PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Cassel ready to compete for starting job with Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Cassel ready to compete for starting job with Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1063820.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Quarterback Matt Cassel waited a long time — five years in college at Southern California and four more with New England — to find a football team to call his own.

So a delay of another six months or so for the official designation doesn’t figure to bother him.

The Chiefs traded their second-round pick in the upcoming draft to the Patriots for Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel on Saturday. The Chiefs are unlikely to hand over a premium selection and then pay a salary of $14.65 million for a backup quarterback, but coach Todd Haley said Cassel will compete for the starter’s job with Tyler Thigpen.

“I don’t know that you can say the quarterback position is secure,” Haley said Monday in his first public statement since the trade was made. “I think we’ve got another guy to come in and compete for the starting quarterback position.

“I just got off the phone with Tyler. I told him I’m a very selfish coach. I think that’s evident by Arizona and what we did there. We’re going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.”

For his part, Cassel didn’t seem to mind. Despite his designation as New England’s franchise player and his lucrative new contract, he wasn’t going to get the chance to compete with the Patriots as long as Tom Brady is around.

Which is why Cassel found himself rooting for a trade as soon as he signed his new contract.

“I was resolved to the fact I was going to get traded somewhere,” Cassel said Monday. “I knew there probably would be some kind of talks and transactions that would take place. I didn’t know when.”

The Chiefs became a favored landing spot when they hired general manager Scott Pioli away from New England in January. Sure, the Chiefs were 2-14 last season, with plenty of work to do before they are again competitive.

But they also are in need of stability at quarterback. Thigpen provided some last year, when he threw 18 touchdown passes, but the Chiefs also won just one of the 11 games he started.

A reunion with Pioli was also a factor for Cassel.

“I have a great relationship with Scott Pioli,” Cassel said. “He was one of my biggest supporters throughout the year. He was always very encouraging and anytime I needed some advice, I’d usually go to him as one of the guys who was always willing to open his office door.

“I was hoping there was some interest (from the Chiefs) and obviously there was.”

Cassel started 15 games for the Patriots last season, but only after the Chiefs knocked Brady out of the season opener with a knee injury. The Patriots wound up winning 10 of those games, with Cassel throwing for 21 touchdowns and almost 3,700 yards.

Cassel will presumably get the first shot at the starter’s job. He will be more familiar with the offensive system than Thigpen. New England runs a similar system to the one employed last year by Haley with the Cardinals.

But Haley gave a stronger endorsement to Thigpen than he did Cassel.

“I haven’t spent a lot of time with him,” Haley said of Thigpen. “I just had a brief phone conversation with him. But he’s got a lot of moxie.

“He’s an intriguing guy that presents some problems for the defense when you’ve got a guy that athletic and can run around and carry the football like he did.”

Haley spent time last year watching Cassel on video. Not only did the Cardinals play the Patriots last season, but the teams shared several common opponents, so Cassel kept popping up on the screen when Haley went to study for an upcoming game.

“Matt’s a young player in the league with a good year under his belt starting,” Haley said. “He was able to win 11 games last year. He’s the type of guy we’d like to have on the Kansas City Chiefs as we go forward. We’re trying to accumulate as many good players as we can.

“He’s coming from a very good system and a place where they’ve done a good job of winning games in the NFL. Anytime you can get a player that’s been around winning, I think that’s a good thing.”

Chiefs add assistant

KcMizzou
03-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I figure Cassel will start, and Haley will find ways to get Thigpen in the mix a bit. Gimmick plays, etc.

tk13
03-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Cassel will ride the bench once we sign Kurt Warner. Because that's what all Parcells freaks do! Woo!

DeezNutz
03-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I figure Cassel will start, and Haley will find ways to get Thigpen in the mix a bit. Gimmick plays, etc.

Like that one gimmick play where Thigpen fetches Gatorade for Cassel so that he stays hydrated during a TV timeout.

doomy3
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Cassel will ride the bench once we sign Kurt Warner. Because that's what all Parcells freaks do! Woo!

ROFL

Shaid
03-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Maybe he's trying to lure the Lions into giving us their 2nd round pick for Thigpen. :D

Reerun_KC
03-03-2009, 12:17 AM
I am sure Cassel is real worried about competing... ROFL

The first time he lines up under center, reads a defense and makes a routine throw, it will be over.

smittysbar
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Maybe he's trying to lure the Lions into giving us their 2nd round pick for Thigpen. :D

I think you mean 7th

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 01:32 AM
But Philfree told me this was bullshit and that Haley and Cassel already had a conversation. Cassel's the starter.

