PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NBA season is nearing the home stretch...

RealSNR
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
So far the playoffs look like this as of 03/08/09.

Western Conference
LA Lakers 50-12
San Antonio 42-20
New Orleans 39-22
Utah 40-23
Houston 40-23
Denver 40-23
Portland 39-23
Dallas 38-25

Phoenix 34-29

Utah has won 11 straight. New Orleans has won 7 straight. Teams like Houston are doing fine, but are caught in the middle of difficult road trips.

I'd post the Eastern Conference, but since 3 teams control it all, it's not necessary. Just peculiar how great of a home team Cleveland is. It looks like if they are that unbeatable at home, that if they get a 1 seed, they will go to the finals. Nobody knows about the Garnett injury in Boston and Orlando doesn't seem to have the same ability to just fist fuck teams as the other two.

Quite the cluster fuck. Predictions at all?

Buck
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Well its going to be a LA / San Antonio Western Conference Championship series..

SAUTO
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
i agree on cleveland, this is lebron's year IMO, once williams proved he is a scoring threat cleveland's stock has soared

alanm
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
LA for the win.

riskrevival
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I am cheering for the Rockets (since my favorite team is garbage and in shambles), I hate T-Mac so I like to see them play well without him. I love the young guys like Brooks, Landry, Scola and players like Chuck Hayes. Von Wafer rules in NBA2k9 so that's a bonus.

RealSNR
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
See, I'm wondering if we don't see the Jazz or even a team like the Hornets in the conference championships this year. They're so hot right now. The Hornets too, though they're more inconsistent usually. The problem with the Hornets is that when they're bad, they're REALLY bad.

88TG88
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Lake show is goin all the way this year.

Buck
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Lake show is goin all the way this year.

This.

NFL16
03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
LeBron vs. Kobe in the finals would be sick.

Portlantis
03-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm very happy with how well the Blazers have played this year. Around here, they're the only game in town.

That being said, I'd be shocked if they make it past the first round. They seem to be totally incapable of beating good teams on the road.

My finals prediction: Cleveland over L.A. in six.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-09-2009, 12:28 AM
looking at the suns' remaining schedule vs. the rockets' makes me nervous about a late season collapse for Houston

Direckshun
03-09-2009, 12:41 AM
If Bynum comes back in full force, it's over if they run into the Celtics. But if Bynum is a limited version of himself, that's opened the door for the Celtics. Right now, the Celtics just do not have the depth up front to hold up against Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. With Bynum limited, however, Garnett would go back to kicking Odom's ass and Gasol would get manhandled by Perkins.

The Cavs will be tough, tough, TOUGH to beat for the Celts, though. If LeBron is on, it's over. But if LeBron looks like his usual streaky self -- All Time Great some games, inconsistent others while taking 30-some shots and only making 8 -- then they stand a chance.

I think the Cavs have a better chance against the Lakers because they are loaded up front. I think this squares everything up, and makes the Finals all about the perimeter, Kobe vs. LeBron. And I think Kobe's granite compared to LeBron's inconsistency.

RealSNR
03-09-2009, 12:55 AM
If Bynum comes back in full force, it's over if they run into the Celtics. But if Bynum is a limited version of himself, that's opened the door for the Celtics. Right now, the Celtics just do not have the depth up front to hold up against Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. With Bynum limited, however, Garnett would go back to kicking Odom's ass and Gasol would get manhandled by Perkins.

The Cavs will be tough, tough, TOUGH to beat for the Celts, though. If LeBron is on, it's over. But if LeBron looks like his usual streaky self -- All Time Great some games, inconsistent others while taking 30-some shots and only making 8 -- then they stand a chance.

I think the Cavs have a better chance against the Lakers because they are loaded up front. I think this squares everything up, and makes the Finals all about the perimeter, Kobe vs. LeBron. And I think Kobe's granite compared to LeBron's inconsistency.What if the Cavs get home court in the finals? Not likely the way the Lakers are playing, I know. But I really think the Cavs win it all if they get a #1 seed

RealSNR
04-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Bumping this thread. Only a few games left. Looks like the Suns are fucked out west.

