PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anyone own the Logitech Harmony remote?

The Franchise
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4364554&sku=L23-7326&cm_sp=Right%20Nav-_-DOD1-_-CatId_34_L23-7326

TigerDirect has refurbished remotes on sale for $49.99. I'm thinking about getting one.

Anyone have one? Good reviews? Bad?

patteeu
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Love it. Haven't had any problems with it. I don't ask it to do anything terribly complex, but it does what I need it to do very well. I think mine is the 670.

Jewish Rabbi
03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I have the Harmony 360. For the most part, it was a good investment. I got it for about that price off eBay. It's well worth it to me to not have to fumble thru inputs on my TV and receiver every time I want to switch a device, and there is the obvious advantage of having one remote. If you have the money for it, control your sound thru a receiver, and have multiple devices, I'd say go for it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I've had a 659 for over 3 years. They are full of win.

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I think warpath has one.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Is the 659 or the 720 a better remote? Both available for $50..
http://tinyurl.com/c3xgon

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a 676 and like it a lot.

Jewish Rabbi
03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Is the 659 or the 720 a better remote? Both available for $50..
http://tinyurl.com/c3xgon

720 is better. Notice the color LCD screen on the 720, for starters.

gblowfish
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, I just bought one for $58 (with shipping). Weird thing is, this model isn't listed on Logotech's website any more. So it must be a discontinued model.

03-28-2009, 02:40 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CS1TLE?tag=slickdeals

$200 for a remote? People actually buy these things?

BigMeatballDave
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CS1TLE?tag=slickdeals

$200 for a remote? People actually buy these things?I don't have one, but I could really use one. I could see it being useful if you have multiple components. TV, Sattlite/cable tuner/DVR, Home Theatre, DVD/Blu-ray player. Makes sense.

03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't have one, but I could really use one. I could see it being useful if you have multiple components. TV, Sattlite/cable tuner/DVR, Home Theatre, DVD/Blu-ray player. Makes sense.Yeah but $200?

Hell, the remote that came with my Onkyo receiver covers everything just fine.

Skip Towne
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Your Directv remote will operate several devices.

03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Your Directv remote will operate several devices.I don't need Directv though. :D

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah but $200?

Hell, the remote that came with my Onkyo receiver covers everything just fine.

you can spend over a grand on remotes....fancy computer-based devices that will operate any device, and have complex custom macros for operating several devices and changing settings with one button press.

Buck
03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Can any of these control DVD functioins on a PS3/360?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Can any of these control DVD functioins on a PS3/360?

yes, but you need either a bluetooth dongle from a Nyko BluWave remote or a special PS3 adapter. The Bluwave is the easiest and cheap way.

Thats how I do it. Only downside is you cannot turn the console on with the remote.

BigMeatballDave
03-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Your Directv remote will operate several devices.My TV. Thats it. On and off. Volume. Mode change. Won't program to my bluray or my home theatre.

03-29-2009, 04:39 AM
For anyone looking to save an extra 5 bucks off the remote in the OP...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Refurb-Logitech-Harmony-720-Universal-Remote-Control_W0QQitemZ250396536995?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267

ILChief
03-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I have one. It's the best $100 I ever spent. I used to have a remote for the Satellite (which controlled the tV), the DVD player, and the surround sound. Now I only have one. Even though the wii doesn't have a remote, I set up a "Play Wii" activity and it will set the TV and surround sound to the correct inputs to play the wii. If you have a PS3 or XBOX 360, i think it will turn them on as well.

Get one, you won't regret it.

gblowfish
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
For anyone looking to save an extra 5 bucks off the remote in the OP...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Refurb-Logitech-Harmony-720-Universal-Remote-Control_W0QQitemZ250396536995?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267

I sent Tiger Direct an E-Mail, because the very same item they sold me two days ago was being sold "buy it now" on Ebay for $13 less. They allegedly have a price match guarantee. Here's what I told them:

Message to Tiger Direct:
Bought this remote from you guys on Friday for $57.98 (with
shipping), today you have the exact same remote on E-Bay buy it now
for $44.99 with FREE SHIPPING. So two days later you're offering a
better deal on this exact same item. EBay item number is
250396536995, link: http://tinyurl.com/camkqk

I'd like you to adjust the charges on my credit card for a $12.99
refund please. That would match the deal on E-Bay you're offering.

