PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Wonderlic Scores: "Look at the Big Brain on Matthew"

T-post Tom
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Georgia's Matthew Stafford stands out with NFL Wonderlic score

March 22, 2009

A poor score on the Wonderlic test can threaten a player's draft stock. The test, which measures problem-solving ability, features 50 questions and a 12-minute time limit. Test-takers are given one point for each correct answer. This year no player hurt himself terribly with a poor Wonderlic score. Here are some of the more interesting results.

Quarterbacks: With his pro day workout last week, Georgia's Matthew Stafford showed himself to be in a class by himself, and he also was in a class by himself among the top quarterbacks with regards to the Wonderlic. He scored 38. USC's Mark Sanchez scored 28 and Kansas State's Josh Freeman 27. All are acceptable scores for quarterbacks.

Wide receivers: NFL teams would like for receivers' test scores to be about 18, but several of the top prospects fell below that mark. Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech scored 15, Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland scored 14, Percy Harvin of Florida scored 12 and Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina scored 11. The test result is particularly interesting in the case of Harvin, who will have more learning to do than the others based on the offense he played in at Florida and the fact he could be used in multiple roles. Jeremy Maclin of Missouri was outstanding by comparison with a 25 test score.

Offensive tackles: None of the tackles were too far off the acceptable mark. Andre Smith of Alabama scored 17, which is borderline. Faring much better was Arizona's Eben Britton with 31. Others: Eugene Monroe of Virginia had 24, Jason Smith of Baylor 23 and Michael Oher of Mississippi 19.

Linebackers: Three linebackers from USC could be chosen in the first round, but probably not in the order of their Wonderlic scores. Clay Matthews scored 27, Brian Cushing 23 and Rey Maualuga 15. Maualuga's score is slightly troubling considering he likely will be a middle linebacker who is asked to call the defenses.
Defensive backs: Two scores stood out. Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes scored 41, and Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas scored 12. One front office man said he was not concerned about Delmas' score because he plays smart. Delmas still could be the first safety chosen.

bdeg
03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Rey can play for Herm EdwardsLMAO, in his defense the safeties make the call

Is there a more comprehensive list anywhere, or are these the only ones that were leaked?

T-post Tom
03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Rey can play for Herm EdwardsLMAO, in his defense the safeties make the call

Is there a more comprehensive list anywhere, or are these the only ones that were leaked?

I'm sure if you googled long enough, you'd find more. I've heard that only one player ever scored a perfect score. He was a punter from Harvard. Go figure.

Buehler445
03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
What the fuck are these recievers thinking.

That's good for Maclin though.

RustShack
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Wasn't one of the main points by the Stafford haters that hes dumb? Crazy how that happens.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Michael Oher of Mississippi 19That's not bad at all for a guy who's gone through what he has.

KcMizzou
03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
What the **** are these recievers thinking.

That's good for Maclin though.Hell yeah. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I'm glad to hear it. (and not surprised)

tboss27
03-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I really wish I knew the difficulty of quetions asked on this test. 41 is the high score out of these guys, but if there are 50 questions that's only 82%. If we're talking school grades most of these guys would have F's on this thing.

Reerun_KC
03-23-2009, 11:56 PM
What did the Chiefsplanet savior score? You know Christ (curry) himself?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Wasn't one of the main points by the Stafford haters that hes dumb? Crazy how that happens.

The main point was that he's a QB. The other points were invented b/c he's a QB.

Mecca
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
It's pretty difficult to find negatives on Stafford but our fan base has painted him out to be some retard that is lucky he can even throw a ball.

bdeg
03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
LMAO

T-post Tom
03-24-2009, 12:34 AM
You can take the test here: http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/743

bdeg
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
You can take the test here: http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/743

Wow, I hope most of them just ran out of time....

T-post Tom
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM

Yep. I don't want to brag, but if that's the NFL's measuring stick: I'm either a rocket scientist or a punter from Harvard. In real life, I'm no Einstein.

