PDA

View Full Version : Money Police seize more than $1 million from Phish fans

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 07:41 AM
HAMPTON, Va. – Some Phish fans are leaving Hampton a little lighter than when they arrived for the band's weekend reunion.

Police said Monday they confiscated about $1.2 million in illegal drugs and more than $68,000 in cash from concertgoers. Authorities also arrested 194 Phish fans during the three-night celebration of the band's return to the stage after a nearly five-year absence.

Most of the arrests were for drug possession, use and distribution, police said.

Tourism officials had estimated 75,000 fans would be coming to the coastal Virginia city. Nearly 200 law enforcement officers worked the weekend event, with the Vermont-based band picking up the tab.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 07:42 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_en_ot/phish_fan_arrests

The only song I have heard by phish is gin and juice lol anyway you know the police will be out in full force. Oh well. Hopefully no one is actually jailed, just take away the drugs unless it is herion or coke

Consistent1
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM

The only song I have heard by phish is gin and juice lol anyway you know the police will be out in full force. Oh well. Hopefully no one is actually jailed, just take away the drugs unless it is herion or coke

Shit, people like that do it all. Right down to the Xanies to chill back out.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
HAMPTON, Va. – Some Phish fans are leaving Hampton a little lighter than when they arrived for the band's weekend reunion.

Police said Monday they confiscated about $1.2 million in illegal drugs and more than $68,000 in cash from concertgoers. Authorities also arrested 194 Phish fans during the three-night celebration of the band's return to the stage after a nearly five-year absence.

Most of the arrests were for drug possession, use and distribution, police said.

Tourism officials had estimated 75,000 fans would be coming to the coastal Virginia city. Nearly 200 law enforcement officers worked the weekend event, with the Vermont-based band picking up the tab.

Phish fans on drugs? Come on, next you'll be telling me that they don't shower as regularly as we do.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
haha phish fans....... why do I have a feeling that is the people actual hard working people support.

blaise
03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Aren't Phish fans just Deadhead wannabes that were born 10 years too late?

phisherman
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM

phish has never played gin and juice. The Gourds is the band that did the version of the song that you're talking about. That song is one of the most commonly mislabeled songs from the Napster days.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Aren't Phish fans just Deadhead wannabes that were born 10 years too late?

probably more like music fans that got on the bus after Jerry died.

they're all wookies in the long run.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
phish has never played gin and juice. The Gourds is the band that did the version of the song that you're talking about. That song is one of the most commonly mislabeled songs from the Napster days.

I don't think that is right. One of my mp3's says Phish-gin and juice

Third Eye
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Shit, people like that do it all. Right down to the Xanies to chill back out.

Dumb.

blaise
03-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I was at Woodstock (the second of the three) and people were just smoking joints in broad daylight even though there were cops around. There was just too many people for them to arrest people for weed so they ignored it.
I also saw these two dudes put up a crappy little table and then made a sign that said, "Free Breast Painting" and chicks were coming up and taking their tops off and letting these dudes paint little colored circles all over their breasts. Those dudes were genuises.

blaise
03-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think that is right. One of my mp3's says Phish-gin and juice

His name is phisherman, I'm gonna go with what he said.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
just for demonpenz

http://www.phish.net/faq/ginandjuice.html

NewChief
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
His name is phisherman, I'm gonna go with what he said.

I think Demonz is luring you guys in.

rambleonthruthefog
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM

thats not phish you heard singing gin and juice. that is a band out of austin called the gourds. there are lots of people there to make money at phish shows, not all of them fans.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 08:23 AM
I think Demonz is luring you guys in.

probably, but his posts usually entertain me, so be it.

NewChief
03-10-2009, 08:26 AM
thats not phish you heard singing gin and juice. that is a band out of austin called the gourds. there are lots of people there to make money at phish shows, not all of them fans.

The nitrous crews on the east coast are, literally, run by the mafia.

Red Beans
03-10-2009, 09:09 AM

That's actually covered by the Gourds. Phish never did it.

NewChief
03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
That's actually covered by the Gourds. Phish never did it.

Woah. Another Fayettevillain.

eazyb81
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
The June tour is going to be nuts.

Iowanian
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
some nsfw language

live

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_d8_iXw9Bg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_d8_iXw9Bg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Iowanian
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
The cops were gonna finish the paperwork but then they got high....

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm going to the show in St. Louis @ the Fox.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm going to the show in St. Louis @ the Fox.

you lucky bastard.

i tried very hard to score some tickets to that show and came up empty on all counts. we had a bunch of people in that lottery and were completely shut out.
no way i'm paying more than face for those tickets though, i've seen enough of their shows and can't justify the astronomical cost of those shows.

