PDA

View Full Version : Life Had a hell of a good day at work today

KC Jones
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
A little while after I came in, my boss swung by and asked me to follow him to his bosses office where they closed the door...

I got a bonus!
PBJ PBJ PBJ

In the afternoon he came by again and asked me to follow him back to his bosses office where they closed the door again... gulp...

I got a raise and a promotion.
PBJ PBJ PBJ

I'm a very lucky man. I work for good people who take care of me, and really it's a pretty easy job. All of the financial stress the wife and I have had for the past year just disappeared. Our company is expecting to grow this year even with the markets in disarray. I'm a very lucky man.

Reerun_KC
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
wow just wow

Delano
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Sweet!

Can we make this a celebration thread?

I just landed a very ideal job today. I've got about two months of my final semester before I start cashin' checks.

w00t!

luv
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
What do you do?

DaFace
Congrats man!
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
Congrats KC Jones.

That is a big deal. Save as much of it as you can.

DaKCMan AP
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Congrats.

I have my annual review tomorrow.

I expect an excellent performance review, then told because of the economic climate that there will be no promotions and I'll get a marginal raise. :spock:

KC Jones
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
What do you do?

Would you believe I've been here two years and I'm still not sure? By trade I'm a software engineer, but in this role I write very little software. Ostensibly it's the architecture team but we do very little architecture work. We Call it the black ops team, because we just get shit done without anybody really knowing. I just finished up an availability and scalability assessment of several systems, and I think senior management was really happy with the results I provided.

Rain Man
03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
It sounds to me like you should commission a small market research study to figure out how use that money. Congrats!

And congrats to Delano, too. What's the new job?

luv
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Would you believe I've been here two years and I'm still not sure? By trade I'm a software engineer, but in this role I write very little software. Ostensibly it's the architecture team but we do very little architecture work. We Call it the black ops team, because we just get shit done without anybody really knowing. I just finished up an availability and scalability assessment of several systems, and I think senior management was really happy with the results I provided.

You do the best with what they give you. If they like what you do, they'll give you more or something else. That's been my experience where I work. Congrats on all counts.

luv
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM

This was going to be my next question.

Skip Towne
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Congrats to both of you. These stories are rare these days.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Congrats to KC Jones and Delano and good luck DaKCMan AP!

Bartender. shots all around.:BLVD:

KC Jones
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet!

I just landed a very ideal job today. I've got about two months of my final semester before I start cashin' checks.

w00t!

Congratulations!

Now lets celebrate!

:BLVD:

:rockon:

:toast:

Good job landing a new grad job in this economy. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

Delano
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Congratulations!

Now lets celebrate!

:BLVD:

:rockon:

:toast:

Good job landing a new grad job in this economy. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

Thanks!

The job title is Biologist, but I will split my time between field work, research, developing compliance documents and cultural resource inventories.

Good luck to anyone else looking for a job! :BLVD:

Phobia
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm going to mow some lawns this spring.

luv
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks!

The job title is Biologist, but I will split my time between field work, research, developing compliance documents and cultural resource inventories.

Good luck to anyone else looking for a job! :BLVD:

You mentioned final semester. Is this after you graduate? Will you be staying where you are?

Bwana
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Sweet!

w00t!

Nice Jones and good job delano. I got a call today on a new gig that I had interviewed for about 3 weeks ago. They have been looking for the right guy for six months for their sales team. I meet with the company president next Wednesday to see if we can come to terms. I don't see it as much of a problem, as they tend to pay on the high end of the scale.

Good timing as well, as it looks like the team I am on now, may be cut loose as early as the end of the first quarter. I will go into that more when I have this other job put to bed, but this job I am on now, has been a living hell for a long time. This last 3 months has been unreal. The boss of my boss is about one step out of the cave.

FAX
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Great news, Mr. KC Jones. Congratulations.

It's nice to hear good news on occasion.

FAX

FAX
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
My good news is that nobody called me a Toad Turd Stacker today. Not even once.

FAX

Delano
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
You mentioned final semester. Is this after you graduate? Will you be staying where you are?

The job begins in May, which is also when I graduate.

I'll be moving, but staying in the Midwest. I'm going to start looking for an apartment tomorrow.