Their e-mail response:

On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Tiger Direct Price Protection wrote:

TigerDirect.com?s 30 day price protection policy: In the event our
regular advertised price on an item falls within 30 days of your
purchase date simply E-Mail us within 30 days of your original
purchase date and we will issue you a Tiger Credit in the amount of
the price drop good toward the purchase of anything else we sell.
This price protection policy only applies to regularly advertised
products and doesn't apply to limited time sales, instant savings
offers, instant or mail-in rebates, private offers, auctions, open
box items, limited quantity and close out items or other promotions
or offers and may not be used in conjunction with other discounts.
Due to fluctuations in the industry, CPU?s, Memory, and products or
bundles containing a CPU or Memory (ex. Desktop and laptop
computers) are not included in our price protection policy. Prices
on CPU and Memory are subject to frequent change and we cannot offer
price protection on these items and products containing these items
in the event prices rise or fall.

We apologize for any inconvenience. However, as per our terms and
conditions, we can only offer price protection for regularly
advertised items. Unfortunately, since this item is on a special,
we cannot offer price protection.

Thank you for visiting our website. We at Tiger Direct appreciate
your business. If you have further inquiries and reply to this
email, please make sure to include your entire message, so we can
address it appropriately.

Sincerely,
Loren
TigerDirect.com Web Response

My Response:

Subject: Re: Price Protection (#8796-129471066-7647)
OK, if that's your policy, your "price match guarantee" is worthless to your customers. You're selling the exact same item for a lower price two days later, and won't match your OWN pricing cut?

I'll buy elsewhere from now on.

Then got a second e-mail back:
We're sorry to hear that, but as much as we would like to credit you, we are bounded by our company policies. Please advise us if there is anything further we can assist you with.

Thank you for visiting our website. We at Tiger Direct appreciate your business. If you have further inquiries and reply to this email, please make sure to include your entire message, so we can address it appropriately.

Sincerely,
Allan
TigerDirect.com Web Response

So, apparently that whole "price matching guarantee thing" doesn't apply to their OWN prices. Man, what a bunch of crap. They'd rather have me share this e-mail with 500 people then give me back $13. Whatever, dudes.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't expect them to match ebay prices, even their own.

Just return the original and buy if off ebay.

gblowfish
03-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd agree, except the listing on EBay was posted by TIGER DIRECT, the exact same company, same group of folks.
I know it's only $13, but its the principle of the thing.

I had a phone charger for my car go bad. I still had the package it came in. It said "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on it. Had the receipt, took it back to Best Buy. It was less than one year old. Best Buy wouldn't replace or credit it. They said, "Oh, lifetime warranty is from the manufacturer, not from Best Buy." So, how do you get in touch with them? "We don't know...said the Best Buy dude." "Their stuff is crap, we don't sell it anymore."

Swell...

Ebolapox
03-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I have an 880. love it.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd agree, except the listing on EBay was posted by TIGER DIRECT, the exact same company, same group of folks.

I had a phone charger for my car go bad. I still had the package it came in. It said "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on it. Had the receipt, took it back to Best Buy. It was less than one year old. Best Buy wouldn't replace or credit it. They said, "Oh, lifetime warranty is from the manufacturer, not from Best Buy." So, how do you get in touch with them? "We don't know...said the Best Buy dude." "Their stuff is crap, we don't sell it anymore."

Swell...

I understand that, and I still don't agree that they should pricematch it. Most companies that sell on both won't. Would you expect Sears to PM something they have on ebay?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Swell...

as far as the Best Buy example, again, why would you expect Best Buy to take it back? Retail sales are not like buying a car....they aren't also an authorized service center providing warranty support.

arrowheadnation
03-30-2009, 07:31 AM
I have the Harmony One (the touchscreen one) with Cox cable, a Samsung receiver, a Bose sound dock, and a Samsung DLP TV (and a PS3, but it doesn't work with that). I absolutely love it. When I get home at night, instead of grabbing two remotes and setting the inputs correctly, I pick up the Harmony One and hit "I Want to Watch TV" and it turns my TV, Receiver, and Cable Box on and puts them all on the correct inputs. And in the rare occurrance that something doesn't work, you hit the "help" button and on the LCD screen it asks you which device isn't working. Say the receiver didn't turn on, you select it from the list on the LCD, the remote turns it on, then it asks you if that helped...you say yes then you're on your way. I know they're pretty pricey...especially this model...but I got lucky and picked mine up at the Circuit City liquidation sale and got it for about half price.

Sully
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I've got the 670.
I love it.

