PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto An auto enthusiast’s Mecca.

MIAdragon
03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
There has to be 100 million plus in this guys collection.

Sultan of Michigan's car collection is one of nicest we've ever seen

Watch the video, insane......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQMgwouKlU

We've been through a lot of great car collections and museums over the years, but even we have to admit that we've never seen a private collection like this. Assembled by a shadowy figure known only as "The Sultan of Michigan," this cache has something for car enthusiasts of most every stripe, although the focus is clearly on vintage and present-day muscle and Eighties-and-up supercars. Truck enthusiasts, vintage foreign guys and brass car enthusiasts will largely have to look elsewhere, but it's a magnificent collection, with the most flabbergasting thing being that it appears to be up-to-the-minute current.

The whereabouts and ownership of the collection are two things that the owner prefers to keep private – we actually have confirmation on both, but prefer to respect privacies. What we can confirm is that this treasure trove is, in fact, located in Michigan, which is both heartening (to know that such wealth and mechanical beauty still exists in the state) and somewhat confounding (as the area lacks truly great winding roads on which to exploit much of the machinery). In either case, the collection is generally kept under wraps, although periodically we understand that the owner invites in selected parties to share in the gorgeousness. Some of the folks at MidwestSSC.com are obviously part of the 'inner circle' judging by the video and this photo gallery. Follow the jump to take the tour for yourself. Thanks to Andrew Weber for use of his video, and we appreciate the tips, Justin and Evan!

Scorp
03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Holy mother of god....................... that just shows how poor I really am.

Hydrae
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
In the immortal words of Garth, SCHWING!

That was awesome, thanks for sharing. Reppity, rep, rep.

ferrarispider95
03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
sick, I was kinda worried as I did not see any Corvettes, than he hits the second room and it is full of vettes. Everything from a 53 all the way up until the new z06 and zr1.

DaFace
03-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Holy crap...that's...astounding.

ferrarispider95
03-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Holy crap...that's...astounding.

I think what is pretty cool is that his collection is mass appeal, cars that were affordable to the general public. (except for the italians at the end)

Most collections you see by Leno or other big collectors if full of very rare cars that most never knew that even existed or one-offs.

This collection is like going down every year from the 60's on until today and buying the baddest muscle car from each of the big three and putting it your garage.

Dayze
03-29-2009, 11:54 AM
great looking Grand Natinoal and 442 in there

My first car was an '85 442: every ticket I ever received I got in that car.:D
Wish I still had it; black on grey.

Pioli Zombie
03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I saw thread and I thought it was about a guy who tells an auto enthusiast all day that he's a retard if he doesn't want the chiefs to draft a qb
Posted via Mobile Device

KC native
03-29-2009, 12:09 PM
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

This is a collector after my heart. He's got an awesome collection of Vette's (the old zr-1 and the new zr 1). Then he's got just about every Ferrari you would ever want to own. The F40, F50, Enzo, 575M, and 599GTB Fiorano. He even has a Porsche Carrera GT, the Bugatti Veyron, and an assorted variety of Rolls and Bentley's.

Hydrae
03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
great looking Grand Natinoal and 442 in there

My first car was an '85 442: every ticket I ever received I got in that car.:D
Wish I still had it; black on grey.

Started with a '68 LeMans convertible in my youth. Yellow with a black top (same as that '70 Super Bee. yes I know, different manufacturer and all). Personally, I preferred that first room with the American made muscle.

I did enjoy the credits at the end where they credited Ferrari with some of the "musical" score. :D

SBK
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Alfa Romeo Competizone 8C. Nice.

Had about everything, only 1 BMW though.

shakesthecat
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Inf'ingcredible!

Too bad they couldn't have found a sober cameraman

stevieray
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I liked how the 'Cudas (and one challenger ..r/t440 perhaps) were in the corner with cars blocking them in.

