PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Simmons talks with Mike Lombardi about quarterbacks and free agency

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
It's on the front page of ESPN.com under the Simmons header.

It's funny to listen to these guys talk about Cassel, Thigpen, other QBs, etc.

They talk about Cassel pretty quickly, they discuss Thigpen at about 33:30. There's even a Dick Curl jab by Lombardi in there.

I don't agree with their takes, but it's an interesting listen if you have 50 minutes of time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3946593

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Simmons likes the Chiefs at 100-1 as a SB long shot.
Lombardi says that Curry can rush the passer (which is why he's a former GM) and he likes the Rams as a long shot.

ncCHIEFfan
03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
What...? SB! When?

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I could maybe buy the Chiefs as a SB longshot if they get a WR and some serious OL help, but the Rams? Hahaha wtf?

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I could maybe buy the Chiefs as a SB longshot if they get a WR and some serious OL help, but the Rams? Hahaha wtf?

The Rams are a hell of a lot closer to a SB right now than we are.

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
The Rams are a hell of a lot closer to a SB right now than we are.

I don't see it.

An over-30, injury-prone QB whose QB rating hasn't made it out of the low 70s in 2 years, crappy WRs (even if Holt is back next season, he's old)... they do have a good O-Line that's going to get better with whoever they draft, but I doubt they'll win anything with Bulger at QB. You can't win with no offense anymore. Tennessee came as close as you can last season, and that was with a dominant D.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't see it.

Of course you don't.

They're only in better shape at every position except LT, WR1, TE and CB.

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Of course you don't.

and QB. Those are pretty important positions. Are they also better at ballboy, long-snapper, and strength trainer?

Bill Lundberg
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Of course you don't.

It's like arguing over which turd smells less... For the record we're better at LG as well.

Skyy God
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Of course you don't.

Really, Bulger's a better QB than Cassel?

The only thing Alex "False Start" Barron has over our RTs is his 1st round draft status.

I could go on.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
and QB. Those are pretty important positions.

When Matt Cassel actually DOES something in this league, you can compare him to Bulger.

Bulger's a 2X Pro Bowler, and a MVP of the game. 20K passing yards. 30 more TD's than INT's. A career 85.6 QB rating. 3 of 6 seasons over 3800 yards.

Hell, even if I GIVE you Cassel, which is ridiculous, that's still only 5 positions out of 22.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
It's like arguing over which turd smells less... For the record we're better at LG as well.

Sorry, but at worst, it's a wash.

Jacob Bell played much better than Waters did (here come the Pro Bowl popularity contest comments) last year, and is in his prime. Waters is declining.

Skyy God
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
When Matt Cassel actually DOES something in this league, you can compare him to Bulger.

Bulger's a 2X Pro Bowler, and a MVP of the game. 20K passing yards. 30 more TD's than INT's. A career 85.6 QB rating. 3 of 6 seasons over 3800 yards.

Hell, even if I GIVE you Cassel, which is ridiculous, that's still only 5 positions out of 22.

Too bad Bulger's resume is better than the actual Bulger.

DaneMcCloud
and QB. Those are pretty important positions. Are they also better at ballboy, long-snapper, and strength trainer?

Um, you DO realize that they have the number two overall pick and will be most likely be choosing a top-tier LT?

AND, they're picking second or third in every round this upcoming draft?

I can only WISH that the Chiefs had only four holes to fill on their starting roster...

OnTheWarpath15
Really, Bulger's a better QB than Cassel?

The only thing Alex "False Start" Barron has over our RTs is his 1st round draft status.

I could go on.

Please, do. I'd love to know all these positions people think we're in better shape than STL at.

If you think Damion McIntosh is a better RT than Alex Barron, you should have your head examined.

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Bulger hasn't done shit in two years. I don't care what he did 3 years ago; it's obviously not relevant to this discussion. First of all, it's not just 5 positions. Second of all, the positions where KC does have an advantage are mainly the most important ones, which are most important in building a winning team. Third, I'll grant that the Rams are about to take an elite LT- that's great, that fills one of their holes. With the #3 pick, is it then safe to figure that the Chiefs will fill one of theirs? This isn't the Carl Peterson era anymore, you don't have to assume that everyone you draft will suck.

