PDA

View Full Version : Electronics So much for PS3 being superior to Xbox 360. Mine just died.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
I had an Xbox 360 for almost three years before I got the RROD.

Now, after less than 10 months of VERY light use, my PS3 is toast.

I only use the PS3 for watching Blu-Ray movies, so this thing gets a lot less of a workout than the Xbox. Tried switching out power cables and tried a different outlet that I know is functioning, and nothing. No red light, no nothing.

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
You should neg rep TinyEvel.

wild1
extremely heavy use of mine between bluray and gaming over 2 years, no problems

Hootie

ROFL

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM

I only use the PS3 for watching Blu-Ray movies, so this thing gets a lot less of a workout than the Xbox. Tried switching out power cables and tried a different outlet that I know is functioning, and nothing. No red light, no nothing.

I know nothing of PS3, but maybe using it solely for Blu-Ray causes more wear and tear?

doomy3
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Weird. I haven't heard of this before

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I know nothing of PS3, but maybe using it solely for Blu-Ray causes more wear and tear?

So you only get to use it to was, say, 40 hours of movies before it goes belly up? Bullshit.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Weird. I haven't heard of this before

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=cc5&ei=ZRHQSZmbJITCtwfryvzvBw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=sony+ps3+won%27t+power+on&spell=1

Apparently, not that uncommon.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:25 PM

I may send him a "warning" infraction.

ROFL

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
So you only get to use it to was, say, 40 hours of movies before it goes belly up? Bullshit.

You watched that fucking Dick Tracy on it, didn't you? There's your problem - your PS3 committed suicide!

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
You watched that ****ing Dick Tracy on it, didn't you? There's your problem - your PS3 committed suicide!

ROFL

Actually, no. I haven't seen that in probably a year.

I may watch it tomorrow though! :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
How long is the warranty?

BTW,
love my PS3. I use it daily for gaming.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:32 PM
How long is the warranty?

BTW,
love my PS3. I use it daily for gaming.

It's a year, so I'm still within warranty. I'm calling them first thing tomorrow.

kcxiv
03-29-2009, 06:32 PM

shouldnt matter they are all in blu ray format.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm a 360 guy... but honestly, it sounds like maybe you just got a lemon.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I'll never buy a console. Ever.

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM

That's funny, because I would just as soon not play a game on a PC ever again.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Suit yourself. I just added a motorcycle to Fallout 3.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Me too.

03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
You watched that ****ing Dick Tracy on it, didn't you? There's your problem - your PS3 committed suicide!Oh my God!!! Absolutely hilarious!!!!ROFL:clap:

KcFanInGA
03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

ditto. my 360 rrod'd within a year, though

03-29-2009, 06:48 PM
shouldnt matter they are all in blu ray format.Movies will always cause more "wear and tear" though because they are constantly spinning. I think he just got a lemon though.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
That's funny, because I would just as soon not play a game on a PC ever again.I prefer shooters on the PC, though I'm not a big shooter fan. The mouse and keyboard just beats the hell out of a controller.

Same with RTS, and a lot of RPGs.

Consoles generally are better for fighting games, and sports games.

Hootie
03-29-2009, 06:49 PM

I love my Xbox 360 because I download all of my torrents and I can use my Xbox to stream the video files through my PC so I can watch all of my downloaded shows and movies on my big screen...sure beats a computer monitor.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
I love my Xbox 360 because I download all of my torrents and I can use my Xbox to stream the video files through my PC so I can watch all of my downloaded shows and movies on my big screen...sure beats a computer monitor.That is really nice.

Hootie
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
That is really nice.

and I also scored $50 for my DivX DVD player over Amazon (about what I bought it for) since I no longer have a use for it...

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Suit yourself. I just added a motorcycle to Fallout 3.

Good point, but I believe XBOX Live offers downloads there. I just like the feel of the controller versus the mouse and keyboard combo, especially for shooters.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I've submitted the online service thingy. Waiting on shipping instructions now, then should have a new one (refurbished) within a couple of weeks.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Good point, but I believe XBOX Live offers downloads there. I just like the feel of the controller versus the mouse and keyboard combo, especially for shooters.

Yeah, but they don't allow user mods, which is what Claythan has now.

Hootie
03-29-2009, 06:53 PM

you can use a 360 controller with your PC? Just buy a plug in controller and hook it up to your USB...it's awesome.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I just like the feel of the controller versus the mouse and keyboard combo, especially for shooters.

