PDA

View Full Version : Football Herm Edwards eager to jump from sideline to ESPN

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2009-03-03-edwards-espn_N.htm?csp=34

The question for anybody going straight from competing in a sport to analyzing it on TV: Can you be candid about all those old friends and foes?
And if you've coached: Will you see TV as just a pit stop until you can get back on the sidelines?

Herm Edwards, fired weeks ago as the Kansas City Chiefs' coach, makes his ESPN debut Wednesday on NFL Live. He says he'll be "critical" but not "condescending." He won't rule out returning to coaching but sounds resigned to having no chance of future Gatorade baths: "I'm really going to put my heart and soul into this. If this can take me for the rest of my life in football, I'm OK with that."

After playing 10 NFL seasons, Edwards went 54-74 as a head coach of the New York Jets for five seasons and then three with Kansas City — including coaching the Chiefs to a 2-14 record last season. He's direct on whether his Chiefs quarterback, Tyler Thigpen, will have a chance to keep that position now that the Chiefs got Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots: "They didn't get Cassel to be the backup."

Edwards, who'll show what he can do by regularly appearing on NFLLive, SportsCenter and ESPNews before ESPN's regular-season assignments are finalized, says he got feelers from other networks. But ESPN allowed him to feel "at home" and carry on his larger purpose: "We're all in this, at the end of the day, to promote the game of football."

ESPN producer Seth Markman says that, after Edwards did some ESPN cameos last season, "We knew right away" that Edwards would be a good recruit. And Edwards suggests wearing TV makeup at work doesn't mean he expects to get by with a wink and a smile: "Even in this job, you still have to work at it. Those are your words."

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Wish he would have gotten his calling 3 or 4 years ago.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I hope he fails just like he failed as a football coach...

Other than Marty, Herm is #2 on my list of loser coaches.... Thanks for wrecking our franchise, loser....

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Other than Marty, Herm is #2 on my list of loser coaches.... Thanks for wrecking our franchise, loser....

King Carl is the one who hired him. I put the blame completely on Carl.

milkman
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM

I hated just about every Chiefs coach from Paul Wiggins to Herman fucking Edwards, but none of them, not Marty, not Frank Ganz, sucked more than Herman fucking Edwards.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

But Herm still failed and failed hard, His whole HC tenure is nothing short of EPIC Fail....

Tell me one fanbase that would be thrilled to have Herm as their HC?

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
But Herm still failed and failed hard, His whole HC tenure is nothing short of EPIC Fail....

Tell me one fanbase that would be thrilled to have Herm as their HC?

ESPN

The Bad Guy
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
It's hilarious how much of a loser attitude this guy has.

If you are a coach, it burns inside of you every day you are away from it. How could he be "OK" with just being a talking media head?

Thank the fucking lord we are rid of this loser.

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
BTW, I mainly posted this because he debuts on NFL Live today. I'm sure he'll have some stupid shit to say about us.

"They didn't have to trade for a QB, I found Thigpen for them. They're only 3 or 4 players away, and now they're messing up the plan."

Red Beans
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I for one wish Herm the best. It's not like he planned to suck that hard, he just did.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
ESPN

I guess he will fit in with all the Eastern sports propoganda network, or the Eastern sports poker network will just love him then...

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh, and for those interested, tonight is supposed to be "State of the Franchise" for the Chiefs tonight on NFL Network's Total Access.

Maybe they'll tell us how much we improved the roster by trading for Cassel.

acasas4
03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I won't watch ESPN if I know Herm's going to be on.
I hate Herm for what he did to the Chiefs but reading this I started having random thoughts about the Pats and Jets.
We all know the story. In 2000 Bill Belichick was supposed to take the Jets head coaching job when Parcells stepped down. Instead he goes to NE and the Jets get Al Groh for the 2000 season and then Herm from 2001-2005. In the meantime they watch Belichick win 3 superbowls with NE while they're stuck with Herm! OMG. :hump: Talk about getting butt fucked. LMAO

JuicesFlowing
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM

True, but Dick Vermeil campaigned for him ... DV had some say in it I think.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Oh, and for those interested, tonight is supposed to be "State of the Franchise" for the Chiefs tonight on NFL Network's Total Access.

Maybe they'll tell us how much we improved the roster by trading for Cassel.

I am ready to see Cassel turn DBowe into Moss and TG into Welker... Will be nice to see Cassel elevate everyones games around him... TG better step up and realize whom he is playing with...

JuicesFlowing
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
I am ready to see Cassel turn DBowe into Moss and TG into Welker... Will be nice to see Cassel elevate everyones games around him... TG better step up and realize whom he is playing with...

Does he have to "step up?" He had a monster year with Thigpen. I think he can relax and have better numbers this year :p

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
True, but Dick Vermeil campaigned for him ... DV had some say in it I think.

I watched Matt Millen eat crow on national TV taking ALL the blame for Detroits woes.

Think we will ever see King Carl do that even for just the last 10 years of his tenure?

kcbubb
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
obviously Herm made a lot of mistakes, but at least he had the courage to get rid of most the vets and start with some younger players. the chiefs have a great cap position because of Herm and many young talented players. If Herm would have asked Carl to sign some free agents, we probably could have gotten a few more wins and he might still be coaching. He did what was best for the team and organization by rebuilding instead of patching. He obviously made a lot of mistakes but that is at least one good thing that he did.

JuicesFlowing
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I watched Matt Millen eat crow on national TV taking ALL the blame for Detroits woes.

