PDA

View Full Version : Computers Computer help-windows startuprepair failed

bdeg
03-21-2009, 04:27 PM
My comp has been running in safe mode for around a month now because every time I start it up it crashes within 20 seconds. Get the bluescreen error of IRQL_Notequal or less. It may be a virus as a hacker that used to be on my network recently made me a project of his.

Ran the StartupRepair, here are the results:

StartupRepair cannot repair this computer
Problem Event name
Problem signature01 StartupRepairV2
Problem signature02 AutoFailover
Problem signature03 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
Problem signature04 3
Problem signature05 65537
Problem signature06 unknown
Problem signature07 NoRootCause
Problem signature08 0
Problem signature09 2
Problem signature10 WrpRepair
Problem signature11 1168
OS Version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID 1003

Anyone know how to read this?

phisherman
03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
seriously, if you have two sticks of RAM, take one out and try to boot up your machine.

an IRQ_not less or equal has almost always been a bad stick of RAM in my experience.

bdeg
03-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I have a laptop, it's relatively new so I don't think its the ram. Would bad ram run fine in safe-mode?

phisherman
03-21-2009, 10:08 PM
it's possible.

just try it. if you have two sticks, take one out and try booting with just one. try both of them by themselves if possible.

IRQ not less or equal is typically a hardware issue, not software.

RippedmyFlesh
03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Hear your fans? An over heated unit can cause that also.

bdeg
03-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Fans seem fine, it's definitely not overheated. I'll give the ram a shot tomorrow.

Thanks

HMc
03-22-2009, 12:21 AM
It's probably the True Fans

htismaqe
03-22-2009, 05:00 PM
bdeg,

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204211

it's possible.

just try it. if you have two sticks, take one out and try booting with just one. try both of them by themselves if possible.

IRQ not less or equal is typically a hardware issue, not software.

BSOD is almost always hardware issue (either the hardware itself or a faulty device driver) not just the "IRQ" message.

Since you can access safe mode, I would suggest looking in C:/Windows/Minidump (or something like that) and find the dump files. If you upload them here, I can read them and tell you what device or driver is faulting.

bdeg
03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
bdeg,

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204211

BSOD is almost always hardware issue (either the hardware itself or a faulty device driver) not just the "IRQ" message.

Since you can access safe mode, I would suggest looking in C:/Windows/Minidump (or something like that) and find the dump files. If you upload them here, I can read them and tell you what device or driver is faulting.

Thanks

bdeg
03-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Are all of your problems on startup, or do you get frequent blue-screens while you're using it normally? Typically, RAM issues will cause problems all over the place - not just on startup.

Are you able to start up in safe mode consistently without problems? If so, I'd think it's something program or corrupted file that is the culprit rather than RAM. Or maybe a hard drive with minor issues that's causing read errors.
This is exactly what I was thinking/hoping.

I remember seeing that thread and think I ran the HD scan. Maybe I should run that overnight.

I guess I should clarify it runs 100% fine and never crashes when I startup in safe-mode.

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking/hoping.

I remember seeing that thread and think I ran the HD scan. Maybe I should run that overnight.

I guess I should clarify it runs 100% fine and never crashes when I startup in safe-mode.

Almost 100% guaranteed it's a device driver that gets loaded normally but doesn't get loaded in safe-mode. Do you start safe-mode with networking on or off?

bdeg
03-23-2009, 08:58 AM
On.

phisherman
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
maybe a video driver? try updating to the newest version.

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
This is why I recommend Avast! antivirus.

The device driver causing your crash is SRTSPL.sys, according to those two crashdumps.

Apparently, Symantec Autoprotect (endpoint security) sees the need to install a shim device driver, not sure what for. But it can be removed.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007073018014248

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
On.

That would have ruled out your networking driver. But I finally got your dumps read and found what it is, see my previous post.

bdeg
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Awesome. Thanks a lot

phisherman
03-23-2009, 09:34 AM
ugh. symantec endpoint protection is a POS.

bdeg
03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
It was the only thing I heard would stop a NetBIOS attack.

Avast! is pretty good?

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
It was the only thing I heard would stop a NetBIOS attack.

Avast! is pretty good?

netBIOS attack? There's dozens of attacks that exploit holes in NetBIOS. Not to mention that fact that it's tunneled in IP by default and isn't propagated past your local gateway unless somebody is directing something at specific service ports. There are a ton of firewalls out there that prevent port scanning and specific TCP/UDP service port attacks, and none of them are as awful as Symantec.

Avast! is the best anti-virus, hands down.

bdeg
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm a little new to the network stuff, but yes there was action directed at specific ports. I'd tell you what they were but this was a while ago, I do remember they were just about the most suspicious/vulnerable ports you can find. My roommate brought it to my attention, once I installed endpoint it was constantly blocking port scans and packets moving in and out. Those log files were mountains.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation.

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a little new to the network stuff, but yes there was action directed at specific ports. I'd tell you what they were but this was a while ago, I do remember they were just about the most suspicious/vulnerable ports you can find. My roommate brought it to my attention, once I installed endpoint it was constantly blocking port scans and packets moving in and out. Those log files were mountains.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation.

If you don't have a hardware firewall, just download a personal firewall. If you're talking about incoming traffic on the NetBIOS TCP ports, be aware that it's probably NOT a hacker. There are literally thousands of worms that are trying to get to those ports. And alot of those exploits have already been patched by Microsoft, rendering them harmless.

You'll have to look elsewhere for personal firewall recommendations as I don't use one. ZoneAlarm was always good back in the day, but I haven't used it for years.

MTG#10
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
ZoneAlarm is a great personal firewall and best of all, its free.