LMAO

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 01:38 AM
No one should be guaranteed a starting job on a team until training camp when they didn't play there the year before.

I mean, in a lot of team's cases, its totally over before it begins, but considering he's never played a snap for us, he should have to compete for the job, even if its over in one throw.

Mecca
03-03-2009, 02:24 AM
They can tell the media whatever they want but if Cassell isn't under center after trading a 2nd round pick it makes them all look dumb.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 02:26 AM
They can tell the media whatever they want but if Cassell isn't under center after trading a 2nd round pick it makes them all look dumb.

Exactly. Its to keep from pissing off other players, and it keeps the media at bay.

Mecca
03-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Pissing off other players like who Tyler Thigpen?

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 02:51 AM

Possibly. Other players have opinions on stuff like that too. Its important to not come in and just start estranging people like Mangini.

Besides, if by some miracle, Thigpen ended up being better than Cassel at the end of camp, wouldn't you want him to be the starter?

Pioli Zombie
03-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Teicher. Tomorrow he is going to break the story that now the Cassel has been traded, word out of New England is that Tom Brady has the inside track at the starting QB job
Posted via Mobile Device

rad
03-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Does it matter? Just because he kinda sucks doesn't make him any less a member of the team. I agree with a lot of you views but sometimes you just say retarded shit.

Mecca
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Does it matter? Just because he kinda sucks doesn't make him any less a member of the team. I agree with a lot of you views but sometimes you just say retarded shit.

Well everyone knows he's starting I don't think the players are that stupid.

kepp
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Like that one gimmick play where Thigpen fetches Gatorade for Cassel so that he stays hydrated during a TV timeout.

That just might work!

rad
03-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Well everyone knows he's starting I don't think the players are that stupid.

So that means the coach should announce he's handing the starting job to a dude who wasn't here last year and has only a few games more starting experience? You know about coachspeak man, don't be a dullard.

rad
03-03-2009, 08:06 AM
That just might work!

Cassel: "Hey Thig, we're behind.....run to my locker and grab my lucky jockstrap. You cant miss it.......it's yellow and stinks 'cuz I haven't washed it since 2001. Have Waters go with you to help carry it....

"Bob" Dobbs
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1063820.html)
“I have a great relationship with Scott Pioli,” Cassel said. “He was one of my biggest supporters throughout the year. He was always very encouraging and anytime I needed some advice, I’d usually go to him as one of the guys who was always willing to open his office door.

Shhhh. Don't anybody tell Brian Waters.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
A QB competition? How cute.

ROFL

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I am sure Cassel is real worried about competing... ROFL

The first time he lines up under center, reads a defense and makes a routine throw, it will be over.

This.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 09:46 AM

You are correct. However, if Thigpen outplays and outperforms Cassel so much that it can't be denied..... then it would make them even more dumb not to start him.

Not saying it WILL happen, just what would be the case if it did.

Only giving up a second allows them to go with whoever they want, especially after this year.

If they had spent the #3 pick on Sanchez, then they would have been committed to him much longer because it was the #3 overall pick.

Heck, right now, they can justify that they got two players with the #34 pick.

Cassel has all the cards stacked in his favor, but that doesn't mean that Thigpen can't beat him out if he improves greatly.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Todd Haley said Cassel will compete for the starter’s job with Tyler Thigpen.

“I don’t know that you can say the quarterback position is secure,” Haley said Monday in his first public statement since the trade was made. “I think we’ve got another guy to come in and compete for the starting quarterback position.

My God; it's the most prolific endorsement since Nike signed Micheal Jordan!

StcChief
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
with clipboard and headset in hand.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
You are correct. However, if Thigpen outplays and outperforms Cassel so much that it can't be denied..... then it would make them even more dumb not to start him.

Only giving up a second allows them to go with whoever they want, especially after this year.

If they had spent the #3 pick on Sanchez, then they would have been committed to him much longer because it was the #3 overall pick.

Cassel has all the cards stacked in his favor, but that doesn't mean that Thigpen can't beat him out if he improves greatly.

It's not GOING to happen, so why even pontificate about such a thing?

Just Passin' By
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

This past preseason, Cassel performed so poorly in the eyes of the fan base that the vast majority wanted him cut, nevermind just demoted. Despite this, Cassel remained as the team's #2 QB, and the rest is history.

Unless Cassel is injured between now and week one, Thigpen has a better chance of starting in Denver than in Kansas City.