PDA

View Full Version : Life The Smith and Wesson M&P 40

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone else own one of these bad boys?

I picked one up not having shot it before. I have been told it is like shooting a Glock and I LOVE the Glock. I have actually started to fall in love with the 40 after a long love affair with the 9mm. Anyway opinions, comments concerns jokes?

http://www.shootingtips.com/NewFiles/article/S&W%20New%20M&P/S&W-M&P40-CP.jpg

jiveturkey
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I have the M&P 9mm and love it. I test shot a couple of others (Glock, Springfield) and the M&P was far and away my fav. I like the looks of it as well.

beavis
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I have the M&P 9mm and love it. I test shot a couple of others (Glock, Springfield) and the M&P was far and away my fav. I like the looks of it as well.

Same here. It's a great gun to own.

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Nice. Yeah I love the feel of it in my hand...I think the trigger squeeze is comparable to the glock.....not to sure about the placement of the mag release, my thumb seems to hug it pretty close with my grip....you have the mage safe too? I have heard they sell some without the mag safe

tmax63
03-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I have a S&W Sigma in a 40cal. I enjoy it and it's the one hanging on the bedpost in case need arises. Momma can even rack the slide and shoot it although for fun she prefers her 380. Easy to reload for as I make my own plinking rounds.

Brock
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Did they get the kaboom problem fixed?

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Did they get the kaboom problem fixed?

???

Bwana
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I never have shot one, but have a buddy that owns one and he loves it. You should enjoy it!

I found my next gun today. A smith and Wesson 329PD .44 Mag ultra-light. It only weights 25 ounce's, scandium alloy frame, with a titanium cylinder and HiViz sights. Slap a lazermax and some upgrade grips on the bad boy and I'm set for bear country.

Brock
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
???

Supposedly that round is more prone to case failure with explosive results.

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Interesting, I had not heard about that. I know that CDOC issues the Glock 22 as a standard issue firearm and Colorado State Patrol issues the S&W M&P 40 as their standard issue firearm...I would imagine that it is resolved if Govt agencies are issuing them but :shrug:

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM

I've never heard that ???? The 40 is an excellent round. More penetration than a .45 and much more damage than a 9mm, If I was in law enforcement I think I'd carry a .40

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I never have shot one, but have a buddy that owns one and he loves it. You should enjoy it!

I found my next gun today. A smith and Wesson 329PD .44 Mag ultra-light. It only weights 25 ounce's, scandium alloy frame, with a titanium cylinder and HiViz sights. Slap a lazermax and some upgrade grips on the bad boy and I'm set for bear country.

LMAO HAND CANNON!

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
What did it cost DC ???

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
What did it cost DC ???

$450 came with the 3 different backstraps, and 3 high cap mags (13 rds IIRC)

Brock
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Interesting, I had not heard about that. I know that CDOC issues the Glock 22 as a standard issue firearm and Colorado State Patrol issues the S&W M&P 40 as their standard issue firearm...I would imagine that it is resolved if Govt agencies are issuing them but :shrug:

The .40 S&W has been noted in a number of cartridge case failures, particularly in Glock pistols due to the relatively large area of unsupported case head in those barrels, given its high working pressure[14]. The feed ramp on the Glock .40 S&W pistols are larger than normal, which leaves the rear bottom of the case unsupported, and it is in this unsupported area that the cases fail. Most, but not all, of the failures have occurred with reloaded or remanufactured ammunition. Cartridges loaded at or above the SAAMI pressure, or slightly oversized cases which fire slightly out of battery are often considered to be the cause of these failures. These failures are referred to by many as "kaBooms" or "kB!" for short. While these case failures do not often injure the person holding the pistol, the venting of high pressure gas tends to eject the magazine out of the magazine well in a spectacular fashion, and usually destroys the pistol. In some cases, the barrel will also fail, blowing the top of the chamber off.

