PDA

View Full Version : Football Edgerrin James asking for release (again!)

Goapics1
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
What do you think?

ESPN.com: NFL

Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Source: James wants release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Arizona Cardinals halfback Edgerrin James contacted Cardinals general manager Rod Graves on Tuesday and pleaded with him to be released, according to a source.

James, who was benched in the middle of last season, is entering the final year of his contract and is scheduled to make $5 million. He had lost his job to Tim Hightower, so he figured he would be released by the first of March.

James' concern, the source said, is that he's entering the free agent market too late, with a number of potential options already closed. Derrick Ward took away a chance to go to Tampa Bay when he signed a four-year, $17 million contract. Cedric Benson re-signed in Cincinnati on Tuesday with a two-year, $7 million deal. Fred Taylor took away an option in New England when he signed a two-year, $5 million deal.

James figures he's not going to be with the team this season because he figures Hightower will be the starter and the Cardinals wouldn't want a $5 million backup. But as of Tuesday night, James remains part of the Cardinals.

James has rushed for 12,121 yards during his NFL career, including 1,159 and 1,222 yards during his first two seasons with the Cardinals. Last year, he had only 514 yards on 133 carries.

He is 30 years old and is entering his 11th season.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3950351

Buck
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Which teams would be in play?

Might the Colts want him back?

tomahawk kid
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd take him on this team over LJ.

lazepoo
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I can't blame him. The situation sucks for him, and as a competitor I would want to play as well, not ride the bench as a situational guy. While he's under contract, he didn't sign to be the third string guy a few years ago, and I can't believe that they held onto him at the money he's being paid. If they're going to release him anyway, it's a dick move to hold onto him for a while instead of just cutting him loose now. Plus, if I read the story correctly, it looks like they had to pay him a roster bonus or something on the 1st, so it's a bad move for them financially as well. True, their run game still sucked with him in, but if he still can play, he should have a shot to go somewhere. I still can't believe that Indy let him go when they did... they could have paid him and spent early picks on D, but instead they're looking for a new RB now since Addai's been decent but not spectacular and injured to boot.

That was more than I intended to write about someone that I don't really care about or have some sort of investment in.

nychief
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd take him on this team over LJ.

that's absurd, from a football stand point....

Mile High Mania
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I think they should release him... he'd be a fine addition in Denver.

Ceej
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Too bad. You guys just signed Lamont freakin' Jordan.

Laugh.

Buck
Lamont Jordan + Correll Buckhalter FTW?

Rooster
I think they should release him... he'd be a fine addition in Denver.

You could trade Cutler for him. :D

unothadeal
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Arizona will be shit for another 68 years.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Can he sit behind some young guys and show them some moves?

tomahawk kid
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
that's absurd, from a football stand point....

Why?