PDA

View Full Version : Football Players don't like rule changes

RustShack
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Jones-Drew Joins Chorus Of Players Who Don’t Want Rules Changes
Posted by Mike Florio on March 27, 2009, 5:52 p.m.

There’s an odd dynamic currently unfolding in the NFL. As owners prepare for an effort to raid the players’ pocketbooks at the bargaining table, the owners also are trying to protect the players. From themselves.

And plenty of players don’t like it.

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu said the NFL is becoming a “pansy” game during the 2008 season, before the league adopted a new wave of rules changes aimed at protecting player safety.

Earlier this week, free-agent safety Rodney Harrison complained about new rules aimed at, among other things, protecting quarterbacks from low hits and all players from helmet-to-helmet crackback blocks.

On Friday, Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew echoed the criticism.

“It’s football, if you don’t want to get hurt, don’t play it,” Jones-Drew told Dan Patrick.

He also called the so-called “Hines Ward” rule “ridiculous.”

“We should get back to the way people played in the ’70s,” Jones-Drew said. “I like when people are on the ground, you step on them.”

We addressed the new rules for SportingNews.com earlier today. You can read our take right here.

KCChiefsMan
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
they are some pretty fairy rules

Pioli Zombie
03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
The league knows it gets higher ratings when the Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings's are out there playing. That is the entire reasoning.
Posted via Mobile Device

bdeg
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
lol I love Jones Drew's comments

The article does not accurately describe the new rules.

raptorrage
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
they might aswell tie a flag to the QB waist now - i see now real way as of now to make a legal hit on him anymore - its pretty sad

03-28-2009, 02:41 PM
No Fun League

RNR
03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
The league knows it gets higher ratings when the Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings's are out there playing. That is the entire reasoning.
Posted via Mobile Device

This

bowener
03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I can somewhat understand not hitting a QB below the knees if he has thrown or is throwing the ball (some what similar to how a kicker is exposed and unable to protect their plant leg--- see T. Brady for an example). But....

I hate the "Hines Ward" rule. That is bullshit. If the defender kept their eyes looking around, they could avoid a lot of those big hits, but they dont, so it is as much if not more their own fault when they get lit up. As my dad always told me when I played in high school, "Keep your head on a swivel or it will get knocked off."