Jilly
03-30-2009, 09:58 AM
I've got the 670.
I love it.

I brought the wire home. It's on the counter, in case you didn't see it. ;)

Sully
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Updating it right now.

phisherman
03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
i got one just so the wife would stop complaining about the multiple remotes on the coffee table. i've tried cheaper ones in the past and they didn't have the specific remote options to do enough, specifically with the cable box remote.

Jilly
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
i got one just so the wife would stop complaining about the multiple remotes on the coffee table. i've tried cheaper ones in the past and they didn't have the specific remote options to do enough, specifically with the cable box remote.

Secretly this is one reason I'm glad we have the remote. But....in reality, I am so pissed I didn't get it for him earlier because it has come in so handy.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I think warpath has one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep.

Harmony One, FTW.

http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/logitech-harmony-one/4505-7900_7-32825878.html

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I have the Harmony One (the touchscreen one) with Cox cable, a Samsung receiver, a Bose sound dock, and a Samsung DLP TV (and a PS3, but it doesn't work with that). I absolutely love it. When I get home at night, instead of grabbing two remotes and setting the inputs correctly, I pick up the Harmony One and hit "I Want to Watch TV" and it turns my TV, Receiver, and Cable Box on and puts them all on the correct inputs. And in the rare occurrance that something doesn't work, you hit the "help" button and on the LCD screen it asks you which device isn't working. Say the receiver didn't turn on, you select it from the list on the LCD, the remote turns it on, then it asks you if that helped...you say yes then you're on your way. I know they're pretty pricey...especially this model...but I got lucky and picked mine up at the Circuit City liquidation sale and got it for about half price.

It doesn't work with the PS3?

arrowheadnation
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
It doesn't work with the PS3?

Out of the box, no it does not. The PS3 is blue tooth only. You can purchase a small USB UHF to Bluetooth converter that will make it work but I'm pretty content with using the PS3 controller. The harmony remote still turns the TV and receiver on and to the correct inputs. All I have to do then is hit the PS button on the PS3 controller to turn it on and away I go.

dirk digler
04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Thats how I do it. Only downside is you cannot turn the console on with the remote.

I have A Logitech Harmony and mine turns on my 360 with no problem though I haven't tried setting up the dvd buttons.

Nevermind: you were probably talking about the PS3

Baby Lee
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
They really should work on merging Harmony's tech with the Ipod Touch and IPhone. That'd be boss, to control all your AV and computer mechanations from your Ipod.

TrebMaxx
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I've got one and all I can say is, Logitech Harmony = :thumb:

04-01-2009, 07:04 PM
picked one up myself. Pretty damn impressed. ONly one problem though, it programmed all my video sources fine except for the 2 I used the most. HDMI 1 and Tuner. NO matter how many times I have tried it won't load those two sources and I have to use the NextInput feature instead. Annoying to say the least. I can't even "learn" the command because the remote that came with my TV only has a single source button to toggle between all sources. Kind of sucks.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
picked one up myself. Pretty damn impressed. ONly one problem though, it programmed all my video sources fine except for the 2 I used the most. HDMI 1 and Tuner. NO matter how many times I have tried it won't load those two sources and I have to use the NextInput feature instead. Annoying to say the least. I can't even "learn" the command because the remote that came with my TV only has a single source button to toggle between all sources. Kind of sucks.

you can likely set up an activity macro that would go something like

TV On
DVD On
Input
NextInput

04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
you can likely set up an activity macro that would go something like

TV On
DVD On
Input
NextInputit is setup similar to that. Unfortunately, it has to cycle through up to 7 inputs to get to the tuner though.

Outside of that little hiccup, this remote kicks ass!!! The simplicity of the macros is great.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
it is setup similar to that. Unfortunately, it has to cycle through up to 7 inputs to get to the tuner though.

Outside of that little hiccup, this remote kicks ass!!! The simplicity of the macros is great.

check your tv. on my panasonic, I can switch inputs in the list, but I can also hit input then a # and it goes to that number input on the list. If yours is similar you could try Input 7

04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
check your tv. on my panasonic, I can switch inputs in the list, but I can also hit input then a # and it goes to that number input on the list. If yours is similar you could try Input 7Nope. Didn't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Frazod
04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I've got one. It does have it's limitations (the most annoying of which is no "menu" button for my blu-ray player, and it stubbornly refushes to allow me to program one) but overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

arrowheadnation
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I've read about some people not having certain buttons on theirs. That's another good thing about the Harmony one. If for some reason the remote itself does not have the button, using the software that comes with it, you can create the button and it will be placed on the LCD screen for you to use. Same for inputs. When I first installed it, there were no HDMI inputs on their list of inputs, but all I did was hit "add" and typed in HDMI1 and HDMI2 and it somehow knew what they were. I'll sing this thing's praises til I see something better.