Think we will ever see King Carl do that even for just the last 10 years of his tenure?

Um ... never. Pioli has done more in 4 weeks than Carl did in the last 10 years ... I can't believe "the reign" is finally over.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't care what he does, as long as it doesn't involve my team.

ChiefRon
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
obviously Herm made a lot of mistakes, but at least he had the courage to get rid of most the vets and start with some younger players. the chiefs have a great cap position because of Herm and many young talented players.

I used to think this, but really, out of his draft classes, how many talented players do we have?

Herm set this franchise back even further than it was before he got here.

JuicesFlowing
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I used to think this, but really, out of his draft classes, how many talented players do we have?

Herm set this franchise back even further than it was before he got here.

True. Defensively, Flowers and Carr look good, but that's about it.

Redrum_69
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
uh,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

Lex Luthors
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM

How can you possibly compare Herm Edwards to Marty Schottenheimer?

I can understand it if you don't like Schottenheimer, but get real.

Lex Luthors
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I hated just about every Chiefs coach from Paul Wiggins to Herman ****ing Edwards, but none of them, not Marty, not Frank Ganz, sucked more than Herman ****ing Edwards.
Frank Ganzz was pretty darn close.

DaWolf
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I for one certainly hope Herm gets hired by another NFL team. Especially another AFC West team...

milkman
03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Frank Ganzz was pretty darn close.

No question.

But I hated Herman fucking Edwards from the very start.

Ganz, as a newly hired HC, was an unknown.

CoMoChief
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Uhhh, Marty put this team back on the map from what I can remember. This team was almost always in the playoffs under him. Yeah he sucked in the playoffs, but you got to get there first.

I would gladly take Marty over any coach we've had since he left.

Otter
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
If that clown gets another head coaching job I will be utterly amazed in so many ways.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope he DOES get another head-coaching job. I want to play him.

MahiMike
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
You Play to WIN the microphone!

EM31
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Jets fans feel your pain. Four years later and my personal disgust for this man has not abated one bit.

Donger
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
This is a joke, right?

chiefs1111
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Herm Edwards name should never be mentioned here ever again

MTG#10
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Its so nice to see a quote from Herm referring to the Chiefs as "they".

KC_Clipse
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
If he dicks up as much on t.v. as he did making coaching decisions ESPN will want him gone faster than chiefs fans did.

HemiEd
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

I don't understand how anyone has Marty hatred. The guy resurrected the franchise from a shit storm. Of course, you were too young at the time, but it was about 18 years, like the last two. I think there should be a statue of him outside of Arrowhead, myself.

Now Herm can drown in his own blood as far as I am concerned.

milkman
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
If he dicks up as much on t.v. as he did making coaching decisions ESPN will want him gone faster than chiefs fans did.

People are going to love Herman fucking Edwards on T.V.

He's a dumbass, but he says stupid shit so well that most people don't notice it's stupid shit.

milkman
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't understand how anyone has Marty hatred. The guy resurrected the franchise from a shit storm. Of course, you were too young at the time, but it was about 18 years, like the last two. I think there should be a statue of him outside of Arrowhead, myself.

Now Herm can drown in his own blood as far as I am concerned.

I'm old enough to remember all the crap we went through before Marty, and I still can't stand that fucker.

KC_Clipse
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
People are going to love Herman ****ing Edwards on T.V.

He's a dumbass, but he says stupid shit so well that most people don't notice it's stupid shit.

See: John Madden :D

milkman
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
See: John Madden :D

I hate that useless bastard too.

KC_Clipse
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I hate that useless bastard too.

yep everytime i listen to that guy talk about how he loves the grass in the helmet, or how the qb can pass the ball or how he can run the ball, or he how he can run to run to find time to pass the ball, i can literally feel myself getting dumber.

FringeNC
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
He can't be any worse than Emmitt Smith.

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Herm Edwards name should never be mentioned here ever again

Do we drop him in the same catagory as the "KICKER Who Shall Never be Mentioned by Name"?

Incompetance at its finest.

bkkcoh
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
What other options did he have?

88TG88
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
He can't be any worse than Emmitt Smiff.

FYP

I hope he doesn't do games.

milkman
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Do we drop him in the same catagory as the "KICKER Who Shall Never be Mentioned by Name"?

Incompetance at its finest.

You mean Linn Elliot, don't you?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Wish he would have gotten his calling 3 or 4 years ago.

This.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Herm is a natural for this line of work. I can't stand him as a coach, but every time I watch 'Hard Knocks' he cracks my ass up!
And Marty didn't suck; what the fuck is wrong with you today? He wasn't a "premuim" coach by any means, but he's the only guy who did ANYTHING in a post-Ganzse world.

With all due respect:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/PLEASE.png

Chiefnj2
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I'd pay to watch a broadcast of Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Herm Edwards calling a game.

KcFanInGA
03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I saw Herm on NFL network yesterday. I can predict his first statement about the Chiefs though. They management in place now has to make and answer for those decisions. I really cant say. Tell me he wont puss out. Herm showed no balls here, and they wont suddenly grow because hes on espn. But shit can that man smile in the worst of times. He practiced a lot here.

HemiEd
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm old enough to remember all the crap we went through before Marty, and I still can't stand that ****er.

Well he did finish up on a pretty sour note. But I would have gladly brought him back a couple months ago, if it meant Herm fucking Edwards was a goner.
That was the three darkest years in my 40 years of fandom, just fucking miserable. I am an optimest for the most part, but it got impossible to not be negative.