You have to be shitting me. There is no more perfect controller than the mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Besides, I'm talking about user created content.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Good point, but I believe XBOX Live offers downloads there. I just like the feel of the controller versus the mouse and keyboard combo, especially for shooters. Wow, really? I think you're in the minority.

Wa-Z
03-29-2009, 06:55 PM
dude...you're still under 1 year warranty

my blu ray drive on it went out once

Saulbadguy
03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, really? I think you're in the minority.

We had a discussion at work, wondering if they would ever add keyboard/mouse support for consoles to use for FPS's?

I think if they did, they'd have to separate the keyboard/mouse players from the controller players, because the keyboard/mouse players would dominate the controller players. It would be ugly.

rolstrol
03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Might be a stupid question but....

Have you tried holding the power button?

A buddy of mine came over and hook his PS3 to my tv and when he got home he his red light did not come on.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
dude...you're still under 1 year warranty

my blu ray drive on it went out once

I know... just pissed. The 360 got a bad rep, and I was damn near out of the 3-year warranty on it. And I play the HELL out of that thing.

The PS3 has gotten a fraction of the use that the 360 sees and it's toast inside of 10 months.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Might be a stupid question but....

Have you tried holding the power button?

A buddy of mine came over and hook his PS3 to my tv and when he got home he his red light did not come on.

Yes. Tried that, tried a different wall outlet, even tried a different power cord. Also tried the remote, just in case. Tried to put a DVD in without it being on (it'll automatically turn on if you push a DVD in it).

Nothing.

Saulbadguy
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I know... just pissed. The 360 got a bad rep, and I was damn near out of the 3-year warranty on it. And I play the HELL out of that thing.

The PS3 has gotten a fraction of the use that the 360 sees and it's toast inside of 10 months.

:deevee:

I don't think anyone claimed that a PS3 won't break on you - just that a 360 has a higher probability of shooting craps.

Fire Me Boy!
03-29-2009, 07:06 PM
:deevee:

I don't think anyone claimed that a PS3 won't break on you - just that a 360 has a higher probability of shooting craps.

They're both at 100 percent in the Fire Me Boy! household. But the PS3 did it in 1/3 the time with 1/2 the use.

Saulbadguy
03-29-2009, 07:06 PM
They're both at 100 percent in the Fire Me Boy! household. But the PS3 did it in 1/3 the time.

Excellent indication of overall reliability.

rolstrol
03-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes. Tried that, tried a different wall outlet, even tried a different power cord. Also tried the remote, just in case. Tried to put a DVD in without it being on (it'll automatically turn on if you push a DVD in it).

Nothing.

That sucks. Had my PS3 for some time and its been fine.

Bad luck there I guess, had an IPOD that went bad in under a year, never dropped it and had a good cover.

They replaced it with a brand new one.

Valiant
03-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Well considering most of the consoles ARE basically computers now I don't see the point..

Consoles never beat out PC's they became them..

Bowser
03-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Well considering most of the consoles ARE basically computers now I don't see the point..

Atari 2600 FTW!

Hammock Parties
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
brummmmmmm brummmmmmmmmm

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9591/310411232222439.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=310411232222439.jpg)

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
A PS3 coffin is supposedly on the way.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Consoles use PC parts, just like alot of purpose-built appliances, but they most certainly are NOT PCs.

They're closed computing platforms, which means less potential for bugs and conflicts.

Of course, if they're poorly MADE, manufacturing defects can be a problem, but in all the gaming experience is much, much smoother on a console.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
You have to be shitting me. There is no more perfect controller than the mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Besides, I'm talking about user created content.

Those are probably the two biggest things about PCs.

I have been playing Rome Total War for the better part of two years because of the Extended Greek Mod, which in alot of ways is a whole new game.

I can't even play shooters or RTS games on the console because you really need two independent input devices (ie. Keyboard and mouse).

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
All consumer electronics have a certain failure rate, even PS3s can brick. At least it's a pretty low rate unlike PS1s or early PS2s which were garbage in that regard.

kepp
03-30-2009, 09:19 AM

this

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
All consumer electronics have a certain failure rate, even PS3s can brick. At least it's a pretty low rate unlike PS1s or early PS2s which were garbage in that regard.