Miles
03-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I really wish I knew the difficulty of quetions asked on this test. 41 is the high score out of these guys, but if there are 50 questions that's only 82%. If we're talking school grades most of these guys would have F's on this thing.

The sample questions I have seen are fairly easy but you only have 12 minutes to take the entire test.

KCrockaholic
03-24-2009, 01:56 AM
[B][U] Jeremy Maclin of Missouri was outstanding by comparison with a 25 test score.

How bout that Mizzou education ;)

Good for Stafford as well. I believe he is the real deal.

rrl308
03-24-2009, 02:27 AM
They sure don't set the bar for receivers very high. Is an 18 really that much different than an 14 when it comes down to it?

Hound333
03-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Of course Alex Smith scored a 48 a few years ago. Not sure how much this should matter when it comes to playing football.

InChiefsHeaven
03-24-2009, 06:13 AM
I gave myself 5 minutes this morning to take the sample test...only got a 20, but I only got through like 12 questions...and missed a couple...I'm a dumbass...

the Talking Can
03-24-2009, 06:25 AM
too bad Stafford isn't good enough for KC fans....

King_Chief_Fan
03-24-2009, 06:30 AM

I don't remember getting a vote on that. Front office made that choice and I don't think they polled any fans to see what they think.

jidar
03-24-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm one of the people who think clubs don't pay enough attention to this score. There was a bit of info in the news several years back about the Patriots paying more attention to intelligence than the rest of the NFL and that the copycat league was going to take that to heart, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it. I'm not saying you throw away a top talent just because he's too dumb to do long division (which is basically what a wonderlic under 15 is saying), but you've got to take it into consideration in your evaluation imo.

jidar
03-24-2009, 06:45 AM

well.. to contradict the post I just made... Joey Harrington scored a 32

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Damn I only got a 47.5

skky man
03-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Vince Young scored 6 and everyone said "ah it's a stupid test it doesn't mean anything"
Maybe they should put a question on there that say's
"If your the QB and don't feel like your getting treated right do you
1. work harder
2. be humble gut it out work harder
3. go off the deep end

Cutler and Vince thought "shit another trick question"

Fat Elvis
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Vince Young scored 6 and everyone said "ah it's a stupid test it doesn't mean anything"
Maybe they should put a question on there that say's
"If your the QB and don't feel like your getting treated right do you
1. work harder
2. be humble gut it out work harder
3. go off the deep end

Cutler and Vince thought "shit another trick question"

Given your understanding of comma usage and the difference between "your" and "you're," I would think that Cutler and Vince probably outscored you on the Wonderlic.

Chiefnj2
03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Also remember that each of these players has agents and others providing them with old tests and helping them study and prepare for the Wonderlic. It isn't like they are walking in cold not knowing what to expect.

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 08:14 AM

What I believe will happen...

The Lions pass on Stafford for Smith or Monroe, the Rams will take the other LT.

The Chiefs will then select Stafford. Cassell will start this year and then be franschised and traded for a second round pick...Stafford will be the starter next year.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
What I believe will happen...

The Lions pass on Stafford for Smith or Monroe, the Rams will take the other LT.

The Chiefs will then select Stafford. Cassell will start this year and then be franschised and traded for a second round pick...Stafford will be the starter next year.

If that's the case why trade for Cassell in the first place? Thigpen was adequate enough (and doesn't cost $14.5 mil). The only scenario I see playing out where the Chiefs retain Stafford is:

1. They perform their due diligence leading up to the draft by bringing him in and interviewing him. Work him out, talk $$.

2. The Chiefs are blown away by step 1.

3. Chiefs don't sign Cassell before the draft.

4. Chiefs field offers on the pick and inject Cassell's name into some of the trade talk.

5. Chiefs trade Cassell.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
If that's the case why trade for Cassell in the first place?

Because it gives you options.

