PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports How did OU get a higher seed than KU or MU?

chris
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
OK; I admit I don't watch NC2A BB until March, so pardon my stupidity.

How does OU get a higher seed that the the regular and post season champs?

thanks

Saulbadguy
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
OK; I admit I don't watch NC2A BB until March, so pardon my stupidity.

They had a higher RPI, and had less bad losses.

luv
03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
People are lined up to jerk off BG.

I heard that they would have been in the fight for a 1 seed had they won the tournament.

Sam Hall
03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I realize Blake Griffin as out, but OU tanked down the stretch. Mizzou should be playing at the Sprint Center.

kcfanXIII
03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I realize Blake Griffin as out, but OU tanked down the stretch. Mizzou should be playing at the Sprint Center.

this. mu now has to get through UCONN and memphis to advance to final four. not so sure i would pick them regardless of who they play, but that's kinda deflating, you know?

KcMizzou
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
I realize Blake Griffin as out, but OU tanked down the stretch. Mizzou should be playing at the Sprint Center.And they had Griffin when Mizzou beat 'em head to head.

beer bacon
03-15-2009, 06:02 PM
They played a great non-conference schedule. When you hear all this "body of work" talk, that is just code for non-conference. The non-conference is more important than conference play.

kstater
03-15-2009, 06:07 PM
I'll keep posting it, because this is what the committee looks at.

Team A: 25-7, RPI 11, SOS 21, record vs top 50: 9-3

Team B: 27-5, RPI 6, SOS 24, record vs RPI top 50: 10-4

Team C: 27-6, RPI 10, SOS 39, record vs top 50: 7-4

Boyceofsummer
03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
The committee did not need to choose between KU & MU at the Sprint Center. Imagine the bitching that would have transpired with that scenario.

beer bacon
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM

This is what they should have looked at when seeding Oklahoma. In Oklahoma's last ten games of the season, they played six games against top 50 RPI teams: Kansas, MU, Texas, Ok. State (2), and Texas A&M. They went 2-4 in those games. Oklahoma's guard play fell apart at the end of the season.

ROYC75
03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Should have been MU by this chart.

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

kstater
03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Should have been MU by this chart.

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

Based on that chart Mizzou would still be a 3 seed and Gonzaga and WVU would be 2 seeds.

ROYC75
03-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Based on that chart Mizzou would still be a 3 seed and Gonzaga and WVU would be 2 seeds.

If one was to go by the chart all by itself, I was only using it for reference on the argument of OU,KU,and MU being in KC.

teedubya
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
well, they probably made sure that the Sprint Center tickets won't sell out... probably a bad financial idea...

58-4ever
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
OU struggled mightily at the end of the season. But, they ran through quite a few games before they hit a wall. I like their chances in the tournament. Although, I think Mizzou could definitely make the Final Four with a good run.

DeezNutz
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM

What this shows, though, is that the committee was looking at three comparable teams.

What they obviously didn't give a fuck about, however, is rewarding either A.) the reg. season champ or B.) the conf. tournament champ.

In sum, I say fuck the worthless committee.

KcMizzou
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
OU struggled mightily at the end of the season. But, they ran through quite a few games before they hit a wall. I like their chances in the tournament. Although, I think Mizzou could definitely make the Final Four with a good run.Wow, that'd be nice.

I'd be happy to see 'em get to the Sweet Sixteen. Hell, I'm happy with the season already, but we fans are greedy. :)

KcMizzou
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
What this shows, though, is that the committee was looking at three comparable teams.

What they obviously didn't give a **** about, however, is rewarding either A.) the reg. season champ or B.) the conf. tournament champ.

In sum, I say **** the worthless committee.That's true. According to them, both the regular season title, and tourney title are meaningless.

I think it's a bad idea to devalue conference play.

Sure-Oz
03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
well, they probably made sure that the Sprint Center tickets won't sell out... probably a bad financial idea...

Exactly...

I really would've liked to go if MU made it

DeezNutz
03-15-2009, 07:28 PM
That's true. According to them, both the regular season title, and tourney title are meaningless.

I think it's a bad idea to devalue conference play.

It's terrible.

KU had the better resume on paper, but one could understand if the committee went with MU. Given the current economic situation, either would have been a logical choice for KC.

Instead, the situation was fucked up on pretty much every level.

Normally, I root for all Big 12 teams throughout the tournament, but, if OU gets bounced early, I'll smile.

BWillie
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Are there even any OU fans that think they deserve a higher seed than KU and MU? I'd like to see who they are

Sure-Oz
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
It's terrible.

