PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Screw Netflix .....another Blu-Ray price increase

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 1 DVD at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $2 a month. The price of your 1 DVD at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $8.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $2 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix TeamHad I not just had 7 of 8 discs broken in the past 12 days, and been deprived of most of my service paid for for that period, I might be more open to a 300% increase in Blu-Ray cost.

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM
That's why I don't have Blu-Ray rentals on my Netflix account. I do have it up to 3 DVDs at a time though.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Going from $18 to $20 a month isn't going to kill me, i avg about 3-6 discs a week watched so it's still more than paying for itself

I haven't recieved this email yet though

Buck
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow, I guess I got out at the right time.

Also, I sent back my last 2 movies then I quit the plan, and then they sent me 2 more like a week later, and called to tell me that I owed them money after a couple months, and I told them to piss off, and now I have 2 extra movies.

21 on Blu-Ray
Tombstone - DVD

Fish
03-30-2009, 03:41 PM
A $1 increase? Those greedy heartless mother****ers!!

They ship selected movies to my front door, and have been providing the greatly increased quality of Blu-ray for some time now at only an additional dollar charge, but now they expect me to pay another $1/month? What a terrible terrible time we live in...

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 03:45 PM

They ship selected movies to my front door, and have been providing the greatly increased quality of Blu-ray for some time now at only an additional dollar charge, but now they expect me to pay another $1/month? What a terrible terrible time we live in...

Exactly, saved me a ton on rentals and i rarely buy dvds now

jiveturkey
03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll gladly pay the additional buck. The PS3 has kept my theater going experiences to 4 in the last 12 months.

03-30-2009, 03:49 PM

They ship selected movies to my front door, and have been providing the greatly increased quality of Blu-ray for some time now at only an additional dollar charge, but now they expect me to pay another $1/month? What a terrible terrible time we live in...I think he is more upset with the fact they just raised it the first buck not that long ago and now they are raising it again. Who's to say they won't use the same excuse six months from now and raise it yet again.

The price of Blu Rays ticks me off because all it does is raise the cost of all the rentals and monthly services that offer them. Blu Rays are overpriced as it is.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 03:50 PM

for me it's an increase of $3 a month for the 3-out plan. That's 20% overall. To keep getting broken discs because they are unwilling to redesign their envelope.

I had 7 of 8 Blu-Rays show up broken in the last 2 weeks. So I've essentially had no service for 2 weeks. And these were brand new releases, so they weren't broken from use.

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
for me it's an increase of $3 a month for the 3-out plan. That's 20% overall. To keep getting broken discs because they are unwilling to redesign their envelope.

I had 7 of 8 Blu-Rays show up broken in the last 2 weeks. So I've essentially had no service for 2 weeks. And these were brand new releases, so they weren't broken from use.

I haven't gotten a broken disc from Netflix ever. Your mailman must suck.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM

I've had netflix for a year and a half and never have recieved a broken disc. Avging 12-24 discs a month sent

Your mailman sucks

jiveturkey
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been with Netflix for 2 years and I've received 1 broken disc.

If sounds like your mailman might be retard strong.

Miles
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I occasionally get a cracked disc but not frequently enough for me to care. Maybe once every few months or so.

03-30-2009, 03:59 PM

I had 7 of 8 Blu-Rays show up broken in the last 2 weeks. So I've essentially had no service for 2 weeks. And these were brand new releases, so they weren't broken from use.I would cmplain to the postal service. They are obviously to blame.

Discs don't just break. Especially Blu Ray discs.

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah.....your mailman must hate you.

Miles
03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
For the 3 out at a time the increase to $4 for blu-ray is pretty irritating considering how long it takes to get a new release on blu-ray if you don't get it on on the release date. The new streaming player/format has also been kind of shitty since the recent change. The new player functions a bit better but the image isn't as sharp and there are many compression artifacts.

Blockbuster is only $16 for 3 out at a time (without the store swap option) vs $21 for Netflix. Think I might give that a try at the end of my Netflix billing cycle.