Thigpen was adequate enough

According to the team's owner, he wasn't.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
You think Cassell would be brought in with a $14 mil plus tag for one year to be a bridge gap to Stafford? That's what I'm getting at. I liked the deal for Cassell because yes, it gives you options. Have a hard time believing we'd draft Stafford and retaining both of them, then. Was only responding to the prior post, not arguing against the acquisition of Cassell.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
You think Cassell would be brought in with a $14 mil plus tag for one year to be a bridge gap to Stafford? That's what I'm getting at. I liked the deal for Cassell because yes, it gives you options. Have a hard time believing we'd draft Stafford and retaining both of them, then. Was only responding to the prior post, not arguing against the acquisition of Cassell.

He's tagged. Until they give him a new contract there's no guarantees. Pioli seems to me to be just the kind of guy to give himself that option - we have tons of cap space to handle 1 year at $14mil and hedge our bets with a guy like Stafford.

And of course, there's pretty much ZERO chance we'd retain both of them. One of them would be gone after 1 season, maybe 2.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
He's tagged. Until they give him a new contract there's no guarantees. Pioli seems to me to be just the kind of guy to give himself that option - we have tons of cap space to handle 1 year at $14mil and hedge our bets with a guy like Stafford.

And of course, there's pretty much ZERO chance we'd retain both of them. One of them would be gone after 1 season, maybe 2.

Would not surprise me.

My guess is the Chiefs will wait until sometime during the preseason or mid season to renogotiate or not with Cassel.

Just to wait and make sure hes the "real deal". If they draft Stafford, that would make for a very interesting conundrum.

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Exactly. I think Pioli is not going for the quick fix, but steady growth into a juggernaut...

Stafford doubles the chance of having a franchise QB on the roster and thus pushes the plan forward.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Exactly. I think Pioli is not going for the quick fix, but steady growth into a juggernaut...

Stafford doubles the chance of having a franchise QB on the roster and thus pushes the plan forward.

Yep.

Delano
03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Average Wonderlic score by position:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1PiTuBhELbU/Scfd93jRqeI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/3ERMbEPkF7w/s1600/wonderlic.png

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I'd like to see the history of how Wonderlic scores translate to success on the field.

Delano
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see the history of how Wonderlic scores translate to success on the field.

Check these out for QBs:

Advanced NFL Stats: Do Wonderlic Scores Predict QB Performance (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/05/do-wonderlic-tests-predict-qb.html)

Smart Football (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/07/football-and-iq-wonderlic-scores-by.html)

Intelligence and Football: Testing for Differentials in Collegiate QB Passing Performance and NFL Compensation (http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/intelligence-and-football-testing-differentials-collegiate-quarterback-passing-performance-a)

Buehler445
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Does anyone know what our cap would look like with both Cassel and Stafford on there? I don't know what Matt Ryan is making (assuming it would be in that ballpark)
Posted via Mobile Device

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know what our cap would look like with both Cassel and Stafford on there? I don't know what Matt Ryan is making (assuming it would be in that ballpark)
Posted via Mobile Device

Cassel and 3rd draft pick is a better question. Anyone drafted in the spot is going to demand high dollars.

My guess is that it doesn't matter anymore. We are going to be way under this year, and next year won't be capped anyway.

htismaqe
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Check these out for QBs:

Advanced NFL Stats: Do Wonderlic Scores Predict QB Performance (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/05/do-wonderlic-tests-predict-qb.html)

Smart Football (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/07/football-and-iq-wonderlic-scores-by.html)

Intelligence and Football: Testing for Differentials in Collegiate QB Passing Performance and NFL Compensation (http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/intelligence-and-football-testing-differentials-collegiate-quarterback-passing-performance-a)

Great info.

tboss27
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM

If this is really the degree of difficulty that is really sad that the "good score" out of the WR class is 25. I missed number 18, got the rest in 5 minutes. Everyone else seems to only be missing a couple questions as well. No way these guys pass their classes w/out a LOT of help if they are scoring less than 20 on this thing