PDA

View Full Version : Electronics iPhone 3.0 OS

NewChief
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh man, oh man.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5171796/iphone-30-os-guide-everything-you-need-to-know

Some highlights:

Copy/Paste (finally).
P2P wifi connectivity (phones can communicate with each other to say... play games).
Turn by Turn direction capability
1000 new APIs
New Spotlight that searches entire contents of phone
Landscape keyboard in apps like mail
MMS
Support for synching with CALDAV calendars (like google calendars, which I use).
Voice recorder

arrowheadnation
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh man, oh man.

FINALLY!!!! It better be for text messaging too.

Silock
03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Slowly eroding all the reasons against buying an iPhone. Still haven't solved the biggest one, though: ATT blows around here.

KCFalcon59
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh man, oh man.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5171796/iphone-30-os-guide-everything-you-need-to-know

Some highlights:

Copy/Paste (finally).
P2P wifi connectivity (phones can communicate with each other to say... play games).
Turn by Turn direction capability
1000 new APIs
New Spotlight that searches entire contents of phone
MMS
Support for synching with CALDAV calendars (like google calendars, which I use).
Voice recorder

Finally!!!!! The lanscape keyboard should have been there in the first place. MMS, C&P will be nice. A little disappointed that the camera got no upgrade.

03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
jailbreakers are hard at work.

bishop_74
03-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Still no a2dp support!!! How can you have cutting edge media player that doest support blue tooth headsets?

Shag
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Still no a2dp support!!! How can you have cutting edge media player that doest support blue tooth headsets?

A2DP IS included in 3.0. There's apparently 100 new features, all of which have not been revealed.

03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Doubt this is worth much to the iPod Touch.

KCFalcon59
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Doubt this is worth much to the iPod Touch.

$9.95 :p

KCFalcon59
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM

It pisses me off to no end that you can only use the apple bluetooth headset ($99) and not any bluetooth device. Bastards.

03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
$9.95 :pYou have to pay for it? They just did that with 2.0 a few months back. Talk about not giving a crap about your customers. Zune does complete upgrades for free. As well as EVERY OTHER MP3 maker out there.

Plus, the Touch version of the software is gimped since it does not do everything the iPhone does. How laughable.

Silock
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
You have to pay for it? They just did that with 2.0 a few months back. Talk about not giving a crap about your customers. Zune does complete upgrades for free. As well as EVERY OTHER MP3 maker out there.

Plus, the Touch version of the software is gimped since it does not do everything the iPhone does. How laughable.

I was reading an article somewhere about how it's part of Apple's contract with ATT that they can't give it away to Touch users like they can with iPhones.

03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I was reading an article somewhere about how it's part of Apple's contract with ATT that they can't give it away to Touch users like they can with iPhones.Just as long as they don't start making apps that require 3.0.

MIAdragon
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
FINALLY!!!! It better be for text messaging too.

it is.

Shag
03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Just as long as they don't start making apps that require 3.0.

I'm pretty sure you'll need 3.0 for quite a few apps. There are a lot of features in 3.0 that are supposed to improve what apps are able to do...

03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll need 3.0 for quite a few apps. There are a lot of features in 3.0 that are supposed to improve what apps are able to do...Of course, the apps specifically for the iPhone are.

NewChief
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Just as long as they don't start making apps that require 3.0.

Considering that 3.0 has over 1000 new APIs, I imagine that lots of developers are going to be making aps that only work with 3.0.

SLAG
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Of course, the apps specifically for the iPhone are.

Do you have a iPod Touch 1G or 2G -
I just picked up an 2G iPod Touch almost 2 weeks ago - tax return treat -

It seems MOST of the features will be coming to the 2G- such as A2DP and they will activate the Bluetooth that is in the 2G so that P2P will work with it as well

I am Loving this 2G ipod touch

03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Do you have a iPod Touch 1G or 2G -
I just picked up an 2G iPod Touch almost 2 weeks ago - tax return treat -

It seems MOST of the features will be coming to the 2G- such as A2DP and they will activate the Bluetooth that is in the 2G so that P2P will work with it as well

I am Loving this 2G ipod touchMy son has a 2G touch. I'm not forking out $10 for an OS update that should be free though.

SLAG
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
My son has a 2G touch. I'm not forking out $10 for an OS update that should be free though.

I agree that it SHOULD be free, but I also understand contractual obligations that ATT may have with Apple - $10 is worth it to enable Bluetooth + A2DP + the ability to add any new apps that are 3.0 only.