Baby Lee
03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I've been in since the beginning, $12.99 for 4 at a time unlimited. Out of some 300+, maybe 400 rentals, I've had maybe 3 broken discs.

Deberg_1990
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I got the same email. I jusrt removed Blue Ray from my account preferences.

Its not important enough for me to.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I haven't gotten a broken disc from Netflix ever. Your mailman must suck.

I hadn't for 4 years. BluRays are more rigid that DVDs and the mail system doesn't like them.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I would cmplain to the postal service. They are obviously to blame.

Discs don't just break. Especially Blu Ray discs.

It is an issue with Netflix's mailers. They work fine for DVDs because DVDs are more flexible. BluRays crack when handled the same way. They need a stiffer mailer.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
That may be so, but every movie i get is a bluray and our mailers must be doing something right if everyone has worked

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
That may be so, but every movie i get is a bluray and our mailers must be doing something right if everyone has worked

I'd gotten dozens of BluRays without an issue until about 2 months ago, then a random cracked disc, then 7 in less than 2 weeks. Upon googling, you will see it's a very common issue. I saw where one guy got the same movie sent 8 times and every disc got cracked.

USPS blames Netflix for a mailer that's too flimsy and requires hand sorting. Netflix blames USPS. I blame Netflix ultimately because they are who take my money every month, and they are well aware and ignoring the issue.

I'd be more understanding if their attitude was better about it, but it took me calling twice after the first 5 discs to get them even to offer to send me ONE extra rental for my hassle.

And I have been a staunch supporter of Netflix for years...

Valiant
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Had I not just had 7 of 8 discs broken in the past 12 days, and been deprived of most of my service paid for for that period, I might be more open to a 300% increase in Blu-Ray cost.

Mostly that is the post services fault..

As for bluray.. It is 4 dollars a month to add it to my 3 at a time.. That seems like a steal if I had a player..

Seems to me Netflix might have been making no profit off of bluray as the library grew, now that it did they are charging a fair amount..

-------------------

Side note: I have the 3 unlimited plan, is anyone else always getting an extra movie?? They generally ship me 4 movies, I am still be charged for only the 3 at a time rate so I am not complaining..

I also average about 25+ movies a month, so it is a great deal for me..

Valiant
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Imagine the cost if they had a beefier sleeve to the consumer?? You are already mad about a cheap price, what are you going to do if they raise it 5-7 dollars a month for new design costs??

And why is it taking so long to get replacement dvds??? I click the link and usually get it the next day in the mail??

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Imagine the cost if they had a beefier sleeve to the consumer?? You are already mad about a cheap price, what are you going to do if they raise it 5-7 dollars a month for new design costs??

And why is it taking so long to get replacement dvds??? I click the link and usually get it the next day in the mail??

Netflix no longer sends replacements until they receive the disc back (or at least until it's scanned by USPS). For instance, when I called Saturday to express my frustration that ALL THREE discs that arrived that day were cracked, he gave me an extra disc. Since they don't mail on Saturdays, my 4 discs didn't ship until today.

So far in the last 2 weeks I've gotten 4 cracked copies of Pride & Glory, 2 broken Twilight, 1 Synedoche NY, and a partridge in a pear tree.

This is the type of damage that http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked-netflix-blu-ray-disc-problem/

Valiant
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
For the 3 out at a time the increase to $4 for blu-ray is pretty irritating considering how long it takes to get a new release on blu-ray if you don't get it on on the release date. The new streaming player/format has also been kind of shitty since the recent change. The new player functions a bit better but the image isn't as sharp and there are many compression artifacts.

Blockbuster is only $16 for 3 out at a time (without the store swap option) vs $21 for Netflix. Think I might give that a try at the end of my Netflix billing cycle.

Have tried blockbuster, they suck horribly.. Way way longer turn around and smaller selection of movies which is wierd.. Then I have read the in-store movies count towards your out movies until they are returned.. Then you cannot also keep instore movies out as long as you want..

Just went to blockbuster.com, it is 19.99 a month plus free blurays.. So you will be saving a dollar a month if you watch bluray movies compared to netflix two plans together.. So basically they are prepackaging it with the cost.. So if you don't watch bluray you are screwed..

