PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thigpen ready for starting challenge

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/story.asp?s=10039915

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Former Coastal Carolina star Tyler Thigpen was in town playing on behalf of his country. Soon, he'll be playing for his job.

Thigpen was in town playing in the Battle at the Beach golf tournament, a United States versus Canada competition with proceeds benefitting Myrtle Beach Haven.

Many think Thigpen's job as Kansas City Chiefs starting quarterback is in question, as the Chiefs recently acquired former New England Patriots QB Matt Cassell. He's the one many think will get the starting job.

Thigpen doesn't see this as a setback. Rather, it's just a new challenge.

Click here for the rest of the article (http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/story.asp?s=10039915).

Interview: http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/category.asp?c=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=109086&topVideoCatNoB=144993&topVideoCatNoC=123142&topVideoCatNoD=139177&topVideoCatNoE=144602&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=3568466

Starts talking football about 1:35 in.

Mecca
03-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Tyler Thigpen: Tony Gonzalez said I was the starter!

King_Chief_Fan
03-20-2009, 08:06 AM
If Thigpen emerges the starter....wow.
I say he doesn't become the starter. Haley and Pioli don't want that egg on their face.

OnTheWarpath15
03-20-2009, 08:08 AM
ROFL

CoMoChief
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I guess Thigpen forgot that we didn't just spend a 2nd roud pick on a QB just to sit on the bench.

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
RAW interview: http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/category.asp?c=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=109086&topVideoCatNoB=144993&topVideoCatNoC=123142&topVideoCatNoD=139177&topVideoCatNoE=144602&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=3568466

Starts talking football about 1:35 in.

Mecca
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll be happy when I never hear about Tyler Thigpen again.

the Talking Can
03-20-2009, 08:20 AM
ha ha

Fire Me Boy!
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Sorry. Just passing along the story and video.

KcFanInGA
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
I like Thigpen, I do. I hope they let him and Cassell compete in a fair competition. But as has already been stated, I don't see Pioli and Haley droppin that kind of cash on a backup. I'm fine either way.

EyePod
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM

That's how I feel about Sanchez!! I can't wait to see him only being talked about as a bust!

mikey23545
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
WTF?

Would you rather he be a mousy little fuck content to sit on the bench? I think it's great he has that attitude, even though Cassell will of course be the starter.

stevieray
03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
WTF?

Would you rather he be a mousy little **** content to sit on the bench? I think it's great he has that attitude, even though Cassell will of course be the starter.makes Cassell work harder too.

El Jefe
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
makes Cassell work harder too.

Will bring the best out in both of them. Of course I think Thiggy has a better chance of playing pick-up sticks with his butt cheeks, than beating Cassell out for the starting job.

Blindside58
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Everyone - I am planning on running in the Boston Marathon this year. I'm 33 and I have never jogged or ran longer than the mile in gym class but I think I may win the thing. If I can just beat out those damn pesky Ethiopians I have a great shot!

Reerun_KC
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
That's how I feel about Sanchez!! I can't wait to see him only being talked about as a bust!

I feel the same way about Curry.... Blah Blah Blah, All the sure fire, safest player crap....

Deberg_1990
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
makes Cassell work harder too.

Yes,

Im sure Cassel is quaken in his boots at the mere thought of future HoF'er Tyler Thigpen.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Thigpen should be nothing more than camp fodder or late round trade bait to someone desperate. IF we want to compete for championships we need NFL QB's, not some Buffalo Wild Wings dude that can only run the cap gun offense...

But Thigpen is an underdog, like Scanlon, Grigsby, and others that people latch their mouth to his junk and think he is the next great thing... Yawn......

Sooner we truly upgrade all the QB positions the better. WE have start with Cassel, but there are still 2 spots open for upgrade.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
rofl

Mr. Krab
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll never understand the anger about Thigpen.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
No anger, just glad he's not the starter.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll never understand the anger about Thigpen.

Not really anger.

Its just laughable that some fans see him as a QBoTF. Hes ok. He did a servicable job last year holding down the fort (if you can call it that??)

But hes not ever going to be a true stand in the pocket guy.

He is what he is and thats fine. Just accept it.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Like the other two said, there's no anger.

In fact, every time I read stuff like this, it makes me laugh deeply and heartily.

Thigpen actually thinks he has a chance to be the starter. ROFL

Mr. Krab
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
No anger, just glad he's not the starter..
I'll be happy when I never hear about Tyler Thigpen again.Thigpen should be nothing more than camp fodder or late round trade bait to someone desperate. IF we want to compete for championships we need NFL QB's, not some Buffalo Wild Wings dude that can only run the cap gun offense...

But Thigpen is an underdog, like Scanlon, Grigsby, and others that people latch their mouth to his junk and think he is the next great thing... Yawn......

Mr. Krab
03-20-2009, 10:13 AM

In fact, every time I read stuff like this, it makes me laugh deeply and heartily.

You want him to just give up?

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I think he should keep chuggin on like the little engine that could. As long as it's on the sidelines and the practice field.

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Krabs, I'm with you. It's not so much anger, but the amount of people who almost want to see him fail and the number of people who get on the guy's case for being competitive.

He wants to start and he wants to start bad. He has done nothing to date to lead us to believe that he's going to be pissy if he doesn't.

And yes, he can get better, in spite of the number of people here who are convinced that his career as a backup.

Thigpen won't be starting. But he's an ideal backup for the Chiefs right now. It shocks me that so many people feel otherwise.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Considering this offensive line got 2 QB’s crushed, I think it’s a very real possibility that he could be the starting QB again even if he doesn’t start the season as one.

Micjones
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Thigpen won't be a starter here, but he'll be a solid backup.

I'd like to see the kid get a shot to start elsewhere.
If we could get something for him I'd trade him.

I like what he did for this team last year.
He accomplished more than Croyle ever will.
And some of you were perfectly ready to turn the franchise over to him.
You guys slay me.