Eastern Conference... Cavs looking reeeaallly tough to beat now. Either the Magic take them down or nothing I think.

Denver Dave
04-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Watch out for the Blazers.

RustShack
04-07-2009, 01:00 AM
James and Williams, the new Jordan and Pippen!

Miles
04-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Should be pretty interesting to see how things finish up with the west. Ginobili being out for the remainder of the season and playoffs could shake things up with the top seeds.

As a fan of both the Rockets and Nuggets I really hope that neither of them land the Jazz in the first round.

Miles
04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Bumping this thread. Only a few games left. Looks like the Suns are ****ed out west.

Eastern Conference... Cavs looking reeeaallly tough to beat now. Either the Magic take them down or nothing I think.

Too bad for the Suns since I would have liekd Shaq and Hill to have been able to do something this year. Amare's eye pretty much fucked them a while back.

Yeah the Cavs are looking tough. I think Boston could still take them down but things get tougher when you have injury issues with your top big man going into the playoffs.

DaKCMan AP
04-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I'd be thrilled if the Heat can get to the 2nd round.

Amnorix
04-07-2009, 06:07 AM

I think the Cavs have a better chance against the Lakers because they are loaded up front. I think this squares everything up, and makes the Finals all about the perimeter, Kobe vs. LeBron. And I think Kobe's granite compared to LeBron's inconsistency.

I have a tough time seeing hte Celtics beating the Cavs unless the Celtics are both completely healthy AND on top of their game -- clicking on all cylinders. I don't quite see it.

I'll be happy with anybody but the Lakers taking the prize, to be honest. :D

blaise
04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Should be pretty interesting to see how things finish up with the west. Ginobili being out for the remainder of the season and playoffs could shake things up with the top seeds.

As a fan of both the Rockets and Nuggets I really hope that neither of them land the Jazz in the first round.

I wouldn't be eager to face the Jazz if I were the Rockets either. Yao has a tough time with them because they can front him so well and keep him from getting his hands on the ball. I still think the Rockets can beat the Jazz though- if Houston ends up with home court for the series. Utah's just so tough at home, but on the road they're vulnerable. I think home court could hold in that series and if the Rockets have game 7 at home they should win.
Artest will probably shoot them right out of one game all by himself, you just hope he does it on the road where they'd probably lose anyway.

58-4ever
04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Well its going to be a LA / San Antonio Western Conference Championship series..

San Antonio?? I don't think so. :doh!:

Mr. Arrowhead
04-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I think the mavs will be a dangerous low seed in the west since they are healthy now, something they havent been all year

Basileus777
04-07-2009, 11:05 AM
San Antonio?? I don't think so. :doh!:

They have no chance with Manu out for the season. But really, they didn't have much chance of beating LA with him.

It's odd, but there's only only legit contender in the west. The east will be much more interesting this year.

vailpass
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
James and Williams, the new Jordan and Pippen!

Not even a shadow of MJ & Pippen. Please.

blaise
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
They have no chance with Manu out for the season. But really, they didn't have much chance of beating LA with him.

It's odd, but there's only only legit contender in the west. The east will be much more interesting this year.

I wouldn't bet on anyone in the West other than L.A., but I think there's teams that could give them some trouble. Utah could if they could somehow steal a game in L.A. I think the Rockets could if a guy like Battier can somehow get hot and Yao steps up.
Probably you're right though, this is the NBA we're talking about and L.A. is going to get all kinds of calls in their favor, especially at home. Compound that with the fact that they're better and it'll be tough for them to lose.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM
GO Hornets!

