PDA

View Full Version : Music Good music: smooth, jazz, deep vocal

Jenson71
03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
This thread is for the days when relaxing and drinking Cognac is in order. Amps, cowbells, and electric guitars frowned upon. Saxophones preferred.

Of course, smooth jazz is the main feature, but it is of course not limited to that.

Right off the bat, I'll give you a popular song I love: "Warwick Avenue" by Duffy. Not as catchy or groundbreaking as another popular newcomer I like, Adele ("Chasing Pavements") but nice vocals. Another song that's pretty good from her is "Rockferry" but it starts to pick up the pace, though not quite like "Mercy" does.

Another great voice is from Madeleine Peyroux. Listen to her Dylan cover "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go." Like a richer Norah Jones.

But jazz rules the day. For me, Coltrane is tops. "Summertime," "Blue Train," "I'm Old Fashioned," "My Favorite Things," "In a Sentimental Mood" I can listen for all time. A Love Supreme is the greatest body of work of his.

Other than Coltrane, Brubeck's "Strange Meadowlark" takes the prize from me.

I get some good music from movies, as well. Chinatown and The Conversation have some great music that would fit in this category.

Okay, I'm eager to hear of other suggestions.

Demonpenz
03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
if you are deep into whiskey or weed, stevie ray vaughn riveria paridise

Bowser
03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Madeleine Peyroux is going to be in concert in KC soon.

Bowser
03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Madeleine Peyroux is going to be in concert in KC soon.

Or not. Her website doesn't list a KC date. Could have sworn I saw an advertisement for her.

phisherman
03-30-2009, 06:59 AM
she just played here at the folly or the midland in the last month.