PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Random questions regarding downtown Atlanta and the ACC Tournament

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
1) I'm going to be there for a little while. I know Simply Red, dtebbe and a few others on this board live there. I should have plenty of time to look around... what would you recommend downtown (or within a reasonable distance from downtown using public transportation)? It looks like there's a ton to do, so just trying to narrow it down a little. Opinions on nightlife (Underground Atlanta?), local dives/restaurants, touristy stuff, etc; would be appreciated.

2) Re: ACC tournament... has anyone ever attended a basketball game in a football stadium before? Is it worth it in terms of being able to see the action? The Georgia Dome configuration doesn't seem so bad (as opposed to Detroit, where they put the court at midfield :banghead: ), but I'm looking for opinions because the full package is like $400 (and I'd probably be able to make ~5 of them). The pic doesn't look all that bad, but again, just looking for opinions (and if anyone is looking for afternoon games on Thursday or Friday, you can have mine if I buy the entire package).

3) So, I found ACC tourney tickets available... row 1 of section 333. I can't buy them quite yet because it's not 100% that I'll be there before this weekend, but section 333 happens to be one of UNC's sections. Is it wrong to wear a Kansas National Championship t-shirt while sitting in the UNC section of the ACC Tournament?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/untitled-1.jpg

SBK
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Last year during the SEC tourney in the GA Dome a tornado scored a direct hit. There's still windows blasted out of some of the buildings downtown from that.

Underground Atlanta is like ghetto Gatlinburg. No reason to even consider visiting.

I'm not into the club scene at all, but I'd recommend hopping on MARTA and heading to Midtown or Buckhead. Lots of great restaurants and things. Of course the Aquarium is awesome, biggest in the world, and people enjoy World of Coke. Those are both downtown by Centennial Park, which is kind of cool too. Those are walking distance from the Dome.

What kind of food do you want to eat, or things do you want to see?

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Underground Atlanta is like ghetto Gatlinburg. No reason to even consider visiting.

Thanks... I've heard/seen different things, from a news report about 'turning it around to respectability' to the website that makes it look like a perfect place for family time.

I'm not into the club scene at all, but I'd recommend hopping on MARTA and heading to Midtown or Buckhead.

Thanks, I'll look around that area. I'm not all that into the club scene, but I'll probably check it out.

Lots of great restaurants and things. Of course the Aquarium is awesome, biggest in the world, and people enjoy World of Coke. Those are both downtown by Centennial Park, which is kind of cool too. Those are walking distance from the Dome.

I was there for a couple of days last month, so while I didn't get out at all, I'm a little familiar with the area right around Centennial Park/World of Coke/etc. I'm looking forward to just walking around the area in the next couple of weeks because there's so much in that area.

What kind of food do you want to eat, or things do you want to see?

I'll eat anything... as far as a typical restaurant -- steakhouses, Italian, BBQ... but, I really like finding good international food, like Thai, Indian, Sri Lankan, Lebanese, etc.

As far as other stuff to do... I think the aquarium and World of Coke would be cool, and I noticed there was an Inside CNN tour. I'm going to love having the NHL a short walk away, and I might have to make it to a Hawks game, too. Any good comedy clubs? I'll have to look up theaters in the area. There's a Six Flags someplace nearby, too, right? Any good coasters?

Too bad I have to work while I'm there.... :sulk: ;)

SBK
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks... I've heard/seen different things, from a news report about 'turning it around to respectability' to the website that makes it look like a perfect place for family time.

Thanks, I'll look around that area. I'm not all that into the club scene, but I'll probably check it out.

I was there for a couple of days last month, so while I didn't get out at all, I'm a little familiar with the area right around Centennial Park/World of Coke/etc. I'm looking forward to just walking around the area in the next couple of weeks because there's so much in that area.

I'll eat anything... as far as a typical restaurant -- steakhouses, Italian, BBQ... but, I really like finding good international food, like Thai, Indian, Sri Lankan, Lebanese, etc.

As far as other stuff to do... I think the aquarium and World of Coke would be cool, and I noticed there was an Inside CNN tour. I'm going to love having the NHL a short walk away, and I might have to make it to a Hawks game, too. Any good comedy clubs? I'll have to look up theaters in the area. There's a Six Flags someplace nearby, too, right? Any good coasters?

Yeah, you can tour CNN, and the Hawks and Thrashers (who suck) play right there too. We do have Six Flags, there's some good rides there.