KCCHIEFS27
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm just glad that mediocre basketball known as college basketball is finally over. Now, it's time for the greatest players in the world. Pretty interesting match-ups so far..Of course, a lot could change out West and the only thing I see happening in the East is Chicago and Detroit flip-flopping or Orlando stealing the 2 seed from Boston

WEST
1.LA Lakers vs. 8. Dallas
2.Denver vs 7. Utah
3.SA vs 6. NO
4.Houston vs 5. Portland

EAST
1.Cleveland vs. 8. Detroit
2.Boston vs 7. Chicago
3.Orlando vs. 6. Philly
4.Atlanta vs 5. Miami

RealSNR
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm just glad that mediocre basketball known as college basketball is finally over. Now, it's time for the greatest players in the world. Pretty interesting match-ups so far..Of course, a lot could change out West and the only thing I see happening in the East is Chicago and Detroit flip-flopping or Orlando stealing the 2 seed from Boston

WEST
1.LA Lakers vs. 8. Dallas
2.Denver vs 7. Utah
3.SA vs 6. NO
4.Houston vs 5. Portland

EAST
1.Cleveland vs. 8. Detroit
2.Boston vs 7. Chicago
3.Orlando vs. 6. Philly
4.Atlanta vs 5. MiamiWoah... that's funky in the West. The 6 and 7 seeds are pretty likely to make it out of the first round, and possibly even the 5 (Portland)... knowing Houston's first round woes and all that.

Basileus777
04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Well the playoffs are now set, only home court left to be decided for the Blazers/Rockers series.

West

Jazz (8) at Lakers (1)
Hornets (7) at Nuggets (2)
Mavs (6) at Spurs (3)
Blazers vs Rockets with HCA to be decided. If blazers win, blazers get HCA

East

Pistons (8) at Cavs (1)
Bulls (7) at Celtics (2)
76ers (6) at Magic (3)
Heat (5) at Hawks (4)

Mr. Arrowhead
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
i I got
Lakers
Nuggets
Mavs
Blazers

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
Heat

KCCHIEFS27
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Well the playoffs are now set, only home court left to be decided for the Blazers/Rockers series.

West

Jazz (8) at Lakers (1)
Hornets (7) at Nuggets (2)
Mavs (6) at Spurs (3)
Blazers vs Rockets with HCA to be decided. If blazers win, blazers get HCA

East

Pistons (8) at Cavs (1)
Bulls (7) at Celtics (2)
76ers (6) at Magic (3)
Heat (5) at Hawks (4)

I'll take:
Lakers
Hornets (If Chandler is okay)
Spurs
Rockets

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
Hawks

Quesadilla Joe
04-16-2009, 08:07 AM
KG could miss entire postseason
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

Garnett
Garnett

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Kevin Garnett isn't ready to start the playoffs, and Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Thursday that there's a strong possibility that he will miss the entire postseason.

"He's not going to be ready. After watching him practice, there's no way," Rivers said on WEEI-AM. "The way I saw him move today, I don't know if he'll be ready."

When asked to clarify, Rivers said there was a chance Garnett could be out for the rest of the season. Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said he could not elaborate on Rivers' comments.

Garnett injured his right knee Feb. 19 and missed the next 13 games before returning for four, but never playing as many as 18 minutes. With the Celtics assured of a high playoff berth, Rivers then held Garnett out with an eye toward bringing him back for the last three games of the regular season; that became the last two, then the last one, but he never made it back.

Rivers said Thursday he watched Garnett run at the team's practice facility and said he had to shut him down after 20 minutes.

"If he can't get through biking and working out without swelling and his leg locking, I don't know how you can play in the playoffs," Garnett said. "This was an honest run today, you couldn't make your way through it. The guy's a warrior, you see him try to mask his way through it. But after 20 minutes of running, I don't see it. After today, there's no way he can play."

Garnett's reaction?

"He was frustrated. He was mad at me, mad at everybody. Then he understood," Rivers said. "He put up a fight. He's really frustrated, but that's Kevin. That's why we got him, because he cares so much."

The defending NBA champions begin the best-of-seven first round series against the Chicago Bulls on Saturday.

"We're going to move on without him," Rivers said.

