PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports That's why you need to find a tougher conference, Memphis Tigers

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 07:54 PM
You don't have much without Calipari.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow this has to be the dumbest fucking reason I keep hearing out of all these dickwad BCS fans. You just cant pick and choose to be in a BC$ conference.

Mecca
03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh for the love of christ.

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't wanna pile on the Memphis fans. I feel for 'em, honestly.

I'm glad as hell they didn't get our coach... but I wish them luck with whoever they do get.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Good luck rebuilding. It helps to be in a bad conference.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow this has to be the dumbest ****ing reason I keep hearing out of all these dickwad BCS fans. You just cant pick and choose to be in a BC$ conference.
Hey, you better stop typing and get back to sucking Mecca's schlong.

Mecca
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Mr Krabs here to provide about the same thing he usually does.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 08:03 PM
They don't need a better conference now. That problem has been solved.

Bugeater
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Why does Mr Krabs have an apostrophe in is his name anyway? What is he possessing?

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Wow this has to be the dumbest ****ing reason I keep hearing out of all these dickwad BCS fans. You just cant pick and choose to be in a BC$ conference.

Actually, you pretty much can. There isn't much that ties a team to a conference. It wouldn't take much for the Big XII to absorb Memphis and boot out either Baylor or Colorado.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking Memphis belongs in the SEC.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Why does Mr Krabs have an apostrophe in is his name anyway? What is he possessing?

It's a proper noun. He can spell it however he wants. Remember JamesOn Curry?

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Good grief.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:08 PM

Why would you put a basketball school in the SEC? Kentucky is already the odd team out. It would make more sense for Kentucky to leave than Memphis to join.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Why would you put a basketball school in the SEC? Kentucky is already the odd team out. It would make more sense for Kentucky to leave than Memphis to join.

just based on geography

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
just based on geography

The Big East would probably be the most natural fit. Of course, the Big Ten would make the most sense. They really need to either gain a team or lose a team. A conference of 11 is just a clusterf*ck.

Bugeater
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, they can take Arkansas' place, and the Big XII can tell Baylor to pound sand and take them.

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Yep, they can take Arkansas' place, and the Big XII can tell Baylor to pound sand and take them.That'd be cool.

Mecca
03-31-2009, 08:23 PM

His little Krabs?

KevB
03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Where's UP....this should be fun.

Sure-Oz
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Poor UP, and the rest of the memphis fan base

Spicy McHaggis
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I feel for the Memphis fans. I mean, this sort of thing happens but the way it was done, the timing, everything, it just sucks to the nth power.

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Where's UP....this should be fun.I think UP gave up on sports fandom.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Case in point, ArrowheadHawk.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Yep, they can take Arkansas' place, and the Big XII can tell Baylor to pound sand and take them.

I hear a lot of talk about booting Baylor, and I can't say that I disagree. Being a private school, they are out of place in the conference plus they don't bring much to the table in terms of major sports ability. I'm just surprised that I don't hear as much of the same kind of talk about Colorado. Geographically speaking, they don't make much sense, and they don't bring much to the table athletically, either. They are the only team outside of the Central time zone, and they haven't been relevant in either major sport in over a decade.

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I feel for the Memphis fans. I mean, this sort of thing happens but the way it was done, the timing, everything, it just sucks to the nth power.Yeah... like the whole house of cards came crashing down at once.

Again, as happy as I am that they didn't end up with my team's coach... I feel bad for the Memphis fans. These past couple of days have been a crushing blow.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah... like the whole house of cards came crashing down at once.

Again, as happy as I am that they didn't end up with my team's coach... I feel bad for the Memphis fans. These past couple of days have been a crushing blow.

That's what happens when you hire a mercenary. They should just be glad that he stayed as long as he did and left their program in a much stronger place than he found it.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Actually, you pretty much can. There isn't much that ties a team to a conference. It wouldn't take much for the Big XII to absorb Memphis and boot out either Baylor or Colorado.Actually, you're kind of fucking retarded.

2003 was home to the worst sports-related feeling I've ever felt. We did EVERYTHING we could to get into the Big East. They picked nationally recognized powerhouse USF instead. IT'S SO EASY, HURF DE DURF.

That's what happens when you hire a mercenary. They should just be glad that he stayed as long as he did and left their program in a much stronger place than he found it.He fucking annihilated it and took everything that wasn't bolted down. THANKS CAL!

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
I hear a lot of talk about booting Baylor, and I can't say that I disagree. Being a private school, they are out of place in the conference plus they don't bring much to the table in terms of major sports ability. I'm just surprised that I don't hear as much of the same kind of talk about Colorado. Geographically speaking, they don't make much sense, and they don't bring much to the table athletically, either. They are the only team outside of the Central time zone, and they haven't been relevant in either major sport in over a decade.