COchief
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I guess Thigpen forgot that we didn't just spend a 2nd roud pick on a QB just to sit on the bench.

Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, Cleo Lemon, Aaron Rogers, JP Losman, Phillip Rivers circa 2005, and Brady Quinn would all like to have a word with you on your excellent theory...

I don't think Thigpen really has a chance to beat out Cassell, but much more lopsided QB battles have been won in very recent history. Don't even consider referencing current Kurt Warner either, I am talking about the Warner that was a two year wonder and then tossed around the league for five years up until two months ago.

Blankey
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh, he's one of those "everything happens for a reason" people

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Of course not. Having it this way is much more entertaining.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Considering this offensive line got 2 QB’s crushed, I think it’s a very real possibility that he could be the starting QB again even if he doesn’t start the season as one.

Cassel is 26, not 36. And he's 235, not 205.

He's not gonna get hurt any more than Thigpen did last year.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Thigpen won't be a starter here, but he'll be a solid backup.

I'd like to see the kid get a shot to start elsewhere.
If we could get something for him I'd trade him.

I like what he did for this team last year.
He accomplished more than Croyle ever will.
And some of you were perfectly ready to turn the franchise over to him.
You guys slay me.

Thigpen won't be a backup anywhere if he can't run a pro offense from under center. Teams don't change their offensive schemes to suit a backup QB unless they're 2-14 and completely desperate.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
That's adorable.

OnTheWarpath15
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Thigpen won't be a backup anywhere if he can't run a pro offense from under center. Teams don't change their offensive schemes to suit a backup QB unless they're 2-14 and completely desperate.

I've been saying this forever.

Good luck getting farther than I did with it.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-20-2009, 11:21 AM
If you clowns had have the drive and determination this kid does, you wouldn't be sitting around pounding your pecker while you talk about how much of a loser he is.

I have never seen so many whiny jealous b!tches.

Will he be the starter? Probably not.

But hey, I probably won't be ever be a billionaire either, but it won't keep me from putting my effort into getting there.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Cassel is 26, not 36. And he's 235, not 205.

He's not gonna get hurt any more than Thigpen did last year.

And no one expected Brady to be knocked out for the season in the first game against the lowly Chiefs who'd just traded away a majority of their pass rush.

The ball bounces funny in the NFL and it would be in Thiggy's best interest to prepare as if he expects to start.

Agreed with this though.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
If you clowns had have the drive and determination this kid does, you wouldn't be sitting around pounding your pecker while you talk about how much of a loser he is.

Will he be the starter? Probably not.

But hey, I probably won't be ever be a billionaire either, but it won't keep me from putting my effort into getting there.

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm certainly not jealous of Tyler fuggin Thigpen. I just happen to want my team to have a REAL QB...

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 11:54 AM
And no one expected Brady to be knocked out for the season in the first game against the lowly Chiefs who'd just traded away a majority of their pass rush.

That didn't have anything to do with the OL though. Freak injuries happen all the time - you specifically were referring to the putrescence that was our OL. I have no reason to believe Cassel will get injured just because our line sucks - Thigpen didn't.

The ball bounces funny in the NFL and it would be in Thiggy's best interest to prepare as if he expects to start.

Absolutely. I just hope he's not crushed when he doesn't win the job.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I have never seen so many whiny jealous b!tches. Congratulations. That may be one of the most inane posts in the history of the 'planet. And that's saying something.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
That didn't have anything to do with the OL though. Freak injuries happen all the time - you specifically were referring to the putrescence that was our OL. I have no reason to believe Cassel will get injured just because our line sucks - Thigpen didn't.

Sure it was a freak accident but having a mostly weak offensive line that hasn’t been upgraded in any significant way, yet, means the QB will be getting hit a lot which increases the possibility that he will get injured.
Hell, if the line could keep the QB’s jersey half way clean we’d probably be talking about Brokey the way we’re talking about Thigpen right now.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Sure it was a freak accident but having a mostly weak offensive line that hasn’t been upgraded in any significant way, yet, means the QB will be getting hit just as often which increases the possibility that he will get injured.
Hell, if the line could keep the QB’s jersey half way clean we’d probably be talking about Brokey the way we’re talking about Thigpen right now.The Patriots offensive line didn't exactly shine last year. Hell, we got 20% of our sacks against them. Cassel was sacked 47 times, so it's not like taking hits would be a new thing.

DeezNutz
03-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been saying this forever.

Good luck getting farther than I did with it.

I was thinking something similar when I read htismisisigjsg's comment.

Maybe we'll have strength in numbers...

stevieray
03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Yes,

Im sure Cassel is quaken in his boots at the mere thought of future HoF'er Tyler Thigpen.

Who said anything about him being scared? uh, you did.

I think it's hilarious for anyone to think that there won't be competiton at the very least on a personal level...

...any player is one play from starting.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
The Patriots offensive line didn't exactly shine last year. Hell, we got 20% of our sacks against them. Cassel was sacked 47 times, so it's not like taking hits would be a new thing.

True, they gave up 48 as a team, Chiefs gave up 37. How many more would they have given up without Thigpen’s running ability? Kid does have some wheels. Looking at NFL.com he rushed for 386 yards for a 6.6 ypc average and one very nice 37 yard reception for a TD. Cassel rushed 270 for 3.7 average.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Sure it was a freak accident but having a mostly weak offensive line that hasn’t been upgraded in any significant way, yet, means the QB will be getting hit a lot which increases the possibility that he will get injured.
Hell, if the line could keep the QB’s jersey half way clean we’d probably be talking about Brokey the way we’re talking about Thigpen right now.

Cassel was sacked 47 times last season and didn't get hurt. Brodie got hurt by routine hits, Brady didn't.

And our OL will surely be better next year.