The exotics are sweet, but I'm a sucker for 60's muscle cars..well, other than the PorschA.

milkman
03-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I saw thread and I thought it was about a guy who tells an auto enthusiast all day that he's a retard if he doesn't want buy a Jag.
Posted via Mobile Device

FYP

kstater
03-29-2009, 12:59 PM
fap, fap, fap

Dayze
03-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Started with a '68 LeMans convertible in my youth. Yellow with a black top (same as that '70 Super Bee. yes I know, different manufacturer and all). Personally, I preferred that first room with the American made muscle.

I did enjoy the credits at the end where they credited Ferrari with some of the "musical" score. :D

Sweet. I did too for some reason, although I'm in love with Ferrari's etc. But that first room was 'complete'.

I'll never forget my 442; my dad found it for $3500 in 1995; the guy apparently was going through a divorce and literally needed money within the week. His loss, my gain. It was flawless; I had $1800 in cash, and my dad cosigned the loan through his work credit union fo the remainined amount. I think my payment was like $60/mo.....the good ol days.

Blast of a car ( I love that style of GM; monte carlo, grand national etc). I routinely would come out from working at the mall to find a 'note' on my car asking if I wanted to sell it, or from the '442 Club of America/KC " etc..

Sadly, she was stolen once and had some damage; then I went off to the military and while I was away, she was 'stolen' 3 additional time. Each time, only making it down the street as my dad had taken out the battery.

Sold it to some 17yr old kid around 2000-2001 for a few bucks; he fixed her up. Told the kid I'd cut him a deal if he would bring her back to show me when she was 'ready'. He did; and he did an amazing job. Keeping it original, cleaning up the engine compartment...it was great. Sounded great as she drove off the final time. :deevee:

stlchiefs
03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
What a waste, 8 minutes and there was never once an appearance by a long haired guy that looked like Silent Bob.

Baby Lee
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Needs a Gumpert or a Zonda. Cool to see he saw fit to include a 69 Nova SS in this esteemed group. Restoring his is my dad's big retirement project.

Only thing close I've ever seen was the 5 floors of Manhattan MotorCars.

http://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/?gclid=CJ2O-pmHyZkCFSQMDQodHipruw

Demonpenz
03-29-2009, 03:13 PM
a car lovers long hair greesy anal usc fan

Baby Lee
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Alfa Romeo Competizone 8C. Nice.

Had about everything, only 1 BMW though.

There was at least the Z-coupe, and a 9-series

The Franchise
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I hate him.

Fairplay
03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Outstanding.

Better investment then the stock market.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 03:35 PM
fuckin Ferraris.

And mad props for the Delorean.

Molitoth
03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow! I actually think that might have been my old Buick GNX in there @ 0:55. I just sold it to a guy in Michigan last year that supposedly had a nice collection of cars. I know the huge semi that came to haul it off had a really sick purple 'cuda in it with some other 6 figure$$$ cars in it heading up to drop them off at his place.

I could hang out in that garage for days.

CrazyHorse
03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
****in Ferraris.

And mad props for the Delorean.

The Delorean was one of the biggest turds in the whole bunch.

If you wanna call any of them turds. The Delorean wasn't a very good car. It was unique in that it was built from stainless steel. Aside from that, the car had no performance or quality.

Of course, as with all car enthusiasts the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So please understand that your opinion can certainly be different than mine and we can both be right in how we see it.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 03:53 PM
So please understand that your opinion can certainly be different than mine and we can both be right in how we see it.

Welcome to the internet.

But, I agree. I like the Delorean purely for it's aesthetic appeal. And the fact that I'm a huge nerd.

Fairplay
03-29-2009, 04:08 PM
The Delorean wasn't a very good car. It was unique in that it was built from stainless steel. Aside from that, the car had no performance or quality.

The Delorean is like a one hit wonder. Nothing quite like it and in limited numbers produced. It is unique in its own way.

