PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What vitamins/supplements do you take?

MIAdragon
03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Im sure I don’t get enough of what I need through my piss poor diet, so I’ve been taking some vitamins. I wanted to know if there are more/better vitamins/supplements that you could recommend. What are you taking and why? Do brands really matter? Here is what Im taking.

One A Day Energy

Vit D 400IU
Vit C 500MG
Zinc 50MG

keg in kc
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I take one a day men's. That's pretty much it.

Katipan
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Niacin for the rush.

angelo
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Morning
enteric coated fish oil
super b-complex
coenzyme q10
green tea
restervol
glucosamine + condroitin
vitamin d
costco multi vitamin
ginko bilabo
low dose aspirin

At Night
fish oil
melatonin
glucosamine
green tea

Ang

foxman
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Complete B
Multivitamin
Calcium
2 Fish oil/Flaxseed oils
Zinc
Low dose Aspirin

Seems like there is another one but I can't recall...not for memory obviously.

Edit, I take all mine at night.

keg in kc
03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Morning
enteric coated fish oil
super b-complex
coenzyme q10
green tea
restervol
glucosamine + condroitin
vitamin d
costco multi vitamin
ginko bilabo
low dose aspirin

At Night
fish oil
melatonin
glucosamine
green tea

AngGood lord. That's quite a list.

Iowanian
03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I snort lines of ripped fuel with my hangdown part.

It makes my unit look like Scott Steiner's bicep with a purple volcano on top.

most vitamins give me a belly ache though.

angelo
03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Good lord. That's quite a list.

You know it starts with a multi vitamin and the next thing you know your robbing a GNC.

I blame my wife.

Ang

keg in kc
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
most vitamins give me a belly ache though.Yeah. That used to happen to me. I make sure now that I take my one-a-day with a glass of milk after at least a full bowl of oatmeal. Haven't had a problem recently.

luv
03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
You guys do know that most of the multi-vitamins you take pass right through you without absorbing much, right?

If you need iron, your best best would be to take an iron supplement. Calcium? Calcium supplement. Vitamin E? Vitamin E supplement. And so on.

Johnny Vegas
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
GNC Mega Men

Rooster
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
mostly just beer.

DeepSouth
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
mostly just beer.
ditto. two or three times a week.

jidar
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
You guys do know that most of the multi-vitamins you take pass right through you without absorbing much, right?

If you need iron, your best best would be to take an iron supplement. Calcium? Calcium supplement. Vitamin E? Vitamin E supplement. And so on.

People say that, then I'm like "but if you need more than 1 might as well get them in a multi vitamin if it's in there"

StcChief
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
mostly just beer.It's good for you, especially the real beer....

and Fish oil, Vitamin E

bdeg
03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Niacin for the rush.

Ya, that sunburn feeling is great!

DaFace
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I take one a day men's. That's pretty much it.

Esto.

keg in kc
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Esto.http://esto.nasa.gov/

KChiefs1
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Multivitamin
Calcium
Chromium Picolinate 1000mg
Green Tea Extract
Conjugated Linoleic Acid 3.4g
B6

Miles
03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Sam's Club generic version of Centrum.

LocoChiefsFan
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Morning
enteric coated fish oil
super b-complex
coenzyme q10
green tea
restervol
glucosamine + condroitin
vitamin d
costco multi vitamin
ginko bilabo
low dose aspirin

At Night
fish oil
melatonin
glucosamine
green tea

Ang

this

BWillie
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
For what is gained for most vitamins and supplements, its not worth the money IMO. I'm sure it can probably depend on the circumstances but they just don't do it for me. I guess if your diet is terrible and you are lacking in certain needs, they certainly won't hurt though.

I like to lift though, so I take supplements. I only take them because they are quicker and easier to make than whole food. I take Muscle Juice, which is a type of high in protein weight gainer that will probably kill me someday. I take 100% whey protein and creatine. I buy alot of EAS protein bars as well.

On a single day I usually eat this much in supplements...
1 protein bar
3 scoops of 100% whey protein
1.5 servings of Muscle Juice (1600 calories)
1 serving of Creatine

If I had a personal chef or a wife that prepared me meals on my command I would drop it all and only take the Creatine

The Franchise
03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
GNC Mega Men

Dis.

rocks
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Adocare MNS daily. Keeps me going and has all the stuff I'm supposed to take.