I don't have any reason to believe Thigpen will see the field as a starter at all.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 12:41 PM
True, they gave up 48 as a team, Chiefs gave up 37. How many more would they have given up without Thigpen’s running ability? Kid does have some wheels. Looking at NFL.com he rushed for 386 yards for a 6.6 ypc average and one very nice 37 yard reception for a TD. Cassel rushed 270 for 3.7 average.

270 yards is nothing to sneeze at.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Who said anything about him being scared? uh, you did.

I think it's hilarious for anyone to think that there won't be competiton at the very least on a personal level...

...any player is one play from starting.

There may be some rivalry there, but it won't last long once Cassel outshines Thigpen in pretty much every way.

DeezNutz
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Nah. He'd trip on the sideline or something and be out for weeks.

I have nothing against the guy, but I'm going to be very happy when he's no longer with the Chiefs so that I don't have to hear any more about his "bad luck" or "unfulfilled potential," as if we just nearly missed on a franchise QB.

Obviously, that wasn't your point here, Radar. I'm just saying...

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Cassel was sacked 47 times last season and didn't get hurt. Brodie got hurt by routine hits, Brady didn't.

According to NFL.com Brokey got sacked once last year.

That’s it?! One god damn hit!

;)

And our OL will surely be better next year.

Without adding talent I see no reason to expect much, if any, improvement.

I don't have any reason to believe Thigpen will see the field as a starter at all.

Pray for the best while preparing for the worst.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Nah. He'd trip on the sideline or something and be out for weeks.

I have nothing against the guy, but I'm going to be very happy when he's no longer with the Chiefs so that I don't have to hear any more about his "bad luck" or "unfulfilled potential," as if we just nearly missed on a franchise QB.

Obviously, that wasn't your point here, Radar. I'm just saying...

I’ll miss the pictures of his wife.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Without adding talent I see no reason to expect much, if any, improvement.

If we really needed that much talent, I think Pioli would go out and get it. I get the sense that we might be better off than we think.

New coaching is going to make a difference.

DeezNutz
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I’ll miss the pictures of his wife.

This, too.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
According to NFL.com Brokey got sacked once last year.

Well, he's also 2 inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter than Cassel.

Oh, and Cassel isn't made of glass...

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
It wouldn't take much to rebuild the right side of the offensive line between now and camp. Just because they didn't go apeshit in free agency doesn't mean there isn't some kind of a process underway. Maybe they have faith in guys on the roster, maybe they thought the price for guys like Brown was too high in relation to the talent, maybe they have targets we aren't aware of and moves will be forthcoming down the road.

MMXcalibur
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
What in the fuck does everyone have against Thigpen? I like him, he's got spunk.....and he was the only thing close to watchable on last season's 2-14 squad. Get off the kid's back. He wants the starting job. I'd prefer a backup quarterback striving to take the #1 job rather than a backup quarterback more worried about what magazine to read on the bench during the game than his playbook.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
What in the fuck does everyone have against Thigpen? I like him, he's got spunk.....and he was the only thing close to watchable on last season's 2-14 squad. Get off the kid's back. He wants the starting job. I'd prefer a backup quarterback striving to take the #1 job rather than a backup quarterback more worried about what magazine to read on the bench during the game than his playbook.

I don't have anything against Thigpen personally. He's just better-suited to play in the CFL than for my favorite team.

Buehler445
03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Thigpen should be nothing more than camp fodder or late round trade bait to someone desperate. IF we want to compete for championships we need NFL QB's, not some Buffalo Wild Wings dude that can only run the cap gun offense...

Sooner we truly upgrade all the QB positions the better. WE have start with Cassel, but there are still 2 spots open for upgrade.

Buffalo Wildwings Dude???

WTF? ROFL

Not quite as good as shower anal, but just as much out of left field.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Give me a fucking break. The Pats changed their offense last year to a primarily shotgun offense when Cassel was getting sacked all the time. They ended up with 11 wins and did just fine. The Chiefs went from getting crushed every game to being within 7 points of almost every game they played toward the second half of the season.

It's just yet another excuse for people to discredit Tyler Thigpen. Thigpen hasn't proven that he can be a starter yet. But all this talk about how he doesn't belong on any NFL roster or that he's a CFL quarterback are beyond laughable. He's proven he can be a decent backup QB option and he still has upside to be maybe even more.

Not playing under center isn't an achilles heel if he's a backup, and it's not impossible to learn especially now that he'll have some time on the bench to learn fundamentals.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
It's not anything personal, or anything without basis. Thigpen's a 6'0 quarterback with limited accuracy. I think it's entirely possible he develops into a competent starter, but it's not an experiment (and that's exactly what it would be) that I'd particularly like to see on Sundays for the 3 or 4 years it would probably take. He may be a short Rich Gannon someday, in the end, but I don't think it'll be in 2009, and I'm happy there's someone else here to take the field. Even if it's Cassel, acquired in a trade I was entirely opposed to from the start.

In other words, we don't need another project. If we're going to develop someone as a starter, it needs to be someone with franchise QB measurables and talent. The slow rise of Thigpen to overcome all the odds would be a nice story and all, but this isn't a movie.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Give me a fucking break. The Pats changed their offense last year to a primarily shotgun offense when Cassel was getting sacked all the time. They ended up with 11 wins and did just fine. The Chiefs went from getting crushed every game to being within 7 points of almost every game they played toward the second half of the season.

It's just yet another excuse for people to discredit Tyler Thigpen. Thigpen hasn't proven that he can be a starter yet. But all this talk about how he doesn't belong on any NFL roster or that he's a CFL quarterback are beyond laughable. He's proven he can be a decent backup QB option and he still has upside to be maybe even more.

Not playing under center isn't an achilles heel if he's a backup, and it's not impossible to learn especially now that he'll have some time on the bench to learn fundamentals.

What the Pats did and what the Chiefs did are two completely different things.