03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree that it SHOULD be free, but I also understand contractual obligations that ATT may have with Apple - $10 is worth it to enable Bluetooth + A2DP + the ability to add any new apps that are 3.0 only.what the hell is a2dp and why would you need bluetooth on a touch?

bishop_74
03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
what the hell is a2dp and why would you need bluetooth on a touch?

You can listen to music via bluetooth instead of the headset. For instance my car stereo supports it so all I have to do is jump in the car and my stereo will detect my device and I can play it over the speakers without even having to plug it in. Some people have wireless headsets too.

Anyone install the beta yet? I downloaded it, but have read in a couple of places if you haven't purchased the developer account it knows and locks your phone. You then have to go through quite a bit of trouble to downgrade the phone as well.

HC_Chief
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Stoked :thumb:

The Rick
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
I have the beta copy of 3.0 on my iPhone, so if you guys have any questions, let me know!

bishop_74
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I have the beta copy of 3.0 on my iPhone, so if you guys have any questions, let me know!

Did you torrent it, or did you buy a developer license?

The Rick
03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I was already a developer previously...

03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
You can listen to music via bluetooth instead of the headset. For instance my car stereo supports it so all I have to do is jump in the car and my stereo will detect my device and I can play it over the speakers without even having to plug it in. Some people have wireless headsets too.

Anyone install the beta yet? I downloaded it, but have read in a couple of places if you haven't purchased the developer account it knows and locks your phone. You then have to go through quite a bit of trouble to downgrade the phone as well.Ahhh. OK. I can see the benefit then. Too bad it won't benefit me. My cars don't have that feature since I don't have a cell phone contract. The salesman would always throw that feature out there for me to get excited about and I always shot them down.

SLAG
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
thanks woot - ipod touch 2g - $169 - I suppose I paid $55 more for Instant Gratification

QuikSsurfer
03-20-2009, 01:04 AM
thanks woot - ipod touch 2g - $169 - I suppose I paid $55 more for Instant Gratification

and a refurb.

03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Its too bad my son picked up his ipod 20 days ago. Walmart has a 15 day return policy on that item. Could have returned it and waited until 3.0 was shipped with the device.

The Rick
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Thoughts so far:

Copy/paste works well...pretty much as advertised.

Something I found that I didn't get from the keynote: as you know, with the most recent update, pressing the home button once would take you to your first, primary screen. Now, pressing the home button toggles between your primary screen and Spotlight (search) with each press. It's more intuitive than it sounds.

Spotlight itself works as advertised too. If you use Spotlight in Mac OS X, then you'll feel right at home.

In Safari, if you press and hold down on a link, it gives you the option of opening in a new window/tab.

That's all for now...

NewChief
03-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Thoughts so far:

Copy/paste works well...pretty much as advertised.

Something I found that I didn't get from the keynote: as you know, with the most recent update, pressing the home button once would take you to your first, primary screen. Now, pressing the home button toggles between your primary screen and Spotlight (search) with each press. It's more intuitive than it sounds.

Spotlight itself works as advertised too. If you use Spotlight in Mac OS X, then you'll feel right at home.

In Safari, if you press and hold down on a link, it gives you the option of opening in a new window/tab.

That's all for now...

Cool, man. Thanks for the updates.

-King-
03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm still waiting for the cupcake update for the G1. Was supposed to come out in Jan. but hasnt came out yet. I need a virtual keyboard now. And I need the ability to search and filter through messages.

QuikSsurfer
06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
How to use the best 40 features of 3.0
http://www.ismashphone.com/2009/06/how_to_use_best_40_features_of_iphone_3.html

06-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Number 40 is the most useful option.

HC_Chief
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
It's out now! Downloading.

QuikSsurfer
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I returned my iPhone yesterday and will be picking up a 16g 3gS on friday :)

KCFalcon59
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Anyone have any issues with the update?

Silock
06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
I do. My iPod Touch is significantly slower now. Not sure why.

KCFalcon59
06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I downloaded all apps and podcasts, then backed up everything. Installed the update and after that was complete itunes found 5 more apps, downloaded them and started a backup and it has been backing up for over 45 minutes. Ugh. I sure hope it is a one time thing.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
How do you get the bigger keyboard? I downloaded the update but I still have the same keyboard.

06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I wonder if I would have to purchase this twice since we have two iPod Touches under the same account.

KCFalcon59
06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
How do you get the bigger keyboard? I downloaded the update but I still have the same keyboard.

You mean landscape mode? Just turn the phone sideways.

KCFalcon59
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I wonder if I would have to purchase this twice since we have two iPod Touches under the same account.

I'd count on it.