Nice Jones and good job delano. I got a call today on a new gig that I had interviewed for about 3 weeks ago. They have been looking for the right guy for six months for their sales team. I meet with the company president next Wednesday to see if we can come to terms. I don't see it as much of a problem, as they tend to pay on the high end of the scale.

Good timing as well, as it looks like the team I am on now, may be cut loose as early as the end of the first quarter. I will go into that more when I have this other job put to bed, but this job I am on now, has been a living hell for a long time. This last 3 months has been unreal. The boss of my boss is about one step out of the cave.

Sounds like perfect timing for you. I hope the terms of employment are schweeett!

Iowanian
03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm glad for you.

I had about the opposite day. Still working. I'm happy yours went well.

Bwana
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds like perfect timing for you. I hope the terms of employment are schweeett!

I don't see a problem with that. Its just a matter of having a chat with the president, getting him to bend his wallet, eating a nice dinner and driving the 350 miles back home.

I have to be honest, calling in and giving my two week notice for my current job, will be one of the sweetest moments of my life.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Congrats! :toast:

Sounds like my job (except maybe the "without anyone knowing" part... I hope, anyway)... any attempt at describing exactly what I do will end in a blank stare.

Skip Towne
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I had a good day as well. I work as a contractor on commercial satellite systems. I hadn't had a job in 3 weeks so I emailed the install manager last week. I got two jobs today.

Bugeater
My good news is that nobody called me a Toad Turd Stacker today. Not even once.

FAX

The day isn't over with yet, Mr Toad Turd Stacker.

And congrats KCJ!

luv
Congrats! :toast:

Sounds like my job (except maybe the "without anyone knowing" part... I hope, anyway)... any attempt at describing exactly what I do will end in a blank stare.

Eh, I need to go to bed anyway. What do you do?

:p

Delano
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I had a good day as well. I work as a contractor on commercial satellite systems. I hadn't had a job in 3 weeks so I emailed the install manager last week. I got two jobs today.

:clap::clap:

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
And congrats KCJ!

Please don't call him that.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Eh, I need to go to bed anyway. What do you do?

:p

Better be happy I like you, because I'm sparing you the knee-jerk answer. :p

Do you know how the ATM now asks if you want a receipt, instead of just spitting one out? Well, my job has nothing to do with that, per se...

Bugeater
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Do you know how the ATM now asks if you want a receipt, instead of just spitting one out? Well, my job has nothing to do with that, per se...
Does it have anything to do with the stupid "confirm" button that I now have to constantly push as I'm doing my transaction? If so, I hate you.

Skip Towne
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM

So what do you do? It seems like they ship you around a lot.

luv
03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Does it have anything to do with the stupid "confirm" button that I now have to constantly push as I'm doing my transaction? If so, I hate you.

As long as it isn't like when you pay with debit at Price Cutter or K-Mart. Those friggin' things want your life history.

soundmind
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
:banghead: Always good to hear someone got work. I'm moving into my parents' basement in 2 months if I can't find a job - only been looking for 3 months though, so I guess there's hope.

Plans have altered to see if I can't join the military, starting tomorrow. That should be an interesting conversation. "You have 3 months to lose 50 pounds." :bang: We'll see if they'll have me though, I'm 29 with a couple rusty hinges. If not, I'm really not sure what to do.

What does it take to claim bankruptcy exactly, and what the hell happens to you....? I guess I better start looking into that answer sooner than expected....since expected was never.

luv
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
:banghead: Always good to hear someone got work. I'm moving into my parents' basement in 2 months if I can't find a job - only been looking for 3 months though, so I guess there's hope.

Plans have altered to see if I can't join the military, starting tomorrow. That should be an interesting conversation. "You have 3 months to lose 50 pounds." :bang: We'll see if they'll have me though, I'm 29 with a couple rusty hinges. If not, I'm really not sure what to do.

What does it take to claim bankruptcy exactly, and what the hell happens to you....?

Depends on what type of bankruptcy.

Delano
03-09-2009, 10:09 PM

What does it take to claim bankruptcy exactly, and what the hell happens to you....? I guess I better start looking into that answer sooner than expected....since expected was never.

You have school loans or what?

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
So what do you do? It seems like they ship you around a lot.

I work for a software company, and when a company buys one of our software products, I go on site to install, test, configure, test, educate (it's not a bug, it's a feature!), fix/program, etc. The blank stares come in when someone who know how long I was in Detroit says "and you did that at one place for 6 months?".