Molitoth
03-29-2009, 04:08 PM
The gullwing style doors and the stainless steel (color) was nice about the Delorean, although they were heavy pieces of turd.

excessive
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
That is a brilliant financial investment. The era of the internal combustion engine is over. Fifty years from now you won't be able to put a price tag on a collection like that.

Frazod
03-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow. :wayne:

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Seems like a nice premise for a new Fast and Furious or Gone in 60 Seconds movie.

I've always wondered about how collectors like this maintain the cars. Does he have a mechanic on call to change the oil, keep the tires inflated, jump the battery due to inactivity, etc?

I'd love to be filthy rich and own all these cars, but I don't know shit about car maintenance so it would probably be a pain in the ass for me.

Frazod
03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I would imagine he has a full time staff of people who care for the vehicles as their sole occupations.

Fairplay
03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I would assume he has security systems similar to the supermax in place around that building.

unlurking
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Looked like each vehicle had a trickle charger under the front end.

Molitoth
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
The insurance on that building has to cost more then a small third world country.

googlegoogle
03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone want to guess who's collection it is?

Car executives collection?

Halfcan
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
sweet colection

REDHOTGTO
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
needed more goats
but im still jealous

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
So who owns it?

Miss Understood
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
The Delorean was one of the biggest turds in the whole bunch.

If you wanna call any of them turds. The Delorean wasn't a very good car. It was unique in that it was built from stainless steel. Aside from that, the car had no performance or quality.

Of course, as with all car enthusiasts the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So please understand that your opinion can certainly be different than mine and we can both be right in how we see it.

Could it be considered a limited edition? There weren't that many made, were there?

Discuss Thrower
03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Anyone want to guess who's collection it is?

Car executives collection?

This, or if the title "Sultan" alludes to the fact that the owner is an Arabic expatriate living in the Dearborn area had acquired to money through petrol to amass such a collection, though it would be curious for what I take the stereotypical Arabic Oil-Man to be in having a fascination with "common" American muscle cars.

SBK
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
There was at least the Z-coupe, and a 9-series

The Z8 was it, that middle car is a Quattroporte. (Maserati)

Sweet collection though.

SBK
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
This, or if the title "Sultan" alludes to the fact that the owner is an Arabic expatriate living in the Dearborn area had acquired to money through petrol to amass such a collection, though it would be curious for what I take the stereotypical Arabic Oil-Man to be in having a fascination with "common" American muscle cars.

I'm sure it's a reference to the Sultan of Brunei who has a massive collection of cars as well.

EyePod
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Was that a fucking Plymouth Prowler? Who the fuck actually bought one of those?

CrazyHorse
03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Could it be considered a limited edition? There weren't that many made, were there?

Yes! a 2 year car that went under because the owner was a coke dealer, I believe. He could have probably turned it into something had he not got side tracked with his other ventures. I remember when they came out. They drew interest. They looked similar to the Lotus of that era if my memory serve me right which was one of the faster cars at a a time cars weren't very fast because of fuel.

The DeLorean DMC-12 is a sports car that was manufactured by the DeLorean Motor Company for the American market in 1981 and 1982 in Northern Ireland. It is most commonly known simply as the DeLorean, as it was the only model ever produced by the company. The DMC-12 featured gull-wing doors with a fiberglass "underbody", to which non-structural brushed stainless steel panels were affixed. A DeLorean was featured as a home-made time machine in the Back to the Future trilogy.

The first prototype appeared in March 1976, and production officially began in 1981 (with the first DMC-12 rolling off the production line on January 21) at the DMC factory in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland. During its production, several features of the car were changed, such as the hood (bonnet) style, wheels and interior. Approximately 9,000 [1] DMC-12s were made before production stopped in late 1982. Today, about 6,500 DeLorean Motor Cars are believed to still exist.[2] The company and factory stock were acquired privately in 1997 and production of an updated vehicle has begun.

