PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet 'Fight club' probed at home for disabled

MIAdragon
03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Sounds like what goes on in the Draft Planet.

Seven employees suspended at state-run school in Texas; charges expected

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Seven employees of a state-run home for the mentally disabled in Texas have been suspended for staging fights between residents who were forced to shove, punch and strike each other, authorities said Tuesday.

Police learned of the fights when someone gave a cell phone containing videos of the brawls at the Corpus Christi State School to an off-duty officer on Friday, police Captain Tim Wilson said by phone from Corpus Christi, in the southern part of the state.

"Workers were running their own fight club using clients. It's pretty appalling that someone would think of this," he said.

In the videos, which show several fights dating back to 2007, mentally disabled male residents can be seen fighting each other while the employees watch. In one video, a disabled resident raises his hands in victory after a bout, Wilson said.

"It's pretty appalling. I've been in police work over 30 years and I've never anything like this," he said. "These people who were charged with caring for these clients were exploiting them for entertainment."

Charges expected
Police expect to file charges later this week, said Wilson. Most of the employees seen in the videos have been identified, he said.

Laura Albrecht, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, which oversees the institutions known as state schools, said the videos show seven current and four former employees. The current employees have been placed on emergency leave pending the investigation.

"Any abuse or neglect of residents placed in our care will not be tolerated," said Albrecht.

These are the latest in a spate of abuse allegations against state school employees in recent years.

A 2008 federal report cited 53 deaths linked to preventable conditions at the institutions. The report also called hundreds of reports of abuse and injuries to patients "disturbingly high."

Mr. Flopnuts
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm going to hell, but I LAWLED when I read this on teh intraweb earlier.

MIAdragon
03-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm going to hell, but I LAWLED when I read this on teh intraweb earlier.

:mad: (me too)

Hammock Parties
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
This is just the natural progression from Bum Fights. Tard Fights.

Sam Hall
03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Somebody broke the first rule of fight club.

Don't talk about fight club.

CoMoChief
03-10-2009, 07:11 PM

LMAO

ferrarispider95
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM

LMAO

FAX
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
In the state known for its one lone star
Some dumbasses arranged a spar
It was quite a bout
'Till the champ was knocked out
With a left to the lobotomy scar

FAX

Rain Man
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
This reminds me of the Christmas where my uncle gave boxing gloves to all of the kids. You can't tell me he didn't know what would happen next.

cdcox
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
This reminds me of the Christmas where my uncle gave boxing gloves to all of the kids. You can't tell me he didn't know what would happen next.

My friend got boxing gloves for Christmas one year. I was the skinny kid who had the reach and could land a lot of punches. He was the heavier kid who packed a wallop. Neither one of us had a bit of skill or coaching, so it was just a matter of trading blows as fast as we could. We were both seeing stars after about a minute. I don't think boxing gloves are a very good toy.