KU had the better resume on paper, but one could understand if the committee went with MU. Given the current economic situation, either would have been a logical choice for KC.

Instead, the situation was ****ed up on pretty much every level.

Normally, I root for all Big 12 teams throughout the tournament, but, if OU gets bounced early, I'll smile.

I hope OU gets fucking owned

DeezNutz
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I hope OU gets ****ing owned

LMAO

My man Sure-Oz not fucking around. I like it.

petegz28
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
It would of been better for everything had MU been in KC. This is bullshit. OU was not good when it mattered.

Molitoth
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
OU is a big pile of steaming crap.

ROYC75
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM

It was already sold out to start with, didn't matter who played.

Sure-Oz
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
LMAO

My man Sure-Oz not ****ing around. I like it.

Damn right, im pissed, MU and KU deserved it way more:cuss:

Sam Hall
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
It makes even less sense considering Duke and North Carolina play in Greensboro every year.

HC_Chief
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
OU struggled mightily at the end of the season. But, they ran through quite a few games before they hit a wall. I like their chances in the tournament. Although, I think Mizzou could definitely make the Final Four with a good run.

I hate to shit on your parade (oh f*ck it, no I don't), but what in the *#&$% makes you think that? MU has NEVER made a FF. They have a nasty bracket: they would have to get through Memphis and UConn to make it that far.

IF MU somehow makes it that far, and they play Memphis and/or UConn on the way, they deserve a shit-ton of praise. Seriously, that would be miraculous. The odds, and history, are not in your favor.

BigCatDaddy
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Are there even any OU fans that think they deserve a higher seed than KU and MU? I'd like to see who they are

Right here! They lost a couple without Griffin down the stretch which hurt a little, but they still had a better RPI then MU and KU given that. I could see a case for MU being ranked higher, but they had some bad road losses this year and KU lost to 2 bad teams late in the season. OU just didn't lose to bad teams like Nebraska, Baylor, and Texas Tech. When they lost at the end of the year, they were to all good teams. I don' t think they are a final four team, but they have a pretty easy first 2 games on paper, so I think they make it to the sweet 16 for probably being knocked off by Cuse.

58-4ever
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I hate to shit on your parade (oh f*ck it, no I don't), but what in the *#&$% makes you think that? MU has NEVER made a FF. They have a nasty bracket: they would have to get through Memphis and UConn to make it that far.

IF MU somehow makes it that far, and they play Memphis and/or UConn on the way, they deserve a shit-ton of praise. Seriously, that would be miraculous. The odds, and history, are not in your favor.

I'm an OU fan. I just like mizzou's defensive intensity and I think they pose an interesting style that will shock some teams... Who cares about history? This is a different team.

58-4ever
03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Right here! They lost a couple without Griffin down the stretch which hurt a little, but they still had a better RPI then MU and KU given that. I could see a case for MU being ranked higher, but they had some bad road losses this year and KU lost to 2 bad teams late in the season. OU just didn't lose to bad teams like Nebraska, Baylor, and Texas Tech. When they lost at the end of the year, they were to all good teams. I don' t think they are a final four team, but they have a pretty easy first 2 games on paper, so I think they make it to the sweet 16 for probably being knocked off by Cuse.

I agree with most of this, but we struggled with Griffin too. Our guard play must improve to even get to the sweet 16

Skip Towne
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm an OU fan. I just like mizzou's defensive intensity and I think they pose an interesting style that will shock some teams... Who cares about history? This is a different team.

This IS a different team. They can't shoot (except Lawrence), can't make free throws and can't rebound. But it works for them.

58-4ever
03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
This IS a different team. They can't shoot (except Lawrence), can't make free throws and can't rebound. But it works for them.

That's why they play the games..

Spott
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
It doesn't matter. OU got owned by both MU and KU and even when they got the conference tournament in their own backyard, they still couldn't win a game.

EyePod
03-15-2009, 08:58 PM

That sounds like Drexel!!! Except that my school's team is in the CAA and we did poorly. At least you guys have an excuse in your good opponents...

PastorMikH
03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Haven't read the thread, someone may have already touched on this, but OU probably got a higher seed because they are currently ranked 7th and were ranked at #2 for 3 weeks straight.

skky man
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm an OU Fan and I think KU should be seated higher cuz they won the conference! As for MU who care's they are just whiners no matter what sport football or basketball!

cdcox
03-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, seeing how they've somehow concluded that Miami, Florida is a Midwest venue, this can hardly be described as the most illogical decision they've made.