PDA

View Full Version : Royals AL Central Standings

Jenson71
03-28-2009, 11:39 PM
We've done the AL East (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204764), which featured three of the top teams in the AL, so now we move to the Central.

The big characteristic about the Central is how even handed it is. Last year the two top teams couldn't even decide who would take the division until a playoff game sent the Chicago White Sox to postseason.

They beat out the Twins, who had a great season considering all that had happened to them, like losing Hunter and Santana. The Twins are my favorites to win the division this year, and it's pretty clear for me. Their pitching and outfield is young, their catcher (Mauer) is the best hitter at his position in the league, and their first basemen (Morneau) is as well. One of their pitchers is Francisco Liriano, who was injured in 2007 and didn't play a whole lot in the majors last year, but he'll be dominating this year. Fantasy owners, take note.

Next for me is the Indians. But it's not a clear choice here. They have Cliff Lee, and Carmona sholuld be pretty good. But then who? Injury prone Pavano doesn't really scare me. And I don't know the other guys. Their big acquisition was Kerry Wood, who might be a pretty solid closer. Victor Martinez and Travis Hafner are getting older, but they still provide the goods, along with former Cubbie DeRosa, SS Peralta, and Grady Sizemore.

Next up . . . the Royals. We have some questions with the bottom rotation, no doubt. But Meche, Grienke, and Davis are going to be solid. We added Crisp and Jacobs to our young and rising team. If Teahen keeps the hot bat, and Gordon breaks out, there is good reason to think 3rd and .500+ is not out of the question.

Who's next? The Tigers. But Jenson, this means you have last year's division winners in last place!? I know, I know. I'm not really sold on last years Tigers being the true Tigers. Last year, I predicted them to be World Series champs. Well, I'm still holding on (okay, I realize I have them at fourth). It's just that the Chicago White Sox practically switched around everyone and they're getting old. It's also because the Tigers just have too much offensive talent, that maybe pitching will come through enough to save them from bottom. Plus I hate the White Sox more than any other team. But I also cherish when a team goes anti-Moneyball, opens the vault and ends up last. I'll be happy if both these teams are fighting each other to stay out of last, and mostly because it means the Royals aren't.

So...

1. Twins
2. Indians
3. Royals
4. Tigers
5. White Sox

Poll forthcoming

beavis
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
1. Twins
2. Indians
3. Royals
4. Tigers
5. White Sox

Can't really argue with that. I think KC could compete, but only if someone emerges in the starting rotation, ie Hochevar. I'm skeptical it will actually happen, but Gordon needs to finally live up to his billing this year too.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
MN is a model franchise.

alnorth
03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
1. Indians
2. Royals
3. Twins
4. Tigers
5. White Sox

Royals are competitive until the last couple weeks.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
MN is a model franchise.

They just keep on doing it. Amazing that the Royals have had this model w/in the division and been unable to copy it.

Stewie
03-29-2009, 08:21 AM
They just keep on doing it. Amazing that the Royals have had this model w/in the division and been unable to copy it.

When the owner has his head up his Wazoo, it's no surprise. Dayton forced him to pull his head out and there's hope now.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 08:25 AM
When the owner has his head up his Wazoo, it's no surprise. Dayton forced him to pull his head out and there's hope now.

I know. We used the small market crybaby approach "we can't compete" for about 10 years too long, while other franchises right under our nose went to work.

It's a tough hole to crawl out of when you decide to roll over on your back instead of fighting.

Al Bundy
03-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Royals number 4 and 5 starters are going to be awful this year and will hold them back from being a contender. Plus I expect nothing from Guillen or Alex Gordon.

StcChief
03-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Tigers won't be last place and Royals are in the bottom 2. You figure it out.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-29-2009, 09:12 AM
I love me some Royals more than anything but as much as I hope for more improvement... and I do think we will continue to improve... I'm afraid the bottom of the rotation is still going to keep us out of contention much of the season in this division.

I like the new additions to this team team over all but it makes me a little pissy that we still haven't solidified the rotation while signing guys like Bloomquist and Farnsworth. In football it starts with the lines and in baseball it starts with the rotation and we're still not fixing that up as much as we need imo.

DAMMIT DAYTON/DAVID GLASS!!!

I see a bottom 2 finish... hopefully that will still mean .500 or better.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Tigers won't be last place and Royals are in the bottom 2. You figure it out.

Hey look what we found ma. An asshole.

Al Bundy
03-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey look what we found ma. An asshole.

A Cardinals fan?

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
A Cardinals fan?

It's an interesting species. Not just a Cardinal. But a psuedo-Cardinal. It's a byproduct of having a team win. By virtue of their team winning, they think they might know dick about baseball. Therefore, they feel the need to be a smart ass.

They are not unique to Cardinals. Most around here are hatched as basketball fans of a certain feather.

Delano
03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
The Twins have a lot of question marks this year.

Joe Mauer is injured and the organization is really tight lipped about when he will return.

Francisco Liriano is still a bit shaky coming off of his surgery two years ago. They are messing with his delivery to avoid more injuries and he's not the same pitcher he was before the surgery.

Joe Crede. Not sure what to expect from him.

My favorite player from last year, Denard Span, has had a very cold spring. They are rotating him through the outfield because Michael Cuddyer is back in right field. I think it is messing with Denard.

The bullpen (minus Nathan) is considerably weaker than years past unless some guys step up.

I think Minnesota finishes in the top three, but exactly where is very tough to say at this time.

As of right now, I put it:

1. Cleveland
2. Minnesota
3. Kansas City
4. Detroit
5. Chicago (manager meltdown time)

Chief Roundup
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Twins
Indians
Tigers
White Sox