That Pats didn't change their blocking schemes and all that just for Cassel. They still ran a pro offense, despite using the shotgun. The Chiefs, by and large, didn't.

Shotgun snaps <> spread offense.

mikey23545
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Do any of you fuckers possess even a slight degree of reading comprehension?

I have not seen one post on here that advocates Thigpen being the starter - only that some of us admire his attitude - his desire to play, his competitive nature, etc...

Would it help if I typed it slower?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Got Immortality?

Fuckin-a right they don't.

KCtotheSB

:deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee:

Do either of you two like WINNING games? Do either of you two have a desire to see and enjoy a consistently competitive Chiefs team that can win play off games and go to the dance?

I ask, because all I'm seeing here from you two regarding Thigpen, has more to do with a Cult Of Personality than quality #2 Quarterback.

But hey, take solace in the fact that you're not alone.

This whole should we or shouldn't we go ahead and draft a QB at 3 is a scenario I liken to lunch at Mc Donalds.

You go in and buy the #2 combo, and when the counter person asks if you would like to super size for a dollar more, a situation where you will get more value overall, you tell him "no" because what you've got on your tray is "good enough".

Fuck "good enough". That's the realm of Carl Peterson.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Do any of you fuckers possess even a slight degree of reading comprehension?

I have not seen one post on here that advocates Thigpen being the starter - only that some of us admire his attitude - his desire to play, his competitive nature, etc...

Would it help if I typed it slower?

Um, this ENTIRE DISCUSSION started because people couldn't handle other people being "angry" and "hating" on Tyler Thigpen.

Which of course hasn't been mentioned AT ALL in this thread.

It goes both ways, friend.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Do any of you ****ers possess even a slight degree of reading comprehension?

Would it help if I typed it slower?That dart goes both ways. I think most of us who aren't Thigpen number one fan are fine with him as a backup.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I think some of the Thigpen supporters think that the two sides of the argument are "for Thigpen" and "against Thigpen" when it reality it's more like "for Thigpen" and "couldn't care less as long as he's not the starter".

kysirsoze
03-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd just like to announce that I too am ready for the challenge of competing for the starting QB job.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Um, this ENTIRE DISCUSSION started because people couldn't handle other people being "angry" and "hating" on Tyler Thigpen.

Posting that Thigpen is “cute” for thinking he can start, that he doesn’t belong in the NFL, isn’t hating on him?
I don’t completely disagree with the points you’ve made but lets keep in perspective why TP supporters would think you’ve been dumping on him.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Posting that Thigpen is “cute” for thinking he can start, that he doesn’t belong in the NFL, isn’t hating on him?
I don’t completely disagree with the points you’ve made but lets keep in perspective why TP supporters would think you’ve been dumping on him.

I'm dumping on him because I want my team to be a winner. Heartfelt stories about a D2 guy making it big in the NFL certainly feel good, but 99% of the time they don't produce winners.

I understand why the average fan wants to identify with a guy that's closer to them than Terrell Owens. It's just not for me.

T-post Tom
03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I like Thigpen, I do. I hope they let him and Cassell compete in a fair competition. But as has already been stated, I don't see Pioli and Haley droppin that kind of cash on a backup. I'm fine either way.

Agreed. Liking Thigpen and liking Cassel aren't mutually exclusive. Thigpen had a decent year considering his background and prior experience. His accuracy wasn't the best, but he's young and should continue to improve. He has potential. Not many young 3rd stringers light up the league. He will get better.

The smart money is still on Cassel being the starter. Pioli isn't going to spend stupid $$ & a high draft pick on a backup. But if "no player is bigger than the team" then the best player should start. And if Cassel is the the starter, then I'm rooting for Thigpen to be the best understudy in the NFL.

mikey23545
03-20-2009, 02:28 PM

I'd just like to announce that I too am ready for the challenge of competing for the starting QB job.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I don't guess there's any hatred or misunderstanding of the point in this thread....

Stem cell research can't happen fast enough for some of you...

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM

ROFL

Best post of the day so far. Rep.

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm dumping on him because I want my team to be a winner. Heartfelt stories about a D2 guy making it big in the NFL certainly feel good, but 99% of the time they don't produce winners.

I understand why the average fan wants to identify with a guy that's closer to them than Terrell Owens. It's just not for me.

Fine, but you are dumping on him and wondering why you’re getting an emotional response.
I want the best product on the field also, if that happens to be with TP leading then great. The only effect it will have on my life if he doesn’t is maybe a slight sense of disappointment as I watch the Chiefs be successful with someone else I’ve never met and don’t personally know at QB. :shrug:

beach tribe
03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I like the idea of a BU QB who thinks he deserves to start. Why would we want anything different. He will make a good 2nd option, and even a good wild cat QB.

The guy can still develop into a good backup.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
even a good wild cat QB.

Now this, I agree with.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Fine, but you are dumping on him and wondering why you’re getting an emotional response.
I want the best product on the field also, if that happens to be with TP leading then great. The only effect it will have on my life if he doesn’t is maybe a slight sense of disappointment as I watch the Chiefs be successful with someone else I’ve never met and don’t personally know at QB. :shrug:

The whole idea that I'm dumping on him implies that I'm injecting emotion into my side of the argument when in actuality, I'm not.

To me it's a matter of fact - the guy right now has to have a gimmick offense constructed around him in order to have anything even resembling success as a QB. It seems like a huge waste of time to me.

As for the part in bold, I would argue that having the best product on the field and Tyler Thigpen starting at QB are mutually exclusive, but that's just my opinion.

StcChief
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Challenge will be if he will be #2 IMO. depending on draft, Brodie healthy or IR?

Radar Chief
03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
The whole idea that I'm dumping on him implies that I'm injecting emotion into my side of the argument when in actuality, I'm not.

I didn’t post that you were, merely explaining why you were getting an emotional response since you didn’t seem to know.

To me it's a matter of fact - the guy right now has to have a gimmick offense constructed around him in order to have anything even resembling success as a QB.