04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, after a week of use I have decided this was a complete waste of money.

Boon
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, after a week of use I have decided this was a complete waste of money.

Why is that Mr. Guru?
I was thinking of getting one.
Which model do you have?

04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Why is that Mr. Guru?
I was thinking of getting one.
Which model do you have?I am a device hopper and this does not account for that type of use.
It does not accurately control my TV.
I have to push more buttons on this than I had to on my receiver remote that controls everything I have.
No dedicated buttons on the actual face so I have to flip through several screens just to do one thing and it does not allow you to adjust the order the buttons appear on the screen.

Its up for sale for anyone that is willing to cover shipping.

Harmony 720

KCFalcon59
04-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I am a device hopper and this does not account for that type of use.
It does not accurately control my TV.
I have to push more buttons on this than I had to on my receiver remote that controls everything I have.
No dedicated buttons on the actual face so I have to flip through several screens just to do one thing and it does not allow you to adjust the order the buttons appear on the screen.

Its up for sale for anyone that is willing to cover shipping.

Harmony 720

You must be getting old. I suggest having the kids figure it out. It'll be much easier. :D

04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
You must be getting old. I suggest having the kids figure it out. It'll be much easier. :DROFL and here I thought you knew me well enough to know better. :doh!:

Nah, I've done everything possible and it flat out does not function the way I need it too. This was designed for people that literally just want to press one button and put it down. Of course, it doesn't even work that way for me because it continuously screws up the TV functions and has to go to the help button to remedy it. EVERY time. the whole purpose of the help button is to solve the problem so it never comes up again. Not the case on my system though.

The fact that I can't turn the tv on directly to the tuner is the most annoying thing though. I can go to any other input directly with it but not the tuner. Not the most important part of the TV. Go figure.

Rant off.:D

wild1
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
i eliminated 4 remotes with my harmony 720. I think it's great.

I wish it were a bit more programmable, like being able to define a specific script of key presses each time I do things, specific for what action you are coming FROM as well as going TO, but it's still great. it took some work, but i got it programmed to pick specific inputs correctly and turn everything on and off exactly as I like it to.

No more battery replacements either. Since I got it for $50, it was money well spent

04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
i eliminated 4 remotes with my harmony 720. I think it's great.

I wish it were a bit more programmable, like being able to define a specific script of key presses each time I do things, specific for what action you are coming FROM as well as going TO, but it's still great. it took some work, but i got it programmed to pick specific inputs correctly and turn everything on and off exactly as I like it to.

No more battery replacements either. Since I got it for $50, it was money well spent

Which is why I am offering it up for sale. Surely somebody else can use it. It just doesn't cover it for me.

Oh, and I was down to one remote as well without the Harmony. I just should have avoided all the hype. heh

OnTheWarpath15
04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Which is why I am offering it up for sale. Surely somebody else can use it. It just doesn't cover it for me.

Oh, and I was down to one remote as well without the Harmony. I just should have avoided all the hype. heh

You bought the wrong model, IMO. I think the 720 is the worst of the line.

Should have bought an 880 or a Harmony One.

04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
You bought the wrong model, IMO. I think the 720 is the worst of the line.

Should have bought an 880 or a Harmony One.Uh, $45. Nuff said. There was no way I would go over that. Even that was pushing it for me.

Either way, the fact that I have to scroll through screens is dumb. More button presses than I have already.

Was really hoping at least one person would be interested in this. It is a great product for the right people.

Oh well. Live and learn. I bought into the hype and paid for it.

SAUTO
04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Uh, $45. Nuff said. There was no way I would go over that. Even that was pushing it for me.

Either way, the fact that I have to scroll through screens is dumb. More button presses than I have already.

Was really hoping at least one person would be interested in this. It is a great product for the right people.

Oh well. Live and learn. I bought into the hype and paid for it.

at least it was only 45 bucks

04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
at least it was only 45 bucksMaybe, but I can think of a lot more useful things I could have used it for now.

Jewish Rabbi
04-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Maybe, but I can think of a lot more useful things I could have used it for now.

AKA porn.

04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
AKA porn.ROFL ummmm, no.