Wow I sound like a fanboy.. You can try them as I did, but in the end blockbuster just disappointed me..

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM

according to USPS it would simply require them to change how the current sleeve has a tear off cover. The USPS indicates that the mail-out sleeve is fine, it's only when the cover is torn off that they see the worst of the problem.

rad
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd gotten dozens of BluRays without an issue until about 2 months ago, then a random cracked disc, then 7 in less than 2 weeks. Upon googling, you will see it's a very common issue. I saw where one guy got the same movie sent 8 times and every disc got cracked.

USPS blames Netflix for a mailer that's too flimsy and requires hand sorting. Netflix blames USPS. I blame Netflix ultimately because they are who take my money every month, and they are well aware and ignoring the issue.

I'd be more understanding if their attitude was better about it, but it took me calling twice after the first 5 discs to get them even to offer to send me ONE extra rental for my hassle.

And I have been a staunch supporter of Netflix for years...

I guess you're paying for replacing all those broken BR discs with the increase.....buncha BS if you ask me. They need to reinforce the envelope, even if they just put a piece of cardboard in the current mailers with the disc to reinforce it. Shouldn't be that much more expensive. I'd rather they use the increase to fix the problem than replace broken/damaged discs.

Maybe they are, who knows?

Valiant
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Netflix no longer sends replacements until they receive the disc back (or at least until it's scanned by USPS). For instance, when I called Saturday to express my frustration that ALL THREE discs that arrived that day were cracked, he gave me an extra disc. Since they don't mail on Saturdays, my 4 discs didn't ship until today.

So far in the last 2 weeks I've gotten 4 cracked copies of Pride & Glory, 2 broken Twilight, 1 Synedoche NY, and a partridge in a pear tree.

This is the type of damage that http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked-netflix-blu-ray-disc-problem/

Really because as soon as I submit the problem it says the disc is sent out for me.. Of course there might be a difference between bluray and dvd procedures since I don't own one.. Will not probably buy one for another 3-5 years when they make dvd sales obsolete..

I had a disc come friday and it was broke(first one in like 8 months), I got the replacement saturday..

The only thing about netflix that pisses me off is them giving me season discs out of order, wtf am I going to do with disc 3 when I don't have the first two???

Personally I think that your mailman must be getting pissed with all the discs he has to deliver and is breaking them, which would just require more work for him.. He is not a smart man.. I would actually send a query if anyone else in your area is having this many problems with broken discs..

Miles
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Have tried blockbuster, they suck horribly.. Way way longer turn around and smaller selection of movies which is wierd.. Then I have read the in-store movies count towards your out movies until they are returned.. Then you cannot also keep instore movies out as long as you want..

Just went to blockbuster.com, it is 19.99 a month plus free blurays.. So you will be saving a dollar a month if you watch bluray movies compared to netflix two plans together.. So basically they are prepackaging it with the cost.. So if you don't watch bluray you are screwed..

Wow I sound like a fanboy.. You can try them as I did, but in the end blockbuster just disappointed me..

The 19.99 plan from Blockbuster is the one that includes 5 in-store swap outs per month. The plan with 3 out at a time through the mail is 15.99.

I used blockbuster a while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) and their turnaround was about the same as Netflix but things could have changed. I do remember their website being kind of shitty and their selection of more eclectic stuff not as good.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Really because as soon as I submit the problem it says the disc is sent out for me.. Of course there might be a difference between bluray and dvd procedures since I don't own one.. Will not probably buy one for another 3-5 years when they make dvd sales obsolete..

I had a disc come friday and it was broke(first one in like 8 months), I got the replacement saturday..

The only thing about netflix that pisses me off is them giving me season discs out of order, wtf am I going to do with disc 3 when I don't have the first two???