I went to school to become a software engineer, but changed my mind along the way. This job allows me to do some programming in a few different languages, but also gets me involved with a lot of other stuff (database management, better knowledge of the products, product management/education, and did I say testing?), and I really like the travel.

Deberg_1990
03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
A little while after I came in, my boss swung by and asked me to follow him to his bosses office where they closed the door...

I got a bonus!
PBJ PBJ PBJ

In the afternoon he came by again and asked me to follow him back to his bosses office where they closed the door again... gulp...

I got a raise and a promotion.
PBJ PBJ PBJ

I'm a very lucky man. I work for good people who take care of me, and really it's a pretty easy job. All of the financial stress the wife and I have had for the past year just disappeared. Our company is expecting to grow this year even with the markets in disarray. I'm a very lucky man.

How can this be? Obama tells us our country sucks.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM

I'm sure you're looking for just about anything right now, but what kind of work are you hoping to find?

Delano
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Deberg,

Get that shit outta here, please.

luv
I work for a software company, and when a company buys one of our software products, I go on site to install, test, configure, test, educate (it's not a bug, it's a feature!), fix/program, etc. The blank stares come in when someone who know how long I was in Detroit says "and you did that at one place for 6 months?".

I went to school to become a software engineer, but changed my mind along the way. This job allows me to do some programming in a few different languages, but also gets me involved with a lot of other stuff (database management, better knowledge of the products, product management/education, and did I say testing?), and I really like the travel.

Where I work, that's called Implimentation. I am now in Support for the software we develop and install. Once the implementation is done, the customer calls whenever they have problems (of all kinds), need new users set up or a password reset, etc. Only we deal with EMR's (electronic medical records).

Mr. Plow
Hang on......you got a bonus, then you got a raise, THEN you got a promotion?

WOW! Congratulations!

soundmind
03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
You have school loans or what?

A small hill of bad debt, plus student loans. It's nothing a normal $35K job can't handle, but I just can't seem to get anyone's attention. Could be what I do though too, been in print design and production for about 6 years, and have a BFA in Art/Design. So basically, I have no idea what to do with everyone pulling back budgets. God knows they cut the artists first. They'll salary one of us to 15 salespeople, but I digress. I look everyday. Been on foot some. No love...

I do know that no matter what you do, short of dying, you will always owe the student loans until you pay them off.

And the bankruptcy is just me. Ya know....what happens when you just don't have any money....? Apparently I just don't know the right people, cause the only calls I've received are from Primerica type schemes.

Oh well, just venting publicly. Pay no mind. Unless of course you can help me with a job....then this was a plea. And I'm available 24/7.

Thig Lyfe
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
How can this be? Obama tells us our country sucks.

You suck.

Delano
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
A small hill of bad debt, plus student loans. It's nothing a normal $35K job can't handle, but I just can't seem to get anyone's attention. Could be what I do though too, been in print design and production for about 6 years, and have a BFA in Art/Design. So basically, I have no idea. I look everyday. Been on foot some. No love...

I do know that no matter what you do, short of dying, you will always owe the student loans until you pay them off.

And the bankruptcy is just me. Ya know....what happens when you just don't have any money....? Apparently I just don't know the right people, cause the only calls I've received are from Primerica type schemes.

Oh well, just venting publicly. Pay no mind. Unless of course you can help me with a job....then this was a plea. And I'm available 24/7.

Good luck man. Wish I could help.

Buehler445
03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
A small hill of bad debt, plus student loans. It's nothing a normal $35K job can't handle, but I just can't seem to get anyone's attention. Could be what I do though too, been in print design and production for about 6 years, and have a BFA in Art/Design. So basically, I have no idea what to do with everyone pulling back budgets. God knows they cut the artists first. They'll salary one of us to 15 salespeople, but I digress. I look everyday. Been on foot some. No love...

Hey dude. Sent you a smoke. It is most certainly not what you want, but if you have nothing it may be better than nothing.

Skip Towne
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
35K? Everybody on here makes 80K+ Just ask 'em.

Bugeater
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I got a raise to 90K. Told my boss I was going to beat his ass if I didn't get it.

DeezNutz
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM

When going ATM, I've never had a woman ask if I wanted a receipt or spit. Weird.

Must be a regional thing.

luv
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
When going ATM, I've never had a woman ask if I wanted a receipt or spit. Weird.

