PDA

View Full Version : Music So- Did anyone go to SXSW this year?

ZepSinger
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Just wondered how the economy affected it. Less bands? Less clubs? Less parties? None of the above?

Z

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
I went drove to Austin on a Friday and stayed until late Saturday. This was my second year and to be honest I didn't see much of a difference. You can go down there and still have a blast even without buying the expensive wristband.

Highlights of my trip:

Just walking down the street and unexpectantly being able to catch Metallicas secret show at Stubbs promoting guitar hero.

Met and got my picture taken with Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. For me this is the equivelant of a catholic meeting the pope.

Seeing the Circle Jerks headline the Mess with Texas party.

Lots of great bands too many too mention.

Overall IMO it is worth the trip. I may consider shelling out the cash for a wristband next year. It is a great time.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
AustinChief had a pool party in his backyard.

ZepSinger
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Overall IMO it is worth the trip. I may consider shelling out the cash for a wristband next year. It is a great time.

My band played SXSW in '93- it was awesome. I understand it's grown a ton since then...

Z

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
My band played SXSW in '93- it was awesome. I understand it's grown a ton since then...

Z

I'm sure it has. It's just an awesome experience walking down 6th street and seeing a band playing in every bar.

AustinChief
03-31-2009, 01:57 PM

With crappy DJs and Brittaney Starr.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2009, 02:01 PM

Z

Not really.

In the last decade, it's become more of a place for labels to pimp their signed bands and far less of a place for labels to see unsigned talent.

There's no better example of this than a performance by Metallica, of all bands.

It's pretty much nothing more than a "Trade Show".

AustinChief
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

SWEET! found video from the party on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5eBc1Lru0

wow, it appears there are 5 parts to it and they all focus on the same girl...

The person taking the video appears to be two balconies over and one down from me.

AustinChief
03-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Just wondered how the economy affected it. Less bands? Less clubs? Less parties? None of the above?

Z

It was about the same as last year, maybe slightly bigger actually. The film and technology sections have really grown the most in recent years.

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Not really.

In the last decade, it's become more of a place for labels to pimp their signed bands and far less of a place for labels to see unsigned talent.

There's no better example of this than a performance by Metallica, of all bands.

Yeah but how many other times in your life are you going to see Metallica play a venue as small as Stubbs BBQ? That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Not really.

I thought its also a movie festival as well?

AustinChief
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM

It is. And they have an "interactive" part that is about technology, especially focused on media.

AustinChief
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM

yep, "I love you man" premiered at SXSW this year

DaneMcCloud
04-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Like I said, it's become an "Industry" trade show. Sony, Uni, WB and Paramount showcase their bands and their movies.

The idea of packing up, heading to Austin and showcasing for the major labels is long dead.

It's just a place for those companies (that rule entertainment) to showcase their latest movies and music for each other outside of Los Angeles.

Miles
04-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Like I said, it's become an "Industry" trade show. Sony, Uni, WB and Paramount showcase their bands and their movies.

The idea of packing up, heading to Austin and showcasing for the major labels is long dead.

It's just a place for those companies (that rule entertainment) to showcase their latest movies and music for each other outside of Los Angeles.

Very true but at least it still seems like an event where some lesser known bands, even though they are already signed, play before they are well known.

ZepSinger
04-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Not really.

Well, that's a bummer. It wasn't like that when I played there- it really was about finding new, undiscovered talent to sign. In fact, I don't remember any signed bands being there at all. And yeah, walking down 6th street and doing bars like Emo's was very cool...

Z

patteeu
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, that's a bummer. It wasn't like that when I played there- it really was about finding new, undiscovered talent to sign. In fact, I don't remember any signed bands being there at all. And yeah, walking down 6th street and doing bars like Emo's was very cool...

Z

Speaking of Emo's, I was just looking at the tour schedule for the Brian Jonestown Massacre, who I believe were in Austin for SXSW, and it looks like they're going to be back in Austin at Emo's on April 14. I'd love to go, but I won't be able to make it down there, especially on a Tuesday night.

Fat Elvis
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Speaking of Emo's, I was just looking at the tour schedule for the Brian Jonestown Massacre, who I believe were in Austin for SXSW, and it looks like they're going to be back in Austin at Emo's on April 14. I'd love to go, but I won't be able to make it down there, especially on a Tuesday night.

Based upon your posts, I could never imagine you at Emo's....

patteeu
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Based upon your posts, I could never imagine you at Emo's....

Do I come across as under-aged?

I don't mind mingling with the riff raff (i.e. liberal anarchist neohippie punks) from time to time. I can even blend in without too much effort. :)