Personally I think that your mailman must be getting pissed with all the discs he has to deliver and is breaking them, which would just require more work for him.. He is not a smart man.. I would actually send a query if anyone else in your area is having this many problems with broken discs..

dude, google it. This is a known, nationwide issue. It is not my mailman. I've had the same guy for years, and he's a nice guy.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/mysteries/a-plague-of-cracked-blu+ray-discs-from-netflix-309135.php

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/532176-cracked-blu-rays-netflix.html

http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked-netflix-blu-ray-disc-problem/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16153824

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65038

http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/forum/topics/damaged-bluray-discs

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-media/77871-netflix-blu-rays-coming-cracked.html

03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
The 19.99 plan from Blockbuster is the one that includes 5 in-store swap outs per month. The plan with 3 out at a time through the mail is 15.99.

I used blockbuster a while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) and their turnaround was about the same as Netflix but things could have changed. I do remember their website being kind of shitty and their selection of more eclectic stuff not as good.I used BB a while back and they were OK. I really liked the option of being able to return the movies in store to pick up another rental for free. But then they changed everything and took that option away from my plan AND provided one less DVD per month to boot. Needless to say, I ended my membership that night.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I haven't gotten a broken disc from Netflix ever. Your mailman must suck.This.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 07:35 PM
I refuse to pay more than $20 for blu-ray movie.

03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I refuse to pay more than $20 for blu-ray movie.Most I have ever paid for one is $18. I hate waiting for sales but no way in hell am I paying $30 for those discs.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, they want to raise mine up $2 a month. That would put it at right around $20 a month for 2 at a time, and frankly I just signed up 2 months ago strictly for blu ray. The only thing I've ordered that wasn't available on blu ray was the John Adams mini series. (Holy fucking Christ was it good.)

I only swap out 6-8 movies a month. I'm not sure it's worth it as I've always been generally able to live without movies. I may be the one to test whether or not they'll actually charge it when I cancel my membership.

Valiant
03-30-2009, 08:11 PM

I used blockbuster a while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) and their turnaround was about the same as Netflix but things could have changed. I do remember their website being kind of shitty and their selection of more eclectic stuff not as good.

I don't see that option..

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/plan/

Valiant
03-30-2009, 08:14 PM
dude, google it. This is a known, nationwide issue. It is not my mailman. I've had the same guy for years, and he's a nice guy.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/mysteries/a-plague-of-cracked-blu+ray-discs-from-netflix-309135.php

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/532176-cracked-blu-rays-netflix.html

http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked-netflix-blu-ray-disc-problem/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16153824

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65038

http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/forum/topics/damaged-bluray-discs

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-media/77871-netflix-blu-rays-coming-cracked.html

Uhh sorry, but most of those seem like the minority not the average from reading those posts in the threads.. Most people do not have problems..

Again seems to be your mailman..

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Notice no extra charge for blu ray at Blockbuster, and you get a few in store swaps a month. Oh, and discounted game rentals. Bye bye netflix, I never would've known had you not gotten greedy.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't see that option..

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/plan/

Click see all plans and look on the bottom right.

Valiant
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Click see all plans and look on the bottom right.

ahhh.. Totally missed that..

If their library wasn't soo small I would consider another trial shot.. I generally netflix series and anime and go to family video/redbox for new releases..

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Uhh sorry, but most of those seem like the minority not the average from reading those posts in the threads.. Most people do not have problems..

Again seems to be your mailman..

christ you're fucking obstinate. Yes, I'm sure it's a conspiracy by my mailman and others all over the country to vandalize Netflix discs. But only the BluRays. And only recently.

Dumbass.

Miles
03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Notice no extra charge for blu ray at Blockbuster, and you get a few in store swaps a month. Oh, and discounted game rentals. Bye bye netflix, I never would've known had you not gotten greedy.

Any idea what the discounted game rentals amounts to? I can't seem to find out the cost per game rental with this anywhere.

Miles
03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
christ you're ****ing obstinate. Yes, I'm sure it's a conspiracy by my mailman and others all over the country to vandalize Netflix discs. But only the BluRays. And only recently.

Dumbass.

Sounds like your mailman doesn't like you.

BigMeatballDave
03-31-2009, 12:43 AM
I fucking hate that shit. I have to rearrange my queue.

Silock
03-31-2009, 12:44 AM
I've had Netflix since they started their service (what, 8 years ago?). In 2 different cities. Literally hundreds of discs.