Beretta 96 Extractor NotchWhile the .40 S&W is far from the only cartridge to suffer from case failures, it is more susceptible for a number of reasons. The .40 S&W works at fairly high pressures (33,000 psi/230 MPa typical, but 35,000 psi/240 MPa SAAMI max) for a large caliber handgun cartridge, significantly more than, say, the .45 ACP.[15] Since the .40 S&W is a wide cartridge for its length, and is often adapted to frames designed for the equally long but narrower 9x19mm cartridge, the length of the feed ramp must be longer to provide the same angle, which causes the feed ramp to extend into the chamber. This in turn leaves more of the case head unsupported. While this is not necessarily unsafe, it does reduce the margin of safety. When exacerbated by out of battery firing (leaving even more case head exposed) and potentially weakened brass (due to reloading) these factors appear to lead to the higher incidents of chamber failure. The number of case failures in the .40 S&W is serious enough that Accurate Arms no longer recommends reloading of .40 S&W cartridges for firearms without complete case head support.[16]

That's from the wikipedia page. shrug

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
LMAO HAND CANNON!

Heh, it can't be more abusive than my .454 with corbon rounds. It will kick like a mule on crack though. That's why I need to lose the wood grips right out of the gate. It will be sweet for packing around the mountains though, a lot nicer then the .454, or even my Glock 20.

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
That's from the wikipedia page. shrug

interesting....well I don't suppose I'll be reloading them anytime soon then

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Heh, it can't be more abusive than my .454 with corbon rounds. It will kick like a mule on crack though. That's why I need to lose the wood grips right out of the gate. It will be sweet for packing around the mountains though, a lot nicer then the .454, or even my Glock 20.

how you like that 10mm? I have thought about owning one, can't use it for duty but sounds like it might be fun to own

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Good find Brock, I sure didn't know that . My .40 is a Ruger, never had any problems. But I carry my .45 Kimber with me daily.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Bwana, how many bears have you shot?

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
how you like that 10mm? I have thought about owning one, can't use it for duty but sounds like it might be fun to own

I love it.

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Bwana, how many bears have you shot?

One

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2009, 06:15 PM
One

Bwana Killed more bears than Claytan's gotten laid LMAO

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 06:19 PM
One

Tell us the story.

keg in kc
03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Can you...bear...the guilt?

(rimshot)

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM

Look, have you ever done anything in life? Anything at all?

If you've done ANYTHING once, you've done it more than I've gotten laid.

Sipped a milkshake? Jerked off? Played Parcheesi? Listened to Led Zeppelin IV? Watched Star Wars? Gone hang-gliding? Eaten an egg? Killed a bear? Fucked a bear? Gone bungee-jumping? Thrown a football?

If you've done any of those things, JUST ONCE...you've done them more than I've gotten laid.

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:24 PM

At this point, I don't go bear hunting, but I spend a lot of time in country where there is a good chance of running into a grizzly. If that happens, I want something that will make it go night night before it makes me do the same. My .454 will do that, but it weighs about as much as a small jeep, which is a pain in the ass after walking around in the mountains all day. I have high cap clips (15 rounds) for my Glock 20, but I just don't trust it to put a 650 pissed off bear in the dirt, even with Corbon rounds. The S&W 329PD .44 mag, is light and will also get the job done.

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Tell us the story.

I went bear hunting, found a nice bear and shot it with my .300 untra-mag. Not much to tell bud.

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
How much that set you back? (the new one)

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I went bear hunting, found a nice bear and shot it with my .300 untra-mag. Not much to tell bud.

Oh, so you were actually looking for one.

I wanted to hear the tale of Bwana out traipsing around in the wilderness when suddenly old Smokey reared up from behind a boulder and made you crap your pants.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Was it a Grizz or a Black ?

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh, so you were actually looking for one.

I wanted to hear the tale of Bwana out traipsing around in the wilderness when suddenly old Smokey reared up from behind a boulder and made you crap your pants.

I have had three encounters like that, but they ran the other way each time, which is just as well. One of the encounters was almost point blank and I was unarmed, in town, in Cooke City, Montana. Ask Otter about the place, he's been there.

As far as your other questions regarding price of the 329, just over a grand once I change out the grips.

Bwana
03-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Was it a Grizz or a Black ?

Black, you can't hunt grizz, the feds get a bit "put out."

keg in kc
03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I have had three encounters like that, but they ran the other way each time, which is just as well. One of the encounters was almost point blank and I was unarmed, in town, in Cooke City, Montana. Ask Otter about the place, he's been there.That sounds like fun.

Fortunately all my woodland encounters in lovely overland park, kansas have been with bobcats around dusk while I'm walking or jogging.

beach tribe
03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
My broher has this gun. I shot it over thanksgiving. Great gun.

tmax63
03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I've never had problems reloading but then I don't max out loads or go 5% over max either like some fools I've met.