Agreed, that’s why he needs to learn play from under center. Until then he’ll be a gimmick that’s good for maybe half a game.

It seems like a huge waste of time to me.

Is it really that much of a waste to let the guy carry a clipboard for at least one more season to see how his development goes? This will be only his third season in the NFL and I don’t think anyone is denying that Cassel will be the starter when the season starts. :shrug:

As for the part in bold, I would argue that having the best product on the field and Tyler Thigpen starting at QB are mutually exclusive, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, I think we all understand by now that is your opinion.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I didn’t post that you were, merely explaining why you were getting an emotional response since you didn’t seem to know.

Oh I know why I'm getting an emotional response. I just don't agree with it. :)

Hammock Parties
03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
How can anyone be so misinformed.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
How can anyone be so misinformed.Maybe they read WPI.

*rimshot*

Just Passin' By
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
How can anyone be so misinformed.

From what I hear, reading WPI would do the trick......:shrug:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/382530~Golf-ball-on-tee-Posters.jpg

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 03:02 PM
From what I hear, reading WPI would do the trick......:shrug:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/382530~Golf-ball-on-tee-Posters.jpg

Missed it by >>>>_<<<<< that much...

Just Passin' By
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Missed it by >>>>_<<<<< that much...

Yeah..... should have waited on the picture. Oh, well.

raybec 4
03-20-2009, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Radar Chief;559801
Is it really that much of a waste to let the guy carry a clipboard for at least one more season to see how his development goes? This will be only his third season in the NFL and I don’t think anyone is denying that Cassel will be the starter when the season starts. :shrug:
[/QUOTE]

I am afraid at this point even if he were capable of developing into a good NFL QB that it could never be with this team. He played reasonably well given his situation last year and won't even get a true shot to compete this year. No matter what he says there has to be some bitterness about that.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I am afraid at this point even if he were capable of developing into a good NFL QB that it could never be with this team. He played reasonably well given his situation last year and won't even get a true shot to compete this year. No matter what he says there has to be some bitterness about that.

The thing is, people are waxing poetic about Thigpen being the next RICH GANNON. Rich Gannon is his ceiling, think about that for a minute.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Rich Gannon was hella accurate.

It's a terrible comparison.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 03:09 PM

And even with his accuracy, he was still Rich Gannon.

beach tribe
03-20-2009, 03:09 PM

He didn't seem too accurate early in his career.

raybec 4
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
The thing is, people are waxing poetic about Thigpen being the next RICH GANNON. Rich Gannon is his ceiling, think about that for a minute.

Even if that were a good comparison I personally don't believe he could ever reach that point. I don't believe that he is capable of being a full time starter on a winning team. But I definitely don't see it on this team.

Just Passin' By
03-20-2009, 03:14 PM
And even with his accuracy, he was still Rich Gannon.

He was a league MVP who took his team to a Super Bowl. If Thigpen has that in his future, there are about 28 teams who'd love to know it so they can trade for him immediately.

KCChiefsMan
03-20-2009, 03:14 PM
you know, I respect Thigpen and appreciate his effort last year. He came a LONG way and I would definately love to see him stay a Chief as a backup. But Cassel is the man now.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
He was a league MVP who took his team to a Super Bowl. If Thigpen has that in his future, there are about 28 teams who'd love to know it so they can trade for him immediately.

Moral victories are just that, moral victories.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Rich Gannon was hella accurate.Speaking of misinformed.

Gannon was accurate in 2001 and 2002. He wasn't for the rest of his career. He didn't break 60% passing until his 8th season, and he didn't reach 60% passing in any season with more than 100 attempts until 2000, his 13th year. He was regularly in the mid- to upper-50s.

Hammock Parties
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Eh...don't look at completion percentage.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
When you can't win the game...change the rules!

Hammock Parties
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I watched a few Chiefs games from the late 90s with Gannon a few months back. Maybe "hella accurate" was a bad description, but he certainly was an accurate passer. Moreso than Thigpen will EVER be.

Just Passin' By
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Moral victories are just that, moral victories.

He was a league MVP and got to the Super Bowl. What "moral victory" is involved?

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 03:29 PM
He was a league MVP and got to the Super Bowl. What "moral victory" is involved?

League MVP is absolutely a moral victory.

And the Super Bowl would have been an achievement if he hadn't have set an NFL record for Super Bowl pathetic-ness.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I watched a few Chiefs games from the late 90s with Gannon a few months back. Maybe "hella accurate" was a bad description, but he certainly was an accurate passer. Moreso than Thigpen will EVER be.Gannon was in the league for 8 years before he ever made it to KC.

That's kind of the point of associating Thigpen with Gannon, for me at least, saying that if he ever does 'get it', we're talking about that kind of time frame.

rad
03-20-2009, 03:40 PM

And the Super Bowl would have been an achievement if he hadn't have set an NFL record for Super Bowl pathetic-ness.

Pretty Favre-esqe.

Just Passin' By
03-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Gannon's struggles in the Super Bowl were because the opponent's coach knew the plays since they were, you know.... his. Blaming Gannon for that is just silly. As for MVP being a moral victory, it's nothing of the kind.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Gannon's struggles in the Super Bowl were because the opponent's coach knew the plays since they were, you know.... his. Blaming Gannon for that is just silly. As for MVP being a moral victory, it's nothing of the kind.

The MVP is a popularity contest and nothing more. But hey, who cares about WINNING a Super Bowl, right?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
The MVP is a popularity contest and nothing more. But hey, who cares about WINNING a Super Bowl, right?

Not very many, at least as it relates to taking the necessary steps to do so.

rad
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Not very many, at least as it relates to drafting Mark Sanchez.

FYP?

:shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
FYP?

:shrug:

Or Stafford.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Or Stafford.