Denver tv market and football, thats enough to keep Colorado around.

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Why Baylor? They're competitive in just about every sport.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Yep, they can take Arkansas' place, and the Big XII can tell Missouri to pound sand and take them.

Fixed it.

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Fixed it.LMAO

You wish.

Spicy McHaggis
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Denver tv market and football, thats enough to keep Colorado around.

And KU needs to keeps its "home" games there in basketball.

Bugeater
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Why Baylor? They're competitive in just about every sport.
Well they are now, finally, 12 years after the conference was established. I just never cared for the way they were foisted on to the Big XII.

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Case in point, ArrowheadHawk.

?

Frazod
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Well they are now, finally, 12 years after the conference was established. I just never cared for the way they were foisted on to the Big XII.

Frankly, it was always thought it was nice to have one team out of the fucking South that we could actually beat regularly.

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm talking mainly about the non-football, non-men's basketball sports.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
?You asked what Kansas fans did, and I said it was more about spoiled fucktards who take their "power conference" status as a birthright and look down on anyone whose school wasn't in the right place at the right time back when white people still had their own water fountains.

Sam Hall is a great example of this.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM

Ann Richards is the reason Baylor is in the Big XII. She is a Baylor grad and was the governor of Texas when it happened. She threatened withholding state money to the other Texas schools if Baylor was not included. Or something like that.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Actually, you're kind of ****ing retarded.

2003 was home to the worst sports-related feeling I've ever felt. We did EVERYTHING we could to get into the Big East. They picked nationally recognized powerhouse USF instead. IT'S SO EASY, HURF DE DURF.

He ****ing annihilated it and took everything that wasn't bolted down. THANKS CAL!

It's not necessarily easy to join the exact conference you want at the exact time you want, especially when 10 other teams are doing the same thing. In most years, it wouldn't be that hard. If they wanted to join the Big 10, they could do it in a second.

As far as Calipari, do you really think that Memphis would have been better off as a program if he had never come? That's preposterous. Memphis is not a destination job for an elite coach. Without Calipari, Memphis is Akron, Toledo, Ball State, etc. You had some tradition before Cal, but it's not enough to entice anyone to play there.

Now that Cal has left, teams like Missouri were worried that Memphis was going to swoop in and take our coach. Nobody would have even considered Memphis as a threat before Cal.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm talking mainly about the non-football, non-men's basketball sports.

The what?

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
The what?
Shut the fuck up.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
It's not necessarily easy to join the exact conference you want at the exact time you want, especially when 10 other teams are doing the same thing. In most years, it wouldn't be that hard. If they wanted to join the Big 10, they could do it in a second.OH MY FUCKING GOD

you did not just type those words

that is sreororjxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SYSTEM OVERLOAD
PLEASE INSERT REBOOT DISK TO CONTINUE

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
You asked what Kansas fans did, and I said it was more about spoiled ****tards who take their "power conference" status as a birthright and look down on anyone whose school wasn't in the right place at the right time back when white people still had their own water fountains.

Sam Hall is a great example of this.

Why shouldn't Kansas look down at Memphis from a college athletics standpoint?

KcMizzou
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Why shouldn't Kansas look down at Memphis from a college athletics standpoint?Good sportsmanship?

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Good sportsmanship?

I don't mean it from a sportsmanship standpoint. I'm saying that Memphis hasn't achieved anything close to what KU has.

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Why shouldn't Kansas look down at Memphis from a college athletics standpoint?
Well, if you want to be assholes, then that's ya'll's prerogative.

Mecca
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't mean it from a sportsmanship standpoint. I'm saying that Memphis hasn't achieved anything close to what KU has.

Under that thought USC should look at Kansas and go "psh"

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Well, if you want to be assholes, then that's ya'll's prerogative.

I'm not a KU fan by any stretch. I just call them as I see them.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Under that thought USC should look at Kansas and go "psh"

You don't think they do when it comes to football? Kansas's tradition in basketball is similar to USC's in football and vice versa.

USC doesn't have more overall athletic tradition than Kansas, though (football and men's basketball being the only sports worth discussing).

Kansas has vastly superior tradition to Memphis in basketball. Neither team is a historical football power, but Kansas probably has them beat there, too.

KevB
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
It's not necessarily easy to join the exact conference you want at the exact time you want, especially when 10 other teams are doing the same thing. In most years, it wouldn't be that hard. If they wanted to join the Big 10, they could do it in a second.