The Bad Guy
06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
You mean landscape mode? Just turn the phone sideways.

Thanks for the help. I was downloading it for my wife. That is a huge help.

I've had zero issues with the update.

KCFalcon59
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I was downloading it for my wife. That is a huge help.

I've had zero issues with the update.

Cool, I've had no problems since the backup finished. It took over an hour. Now if only AT&T wasn't such a shit company and would give us MMS all would be right with my phone.

06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd count on it.Well, that ain't happening. I'll jailbreak before I pay for that twice.

teedubya
06-17-2009, 11:13 PM
If you have the iTouch, it costs $9.95 to upgrade... does it cost on the iPhone?

Jewish Rabbi
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
If you have the iTouch, it costs $9.95 to upgrade... does it cost on the iPhone?

Hellz no dawg!

doomy3
06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Is this update for the original iPhone too, or just the 3G model?

06-18-2009, 03:42 AM
You can update multiple iPod Touches with the same software update.

iLounge has confirmed that the purchase of the iPhone OS 3.0 software update for the second-generation iPod touch enables the same user to update the first-generation iPod touch as well. Prior to performing any iPod touch update, iTunes 8.2 requires the user to click through to the iTunes Store, authorize a $9.95 payment to Apple, and accept new iTunes licensing terms. iTunes then downloads the iPod Software Update for iPod touch, which is specific to the first- or second-generation devices. Upon connecting a second, different-generation iPod touch, there is no additional charge to update that device’s software to version 3.0. However, another software download from the iTunes server will be performed to retrieve the separate version of the software that runs on the different device.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-touch-10-update-fee-one-time-multiple-devices/

KCFalcon59
06-18-2009, 06:56 AM

iLounge has confirmed that the purchase of the iPhone OS 3.0 software update for the second-generation iPod touch enables the same user to update the first-generation iPod touch as well. Prior to performing any iPod touch update, iTunes 8.2 requires the user to click through to the iTunes Store, authorize a $9.95 payment to Apple, and accept new iTunes licensing terms. iTunes then downloads the iPod Software Update for iPod touch, which is specific to the first- or second-generation devices. Upon connecting a second, different-generation iPod touch, there is no additional charge to update that device’s software to version 3.0. However, another software download from the iTunes server will be performed to retrieve the separate version of the software that runs on the different device.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-touch-10-update-fee-one-time-multiple-devices/

I need to bring my sons over so you can do his too. Save me 9.95. :D

kepp
06-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Fanboys crack me up - "Cut-n-paste FTW!"

TrickyNicky
06-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Still no MMS until later this summer.

irishjayhawk
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Fanboys crack me up - "Cut-n-paste FTW!"

So no one should be happy they included it? :spock:

Question for all: If you have 2 iPod Touches, do you have to pay for the update twice? Or can you pay once?

irishjayhawk
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Whoops, someone had the same question as me.

SLAG
06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
For those that don't feel like paying 9.99 for the update just get it here:

http://tysiphonehelp.com/?p=3008

88TG88
06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
For those that don't feel like paying 9.99 for the update just get it here:

http://tysiphonehelp.com/?p=3008

Hell ya, how does this work for ipod. I have no clue how to work it on mac.

06-18-2009, 02:35 PM

So no one should be happy they included it? :spock:

Question for all: If you have 2 iPod Touches, do you have to pay for the update twice? Or can you pay once?

Whoops, someone had the same question as me.I even found the answer myself as well. heh

06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I need to bring my sons over so you can do his too. Save me 9.95. :DI didn't know you got your son a Touch. I thought he just had a standard iPod.

KCFalcon59
06-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I didn't know you got your son a Touch. I thought he just had a standard iPod.

Got him one for his BD in april.

irishjayhawk
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I even found the answer myself as well. heh

Well, technically, my question is slightly different. I have two iPod Touch first generations.

(Me and my brother (who hasn't updated his to even 2.0))

The thing is most of the new features are for better hardware, which the Touch is in between product cycles and will be refreshed in Sept. So do I spend $10 now and then possibly upgrade units.

So yeah, decisions decisions.

Jilly
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I uploaded the update to my phone...and now facebook won't come up and some screwy things are happening on itunes as well? Any ideas fellas?

06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, technically, my question is slightly different. I have two iPod Touch first generations.

(Me and my brother (who hasn't updated his to even 2.0))

The thing is most of the new features are for better hardware, which the Touch is in between product cycles and will be refreshed in Sept. So do I spend $10 now and then possibly upgrade units.