ADDENDUM:

That's ONE element of it anyway.

whoman69
03-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I fixed the title

Chiefs Thigpen ready to be starting challenged

I would fully expect the Chiefs to pick up a vet backup. Thigpen will at best be third string even with the complement we have now. I don't even think he would be ahead of Croyle on the depth chart if he's able to play this year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I fixed the title

I would fully expect the Chiefs to pick up a vet backup. Thigpen will at best be third string even with the complement we have now. I don't even think he would be ahead of Croyle on the depth chart if he's able to play this year.

I don't know why Croyle would even BE on the chart. Any chart.

We've got our Vet already.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah, now that you mention it, I don't guess there's any hatred or misunderstanding of the point in this thread....

Stem cell research can't happen fast enough for some of you...

Typical :deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::dee vee:smack from you

milkman
03-21-2009, 03:33 AM

Medical chart.

chiefzilla1501
03-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I fixed the title

You can't be serious.

chiefzilla1501
03-21-2009, 03:55 AM

To me it's a matter of fact - the guy right now has to have a gimmick offense constructed around him in order to have anything even resembling success as a QB. It seems like a huge waste of time to me.

And you're ignoring the fact that he has a good arm, athleticism, pocket presence and a strong work ethic. The knock is that he throws an inaccurate deep ball and "supposedly" he doesn't work well under center because he struggled behind one of the bottom 5 offensive lines in football. For people to write off his career after a half season is beyond ridiculous. And I'm sorry, but gimmick offense or not, the numbers he put up are light years ahead of most backups in this league.

News flash--he hasn't even started a full season yet, and people are convinced that he's peaked? And he's most certainly proven to at least be a decent backup.

I don't see why people are in such a rush to get rid of him. I like Cassel, but there's still a chance he's not the QBOTF. So start Cassel, let Thigpen develop on the bench. If Cassel sucks, see if Thigpen can do better after some grooming. If Cassel's good, then trade Thigpen who, after a few seasons of grooming, should warrant a decent pick.

milkman
03-21-2009, 04:05 AM
And you're ignoring the fact that he has a good arm, athleticism, pocket presence and a strong work ethic. The knock is that he throws an inaccurate deep ball and "supposedly" he doesn't work well under center because he struggled behind one of the bottom 5 offensive lines in football. For people to write off his career after a half season is beyond ridiculous. And I'm sorry, but gimmick offense or not, the numbers he put up are light years ahead of most backups in this league.

News flash--he hasn't even started a full season yet, and people are convinced that he's peaked? And he's most certainly proven to at least be a decent backup.

I don't see why people are in such a rush to get rid of him. I like Cassel, but there's still a chance he's not the QBOTF. So start Cassel, let Thigpen develop on the bench. If Cassel sucks, see if Thigpen can do better after some grooming. If Cassel's good, then trade Thigpen who, after a few seasons of grooming, should warrant a decent pick.

Pocket presense?

Uh....no.

windwalker
03-21-2009, 04:08 AM
If Thigpen emerges the starter....wow.
I say he doesn't become the starter. Haley and Pioli don't want that egg on their face.

No then they would have the most expensive backup ever!!!! :D :D

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 04:16 AM

He might have a "good arm" but he couldnt fall off a camel and hit sand. Unless he dramatically improves his accuracy and can play from under center. Then he doesnt proved much for this team going forward. 3rd string is where he belongs.

God your post reeks of true homerism... Did you read how to be a homer fan and write it word for word?

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 04:18 AM
No then they would have the most expensive backup ever!!!! :D :D

Need a contract before you become the most expensive backup eva...

windwalker
03-21-2009, 04:31 AM
I think this thread should be renamed to

CASSEL COOL-AID

chiefzilla1501
03-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Pocket presense?

Uh....no.

For a guy who played behind one of the worst offensive lines, he held his own. Pocket presence might not be a good word, but he has pocket awareness.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 05:12 AM
You can't be serious.

He IS serious. Dead serious. And he's right.

Being a show horse is all well and good, but if the horse only knows one trick, well...
You can draw the conclusion and metaphor.

And this isn't about hate, it's about expecting and demanding excellence.

Step up. Be a better fan, and demand excellence.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Medical chart.

I don't know the terms of his last contract, but seeing as how he was a CarlHerm pick for QB in the 3rd round at 85; I'd settle that shit and put him and Kelly on the first Midnight Train to Georgia.

They can then take the Greyhound back to Alabamy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 05:42 AM
For a guy who played behind one of the worst offensive lines, he held his own. Pocket presence might not be a good word, but he has pocket awareness.

Why are a majority of Chiefs fans ready to run right to the bank and withdraw every fucking excuse in the vault for a long succession of Chiefs Quarterbacks past and present who in no way deserve it?

Everyday I step in here, the depth of how low Carl Peterson has brought this fan base on so many fronts becomes almost mind-boggling in it's patheticness.

Does Guiness Book have a category for this kind of thing? Because if so, the Chiefs Nation under 19 years of Carl Peckerson WINS.

We win! Yay. :rolleyes:

I f Pioli and Haley have tapped Cassel as the starter, I'm cool with that because it's the right choice.

But you need to remember that we're talking about the 2cd spot guy coming up behind him, and that guy needs to be better than Thigpen.

chiefzilla1501
03-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Why are a majority of Chiefs fans ready to run right to the bank and withdraw every ****ing excuse in the vault for a long succession of Chiefs Quarterbacks past and present who in no way deserve it?

Everyday I step in here, the depth of how low Carl Peterson has brought this fan base on so many fronts becomes almost mind-boggling in it's patheticness.

Does Guiness Book have a category for this kind of thing? Because if so, the Chiefs Nation under 19 years of Carl Peckerson WINS.

We win! Yay. :rolleyes:

I f Pioli and Haley have tapped Cassel as the starter, I'm cool with that because it's the right choice.

But you need to remember that we're talking about the 2cd spot guy coming up behind him, and that guy needs to be better than Thigpen.