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
The June tour is going to be nuts.

I think the whole thing is SOLD OUT.

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
you lucky bastard.

i tried very hard to score some tickets to that show and came up empty on all counts. we had a bunch of people in that lottery and were completely shut out.
no way i'm paying more than face for those tickets though, i've seen enough of their shows and can't justify the astronomical cost of those shows.

I made a point to only order that show in the lottery. I don't know if it helped but that Live Nation on sale was a fiasco.

eazyb81
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I think the whole thing is SOLD OUT.

Yeah the tickets to their shows are all gone, but Bonnaroo isn't sold out yet.

Still, you can find tickets on Stub Hub, just have to pay out the ass for them. You can also try an "I need a miracle" sign - not sure if that works in this era though. :)

sedated
03-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I remember they had similar problems at Wakarusa a couple years back, then they started hiring private security because the hippies were afraid to come and attendance plumetted.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I made a point to only order that show in the lottery. I don't know if it helped but that Live Nation on sale was a fiasco.

nope, there were at least 10 of us that put in for only that st. louis show and we were all still shut out. totally random.

yes, metrotix was a disaster.

ugh.

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
nope, there were at least 10 of us that put in for only that st. louis show and we were all still shut out. totally random.

yes, metrotix was a disaster.

ugh.

Wow! I guess we were really lucky. The last time I saw them in a venue that small was 11/94 @ Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor.

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
i was at all three nights. it was an awesome time. these shows generatedover 5 mill in economy for the local area alone.

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
i was at all three nights. it was an awesome time. these shows generatedover 5 mill in economy for the local area alone.

Awesome. You know we need a much better report than that. I've downloaded all three shows and have listen to a little bit of the first night. Love the "Fluffhead" opener.:)

phisherman
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
listening to the 3rd night now, overall still a little sloppy, but not nearly as bad as the "trey on heroin" clusterf**k that was coventry.

i thought it would be a good idea for them to permanently shelf Stash and The Curtain after that debacle.

eazyb81
03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Awesome. You know we need a much better report than that. I've downloaded all three shows and have listen to a little bit of the first night. Love the "Fluffhead" opener.:)

Where did you go to download the shows? Gotta link?

phisherman
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.livephish.com/

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Where did you go to download the shows? Gotta link?

Gotta Jibbo?

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
GET MONEY FUCK PHISHES

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
probably more like music fans that got on the bus after Jerry died.

they're all wookies in the long run.

wookies got priced out of these shows. i saw maybe 5 all weekend. it was a bunchof new fans and old fans getting down.

Skip Towne
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
wookies got priced out of these shows. i saw maybe 5 all weekend. it was a bunchof new fans and old fans getting down.

What's a wookie?

phisherman
03-10-2009, 01:36 PM
wookie = hairball hippie

Skip Towne
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
wookie = hairball hippie

Thanks. I was afraid I was one and didn't know it.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
wookie = hairball hippie

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM

It was awesome. They played everything you'd ever want to hear at a show. A few flubs here and there, but not like before. This was my 9, 10, and 11th show at Hampton and they are just as good as my first ones in 97. The jams were tight, the lights were killer, and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. I was in seats the first 2 night and on the floor right near the board in the center on Sunday. They had these huge ballon balls around the top of the place and dropped them during the encores on Friday and Sunday. My favorite was probably the Foam on Sunday. It was the best one I've ever heard. The Theme was awesome as well. From a Jam perspective it didn't get any hotter than the Rock and Roll and Limb by Limb.

I had never seen Fluffhead. I called it half joking, but for some reason I just knew they where going to play first, and the did.

CoMoChief
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Thank you.......I've been trying to tell people this for years.

phisherman
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
love that tune, haven't seen a Fluffhead since 99 in Ames, IA.

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
It was awesome. They played everything you'd ever want to hear at a show. A few flubs here and there, but not like before. This was my 9, 10, and 11th show at Hampton and they are just as good as my first ones in 97. The jams were tight, the lights were killer, and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. I was in seats the first 2 night and on the floor right near the board in the center on Sunday. They had these huge ballon balls around the top of the place and dropped them during the encores on Friday and Sunday. My favorite was probably the Foam on Sunday. It was the best one I've ever heard. The Theme was awesome as well. From a Jam perspective it didn't get any hotter than the Rock and Roll and Limb by Limb.

I had never seen Fluffhead. I called it half joking, but for some reason I just knew they where going to play first, and the did.

