PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft why has this TE dropped???

kcbubb
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Has anybody watched Jared Cook from South Carolina play? I watched him play a few times and he was ridiculously good when I saw him. I think the QBs at South Carolina really hurt him. He really blew up at the combine too.. He was first in the 40, vertical, and broad jump and he only did 4 things at the combine. so he was 3 for 4 at being first. and he is 6'5" and 246. it looks like he could put on some weight.

4.50 forty
23 reps on the bench
41'' vertical
10'3" broad jump

Here's an overview from nfl.com/combine

Blessed with the combination of size and speed that led Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier to compare him to Detroit Lions star Calvin Johnson, Cook has the tools every scouting director is looking for in the new prototype NFL tight end. Despite less than eye-popping statistics (37 receptions for 573 yards and three touchdowns), Cook was nonetheless recognized by SEC coaches as a first-team all-conference selection in 2008 - perhaps due to his potential as a nightmare matchup for defenses. With steadier quarterback play by the Gamecocks, many believe Cook could have enjoyed a truly breakout performance. If he works out as well at the NFL Combine as he reportedly did for South Carolina coaches, the redshirt junior won't have to wait long to hear his name called on draft day. Had an arm span of 35 3/4 inches and a hand span of 10 1/4 inches at the combine.

If he fell to mid 2nd round, I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs traded Tony G. for a 2nd rounder and picked him. I would really miss Tony and I don't think Cook would have the immediate production that Tony would provide, but it seems like it would be a better long term solution to the TE position.

Mecca
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Jared Cook is my favorite TE prospect, I'd rather have him than Pettigrew...

kcbubb
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
seen him play? he must be a terrible blocker??? dude could catch it when I watched him play.

htismaqe
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
We need to pick a TE somewhere in this draft, and Cook is a great prospect.

keg in kc
03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
We need to pick a TE somewhere in this draft, and Cook is a great prospect.Yeah, we need to replace the crushing loss of Michael Merritt.

bdeg
03-12-2009, 03:50 PM

You don't like Cottam?

Mecca
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I think Cook will end up sneaking his way into the back of the 1st round, I'd say possible Eagles pick.

Cook is a converted WR so he has outstanding receiving skills and obviously isn't a top notch blocker. But if you gave me the choice of what Cook is and what Pettigrew is I'd rather have the receiver that can grow into a blocker than the blocker that can only minimally improve as a receiver.

kcbubb
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
i like Cottam... but I was thinking that it would be good long term move to trade Tony G. for a 2nd rounder and take Cook. basically, trade Tony for Cook.

kcbubb
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I think Cook will end up sneaking his way into the back of the 1st round, I'd say possible Eagles pick.

Cook is a converted WR so he has outstanding receiving skills and obviously isn't a top notch blocker. But if you gave me the choice of what Cook is and what Pettigrew is I'd rather have the receiver that can grow into a blocker than the blocker that can only minimally improve as a receiver.

I agree... especially when you already have a big blocking TE like Cottam on your team. Would you trade Tony for Cook??? straight up?

Bill Lundberg
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
He pulled his hammy running the fourty at the combine I believe

Chief Henry
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Make that Marv Cook and your on to something ;)

CoMoChief
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Seems like we draft a TE in every draft since i can remember

DaKCMan AP
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree... especially when you already have a big blocking TE like Cottam on your team. Would you trade Tony for Cook??? straight up?

Cottam is tall but he wasn't drafted to be a "big blocking TE".

CoMoChief
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I'd rather take Coffman in the 3rd, and keep Tony G

Run 3 TE splits, line up LJ and Charles in a wishbone and **** the universe up.

Reaper16
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Pioli seems to draft a fair share of TE, historically.

Blick
03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Cottam is tall but he wasn't drafted to be a "big blocking TE".

Yeah. Cottam is a soft big guy.

I like Cook...don't like the idea of trading Tony, though.

DaKCMan AP
03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah. Cottam is a soft big guy.

I like Cook...don't like the idea of trading Tony, though.

If he can stay healthy, improve route running and get playing time I think Cottam could develop into a more athletic Jason Witten type player. Don't know that he'd be as consistent as Witten, but he has that kind of potential.

Mecca
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Why does every thread always revert into some Missouri player thread?

Blick
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
If he can stay healthy, improve route running and get playing time I think Cottam could develop into a more athletic Jason Witten type player. Don't know that he'd be as consistent as Witten, but he has that kind of potential.

Yeah, I like his potential as well. Staying healthy is the big key.

beach tribe
03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Looks like his #s are the reason he's fallen.

Mecca
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Strengths:
Extremely athletic...Ideal height with long arms and legs...Still has room to add more weight...Outstanding speed and quickness...Great acceleration with a burst...Excellent hands...Great ball skills and body control...Phenomenal leaper with a 41-inch vertical...Elusive and will do some damage after the catch...Smooth and is a decent route runner...Can stretch the seam and be a vertical threat...Tons of upside.

Weaknesses:
Offers little or nothing as a blocker...Marginal instincts...Has to get stronger...Needs to continue bulking up...Overall toughness has been questioned...Will lose focus at times...Still very raw and relies heavily on natural talent...Didn't play in a pro style offense...Bit of a 'tweener.

Notes:
Brother, Jason Cook, played fullback at Ole Miss and is also a 2009 NFL Draft prospect...Redshirted in 2005...Began his college career as a wide receiver...Was hampered by a foot injury in 2008 but didn't miss any action...Workout Warrior who doesn't always play up to his impressive measurables...Might still be a better athlete than football player...A wide receiver in a tight end's body...One-dimensional pass catching threat with intriguing physical tools and a world of potential.