But that's exactly the problem. I despise Carl Peterson, but it's gotten to the point where every single move associated with Peterson is said to be a bad move only because it was made by Peterson. And we exaggerate how bad people are because we want to do everything in our power to push out every single person that's associated with the Peterson era.

Not every player on this roster is bad. There's a lot of decent players and there's a lot of young players with upside. That doesn't mean that you start all of them, but remember that our average starters make for above-average backups. We often forget that developing a guy like Thigpen is the exact opposite of what Peterson did during the Carl Peterson era. The mark of the Peterson era would be that the Chiefs would bring in an average, experienced veteran like Jeff Garcia or someone like that to provide a quick fix. One of the reasons I support patience with Thigpen is that he's the exact opposite of what peterson would push for.

I don't know if he'll be good or if he'll never pan out. But we have 1 or 2 years to let him sit on the bench to find out.

R&GHomer
03-21-2009, 08:23 AM

What's the guy supposed to say, I'm just going to roll over and play dead because I know that I have no chance of being the starting QB. IMO he's just saying what he's supposed to say. Lip service one o one.

I like Thigpen and hope he does well, but it's pretty clear his place on this team is back to holding the clip board... and that's if he's lucky.

-King-
03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
I hope he does well. If for nothing else, he'll be worth something in a trade and we'll get something out of him.

whoman69
03-21-2009, 08:55 AM

And who would that be? We have Cassel, Croyle, Thigpen and Martin on our roster right now.

RippedmyFlesh
03-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I like the idea of a BU QB who thinks he deserves to start. Why would we want anything different. He will make a good 2nd option, and even a good wild cat QB.

The guy can still develop into a good backup.
This is the one reason I would like to keep him around.If you get him in a few plays every game if he does have to play because of injury he's not coming in cold off the bench.

Easy 6
03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Thiggy has the potential to develop into a good young QB IMO...he came out of Nowhere U, was raw as sushi & thrown in there out of desperation.

But obviously, theres no chance of him beating out Cassel & thats fine by me.

htismaqe
03-21-2009, 12:54 PM

No, he doesn't have a good arm. He's got an average arm, and HORRIBLE accuracy. And the offensive line is an EXCUSE, plain and simple. Matt Cassel was under pressure FAR MORE than Thigpen. Chan Gailey re-vamped the entire offense, including the blocking schemes, to accomodate Thigpen.

Who said he's peaked? You haven't been paying attention. NOBODY has said he's peaked, they've said that they don't want to wait for him to develop. He's years behind at this point.

I'm not in a rush to get rid of him. I really don't care at all what they do with Thigpen, as long as they don't make him the starter. And Thigpen isn't going to develop on the bench. Guys develop by PLAYING. If Cassel sucks, hopefully we have a better backup plan than playing Thigpen.

As for trading Thigpen, the time to trade him is NOW.

htismaqe
03-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Not every player on this roster is bad.

Absolutely 100% true.

There's NFL-caliber talent on this team.

It's just the Tyler Thigpen isn't it.

htismaqe
03-21-2009, 12:56 PM
What's the guy supposed to say, I'm just going to roll over and play dead because I know that I have no chance of being the starting QB. IMO he's just saying what he's supposed to say. Lip service one o one.

I like Thigpen and hope he does well, but it's pretty clear his place on this team is back to holding the clip board... and that's if he's lucky.

Absolutely not.

If you had read my posts, you would see that I have absolutely no problem with what he said. I expect him to be confident. I also hope that he won't be crushed when he doesn't win the job. He's simply not good enough.

wild1
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
watching thigpen, i wasn't convinced that he couldn't be good someday. but he's a developmental prospect. last year's terrible personnel and terrible coaching staff would have been a death sentence to even a much higher level prospect.

thigpen will probably be on the roster this year and I like that. let him practice with the team all season and see where he goes with more competent coaching and a better supporting cast.

i think he could be a credible backup in the league. if he turns into something cool. good for everyone. we can do what New England did with cassel and flip him for a pick someday if he's worth it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 03:57 PM
But that's exactly the problem. I despise Carl Peterson, but it's gotten to the point where every single move associated with Peterson is said to be a bad move only because it was made by Peterson. And we exaggerate how bad people are because we want to do everything in our power to push out every single person that's associated with the Peterson era.

Not every player on this roster is bad. There's a lot of decent players and there's a lot of young players with upside. That doesn't mean that you start all of them, but remember that our average starters make for above-average backups. We often forget that developing a guy like Thigpen is the exact opposite of what Peterson did during the Carl Peterson era. The mark of the Peterson era would be that the Chiefs would bring in an average, experienced veteran like Jeff Garcia or someone like that to provide a quick fix. One of the reasons I support patience with Thigpen is that he's the exact opposite of what peterson would push for.

I don't know if he'll be good or if he'll never pan out. But we have 1 or 2 years to let him sit on the bench to find out.

In Thigpen's case, it's not all about Carl and Herm. Carl and Herm didn't sign Thigpen to be a starter. Damon was the Vet, Brokie was Cripple BackOTF, and Tyler was 3rd guy down. 3rd guy down is where he belongs.

As I stated in another post; if we assume that Cassel is the kind of QB Hailey and Chan want to develop an offense with, the guy behind Cassel needs to be able to run right on to the field without skipping a beat in case Cassel goes down with an injury.
And now that Cassel has had a full season in the NFL, AND( and this is important )the Chiefs have two workable running backs to use, there's no guarantee for Tyler Thigpen that the offensive scheme is going to be based on a lot of taking "pistol snaps", "wild catting", or any of that other gimmick shit.

In that scenario, Thigpen doesn't work, and the Chiefs need to spend the 3rd or work a deal, and acquire the understudy of their choosing between the two top candidates.

Now, if the Chiefs by some weird fluke make it to the Super Bowl in 2009, I will shut the fuck up and never talk of these things again.