Here's a B&W I took from the first night

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh and Phish has never played Gin and Juice. They have plyed getin jiggy with it and they play a song called Bathtub Gin.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
My mp3 says phish gin and juice mp3

Red Beans
03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
It's actually covered by the Gourds although it's commonly mislabled as a Phish cover.

vailpass
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Then how do you explain Penz' mp3 that says "Phish Gin and Juice"?

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
My mp3 says phish gin and juice mp3

its mislabeled.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
hmm I will have to talk to one of my friends he said to download it off I thought the phish website. Maybe Phish Does a cover of the song too? It sounds alot like their Hippy jam bands style LOL

Basileus777
03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
some nsfw language

live

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_d8_iXw9Bg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Just awful.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I think we are thinking of differ

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=s1&oq=Phish%20Gin%20and%20j&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS226US267&q=phish+gin+and+juice+lyricsence songs

Red Beans
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I know that the Gourds released it on an album back in the late 90's. Phish may have done it too but I've heard from numerous places that Phish never did it.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
duuude, my pipe..

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah i think phish did it i got 100 plus results for "Lyrics to phish" gin and juice

StcChief
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
tough economy ... cops are going for any/everything they can get.

NewChief
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
yeah i think phish did it i got 100 plus results for "Lyrics to phish" gin and juice

They've never done it, and I'm still not conviced that you're not just trying to see how long people will argue with you while you know full well the real story.

Assuming you're being serious, as others said, it started on Napster and was widely traded as a Phish cover, when it was, in reality, the Gourds. First of all, AFAIK, no member of Phish has never played a mandolin in concert or in the studio (despite doing several bluegrass covers, though you could probably make a case that it's Jamie Masefield from Jazz Mandolin Project standing in for the song), and that cover features a mandolin prominently. This misconception has been around since about 1996, I think, and is pretty widely known among the music trading community as well as the Phish community (which is why I think you probably know the "truth"). I've seen Phish over 30 times and sadly the band was my life for quite a few years. I'm pretty confident in (not to mention disturbed by) my knowledge on this subject.

Demonpenz
03-10-2009, 05:58 PM
SONIC BOOM!

phisherman
03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
pretty crazy how one mislabeled mp3 could hang around for so long.

stlchiefs
03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
LMAO at penz LMAO

Sfeihc
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
You guys are missing it.............penz was the one who originally mislabeled it.:)

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
hmm I will have to talk to one of my friends he said to download it off I thought the phish website. Maybe Phish Does a cover of the song too? It sounds alot like their Hippy jam bands style LOL

Phish has never played it ever. You can check the setlist database at setlist.com. search from 88 to 09.

Skip Towne
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Phish has never played it ever. You can check the setlist database at setlist.com. search from 88 to 09.

Demonpenis is playin' you guys like a fiddle. He did a great job

Ebolapox
03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
ROFL

penz is a goddamned genius

KcMizzou
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
ROFL

penz is a goddamned geniusIt's time for a victory song.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nr_CJL1YQRc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nr_CJL1YQRc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Red Beans
03-11-2009, 06:23 AM
They've never done it, and I'm still not conviced that you're not just trying to see how long people will argue with you while you know full well the real story.

Assuming you're being serious, as others said, it started on Napster and was widely traded as a Phish cover, when it was, in reality, the Gourds. First of all, AFAIK, no member of Phish has never played a mandolin in concert or in the studio (despite doing several bluegrass covers, though you could probably make a case that it's Jamie Masefield from Jazz Mandolin Project standing in for the song), and that cover features a mandolin prominently. This misconception has been around since about 1996, I think, and is pretty widely known among the music trading community as well as the Phish community (which is why I think you probably know the "truth"). I've seen Phish over 30 times and sadly the band was my life for quite a few years. I'm pretty confident in (not to mention disturbed by) my knowledge on this subject.

Exfuckingactly...

Demonpenz
03-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Did anyone notice my open tabs on my google search screenshot attachment?

Delano
03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
This has been awesome.

UPDATE: MARCH 11--The return of Phish to the concert stage has been a welcome development for both fans of the jam band and police. During a series of concerts last weekend in Hampton, Virginia, authorities arrested nearly 200 Phish fans, most for possession or distribution of narcotics (cops reported seizing $68,000 and illegal drugs with a purported street value of--exactly!--$1,213,882.80). On the following pages you'll find a mug shot sampler of the Phish fans nabbed during the March 6-8 "multi-jurisdictional operation" overseen by the Hampton Police Division.

PICTURES HERE CLICK NOW (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0311091phish1.html)

NewChief
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
A friend just sent me these pics from the Red Roof Inn in Hampton:

http://www.lolstash.com/images/3ygvzbh8h51ml0nszn5m.png
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/skinnybud/CIMG8752.jpg

Nitrous mafia in full effect.