Silock
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
lol here we go:

Morning & Night:

NOW Eco Green Multi
NOW Full Spectrum Vitamins and Minerals
2000mg EPA Fish Oil
400 IU Vitamin D
500mg Vitamin C
45mg Pycnogenol
1g Ginseng
500mg Gingko Biloba
1000mg Maca
500mg Tribulus
2000mg Virgin Coconut Oil

whoman69
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Multivitamin
Healthy Eyes

ChiefsFan4Life
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Morning:

Fish Oil
Sugar-Free Red Bull

Evening:

Fish Oil

Herzig
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Generic Sam's Multivitamin
Lipitor(aggressive preventative for horrible family heart disease history)
Niacin
Omega 3 fish oil
Flax Seed Oil
Resveratrol
81 mg baby Aspirin

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
For what is gained for most vitamins and supplements, its not worth the money IMO. I'm sure it can probably depend on the circumstances but they just don't do it for me. I guess if your diet is terrible and you are lacking in certain needs, they certainly won't hurt though.

I like to lift though, so I take supplements. I only take them because they are quicker and easier to make than whole food. I take Muscle Juice, which is a type of high in protein weight gainer that will probably kill me someday. I take 100% whey protein and creatine. I buy alot of EAS protein bars as well.

On a single day I usually eat this much in supplements...
1 protein bar
3 scoops of 100% whey protein
1.5 servings of Muscle Juice (1600 calories)
1 serving of Creatine

If I had a personal chef or a wife that prepared me meals on my command I would drop it all and only take the Creatine

Have fun with dialysis.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I believe in taking care of myself, in a
balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the
morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice
pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand
now.

irishjayhawk
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
lol here we go:

Morning & Night:

NOW Eco Green Multi
NOW Full Spectrum Vitamins and Minerals
2000mg EPA Fish Oil
400 IU Vitamin D
500mg Vitamin C
45mg Pycnogenol
1g Ginseng
500mg Gingko Biloba
1000mg Maca
500mg Tribulus
2000mg Virgin Coconut Oil

How much is that costing you? Also, isn't ginseng bad for you?

Delano
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I believe in taking care of myself, in a
balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the
morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice
pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand
now.

Well, you can always be thinner - look better.

Simply Red
03-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Actually, that's none of your business, irishjayhawk,
but I can assure you they certainly were not cheap.

beach tribe
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Vitamin HGH.

Silock
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Not much. Most of that is cheap, in the $5 for 120 pill range.

And it depends on the ginseng, but no, it's not *bad* for you. It's recommended for some types of ginseng that you cycle on and off of it, but that's never been conclusively proven to do anything.

Silock
03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Actually, that's none of your business, irishjayhawk,
but I can assure you they certainly were not cheap.

For how long one bottle lasts, yeah, it actually is quite cheap.

Delano
03-10-2009, 09:45 PM
For how long one bottle lasts, yeah, it actually is quite cheap.

There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize that Silock's vitamin regimen includes Virgin Coconut Oil... and is obviously more expensive than mine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Fortunately, the supplement industry is only slightly less regulated than the meat packing plants of 1905.

irishjayhawk
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Fortunately, the supplement industry is only slightly less regulated than the meat packing plants of 1905.

Sad thing is everyone knows this but nobody cares.

Ebolapox
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
fish/flaxseed/borage oils (one tab/day)
garlic (4x day)
multivitamin

I've thought about adding restervol, but haven't yet for some reason. I've taken ginko biloba in the past, but it's made me lightheaded when I've had to take a tylenol for a headache (ginko is a blood thinner, and that + asprin is a shitty combination)

neuf08
04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I also know that I don't get what I need nutritionally from my diet, so I take a few supplements:

a good multi
fish oil
probiotic
vitamin e

I get all of my supplements online, so that helps with the cost. I do invest in good brands, especially for my multi, fish oil, and probiotic. For the vitamin e, I get the gelcaps, and those typically absorb pretty well.

Delano
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I also know that I don't get what I need nutritionally from my diet, so I take a few supplements:

a good multi
fish oil
probiotic
vitamin e

I get all of my supplements online, so that helps with the cost. I do invest in good brands, especially for my multi, fish oil, and probiotic. For the vitamin e, I get the gelcaps, and those typically absorb pretty well.

WTF Spam?