RealSNR
04-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I'll take:
Lakers
Hornets (If Chandler is okay)
Spurs
Rockets

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
HawksThis. Except for Mavs will beat Spurs.

Basileus777
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
KG could miss entire postseason
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

Garnett
Garnett

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Kevin Garnett isn't ready to start the playoffs, and Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Thursday that there's a strong possibility that he will miss the entire postseason.

"He's not going to be ready. After watching him practice, there's no way," Rivers said on WEEI-AM. "The way I saw him move today, I don't know if he'll be ready."

When asked to clarify, Rivers said there was a chance Garnett could be out for the rest of the season. Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said he could not elaborate on Rivers' comments.

Garnett injured his right knee Feb. 19 and missed the next 13 games before returning for four, but never playing as many as 18 minutes. With the Celtics assured of a high playoff berth, Rivers then held Garnett out with an eye toward bringing him back for the last three games of the regular season; that became the last two, then the last one, but he never made it back.

Rivers said Thursday he watched Garnett run at the team's practice facility and said he had to shut him down after 20 minutes.

"If he can't get through biking and working out without swelling and his leg locking, I don't know how you can play in the playoffs," Garnett said. "This was an honest run today, you couldn't make your way through it. The guy's a warrior, you see him try to mask his way through it. But after 20 minutes of running, I don't see it. After today, there's no way he can play."

Garnett's reaction?

"He was frustrated. He was mad at me, mad at everybody. Then he understood," Rivers said. "He put up a fight. He's really frustrated, but that's Kevin. That's why we got him, because he cares so much."

The defending NBA champions begin the best-of-seven first round series against the Chicago Bulls on Saturday.

"We're going to move on without him," Rivers said.

KG is just getting old, his knees are breaking down. That said, they'll have no trouble beating Chicago without him. But they can't beat the Cavs in Cleveland anyway.

blaise
04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
This. Except for Mavs will beat Spurs.

I like the Mavs there too. A lot of people have San Antonio pencilled into the Western Conference finals against L.A. but I don't see it.

Basileus777
04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I like the Mavs there too. A lot of people have San Antonio pencilled into the Western Conference finals against L.A. but I don't see it.

The Spurs could beat the Mavs, but without Manu I can't see them winning more than one playoff series. They should be happy they aren't playing someone like Portland, but even so they still match up poorly against the Mavs. They don't have anyone who can guard Dirk or Terry and Howard has given them problems in the past. The Spurs are going to need Parker to dominate whoever is guarding him (probabbly Terrry/Barea) to win.

blaise
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
I like the Rockets against Portland (I would have liked it a lot better if Houston had beat Dallas yesterday). Portland's a good young team but Houston seems to match up with them. Shane Battier does seem to have more trouble defending Brandon Roy than most other guys he defends, but I think Houston wins that series.

Basileus777
04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I like the Rockets against Portland (I would have liked it a lot better if Houston had beat Dallas yesterday). Portland's a good young team but Houston seems to match up with them. Shane Battier does seem to have more trouble defending Brandon Roy than most other guys he defends, but I think Houston wins that series.

The Rockets do match up well and Artest/Battier have actually held Roy to some pretty poor numbers this year. I think Houston will win, but how tough the Blazers are at home makes me a bit hesitant.

blaise
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
The Rockets do match up well and Artest/Battier have actually held Roy to some pretty poor numbers this year. I think Houston will win, but how tough the Blazers are at home makes me a bit hesitant.

And the Rockets really aren't that great at home. The Toyota Center isn't much of a home court advantage. It'll be a good series. It's on Yao now to win a playoff series, now that T-Mac's not there. But yeah, I'm like you- I think Houston in a close one. They'll really help themselves if they win game 1.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
The mavs will beat the spurs in 6, bank on it!

Micjones
04-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Lebron to get ring #1?

SAUTO
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Lebron to get ring #1?

the start to many IMO, bron-bron vs kobe for years to come will be grrrrrreat