Or the 360 which has a failure rate that makes East German cars look appealing.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Definitely, well at least for earlier models. I was just making the comparison to other Sony systems because the PS3 is by far their most reliable console.

Hammock Parties
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I have been playing Rome Total War for the better part of two years because of the Extended Greek Mod

NTTAWWT

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm sorry about your bad luck, but the Sony hardware is superior to Microsoft's in every way. I haven't seen anything about this type of problem on the internet, and my dorky ass checks. Sony will probably get you taken care of as well.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
NTTAWWT

ROFL

Do you like RTS games? XGM for RTW might be one of the best games I've played.

EVER.

Hammock Parties
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
ROFL

EVER.

Never really could get into them. They lose their appeal for me pretty fast. Even the ones with Death Stars.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Never really could get into them. They lose their appeal for me pretty fast. Even the ones with Death Stars.

RTW is not for everybody. It's an attempt at historical re-enactment and with mods, it's ultra-realistic. But it's by far the best RTS I've ever played.

Pants
03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
ROFL

EVER.

Wouldn't call TW games RTS. I'd say they're turned based strategy games with real time tactics. These masterpieces belong in their own category. Empire: TW is like RTW + Civ all in one with naval battle simulators thrown in. Too much for 1 game, lol.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd call the TW games RTS because the main focus of the games are the tactical battles, which is in real time. The map and grand strategy elements of the total war games is pretty shallow, especially compared to real grand strategy games like Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron. I guess you could harp on how the TW games are really tactical games, but by that standard so are all RTS games.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd call the TW games RTS because the main focus of the games are the tactical battles, which is in real time. The map and grand strategy elements of the total war games is pretty shallow, especially compared to real grand strategy games like Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron. I guess you could harp on how the TW games are really tactical games, but by that standard so are all RTS games.

Real time strategy is all about resource management in real time and what buildings to build and what units to build. It's all about counterbalancing enemy units and building as many and as fast as you possibly can. Completely different game styles. TW games are definitely not RTS games.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Real time strategy is all about resource management and what buildings to build and what units to build. Completely different game styles. TW games are definitely not RTS games.

The TW games have those elements, they're just a part of the map and campaign/grand strategy parts of the game. The TW games aren't the same as Starcraft, but they are real-time games that incorporate strategic elements, even if the actual real time battles focus on tactics. It's a grey area, but I'd say they qualify as RTS'. The RTS genre is broader than you are giving it credit for.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
The TW games have those elements, they're just a part of the map and campaign/grand strategy parts of the game. That's why I said it's a turned based strategy game as opposed to real time strategy (RTS)...

The TW games aren't the same as Starcraft, but they are real-time games that incorporate strategic elements, even if the actual real time battles focus on tactics. It's a grey area, but I'd say they qualify as RTS'. The RTS genre is broader than you are giving it credit for.

Like I said, it's not an RTS. It's Civilization that actually lets you fight your own battles, especially their newest title, which has research trees, technologies and religion thrown into the mix.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
That's why I said it's a turned based strategy game as opposed to real time strategy (RTS)...

Like I said, it's not an RTS. It's Civilization that actually lets you fight your own battles, especially their newest title, which has research trees, technologies and religion thrown into the mix.

You are saying that it's a dumbed down Civilization with real time battles in it, but that still makes the total war games at least partially RTS games. The TW games are essentially RTS games with a pretty simplistic grand strategy/turn based element to it. I haven't played Empire TW yet, but the main focus for the TW games has always seemed to be on its real time element.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
... but the main focus for the TW games has always seemed to be on its real time element.

I agree, and what I'm saying is that there is no strategy involved in its real time aspect. Tactics =/= strategy.

RTS = Starcraft, Age of Empires, C&C, etc.

TW games = totally different formula.

Stewie
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
NSFW - Language

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree, and what I'm saying is that there is no strategy involved in its real time aspect. Tactics =/= strategy.

RTS = Starcraft, Age of Empires, C&C, etc.

TW games = totally different formula.

I guess you could categorize it that way, but I've never really found it meaningful to separate RTS and real-time tactical games into separate genres, especially when RTS games are focused on tactics to begin with. Real time vs turn based and tactical vs grand strategy are more useful ways to categorize things.

Swanman
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

That's the truth. I have had 3 360's go RROD. The refurbished one I got back, unless it has the new Falcon motherboard installed on it, will break after a while too.