Ecto-I
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I generally eat very healthy, but like to supplement with specific supplements that suit my lifestyle.

Carnosine (anti-aging, free radical fighter)
Grape Seed Extract (ditto)
Glutamine (Muscle recovery since I lift weights)
Enriched Whey Protein Isolate (ditto)
Costco Multi
Glucosamine (I run and play sports alot, so this helps the joints)
Arginine (Circulation. Assists in muscle repair)
Fish Oil (for the most important muscle in the body!)

Saulbadguy
04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Wow - cogent reply. I'm impressed.

gblowfish
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I take a multivitamin plus glucosamine for bad knees in the morning, plus a claritin, low dose aspirin and three daily scripts from the doc. Yummy with OJ. Sucks getting old, man. When you're young you think it might be fun to take drugs. Now I just wish I didn't need them.

Sometimes I take Melatonin at night to help me sleep. Works pretty good, but leaves me a little groggy in the morning.

Jenson71
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I get the feeling that some people here don't realize there are vitamins in the actual food that you (should be) eat(ing).

Groves
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
all bacon, all the time.

Demonpenz
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I end up taking some because my doctor recommended it because I hate veggies unless it is fries or something. So I try to put peas in my mac and cheese and hold my breath if a bunch of them are coming off my spoon

macdawg
04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I work and go to school full time, no time for homecooked meals anymore so 3-5 days a week I do take a multi-vitamin and I consistently try to eat nutricious food and excercise. I also take a vitamin c pill once or twice a week for a little extra vitamin c.

Thinking about adding in a fish oil or omega 3 pill or liquid supplement, and possibly buy a small bottle of creatine for this summer.

KCChiefsMan
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I usually take Echinacea, Vit C and Garlic pills.

Groves
04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Omega acid is the Oat Bran of 2009.

If you think reading about nutrition is dull, here's one that makes some good points as well as entertains.

http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=87

Joie
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
All per my doctor:

Morning:
Calcium
Cranberry

Night:
Prenatal Vitamin
Cranberry

BWillie
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast.

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Glutamine (Muscle recovery since I lift weights)

Glutamine is pretty ineffective for this. Look into time-released Beta Alanine.

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I get the feeling that some people here don't realize there are vitamins in the actual food that you (should be) eat(ing).

I get the feeling that some people don't realize that the food we eat today is severely lacking in the nutrient value that it should have.

Fairplay
04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I get the feeling that some people don't realize that the food we eat today is severely lacking in the nutrient value that it should have.

I agree,

I like your other avatar Silock.

Ecto-I
04-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Glutamine is pretty ineffective for this. Look into time-released Beta Alanine.

Really? Just curious where you heard this / how you know this. Every source I've read claim that Glutamine is very influential in muscle recovery.

Fat Elvis
04-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Generic Sam's Multivitamin
Lipitor(aggressive preventative for horrible family heart disease history)
Niacin
Omega 3 fish oil
Flax Seed Oil
Resveratrol
81 mg baby Aspirin

Pretty close to what I take as well...
Drop the Flax seed oil and aspirin and add:
Vitamin B complex
Glucosamine
I guess Resvinatrol rather than resveratrol (all sounds the same after a while)

Jenson71
04-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Just be a smart consumer. If a person has a balanced diet, follows the food pyramid, and does a little exercise, they'll be fine. Unless you have some deficiency, there's little reason to take more than one multi-vitamin pill a day. Is that wrong?

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Really? Just curious where you heard this / how you know this. Every source I've read claim that Glutamine is very influential in muscle recovery.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/glutamine_destroying_the_dogma_part_1

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/glutamine_destroying_the_dogma_part_2

googlegoogle
04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Morning
enteric coated fish oil
super b-complex
coenzyme q10
green tea
restervol
glucosamine + condroitin
vitamin d
costco multi vitamin
ginko bilabo
low dose aspirin

At Night
fish oil
melatonin
glucosamine
green tea

Ang

Hey thats cool you take Resveratrol. I don't want to see you get gyped. Resveratrol I heard in the supplements isn't biologically active meaning it's not potent.

-Multivitamin
-Vitamin D.
-Fish oil.

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Just be a smart consumer. If a person has a balanced diet, follows the food pyramid, and does a little exercise, they'll be fine. Unless you have some deficiency, there's little reason to take more than one multi-vitamin pill a day. Is that wrong?