Bwana
03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
That sounds like fun.

Fortunately all my woodland encounters in lovely overland park, kansas have been with bobcats around dusk while I'm walking or jogging.

Yeah it was loads of fun. As in, I thought I was going to shit myself. I was a bartender at night and a fly fishing guide by day one summer in Cooke City, Montana, 3 miles from Yellowstone park. I was single and it was a target rich environment at night with all the single girls going to the park.

One night after work, I got off early (10 PM) so a buddy of mine and I grab a cold pack and head up this trail from hell to grab a mine cart, so his mother could use it in her front yard as landscaping. The mine had been closed since the 40's so we figured what the hell, it's not like they are going to need, or miss the thing. Off we go to this road from hell in a Chevy Love, that I don't think anyone had been on since the mine had closed. Bo Duke would have been proud, it was a real gut pounder going up that mountain.

We get to the top and suck down a few of the well shaken brews. We got out to load the aforementioned cart into this truck, when I look up and see a shadow right in front of us. There was very little moon that night, but I could tell the "thing" was moving. By the time I figured out is was a fricken grizzly bear, it was right there. I let out a "SON OF A BITCH!" and dove into the truck. My buddy dove in the other side. The "thing" stood up on it's back legs, took a sniff, let out a "Woof Woof" (most people won't have any fricken clue what I mean my that,) which isn't a bad thing, that just means you haven't had a grizzly bear that close to you. It's kind of a huff noise, but it sounds more like a "woof woof."

In any event, we decided that the mine cart could waint until the light of day and got the hell out of there. I was so wound up, I didn't get more than an hours worth of sleep that night at best. I have NEVER put myself into a situation like that unarmed again.

DenverChief
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah it was loads of fun. As in, I thought I was going to shit myself. I was a bartender at night and a fly fishing guide by day one summer in Cooke City, Montana, 3 miles from Yellowstone park. I was single and it was a target rich environment at night with all the single girls going to the park.

One night after work, I got off early (10 PM) so a buddy of mine and I grab a cold pack and head up this trail from hell to grab a mine cart, so his mother could use it in her front yard as landscaping. The mine had been closed since the 40's so we figured what the hell, it's not like they are going to need, or miss the thing. Off we go to this road from hell in a Chevy Love, that I don't think anyone had been on since the mine had closed. Bo Duke would have been proud, it was a real gut pounder going up that mountain.

We get to the top and suck down a few of the well shaken brews. We got out to load the aforementioned cart into this truck, when I look up and see a shadow right in front of us. There was very little moon that night, but I could tell the "thing" was moving. By the time I figured out is was a fricken grizzly bear, it was right there. I let out a "SON OF A BITCH!" and dove into the truck. My buddy dove in the other side. The "thing" stood up on it's back legs, took a sniff, let out a "Woof Woof" (most people won't have any fricken clue what I mean my that,) which isn't a bad thing, that just means you haven't had a grizzly bear that close to you. It's kind of a huff noise, but it sounds more like a "woof woof."

In any event, we decided that the mine cart could waint until the light of day and got the hell out of there. I was so wound up, I didn't get more than an hours worth of sleep that night at best. I have NEVER put myself into a situation like that unarmed again.
LMAO

nice
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

googlegoogle
03-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Obama and Eric holder are going to rob you.

HonestChieffan
03-08-2009, 07:10 AM
A buddy of mine has one of these. http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/The+5.7x28+FN

Makes a 45, 40, 9mm all look small

Bwana
03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
A buddy of mine has one of these. http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/The+5.7x28+FN

Makes a 45, 40, 9mm all look small

The bullet weights between 28 and 55 grains. How does that make a .45 "look small?" It looks like a fun fast toy, buy I sure wouldn't try jacking up a bear with that.

blil_r
08-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow. Mind telling me where you got that? $450 is a very good price. Been looking for this exact gun for some time now, but don't want to pay $700 for a new one and can't seem to find a used one anywhere in the Overland Park, KS area.

Does your source have any more to sell at that price (or even a bit more)?

If so, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Jethopper
08-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I own a .40 s&w sigma and it is honestly a equil gun to my glock 9mm

Bill Lundberg
08-23-2009, 08:50 AM
???

My 21 month old daughter keeps poking the screen on your posts saying FWY, FWY, FWY.