Deberg_1990
03-21-2009, 04:09 PM
And who would that be? We have Cassel, Croyle, Thigpen and Martin on our roster right now.

Is Hagans still around? I wonder if he feels he has an outside chance at starting in 09?

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Perhaps your idea of "Vet" and mine are not the same. We have a new starter who should be, by the NFL measuring stick, entering his peak years.

As far as I'm concerned, and as it relates to the Chiefs; that's a veteran.

Kurt Warner is not the overall bench mark for being an NFL vet, Kurt Warner is an anomaly.

chiefzilla1501
03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
No, he doesn't have a good arm. He's got an average arm, and HORRIBLE accuracy. And the offensive line is an EXCUSE, plain and simple. Matt Cassel was under pressure FAR MORE than Thigpen. Chan Gailey re-vamped the entire offense, including the blocking schemes, to accomodate Thigpen.

Who said he's peaked? You haven't been paying attention. NOBODY has said he's peaked, they've said that they don't want to wait for him to develop. He's years behind at this point.
I have been paying attention. Maybe you didn't say it, but there are plenty of people who say that he belongs in the CFL and that he will never be better than a 3rd stringer. NEVER. As for the o-line, the Chiefs' o-line before they moved to the spread was the absolute worst in the league and nobody was even close. As for the first two points, you only say he has an average arm because he doesn't throw a pretty deep ball. I never understood the obsession with the deep ball. On short to intermediate routes he has a pretty strong arm, and he throws very well on the run. He is a very capable backup and he can come in at any time and compete--with a shitty defense, he kept almost every game within 7 points, didn't he? Isn't that what you expect out of a backup? Do people really think we'll get better on-the-spot production out of Leftwich or Harrington or any other veteran like that?

I'm not in a rush to get rid of him. I really don't care at all what they do with Thigpen, as long as they don't make him the starter. And Thigpen isn't going to develop on the bench. Guys develop by PLAYING. If Cassel sucks, hopefully we have a better backup plan than playing Thigpen.

As for trading Thigpen, the time to trade him is NOW.
Thigpen can absolutely flourish on the bench. He needs to work on his footwork and his mechanics. Once he gets that down, his accuracy will improve markedly and he'll be much better at playing under center. That's something that he can better with with a lot of repetition and practice. But he needs a real coach and he needs attention. They had a shitty QBs coach last year in Curl and he was spending all his time on Croyle.

He has upside. He is a more than capable backup. He's no better than that and there's no guarantee that he'll ever be better than that. But right now, Chiefs' fans are seriously underrating him. Which is funny, because listen to any national sports radio and they all think he's capable of being a starter. I don't agree with that, but for a team where players rarely get any respect, that does say quite a bit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I never understood the obsession with the deep ball.

What obsession? The deep pass, like every other pass, is a part of your arsenal and you need to be able to do it!

On short to intermediate routes he has a pretty strong arm, and he throws very well on the run.
The guy consistently throws to Tony's knees and the airspace above Bowe's helmet. That is, on those rare occasions when he decides that there are IN FACT other receivers on the field.
He can run for good yardage, but throwing ON the run? Meh. Meh I say!

He is a very capable backup and he can come in at any time and compete--with a shitty defense, he kept almost every game within 7 points, didn't he? Isn't that what you expect out of a backup?
Do you think the 08 Bills were an elite team? That's all I'm gonna' ask and say on THAT front.

Thigpen can absolutely flourish on the bench. He needs to work on his footwork and his mechanics. Once he gets that down, his accuracy will improve markedly and he'll be much better at playing under center. That's something that he can better with with a lot of repetition and practice. But he needs a real coach and he needs attention. They had a shitty QBs coach last year in Curl and he was spending all his time on Croyle.

I'm sorry, but those are assets you need coming in to this league, and contrary to local, idiotic belief; they are assets that Stafford and Sanchez possess, and that DO IN FACT make them Elite Prospects.

Stafford's got the arm and needs to sharpen and develop his mechanics, and Sanchez has everything under the sun in spades except Stafford's long-ball arm.

And that's just how it is; no if's, and's, or but's.

I'm cool with Tyler at three; no more, no less.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2009, 02:47 AM
What obsession? The deep pass, like every other pass, is a part of your arsenal and you need to be able to do it!

The guy consistently throws to Tony's knees and the airspace above Bowe's helmet. That is, on those rare occasions when he decides that there are IN FACT other receivers on the field.
He can run for good yardage, but throwing ON the run? Meh. Meh I say!

Do you think the 08 Bills were an elite team? That's all I'm gonna' ask and say on THAT front.

I'm sorry, but those are assets you need coming in to this league, and contrary to local, idiotic belief; they are assets that Stafford and Sanchez possess, and that DO IN FACT make them Elite Prospects.

Stafford's got the arm and needs to sharpen and develop his mechanics, and Sanchez has everything under the sun in spades except Stafford's long-ball arm.

And that's just how it is; no if's, and's, or but's.

I'm cool with Tyler at three; no more, no less.

I don't deny that Stafford and Sanchez are better prospects who are more likely to be better QBs. But we're talking about a cheap backup QB versus two guys drafted to be their multi-million dollar starter. Much as you'd love to have Cassel and Sanchez on the roster, you're not going to invest over $100 M and your first and second round picks on your starter and backup QB. Thigpen is the best option as a backup unless you want to spend multi-millions for someone else better.

On the other points, the deep ball is so ridiculously overrated. Brees throws an average deep ball. Peyton throws a good but not great one. Brady threw a horrible deep ball his first two seasons. They're great because they are unstoppable in the short- to intermediate routes. And Brady, by the way, is living proof that your deep ball can improve with better mechanics. And can he throw on the run? Absolutely. Not moving left, but moving right yes. He had to do it on over half of his throws! When he actually has time to sit in the pocket and step into his throws he throws a strong ball.