thought it was great because we get a guy that is a good athlete who can move on his feet and has great armstrength but needs to work on his accuracy. Is that not the polar opposite of Trent Green? Accuracy but little arm strength and 0 mobility?

Mecca
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
See that's funny, i'm not saying Petro is wrong or Schlereth (sp?) on espn, because I just watched his video about the trade and he thought it was great because we get a guy that is a good athlete who can move on his feet and has great armstrength but needs to work on his accuracy. Is that not the polar opposite of Trent Green? Accuracy but little arm strength and 0 mobility?

He's basically saying he's not a franchise QB.

ChiefsCountry
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
610 has the Royals radio rights, its why they pimp them so much. Fox has the golden ticket when it comes to KC radio with the Chiefs.

Chief_in_Commander
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
He's basically saying he's not a franchise QB.
And Schlereth used those words in his video TO describe Cassel

Jerm
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Just out of curiosity...what ever happened to Marty Wahl or whatever his name is? I quit listening to 610 for a while, flipped it on there one day, and Neal Jones was hosting the show solo? Was he part of the cuts or whatever they had?

blaise
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, they cut Marty.

Archie F. Swin
03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
You guys should stream WWLS Oklahoma City (The Sports Animal) for a week...then you'll fall right back in love with KC talk radio.

Jilly
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I used to love the DA show, what happened to that guy?

Chief Henry
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
610 has the AAA Baseball Royals radio rights, its why they pimp them so much. Fox has the golden ticket when it comes to KC radio with the Chiefs.

Fixed your post :D

blaise
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I think the sports radio here is a lot worse then it was two years ago. Here's how I look at the two stations:

Twibell and MaCarrigher (sp?) - a really terrible show. Twibell (at least how he comes across on radio) is a pompous, arrogant guy. He's very boring, he's a HUGE KU homer, and he loves dropping names of all the athletes he knows or has interviewed. That show should be broadcast in nursing homes. And the way they read the texts "This from the 913…This from the 816…" Just stupid. For the first two months of the show I don't even think they took a call, and then it seemed like they only did it under duress. One of the worst shows I've ever heard.

The Border Patrol is better, but I hate how they play the music under themselves speaking, and St. John sometimes takes so long to get to what he's trying to say I turn the channel. A little too much jacking off with kidding each other around.

I like Chris and Cowboy. They do their homework on stuff, they at least have a knowledge of the NBA and Cowboy can talk NBA, even though they rarely let him. I know this is a big KU town, but I don't see why we need Iowa State/K-State breakdowns when there'e good NBA stories. But they're entertaining, I think they're funny.

I don't listen to Petro, though I understand he's good. I listen to Jim Rome mostly because I like having my emails read over the air.

Neal Jones is either too limited in his knowledge, or he thinks having a one track mind is good radio. He'll stay on one topic for 4 hours. "Hey Kansas City! Do you like the Cassell trade, yes or no? Call me!" Then you get tard after tard calling in and saying the same things over and over.

KK sucks. He's the only guy with a bigger ego that Twibell. He has a self righteous attitude even though he shouldn't. He whines and complains all the time. He makes obvious observations and acts like he just discovered cold fusion. He'll never admit that he's wrong. Really, he sucks. His show actually sucks worse than Twibell's. And the Smoke n Fire? A total abortion on air.

I like Nick Wright. I'm politically 180 degrees from him, but I like his show. He does his homework and he has opinions that aren't faked for the air.

And other things: The live press conferences 610 airs with Mangino and Bill Self are awful. Unlistenable.

Mecca
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I used to love the DA show, what happened to that guy?

He frequently made fun of the Royals, as soon as they had the Royals contract he was fired.

blaise
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
DA is on WQAM in Miami at night now.

HC_Chief
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Only ones worth listening to IMO = Chris & Cowboy, Nick Wright, Soren Petro.

St John is funny and has a decent take from time to time.

Jerm
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Nick Wright lost me when he proclaimed Bob Gretz as the #1 unbiased source of Chiefs information in Kansas City...lol ok, whatever.

Mark M
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
What video are you talking about?

Short version: Several years ago, KK got pulled over with one of the 810 interns (a girl ;) ) riding shotgun and, when he got out of the car, his pants dropped around his ankles.

He didn't get a ticket, but there was a dash-cam video of the ordeal that magically disappeared (you can get them through FOI requests sometimes and, apparently, a few local folks [bloggers mainly] tried with no luck).

Not sure if its true, or an urban legend, but word has it KK managed to get the video suppressed -- or at least has managed to keep anyone from seeing it.

I just find it kinda funny and bring it up whenever KK is mentioned.

MM
~~:evil:

Mecca
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Nick Wright is really bad...he claimed we couldn't fire Herm cause we'd lose the young guys and the other day he was saying how dare the treat Brian Waters this way.

HC_Chief
03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Nick Wright is really bad...he claimed we couldn't fire Herm cause we'd lose the young guys and the other day he was saying how dare the treat Brian Waters this way.

Nick is tight with a few players. Keep that in mind when he starts talking about bruised egos.

Sam Hall
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
These' no reason to have Jim Rome in our market. I can watch TV if I want the national scene.

blaise
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
These' no reason to have Jim Rome in our market. I can watch TV if I want the national scene.

Really? I'm not saying you need to like Jim Rome, but why not national show? How many hours of backup KU point guard, or Chiefs talk do you need a day?

Lzen
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
And other things: The live press conferences 610 airs with Mangino and Bill Self are awful. Unlistenable.

I disagree. I guess you would say that being a non KU fan. :D

Lzen
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Really? I'm not saying you need to like Jim Rome, but why not national show? How many hours of backup KU point guard, or Chiefs talk do you need a day?

:evil:

Sam Hall
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM

The national stuff is all over the TV. That's a sign that 610 doesn't get it.

blaise
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
The national stuff is all over the TV. That's a sign that 610 doesn't get it.

Yeah but I don't watch that much TV, especially in my car or at work at my desk.

HC_Chief
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah but I don't watch that much TV, especially in my car or at work at my desk.

You need to get a Slingbox :D