That was so close to being funny. So close.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Where I work, that's called Implimentation. I am now in Support for the software we develop and install. Once the implementation is done, the customer calls whenever they have problems (of all kinds), need new users set up or a password reset, etc. Only we deal with EMR's (electronic medical records).

Is there a typical length of time for the implementation? I think my company would like it to be around 3 months, but that's a challenge domestically and nearly impossible internationally.

DeezNutz
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
That was so close to being funny. So close.

I laughed.

Must be you.

luv
03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Is there a typical length of time for the implementation? I think my company would like it to be around 3 months, but that's a challenge domestically and nearly impossible internationally.

Well, we're not working on ATM systems. Our system is set up on a facility by facility basis. Normally, it take one to two weeks onsite to do the setup. This is usually followed up with tweaks from the office, and any additional training that can be done via conference call. There's also a lot of prep work done before going onsite.

aturnis
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Congrats!

DeezNutz
03-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, we're not working on ATM systems.

Well, now the problem is obvious. Couldn't overcome the cognitive dissonance.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:36 PM

We also have the 'another transaction or ear wax' option. It's confusing.

soundmind
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Well, I tend to deal in reality, and unless I was in line for a Directors position, I'm likely not to do a lot better than $45-50 at the top end, so...

Al Bundy
03-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Lucky you. They have frozen wage increases company wide and are trying to get people to quit by piling more responsibility's on everyone. They asked if I wanted to do a review I told them "No.. I already know what you think of me."

Al Bundy
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I also tend to think the company I work for will never give raises again, either. I think they are going to tighten way up and stay where they are.

Bearcat
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, we're not working on ATM systems. Our system is set up on a facility by facility basis. Normally, it take one to two weeks onsite to do the setup. This is usually followed up with tweaks from the office, and any additional training that can be done via conference call. There's also a lot of prep work done before going onsite.

Oh, I know your industry... was just curious. Oddly enough, I know several people that do similar work to mine, but in completely different industries, so I'm always curious at how much/long they're on the road. It's the right age group, I guess.

FAX
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I remember a long time ago when I had a job.

I had this friend who owned a beer bar in SEK. One morning, he called to tell me he had some vitally important errands to run and inquired if I would do him a favor by bartending for the afternoon and watching over his place. To sweeten the deal, he said I could drink free beer and he'd also pay me 50 bucks cash. I'd never bartended before, but I figured it couldn't be all that hard just drawing pitchers and stuff, so I accepted. It wasn't a bad job ... I had all the free juke box music and beer I wanted, nobody was in the place, and he even had some video games. I started thinking that working for a living wasn't so bad.

Well, around 2:00 pm, a group of 6 or 7 construction workers came in and started ordering pitchers and playing pool. Then around 3:00, 6 or so bikers arrived with an extraordinarily ugly, fat, biker chick whose ass was at least 4 times too large for her Levis. Approximately 3:45, one of the construction guys said something to the biker chick. By 3:49, all hell broke loose and there was broken glass, broken pool cues, beer, hair, screams, chairs, curses, tables, and blood flying every-damn-friggin-where. Realizing that my newfound career had taken somewhat of a turn for the worse, I searched under the bar and, as it happened, located a sawed-off baseball bat with a leather thong attached to the handle. Arming myself with this magnificent and intimidating weapon, I mustered my courage, drew a deep breath, and yelled out in my best John Wayne voice, "Hey! Take it outside!". That was when one of the bikers hesitated ever so briefly before throwing a half-full beer pitcher in my direction while replying, "You take it outside if you don't want your head shoved up your ass, motherf*cker." That's when I decided that, since I didn't know which side I should be on and my skills with a sawed-off baseball bat were limited at best, I should do what any other self-respecting tavern keeper would do under the circumstances - I took myself outside. As luck would have it, there was a payphone just by the door and, assessing my situation, I realized that I still had a bunch of juke-box quarters in my pocket. So, I invested in a phone call to the police. They arrived about 4:30 by which time the fight was well over. The authorities interviewed bikers and construction guys for awhile, learned that there had been some terrible accidents and falls in the bathroom, then left me with about a dozen drunk, half-mad, bleeding, pissed-off guys, one ugly biker chick with a giant ass, and one class-A friggin' mess of a beer bar. By way of apology for the call to the police, I announced that it was "Free Beer Day" and my life was spared. My friend came back around 6:00. I handed him the keys, a wet bar towel, the ball bat, and my resignation.