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Um, you DO realize that they have the number two overall pick and will be most likely be choosing a top-tier LT?

AND, they're picking second or third in every round this upcoming draft?

I can only WISH that the Chiefs had only four holes to fill on their starting roster...

Nobody said that the Rams only have four hills to fill. Nobody has only four holes to fill. Hell, I'd argue that even the Patriots have 7 holes in their starting lineup that would be ideal to fill (safety, CB2, WR3 in base offense, RT, RG, OLB, and another OLB or ILB depending on if Thomas moves).

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Bulger hasn't done shit in two years. I don't care what he did 3 years ago; it's obviously not relevant to this discussion. First of all, it's not just 5 positions. Second of all, the positions where KC does have an advantage are mainly the most important ones, which are most important in building a winning team. Third, I'll grant that the Rams are about to take an elite LT- that's great, that fills one of their holes. With the #3 pick, is it then safe to figure that the Chiefs will fill one of theirs? This isn't the Carl Peterson era anymore, you don't have to assume that everyone you draft will suck.

Please then. Elaborate on what positions you feel the Chiefs are in better shape at than the Rams.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
The Rams are going to have a badass left side of the line after the draft and FA.

Say Pace doesn't play a snap or is cut:

#1 LT, Bell, Brown all next to one another. Add that to Donnie Avery and Steven Jackson on O, plus a pretty decent chance that a guy like Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt is available at #35, and you've got a solid core if you can keep Bulger upright.

On defense they have Chris Long (who whipped Jake's ass last year), Carriker, Will Witherspoon, and OJ Atogwe (probably the most underrated safety in the league).

That team isn't that far away.

BradyFTW!
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Please then. Elaborate on what positions you feel the Chiefs are in better shape at than the Rams.

QB
WR1
LT
LG
TE
DT
ILB

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
ILB

http://www.delgenio.com/thestud/roflcopter.gif

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
QB
WR1
LT
LG
TE
DT
ILB

Uh........some....................one.................call..............9.............1..........
.....................uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Skyy God
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of somehow finagling a low 2nd (possibly by packaging a 3rd or Waters and a lower pick) and trying to sign Lance Moore to an unmatchable contract. Double down on 2008 breakout players.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
QB
WR1
LT
LG
TE
DT
ILB

Oh.

My.

God.

I've already said my piece about Bell > or = Waters.

DT?

You think Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler are a better combination than Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan? Having an aging La'roi Glover as depth is really shitty too...

ILB?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Rocky Boiman isn't better than any MLB in the league, much less Will Witherspoon. Hell, you could put DJ at MLB, and he's not better than Witherspoon.

My guess is that you've seen about oh, ZERO Rams games, and are spouting off about something you know nothing about.

That, or you know nothing about football period, which by reading your posts, seems like a good bet as well.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.delgenio.com/thestud/roflcopter.gif

ROFL

BryanBusby
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
The Rams going 2-14 for a 2nd year in a row wasn't a mistake, nor directly due to coaching. They really do suck that bad. Trying to figure out if they or the Chiefs are better is a moot point. They both are awful, the end.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
The Rams going 2-14 for a 2nd year in a row wasn't a mistake, nor directly due to coaching. They really do suck that bad. Trying to figure out if they or the Chiefs are better is a moot point. They both are awful, the end.

Sorry, Bryan but I disagree.

The Rams have been the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL since DV left. Yes, even more dysfunctional than the Lions.

They have a LOT of talent on that team, and I'm betting Spagnuolo gets that talent out of them - something Linehan and Haslett couldn't do.

Add in Billy Devaney, and they are going to continue to stockpile good young talent.

BryanBusby
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry, Bryan but I disagree.

The Rams have been the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL since DV left. Yes, even more dysfunctional than the Lions.

They have a LOT of talent on that team, and I'm betting Spagnuolo gets that talent out of them - something Linehan and Haslett couldn't do.