Not ONCE have I EVER received a broken disc.

Your mailman sucks.

Valiant
03-31-2009, 01:57 AM
christ you're ****ing obstinate. Yes, I'm sure it's a conspiracy by my mailman and others all over the country to vandalize Netflix discs. But only the BluRays. And only recently.

Dumbass.

I am sorry you are an ignorant fuck and do not EVEN READ YOUR own links..

The shit goes on back to 07, and even still in your own links says it is the in minority with tons and tons of people (like on here) saying they have no problems.. I am glad your 1% percent minority makes it the norm you fucking dimwit..

Hopefully they keep fucking with your discs, the mailmen must know you are a dickhead..

03-31-2009, 02:26 AM
I will say this much, if Gamefly can afford to put discs in cardboard sleeves, you would think Netflix could as well.

KCChiefsMan
03-31-2009, 02:54 AM
I've never had a broken disc from netflix. I dont have a blu ray player though, but if I did I would pay it because I watch a lot of movies and I definately get my money worht

penguinz
03-31-2009, 03:09 AM
2 broken Twilight, Are you a 13 year old girl?

03-31-2009, 03:35 AM
Are you a 13 year old girl?Cruel!!!ROFL

unlurking
03-31-2009, 05:01 AM
One more vote for never had a single broken disc. Had a few of scratched/dirty ones, only one of which I could not repair.

Also, $1 a month isn't going to break my monthly entertainment allowance, so this doesn't really bother me.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
FWIW Wal-Mart has some decent blu-rays for $10.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2009, 06:22 AM
I will say this much, if Gamefly can afford to put discs in cardboard sleeves, you would think Netflix could as well.

The cost of material probably does not equal the amount of broken discs they have to replace, where gamefly deals in lower volume and higher priced discs.

ZepSinger
03-31-2009, 06:26 AM
I usually just choose from the 12,000+ titles that are available online by connecting my laptop to my 50" plasma. I think eventually most of their catalog will be presented this way....

Z

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Are you a 13 year old girl?

no, but my wife wanted to see it. She works at the public library and staff was supposed to read the book when it came out, but it was so poorly written she stopped halfway through. She wanted to see what the hype was all about.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 07:45 AM
I've had Netflix since they started their service (what, 8 years ago?). In 2 different cities. Literally hundreds of discs.

Not ONCE have I EVER received a broken disc.

Your mailman sucks.

I was right with you, had never had a broken DVD in years, and never understood how some people had so many problems with it, but since I started Blu-Ray I've had 8 total in about a year, 7 in 2 weeks.

If you read the links I posted, it isn't a widespread problem, but it happens enough around the country that they ought to be addressing it in some fashion. And the reports of people getting disc after disc after disc all cracked are common amongst those posting.

Some of you ****wits like Valiant don't seem to understand this is not someone snapping the disc in half. This is a 1/16" to 1/4" crack from the outer edge of the disc. The mail carrier is not causing this, it is the sorting machine at the postal facility bending the disc. A Bluray, due to the anti-scratch coating, is more rigid than a dvd and thus more susceptible to damage by the bending pressure of the sorting machine.

For those that do not know, your disc travels to the post office from Netflix pre-sorted in bins by zip codes to speed the process. The USPS takes them, runs them through a sorting machine out to the trucks and sends them to you. The USPS has investigated and determined that some damage occurs at this point. Once you watch the disc and return it, it is scanned and sorted again at the postal facility. This is where most of the damage is believed to occur, because by this point, the person has removed the cover from the mailer. The USPS contends that this flimsier envelope is getting jammed in the machines, and also is the cause of most of the damage because the mailer is now less rigid than before. Netflix knows this, and has of yet refused to address it, saying that the USPS should instead hand sort them (costing the USPS more to do so). USPS last year told Netflix they needed to start paying more for this, and Netflix is refusing.

And again, my biggest issue is that Netflix treats it like a non-issue. After 2 weeks of bullshit, they should at the very least immediately sent the replacements, and preferably given a credit.

BigMeatballDave
03-31-2009, 07:46 AM
FWIW Wal-Mart has some decent blu-rays for $10.Yep. I bought most of them. They have quite a few for $15, also.