The food pyramid is a bit outdated, for starters. Secondly, that has little to do with the fact that the actual food items we consume are not as nutritious as they should be. If you believe that you're getting enough nutrients from the food you eat, why take a multi-vitamin at all?

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey thats cool you take Resveratrol. I don't want to see you get gyped. Resveratrol I heard in the supplements isn't biologically active meaning it's not potent.

Some are, some aren't. Depends on the supplement.

Jenson71
04-14-2009, 11:41 PM
The food pyramid is a bit outdated, for starters. Secondly, that has little to do with the fact that the actual food items we consume are not as nutritious as they should be. If you believe that you're getting enough nutrients from the food you eat, why take a multi-vitamin at all?

To make sure, I guess. There's a difference between $50/month on vitamin supplements and 1 multi-vitamin a day. Oh well. I guess it's better than $50/month on cocaine.

Silock
04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
If you're spending $50/month on vitamin supplements, you're shopping at the WRONG places.

BWillie
04-15-2009, 01:19 AM

I used to read all this garbage about supplements. Glutamine, b12, anabolic stimulus pills, zinc, carnitine, all kinds of vitamins bla bla bla. I used to spend my money on this sh*t and I never saw any better noticeable results.

I don't know what is good for losing weight, because luckily, I've never had that problem. My main goal has always been to have as much lean muscle mass as possible and to be as strong as possible. And actually, the strongest and best I've ever looked IMO was a couple years ago when I ate mcdonalds, donuts, and junk food all day. Gave me enough calories to stay strong, and got my weight up to 195. It bumped my body fat up probably a 1%, but with the extra 10 lbs of muscle on me you really couldn't even notice.

Only supplement that seems to undoubtedly work where I actually can notice anything is Creatine. Hands down, best out there, old school. Now, I still spend my money on whey protein and a knock off cytogainer supplement, but I only use them because I don't have enough time to make enough food. If I had a cook or didn't have a job, I wouldn't have really any need for much whey protein. Sure whey is the best protein there is, but I don't think it's going to make much difference as long as you are getting enough quality protein in your diet. I also think it's funny when people spend an extra $100 for a "special" type of whey protein isolate when you can get one almost as good for way cheaper.

One thing I did use when I wanted to get real cut for a spring break was use clenbuterol. That stuff worked wonders, but I know it is horrible to use on a regular basis. I've read it will eventually lead to an enlarged heart.

KCrockaholic
04-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Intra-Vol is the best workout supplement out there today. Impressive stuff. Anyone else use this?

Bevan1
02-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Vitamins & minerals are actually very essential for any human being, especially for veggies. Vitamins and minerals supplementation could be your solution to alleviate your deficiency of these vital nutrients and help you maintain healthy skin and body. But this regimen could be expensive. Eating fruits and vegetables is another option but modern production of fruits and vegetables have decreased their nutrition contents.

02-10-2010, 05:39 AM
This is an interesting bump.

ChiefHusker
02-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Max Muscles Full Blown extreme and whey protein.
Beer
women
and Bacon

phisherman
02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I used to read all this garbage about supplements. Glutamine, b12, anabolic stimulus pills, zinc, carnitine, all kinds of vitamins bla bla bla. I used to spend my money on this sh*t and I never saw any better noticeable results.

I don't know what is good for losing weight, because luckily, I've never had that problem. My main goal has always been to have as much lean muscle mass as possible and to be as strong as possible. And actually, the strongest and best I've ever looked IMO was a couple years ago when I ate mcdonalds, donuts, and junk food all day. Gave me enough calories to stay strong, and got my weight up to 195. It bumped my body fat up probably a 1%, but with the extra 10 lbs of muscle on me you really couldn't even notice.

Only supplement that seems to undoubtedly work where I actually can notice anything is Creatine. Hands down, best out there, old school. Now, I still spend my money on whey protein and a knock off cytogainer supplement, but I only use them because I don't have enough time to make enough food. If I had a cook or didn't have a job, I wouldn't have really any need for much whey protein. Sure whey is the best protein there is, but I don't think it's going to make much difference as long as you are getting enough quality protein in your diet. I also think it's funny when people spend an extra $100 for a "special" type of whey protein isolate when you can get one almost as good for way cheaper.

One thing I did use when I wanted to get real cut for a spring break was use clenbuterol. That stuff worked wonders, but I know it is horrible to use on a regular basis. I've read it will eventually lead to an enlarged heart.

have you ever been wrong before?