The way I figure it, work is overrated.

FAX

lazepoo
03-09-2009, 10:52 PM

You should really try to work something out with your creditors if you can't afford the payments... they'd much rather get something than nothing. Also, don't sweat moving back in with your parents. The reality of this generation is that we're saddled with a mountain of debt as soon as we leave college if we had to pay our own way. The only way baby boomers had $50k + of debt when they left school is if they bought a house. Take the chance to save some cash and pay down some of your debt instead of moving out as soon as you get a job. You'll have a lot more flexibility in your choices and be able to find something you'll enjoy instead of settling.

JOhn
03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Congrats

Always nice to get a little respect @ work.

I know I've been lucky this year as well, got my promotion last month. Was worried about the economy here, with us being so dependent on the tourist trade. But my company is sitting well to ride out the times, just means a slow down in the hiring for temp summer jobs.

Bwana, let me know how it goes.

Otter
03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I remember a long time ago when I had a job.

I had this friend who owned a beer bar in SEK. One morning, he called to tell me he had some vitally important errands to run and inquired if I would do him a favor by bartending for the afternoon and watching over his place. To sweeten the deal, he said I could drink free beer and he'd also pay me 50 bucks cash. I'd never bartended before, but I figured it couldn't be all that hard just drawing pitchers and stuff, so I accepted. It wasn't a bad job ... I had all the free juke box music and beer I wanted, nobody was in the place, and he even had some video games. I started thinking that working for a living wasn't so bad.

Well, around 2:00 pm, a group of 6 or 7 construction workers came in and started ordering pitchers and playing pool. Then around 3:00, 6 or so bikers arrived with an extraordinarily ugly, fat, biker chick whose ass was at least 4 times too large for her Levis. Approximately 3:45, one of the construction guys said something to the biker chick. By 3:49, all hell broke loose and there was broken glass, broken pool cues, beer, hair, screams, chairs, curses, tables, and blood flying every-damn-friggin-where. Realizing that my newfound career had taken somewhat of a turn for the worse, I searched under the bar and, as it happened, located a sawed-off baseball bat with a leather thong attached to the handle. Arming myself with this magnificent and intimidating weapon, I mustered my courage, drew a deep breath, and yelled out in my best John Wayne voice, "Hey! Take it outside!". That was when one of the bikers hesitated ever so briefly before throwing a half-full beer pitcher in my direction while replying, "You take it outside if you don't want your head shoved up your ass, motherf*cker." That's when I decided that, since I didn't know which side I should be on and my skills with a sawed-off baseball bat were limited at best, I should do what any other self-respecting tavern keeper would do under the circumstances - I took myself outside. As luck would have it, there was a payphone just by the door and, assessing my situation, I realized that I still had a bunch of juke-box quarters in my pocket. So, I invested in a phone call to the police. They arrived about 4:30 by which time the fight was well over. The authorities interviewed bikers and construction guys for awhile, learned that there had been some terrible accidents and falls in the bathroom, then left me with about a dozen drunk, half-mad, bleeding, pissed-off guys, one ugly biker chick with a giant ass, and one class-A friggin' mess of a beer bar. By way of apology for the call to the police, I announced that it was "Free Beer Day" and my life was spared. My friend came back around 6:00. I handed him the keys, a wet bar towel, the ball bat, and my resignation.

The way I figure it, work is overrated.

FAX

ROFL

As someone who has been a bartender all through college and even for a while after I find that story hilarious. I found myself in situations where some very large men and women needed to be separated without the help of bouncers.

As a future reference Fax - a choke hold is your best friend. If I found myself in that situation these days however I'd probably step outside as well.

An congrats KC Jones, glad to see good things happen to too good people.

ChiTown
03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Congrats, KCJ. That's awesome news and I'm sure well-deserved.

Iowanian
03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Getting a bonus, raise and promotion in the same day is a pretty good day at work, but I'm not sure it ranks with walking in on the beauty shop orgy upstairs...

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Congrats.

kc rush
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Its nice to hear some good news on here for a change. Congrats to all.

Chief Henry
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Good positive news is always appreciated by me.

kepp
03-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Does your company have any openings? I too am a software engineer that would like to do very little work.