Molitoth
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
no, but my wife wanted to see it. She works at the public library and staff was supposed to read the book when it came out, but it was so poorly written she stopped halfway through. She wanted to see what the hype was all about.

Didn't this book win all kinds of awards? How does that justify "poorly written"?

Not that I'm defending it, I've never read/scene it.

Pride and Glory is a badass movie too, hopefully you won't get that one cracked again.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Didn't this book win all kinds of awards? How does that justify "poorly written"?

Not that I'm defending it, I've never read/scene it.

Pride and Glory is a badass movie too, hopefully you won't get that one cracked again.

I didn't read it, but it's young adult fiction, and Stephanie Meyers is apparently not a good author. Apparently even Stephen King slammed her as being a terible author, and if you know King, he's no Shakespeare and doesn't pretend to be....

MTG#10
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Damn, since when did Netflix charge extra for Blu-Rays? I canceled my membership sometime last year and then it was the same price whether you got DVD's or BD's.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Damn, since when did Netflix charge extra for Blu-Rays? I canceled my membership sometime last year and then it was the same price whether you got DVD's or BD's.

They started it about 6 or 7 months ago. This is their 2nd price hike on Blue rays.

Consistent1
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Do they have those "movie box' deals with blu ray stuff available? We don't really rent many DVD's, but use those anymore when we do. We never have any real problem getting what we want for $1 a movie. Blu ray would probably cost more there also though.

The Franchise
03-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Gamefly has to protect $60 games......not $15-$20 movies.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Gamefly has to protect $60 games......not $15-$20 movies.

meh, bad argument. Gamefly also probably only sees one rental per game for every 4 or 5 rentals of a movie. NF has a huge subscriber base in comparison. If GF can make it work, NF should be able to as well.

Miles
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Do they have those "movie box' deals with blu ray stuff available? We don't really rent many DVD's, but use those anymore when we do. We never have any real problem getting what we want for $1 a movie. Blu ray would probably cost more there also though.

Redbox supposedly has some at "select" Wal-Mart locations but I have no idea how to figure out which ones. I would imagine they are fairly limited.

http://www.redbox.com/ads/bluray.aspx

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
well, and update:

Got 4 Blu Rays today. 3 are cracked.

MTG#10
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
well, and update:

Holy shit wtf does your postman do to them? In two years of Netflix service I received 5 cracked discs total.

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I just remember 1 disc never making it due to the mailman putting it in the wrong box. I noticed it and sent out for another disc, sent, no ?'s asked and later informed me that the person who got it sent it back in the mail 2 days later. Netflix is great for me, and it helps to have the warehouse in kc

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
well, and update:

You need to go to your post office and get this shit taken care of, seems a little out of control honestly

Valiant
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
You need to go to your post office and get this shit taken care of, seems a little out of control honestly

Honestly, I am his mailman..

Buck
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I read somewhere in one of those links that the extra protective coating on the blu-ray disks makes them more rigid and susceptable to cracking.

This wouldn't be an issue w/ a Blu-Ray you own because its less likely to bend than if it were in a mailman's bag, or just a mail bag in general with other stuff on top of it.

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
ROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Holy shit wtf does your postman do to them? In two years of Netflix service I received 5 cracked discs total.

IT IS NOT THE MAILMAN. It is the sorting machine at the post office wherever the discs are mailed from or at the local post office. It's not a person, it's a machine.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM

I just got off the phone from reporting it to the USPS. Didn't seem to care....aware of the problem yada yada.

Basically USPS (rightfully) blames Netflix, Netflix blames USPS. Customer loses.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM

ROFL

I figured it was Skip. that guy will do anything to piss me off...

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I just got off the phone from reporting it to the USPS. Didn't seem to care....aware of the problem yada yada.

Basically USPS (rightfully) blames Netflix, Netflix blames USPS. Customer loses.

That sucks, you may as well go with another service since your postal service sucks. I know atleast 7 or 8 people that have netflix, and thats why i got it and they never have had issues. I think only 2 friends have recieved a damaged disc once

Valiant
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
ROFL

I figured it was Skip. that guy will do anything to piss me off...