So yeah, decisions decisions.I wouldn't waste your money on the update then. the only real thing the update unlocks on the 2G Touches is the blutooth feature for p2p gaming and such and the 1G doesn't even have blutooth in it.

88TG88
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQYJyCFAX64&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQYJyCFAX64&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
is this how it's done

06-18-2009, 03:41 PM
ATT and Apple have to HATE Ty. heh

QuikSsurfer
06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Just picked up my 16gb 3gS. This thing is much quicker than the original 3g. I'll post impressions later.

The Rick
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Just picked up my 16gb 3gS. This thing is much quicker than the original 3g. I'll post impressions later.
I picked up my 3G S this morning and I concur...this thing is noticeably quicker than the 3G. Amazingly quicker.

Other impressions:

- Voice control is nice. I've only used it to call a few numbers (both from my contacts and by speaking an actual number) and it's been on the money. 100% accuracy for me so far.

- Compass is OK. I mean, it works and all...I just don't see it being a killer feature. It's cool that you can reorient the Map application to help guide you. Maybe I'm missing something?

- Picture taking is noticeably better than the 3G. The ability to touch the screen to set the focus, white balance, etc. is nice. Picture quality is definitely better.

- Video recording works well. Quality is decent. It's super easy to upload a video to YouTube and/or MobileMe.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the ugprade. The speed alone makes a world of difference.

KCFalcon59
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I picked up my 3G S this morning and I concur...this thing is noticeably quicker than the 3G. Amazingly quicker.

Other impressions:

- Voice control is nice. I've only used it to call a few numbers (both from my contacts and by speaking an actual number) and it's been on the money. 100% accuracy for me so far.

- Compass is OK. I mean, it works and all...I just don't see it being a killer feature. It's cool that you can reorient the Map application to help guide you. Maybe I'm missing something?

- Picture taking is noticeably better than the 3G. The ability to touch the screen to set the focus, white balance, etc. is nice. Picture quality is definitely better.

- Video recording works well. Quality is decent. It's super easy to upload a video to YouTube and/or MobileMe.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the ugprade. The speed alone makes a world of difference.

Is the voice an extra charge on your bill, I read that it's like 1.99 extra?

The Rick
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Is the voice an extra charge on your bill, I read that it's like 1.99 extra?
No, there's isn't a charge from AT&T or anything. It just lets you do voice dialing, and also use voice commands to control the iPod. Stuff like "play songs by Vanilla Ice" or "play playlist 80s white rappers".

88TG88
06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
The 3.0 stuff on the touch is pretty underwhelming.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2009, 11:12 PM
The 3.0 stuff on the touch is pretty underwhelming.

The ONLY reason I got it was autofill in Safari.

06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
The 3.0 stuff on the touch is pretty underwhelming.Sounds like a good reason to NOT pay 9.95 for it. heh

doomy3
06-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Is the cost per month with sprint higher for the 3G iPhone than the original iPhone?

irishjayhawk
06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Is the cost per month with sprint higher for the 3G iPhone than the original iPhone?

Sprint doesn't have the iPhone.

But, yes, the original iPhone was not 3G capable so data was less expensive.

doomy3
06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Sprint doesn't have the iPhone.

But, yes, the original iPhone was not 3G capable so data was less expensive.

Ah yes, I'm an idiot. I meant to say AT&T. Is the monthly plan the same for the 3G as it is for the original?

irishjayhawk
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Ah yes, I'm an idiot. I meant to say AT&T. Is the monthly plan the same for the 3G as it is for the original?

Monthly plan as in price? No.

Monthly plan as in data (speed/gbs per month): I'm not sure.

Skyy God
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Is anyone with "good" (i.e., indie) music taste on Simplify?

googlegoogle
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
and games that suck

BigRedChief
06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Should I upgrade my Iphone?

NewChief
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Should I upgrade my Iphone?

My wife upgraded her 3G, and we've had zero problems. General performance (speed, crashing, etc..) improvements if anything.

06-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Should I upgrade my Iphone?It's free for you so why not upgrade?

BigRedChief
06-27-2009, 07:59 AM
It's free for you so why not upgrade?
Welllll being a techie I like to have others discover bugs glitches etc in newly released software updates etc, But I'm downloading it now so if it screws up you have to come to my house and fix it.

06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Welllll being a techie I like to have others discover bugs glitches etc in newly released software updates etc, But I'm downloading it now so if it screws up you have to come to my house and fix it.I'll meet ya half way man. :)

BigRedChief
06-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I'll meet ya half way man. :)
I can't log into websites. Keep getting username ans password errors.

But been getting those since I got the phone. On tne phone with Apple now.