Pretty much anything you can imagine can be found in Atlanta, tons of great places to eat etc.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, you can tour CNN, and the Hawks and Thrashers (who suck) play right there too. We do have Six Flags, there's some good rides there.

Pretty much anything you can imagine can be found in Atlanta, tons of great places to eat etc.

I was looking at Thrashers tickets a couple of months ago when I found out I'd be going, and the 'best available' from Ticketmaster returned $300 first row seats. I was thinking, WTF, every hockey team in the NHL should have those taken by corporations or whoever. Oh well, it's still hockey, and they have the Capitals, Red Wings, and Rangers coming to town.

Thanks for the input! :toast:

Goapics1
03-10-2009, 06:57 AM
I thought the strip joints in Atlanta were lengedary.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
1- You are going to have a blast in Atlanta. Okay, so lets talk about eating. There are tons of options at any end of the spectrum. Obviously, you have every chain resteraunt that there is. The Palm is great, Ruth's Chris is awesome, and for high end Italian, I recomend Magiannos. Those are all in Buckhead. If you get to buckhead, there is a place in the Buckhead Village called Souper Jenny that is a great spot for lunch, and is on the lower end of the financial spectrum.

Now, if you have an open night, you can try to get into the Tabernacle, they have some awesome bands play, if you like live music.

In the Village, a place called five paces (also referred to as 5P) has a live band on Friday's and Saturday's. Actually, in the village, there are several bars all within walking distance. Red Door is more laid back and quiet.... a place that you can drink and chat. Churchills is pretty similar, but they have free darts and you can play pool on three beat up pool tables with crooked house sticks. The pool hall is directly across from 5P. It looks rough, but it isn't. Obviously, it has several pool tables. This isn't the typical hustler's pool hall though. Most in there are just playing because they want something to do. (there are a few sharks trolling though, so don't put your wallet on the table and expect to take on all comers).

Stout is a very nice bar that actually has good food, and it is right next to Souper Jenny. It is similar to Fado in atmosphere, but doesn't get as crowded because they are on a side street in the village and it gets fewer tourists and OTP people. (OTP=outside the permiter. The perimeter is I-285 which makes a complete loop around the city of Atlanta. People who live outside that in any of the many suburbs are called OTPers)

Now, the world of Coke is interesting, as is the Cylorama if you are history buff, especially Civil War history. The Aquarium is pretty amazing as well....

I disagree with the above poster about Underground Atlanta. Especially if you were to go during the daytime. I have taken my kids down there several times.

There are typically some great exhibits the high museum of Art as well.

Man, I could go ON and ON about what there is to do in Atlanta. I mean, seriously, if you are a straight laced kind of guy, I have pretty much laid it out for you.

But, Atlanta is a VERY diverse city. It is called black Hollywood. It has swingers bars. There is a place called Johnny's hideaway that you are almost guaranteed to pick up a lady for the night... but bewared... she will be a cougar.... (oh, and they have a dress code... so take a sport coat if you plan on going there). There is a huge gay scene as well, but I am not familiar with that. I can call some friends though and give you the lowdown on that if you need it.

2) I haven't been to a basketball game in a stadium, but I imagine that if you have nosebleed seats, it will suck.

3) I don't think that this is a big deal at all. Fans at Championship or tournament games just expect to be in contact with fans from the other team. As long as you are respectful, I am sure you will receive similar treatment from other fans.

Mr. Plow
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, doesn't Midnight_Vulture live in Atlanta? Maybe he could hook you up with a sweet bike and a hot chick.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2009, 08:26 AM
This will be good info. I'll be in Atlanta March 27-29.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Club Opera, on 14th I think, It's one of the best. Really most restaurants downtown are good as well as the restaurants in buckhead. I'd recomment trying (if you have time) 'Twist' down @ Phipps Plaza, it's really nice, tapas....

Bah, pm me if you need anything else, I didn't touch on all of your request, but I could if need be...

luv
03-10-2009, 09:20 AM

I don't know about you, but I also tend to look for local restaurants/dives to try when I go different places. I would think you'd be able tofind some awesome downhome cokkin' down there. Nothing like southern comfort food.

Bearcat
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
1- You are going to have a blast in Atlanta.

Great info, thanks! Sounds like I'll definitely have to check out Buckhead on a couple of weekends. Live music is always a huge plus... definitely up for the less pretentious/more laid back bars and pubs.

I'm there for at least 8 weeks (and one weekend is hopefully reserved for the ACC Tourney and another for Florida), so I'm hoping to have time to explore around what's supposed to be a fairly hectic work schedule.