Add in Billy Devaney, and they are going to continue to stockpile good young talent.

Where? I'd like to know. They are just as lacking in talent and that is clear as day when you see they are still throwing out guys from the Super Bowl run as starts, even though they are clearly done. Avery is so promising he couldn't even beat out Dante Hall on the depth chart.

The Rams have a couple of quality players mixed in with players ready for the retirement home and a 60 million dollar mistake at QB.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Where? I'd like to know. They are just as lacking in talent and that is clear as day when you see they are still throwing out guys from the Super Bowl run as starts, even though they are clearly done. Avery is so promising he couldn't even beat out Dante Hall on the depth chart.

The Rams have a couple of quality players mixed in with players ready for the retirement home and a 60 million dollar mistake at QB.

A couple?

Please tell me you're kidding.

Feel free to tell us where KC is better off than STL.

And I'm going to have a hard time taking anything you say seriously, considering Avery was their #2 all year long. Started 12 games, and the games he didn't "start" was because of the formation they used on the opening play of the game.

Mistake #1: Trusting the NFL.com depth chart. Proves you never saw them play.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Marc Bulger has been brutal the last couple of years and they won't sniff anything without an improvement in QB play. They may be better in alot of individual positions, but it isn't by much in a talent level difference. That team has been equally as sad as our Chiefs the last couple of years.

Skyy God
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
LOL at Lombardi picking the Rams as a sleeper team because of the dome crowd noise. The Jones Dome is where crowd noise goes to die.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
LOL at Lombardi picking the Rams as a sleeper team because of the dome crowd noise. The Jones Dome is where crowd noise goes to die.

The place is a shithole, I'll give you that.

But let's not act like Arrowhead hasn't been a goddamn mortuary over the past 2 years.

BryanBusby
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
A couple?

Please tell me you're kidding.

Feel free to tell us where KC is better off than STL.

And I'm going to have a hard time taking anything you say seriously, considering Avery was their #2 all year long. Started 12 games, and the games he didn't "start" was because of the formation they used on the opening play of the game.

Mistake #1: Trusting the NFL.com depth chart. Proves you never saw them play.

You obviously never watched them play yourself as you claim they have "a LOT" of talent on the team. The talent alone would of got them more than 2 wins. Hell, I'm not even sure if I would count one of those wins since it was against a Brad Johnson lead team.

Skyy God
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Personally, I tend to dismiss any fanbase that lets 10K Chiefs fans force the home team into a silent count, ala the Rams in 2006.

As for Arrowhead being a mortuary, let's see how the fans respond when there isn't a known inept coach/GM combo in place.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
You obviously never watched them play yourself as you claim they have "a LOT" of talent on the team. The talent alone would of got them more than 2 wins. Hell, I'm not even sure if I would count one of those wins since it was against a Brad Johnson lead team.

You fucking idiot.

He has inside contacts with the organization. I think he knows a little more about the situation than us, even if the lazy sonofabitch should be paying attention in class instead of posting on ChiefsPlanet.

DeezNutz
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
You ****ing idiot.

He has inside contacts with the organization. I think he knows a little more about the situation than us, even if the lazy sonofabitch should be paying attention in class instead of posting on ChiefsPlanet.

ROFL

Put your fucking Blackberries away. For the last time, fuck!

jAZ
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
It's on the front page of ESPN.com under the Simmons header.

It's funny to listen to these guys talk about Cassel, Thigpen, other QBs, etc.

They talk about Cassel pretty quickly, they discuss Thigpen at about 33:30. There's even a Dick Curl jab by Lombardi in there.

I don't agree with their takes, but it's an interesting listen if you have 50 minutes of time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3946593

He just said he wouldn't be suprised if Vrabel doesn't make our roster this year.

OnTheWarpath15
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
You fucking idiot.

I wasn't in class until 7:00 tonight, and you'll see I have not posted since about 6:30.

Unless you're talking about the ONE time I was posting from my International Relations class...

:D

DaWolf
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Hell, any old QB could put up those numbers with Holt, Bruce, and Jackson... :)