My PS3 had problems recently (wouldn't play bluray movies but would play games) but I did a system restore that seemed to fix the problem.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
definetly a lemon...

i have an xbox 360 and it still runs fine and so does the ps3 and i use it strictly for blurays too.

I have a 3 year warranty on top of my factory one so if it dies ill get a new one free

crazycoffey
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I use mine all the time too, one year old now, just a few months ago, I noticed how warm it was, even with the power off, now I turn the switch off on the back when I'm done, I hope this will help.

Did you go through this too, anyone anyone....

03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I use mine all the time too, one year old now, just a few months ago, I noticed how warm it was, even with the power off, now I turn the switch off on the back when I'm done, I hope this will help.

Did you go through this too, anyone anyone....Warm? really?

Mine barely gets warm even during gaming.

Noww the 360, on the other hand, can warm a medium room.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Um, the strategic map/economy of RTW is hardly shallow. And if you play a mod, it becomes a game in and of itself.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Um, the strategic map/economy of RTW is hardly shallow. And if you play a mod, it becomes a game in and of itself.

Man, you absolutely must invest into Empire. The trading, research and diplomacy is sooooo much deeper than any of the previous games, it's like a whole new league. Colonization plays a massive role in trading success, and if you do succeed - you can field armies of massive proportions and lay waste to your enemies at your leisure. It's fun as fuck all. We're talking about 4 different theaters of operation here.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

That depends on what you compare it to. Compared to grand strategy focused games such as Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, or say Victoria; then yeah, it is pretty shallow. I can't speak for how this has changed with Empire though.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
That depends on what you compare it to. Compared to grand strategy focused games such as Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, or say Victoria; then yeah, it is pretty shallow. I can't speak for how this has changed with Empire though.

I'm sure it's still shallow compared to the games you listed. Civilization is shallow compared to those games as far as I know (never played any of those).

Buck
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I've used my PS3 a crap-ton too since I bought it (Feb 2008)

Once a month I go at it w/ a can of air.

No problems yet.

Basileus777
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm sure it's still shallow compared to the games you listed. Civilization is shallow compared to those games as far as I know (never played any of those).

Yeah, I'm not trying to knock the TW games, I like them. But as a fan of Paradox I tend to use their grand strategy games as the basis for comparison, and the TW series doesn't have the same strategic depth. But Paradox's games are pretty niche and hardcore, they have steep learning curves and a good deal of a micromanagament.

aturnis
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
brummmmmmm brummmmmmmmmm

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9591/310411232222439.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=310411232222439.jpg)

What is that stupid-ass lookin' stuff? Virgin Star Wars geek pron?

aturnis
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Nothing.

Did someone accidentally flip the power switch in the back? It's a tricky one I know, most people don't even think about it, a lot of people like to leave it on all the time.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm not trying to knock the TW games, I like them. But as a fan of Paradox I tend to use their grand strategy games as the basis for comparison, and the TW series doesn't have the same strategic depth. But Paradox's games are pretty niche and hardcore, they have steep learning curves and a good deal of a micromanagament.

The Europa Barborum mod for RTW is the most in-depth strategy experience I've ever seen, so much so that it's almost unplayable. You'd have to dedicate hours to it just to stay organized.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Did someone accidentally flip the power switch in the back? It's a tricky one I know, most people don't even think about it, a lot of people like to leave it on all the time.

That was one of the first things I checked. No go.

Pants
03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
That was one of the first things I checked. No go.

Says FMB as he unpacks his PS3 out of the return box and plugs it in to watch that goddamn BluRay movie.

;)

Fire Me Boy!
03-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Says FMB as he unpacks his PS3 out of the return box and plugs it in to watch that goddamn BluRay movie.

;)

:D

No, really I didn't even know that switch was back there until I went to unplug it and check the cord.

MMXcalibur
03-31-2009, 06:27 AM
I've always had a PS3. The games are great (regardless of whether their multiplatform or not) and the PlayStation Network is alright (biggest perk: It's free!). I have a few Blu-Ray movies and will occasionally put some on, but its nothing I'm religious about.

I haven't had a problem with my PS3 yet. There's been some minor overheating, but I've heard that's normal and as long as you shut down the machine properly, it'll be just dandy. On the other hand, my brother is on his 3rd XBox 360 (which also just recently RRoD'd him), and he's swaying over to PS3 because of it.