They retired him went they went away from horses...

mikeyis4dcats.
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
That sucks, you may as well go with another service since your postal service sucks. I know atleast 7 or 8 people that have netflix, and thats why i got it and they never have had issues. I think only 2 friends have recieved a damaged disc once

It's a Bluray issue. Before last week I had had one damaged BluRay several months ago, and NEVER a damaged DVD in over 4 years.

Miles
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
It's a Bluray issue. Before last week I had had one damaged BluRay several months ago, and NEVER a damaged DVD in over 4 years.

Every Blu-Ray I have received in the 8 months or so I have been using the Blu-Ray feature has been nearly flawless. Odd that this would suddenly start happening to you after working fine for a while.

03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
FWIW Wal-Mart has some decent blu-rays for $10.What titles? the scifi movie trash? That is all I ever see under $15 there.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
What titles? the scifi movie trash? That is all I ever see under $15 there.

I did see Terminator 2 for 10 bucks.

03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I did see Terminator 2 for 10 bucks.How is the transfer? I mean is it leaps and bounds over DVD upconvert? Some Blu Rays really look no better on certain movies.

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
How is the transfer? I mean is it leaps and bounds over DVD upconvert? Some Blu Rays really look no better on certain movies.

It's not worth it, it looks real grainy

I dont think there is any real upgrade I got it for $5, i watch my extreme edition dvd still

unlurking
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Every Blu-Ray I have received in the 8 months or so I have been using the Blu-Ray feature has been nearly flawless. Odd that this would suddenly start happening to you after working fine for a while.

Exactly. Did the post office recently replace/upgrade their sorting machine? If it was fine for months until last week, this is definitely a USPS issue.

BigMeatballDave
03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
What titles? the scifi movie trash? That is all I ever see under $15 there.
Crash and The Punisher.

03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Crash and The Punisher.I'll have to look again. Didn't see Crash in there. No interest in The Punisher though.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
has anyone on planet earth seriously ever paid $30 for a blu ray?

04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
has anyone on planet earth seriously ever paid $30 for a blu ray?Only with a gift card that I received for free that couldn't be used online.

unlurking
04-03-2009, 04:33 AM
has anyone on planet earth seriously ever paid $30 for a blu ray?

I paid $60 for the Planet Earth series and the Resident Evil Trilogy. Was an impulse buy when I picked up my son's PS3, and the only BR titles we own. I figured at least buying a 3 disc series, I was getting them for $20 instead of $30.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I paid $60 for the Planet Earth series and the Resident Evil Trilogy. Was an impulse buy when I picked up my son's PS3, and the only BR titles we own. I figured at least buying a 3 disc series, I was getting them for $20 instead of $30.

yeah, that's fine.

but i mean, has anybody ever paid $30 of their own money for one regular movie on blu ray?

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
yeah, that's fine.

but i mean, has anybody ever paid $30 of their own money for one regular movie on blu ray?

IM surprised Blue Ray new releases have not come down to the magical $19.95 arena yet?

Thats how Standard DVD grew so fast in the late 90's early 2000's.

04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
IM surprised Blue Ray new releases have not come down the magical $19.95 arena yet?

Thats how Standard DVD grew so fast in the late 90's early 2000's.It better eventually.

unlurking
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I think DVDs just grew in popularity quicker. BR seems to have a slower adoption rate.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
It better eventually.

Until it does, i can live with standard DVD for awhile.

IMO, standard DVD is good enough for most people and will be around for a long time. Heck, look how long VHS stuck around.

04-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I think DVDs just grew in popularity quicker. BR seems to have a slower adoption rate.DVD was a HUGE leap. BD, though big in itself, is not the same HUGE leap in the publics eyes.

Until it does, i can live with standard DVD for awhile.

IMO, standard DVD is good enough for most people and will be around for a long time. Heck, look how long VHS stuck around.Agreed on this point. Generally, I only purchase BD if it is a movie that truly benefits from HD. I have no plans though, to replace any of my DVDs with BDs.