DaKCMan AP
02-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Calcium + vitamin D
Fish oil omega 3
B complex

burt
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
High Blood pressure meds
High Cholesterol med
Occasional Viagra to create sleepless nights.

kepp
02-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Vitamins B, C & D plus a generic multi-vitamin. And since my wife and I started taking vitamin D (maybe 4 months ago), we haven't been sick. It really seems to be doing some good.

SenselessChiefsFan
02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I take calcium + vitamin D. I take vitamin C. I take a men's daily vitamin and a women's daily vitamin.

I drink Six Star protein shakes with milk.

Before workouts, I take NO Shotgun, and I take NO Synthesize after my workouts.

Silock
02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Why the FUCK are you taking a women's multi?

Kyle DeLexus
02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Why the **** are you taking a women's multi?

That's a good question. Why the fuck ARE you taking a women's multi?

Kyle DeLexus
02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
If you're spending $50/month on vitamin supplements, you're shopping at the WRONG places.

Where you get yours at? Go local or Internet?

Silock
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Internet. DPSnutrition or bodybuilding.com

Somtimes amazon.com has them for even cheaper.

Bevan1
02-26-2010, 03:34 AM
It is important to know whether what kind of vitamins you consume. Vitamin D,ZInc is the necessary food. I consume those a lot. Even drinking lot of water and consuming vegetables is also good.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Internet. DPSnutrition or bodybuilding.com

Somtimes amazon.com has them for even cheaper.

MassNutrition (www.massnutrition.com) has even better discounts.

Silock
02-26-2010, 03:54 AM
MassNutrition (www.massnutrition.com) has even better discounts.

Sometimes, but their website sucks, and they don't carry the brands of some things I order. Plus, every time you order from bodybuilding.com, they send you a 10% off coupon, so it ends up being the same price.

BTW, here's an updated list since I was experimenting with some of the other supplements.

Morning/Post-workout;
NOW A.D.A.M (men's multi)
NOW Super EPA (Fish oil with 720 mg EPA and 480 mh DHA per serving)
1000 mg Vitamin C
500mg Magnesium
2000 IU Vitamin D3

Evening:
NOW A.D.A.M
NOW Super EPA
2000 IU Vitamin D

I was experimenting with the Maca, Ginseng, Pycnogenol, Virgin Coconut Oil and Tribulus. My conclusion is that they all did jack shit for me. Experiment over.

BigCatDaddy
02-26-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a pretty smart guy when it comes to supplements recommend this stuff to me. A bit pricey, but I might give them a shot. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/le/mix.html

neuf08
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it is a smart idea to take some supplements on a daily basis. Even those who eat a very balanced and nutritious diet can have difficulty getting everything they really need. Plus, most of the foods we eat now are not as nutritious as they should be due to nutrient depleted soil. Anyway, a good quality multivitamin is definitely a good idea. And men should take one specifically designed for men, and the same is true for women. I found a great one by Rainbow Light. They make two different ones called Men's One and Women's One, so they are a one a day vitamin (you can get them both from seacoastvitamins.com). Rainbow Light makes food based vitamins, as opposed to synthetic ones. So they are more readily digested and absorbed by the body. In addition to that, I also take a probiotic, fish oil, and B Complex on a daily basis.

MOhillbilly
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
fish oil,calcium,vit c,iron, & beer.

Silock
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Unnecessary, IMO.

http://fitexcellence.com/2010/05/multi-vitamin-mania/

BIG_DADDY
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Multi vitamin/min Twin Labs
C with Bioflavs 2000mgs Twin Labs
D 2,000IU's Liquid Biotics Research or Source Naturals
Krill oil 500 mgs Source Natuals
Resveratrol 1040 mg liquid. Now switching to Natures Answer
Ubiquinol 200mgs Healthy Origins

Next month I will probably add Tumeric.

Alton deFlat
06-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Centrum Silver Ultra Men's

keg in kc
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
One a day men's, fish oil and a prostate mix (family history...).

I wonder if I already said that on here somewhere. Too lazy to look.

KC Jones
06-23-2010, 04:36 PM
multi-vitamin
niacin

I also sometimes drink a protein shake or have a balance/zone/whatever bar. That's just to make it easier to eat 5-6 small meals/day without making 3-4 lunches for work.