2) I haven't been to a basketball game in a stadium, but I imagine that if you have nosebleed seats, it will suck.

3) I don't think that this is a big deal at all. Fans at Championship or tournament games just expect to be in contact with fans from the other team. As long as you are respectful, I am sure you will receive similar treatment from other fans.

First row of the upper deck doesn't sound too bad, so I think as long as I'm not behind the basket it'll be okay.

Eh... I was hoping to make a scene. :) I worked downtown in KC during college, and the Jayhawks would come in and eat dinner during the B12 tournament, and there would be fans of just about every team, too. That was fun, considering the games were at Kemper (and there's no reason to hang around there unless you're going to the games) and downtown was pretty dead. So, I'm really looking forward to being in the middle of the ACC Tournament... PBJ

Bearcat
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't know about you, but I also tend to look for local restaurants/dives to try when I go different places. I would think you'd be able tofind some awesome downhome cokkin' down there. Nothing like southern comfort food.

Yeah, I like trying new stuff, whether it's local or simply "the best ____ in Atlanta". Oh, and we walked by a Hooters on the way to our hotel last time. It's, uh, based in Atlanta. :D

Club Opera, on 14th I think, It's one of the best. Really most restaurants downtown are good as well as the restaurants in buckhead. I'd recomment trying (if you have time) 'Twist' down @ Phipps Plaza, it's really nice, tapas....

Bah, pm me if you need anything else, I didn't touch on all of your request, but I could if need be...

Thanks... I'll have to dig up your previous post on the last Atlanta thread.

Edit... since DaKCMan is heading there, too....
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=202817

Brookhaven - The Tavern @ Phipps, Pub71, Hudson Grill,

Buckhead - Nava, Tongue N Groove, Opera is cool as **** + you'll be dancing w/ hot chicks 360 degrees around your dancing ass.

Also - Try to hit up Taco Cabana it's a good taco-house.

Lenox is cool during the day.

Everybody's pizza in Virginia Highlands.

Atlantic Station - Just try to duck like every once in a while.

The VARSITY downtown is an Atlanta novelty, shitty junk food fast food must. Chili cheese everthing, apple-pies blah blah...

I'd make Brookhaven a priority, it's a nice speed.

There's also cabbage-town (east atlanta) which is eclectic.

Yeah, the zoo.

Also, there is midtown, which is really hip.

Virginia Highlands,

Justins is here, which is P-Diddy's Restaurant.

umm, what's the matter, mesmith31? Your sweating.

Anyhow, Ummm, also, Phipps Plaza overall is just super cool.

Little Five Points, where it's Halloween year round, but some nice record stores and Felini's Pizza.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Dude, if you or Dakc wanna hang, let me know, You picked the perfect weekend, I'll come pick you all up. PM me if interested...

SenselessChiefsFan
03-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Man, I can't believe I forgot about Twist.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Man, I can't believe I forgot about Twist.

oh, do you live here, too?

Bearcat
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Dude, if you or Dakc wanna hang, let me know, You picked the perfect weekend, I'll come pick you all up. PM me if interested...

I'll be there for several weekends, but that one works... ACC Tourney this weekend, probably do some touristy stuff next weekend, and then can check out Buckhead and a bar or two the weekend of the 28th.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll be there for several weekends, but that one works... ACC Tourney this weekend, probably do some touristy stuff next weekend, and then can check out Buckhead and a bar or two the weekend of the 28th.

So, the 28th is best?

Bearcat
03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
So, the 28th is best?

Yeah, the 28th should work... I can confirm a few days prior.

Is there a dress code? The only reason I'm not huge on the club scene is that anything past jeans and a decent shirt is stretching it...

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
yeah, see if you can buy some pants, (like black) and a cool dress shirt.

Bearcat
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
yeah, see if you can buy some pants, (like black) and a cool dress shirt.

After looking at your link, anyplace that calls itself a "super club, mega club" would probably have me sit outside on a Saturday night, but the pics are intriguing, so I'll see what I can do. I joke that people dress like they're going to Prom, but that site has some pics that actually look like Prom pictures. LMAO

SenselessChiefsFan
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
oh, do you live here, too?
Yep.... I am an OTPer.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Yep.... I am an OTPer.

me too, for now, I live in Suwanee, I'm moving to Brookhaven April 15th.

SBK
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Isn't Buckhead Village no more? I thought they blew it all up for that Streets of Buckhead shopping center?