Abba-Dabba
03-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Needs a Gumpert or a Zonda. Cool to see he saw fit to include a 69 Nova SS in this esteemed group. Restoring his is my dad's big retirement project.

Only thing close I've ever seen was the 5 floors of Manhattan MotorCars.

http://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/?gclid=CJ2O-pmHyZkCFSQMDQodHipruw

Agree on the Gumpert and Zonda. I was pleasantly surpised to see the Veyron and a Vector though. Ferrari's and Lambo's just don't catch my eye that much. They just seem to be Meh anymore.

Overall I have to say a very nice collection of mostly American muscle cars. Laughed at the Prowler though. Should have just bought a Caterham 7 or Morgan for the price paid for a Prowler brand new. 50K for a Prowler that handles like a pig, or 50K for a Caterham that will light your ass on fire. I'm taking Caterham everytime.

nthimage
03-30-2009, 12:50 AM
"sultan of Michigan" is a play on words alone, to keep his name somewhat private... Basically, we know the Sultan of Brunai has a massive (or had a massive) car collection. This collection is nothing like that scope. However, the point is driven accross well enough.

The Gumpert is really kit-car like... there isn't any plans in the mean time for the Apollo.
The Zonda is not road legal in the US. This collection that requires driving :)

Wow! I actually think that might have been my old Buick GNX in there @ 0:55. I just sold it to a guy in Michigan last year that supposedly had a nice collection of cars. I know the huge semi that came to haul it off had a really sick purple 'cuda in it with some other 6 figure$$$ cars in it heading up to drop them off at his place.

I could hang out in that garage for days.

Quite Possible; what # was the GNX? It's a very low miles car designed by a friend of mine.

The owner is a true gentleman, and am honored to be friends with him.

Here's a link to one of the early thread on the collection.
ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153890

And you can see some hi-res images of some of the cars of the collection at my site (seeing as I'm the photographer of the collection... just not much time to update the website)

nthimage.com --> detroit/ photoshoots

I'll be happy to answer most questions about the collection.

Every time I go to the garage, it truly never gets old :)

googlegoogle
03-30-2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153890

just some area avid collector.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Wow.... I have a car that this guy doesn't.... a 2006 Honda Civic (EX, even).... guess he couldn't get his hands on one of these babies...

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Purple Himi Cuda FTW.

Molitoth
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Quite Possible; what # was the GNX? It's a very low miles car designed by a friend of mine.

My GNX was #83 w/ 16,800 when I sold it to a man from Michigan with the last name of "Ford" last year.

She was a beauty, and I miss her. (I kept the sister GN car though).

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9823/dsc3536.jpg

MIAdragon
03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
My GNX was #83 w/ 16,800 when I sold it to a man from Michigan with the last name of "Ford" last year.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9823/dsc3536.jpg

Wow nice car! There is a guy here in Miami that has a GNX with less than 1K!!

nthimage
03-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Purple Himi Cuda FTW.
Yellow hemi challenger, and purple AAR Cuda...

beautiful car!.. but the one in the collection is under 600 miles. I'll find out what # she is in a few days.

another friend of mine has one of the fastest GN's out there... something like 8.5 seconds on low boost... the car scares him.

Molitoth
03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
beautiful car!.. but the one in the collection is under 600 miles. I'll find out what # she is in a few days.

another friend of mine has one of the fastest GN's out there... something like 8.5 seconds on low boost... the car scares him.

ahhh, so it's not my old one then, bummer. =(

Ya, we did a few very minor mods to the GNX to keep it original, but we have done a little more to the GN we still have... it makes me poop my pants sometimes.

Fairplay
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Where is HemiEd at when we need him?

El Jefe
03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Wow.... I have a car that this guy doesn't.... a 2006 Honda Civic (EX, even).... guess he couldn't get his hands on one of these babies...

ROFL. Oh that cracked me up, REP to you.

Molitoth
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Where is HemiEd at when we need him?

Maybe he avoided the thread due to the word "Mecca" in the title? :D