As far as Calipari, do you really think that Memphis would have been better off as a program if he had never come? That's preposterous. Memphis is not a destination job for an elite coach. Without Calipari, Memphis is Akron, Toledo, Ball State, etc. You had some tradition before Cal, but it's not enough to entice anyone to play there.

Now that Cal has left, teams like Missouri were worried that Memphis was going to swoop in and take our coach. Nobody would have even considered Memphis as a threat before Cal.

I really can't decide which part of this post is dumbest. Seriously. And I've read it several times to evaluate.

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 09:03 PM
I really can't decide which part of this post is dumbest. Seriously. And I've read it several times to evaluate.

All of it is.

KevB
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
You don't think they do when it comes to football? Kansas's tradition in basketball is similar to USC's in football and vice versa.

USC doesn't have more overall athletic tradition than Kansas, though (football and men's basketball being the only sports worth discussing).

Kansas has vastly superior tradition to Memphis in basketball. Neither team is a historical football power, but Kansas probably has them beat there, too.

Tell me again why "tradition" justifies being a condescending jerk? I must have missed that part of the lecture. Truly, do yourself a favor and go educate yourself on Memphis basketball. You'll be more equipped to discuss the matter at hand in a meaningful way.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't be so harsh if not for their conference winning streak.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
I want to know why UP thinks I have reading comprehension problems. Perhaps it's just a difference of opinions.

Reading comprehension smack seems to be popular on the Planet lately.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't be so harsh if not for their conference winning streak.

Memphis is in the conference they belong in. Calipari brought them to levels they can't maintain without him. Their football teams are nothing special

wild1
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Memphis is a pretty good basketball job. That won't change overnight.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Memphis is in the conference they belong in. Calipari brought them to levels they can't maintain without him. Their football teams are nothing special

Well, that's my whole point.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Tell me again why "tradition" justifies being a condescending jerk? I must have missed that part of the lecture. Truly, do yourself a favor and go educate yourself on Memphis basketball. You'll be more equipped to discuss the matter at hand in a meaningful way.

I just did myself a big favor and educated myself about Memphis basketball. There really wasn't a whole lot to study. They achieved as much or more in the last 9 years under Cal than they did in the entire time before he came to town.

Prior to Cal, they had been in one Final Four. With Cal, they made one Final Four. Before Cal, they were in 2 Elite Eights. With Cal, they were in three.

I don't know where all this talk of tradition stems from. They were in the GMWC before C-USA, and they were in the Metro prior to that. Sorry if I don't sound impressed by their tradition.

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Memphis is a pretty good basketball job. That won't change overnight.
It might, unless they bring in the right coach.

wild1
03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
i don't see what is so bad about saying CUSA is what it is and Memphis belongs there. It gives them a chance to play basketball on a national stage and get some teams in the tournament. It gives a home for schools that more or less don't have football programs. It's beneficial for schools that wouldn't be on the map otherwise. It's a good thing for them, for student athletes, and for sports fans.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM

It's almost as if you have an inflated opinion of your team. Missouri isn't one of the blue-bloods of college basketball, and Mike Anderson didn't even consider entertaining their offer. Memphis was a stepping stone for Cal. He stayed longer than anyone thought he would, and you act like he set fire to some elite program and pissed on the ashes.

He gave you nine years. What more do you want? It's not like Memphis took a chance on some unproven young coach. You hired John Calipari to resurrect your program. He did that, and now you act like he owes you something.

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I just did myself a big favor and educated myself about Memphis basketball. There really wasn't a whole lot to study. They achieved as much or more in the last 9 years under Cal than they did in the entire time before he came to town.

Prior to Cal, they had been in one Final Four. With Cal, they made one Final Four. Before Cal, they were in 2 Elite Eights. With Cal, they were in three.

I don't know where all this talk of tradition stems from. They were in the GMWC before C-USA, and they were in the Metro prior to that. Sorry if I don't sound impressed by their tradition.

Hmm Memphis went to two final fours before Cal came.

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
It gives a home for schools that more or less don't have football programs. It's beneficial for schools that wouldn't be on the map otherwise. It's a good thing for them, for student athletes, and for sports fans.

All of the CUSA schools have football and some have more traditon than some of the Big 12 schools.

tk13
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Memphis has some basketball tradition. I think it hurts, today really hurts in the short term, but it's not a bad program. They've had some good teams and teams that went deep in the tourney.

And comparing Ball State to Toledo, psht! Maybe in football, the basketball tradition is more than Akron and Toledo combined. Lot of brain damaged comments on here, but that's another thread.

ChiefsCountry
03-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Lot of brain damaged comments on here, but that's another thread.

Thats BCS school fans for you.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
I guess the situation is complicated because it involves all the sports. It's just annoying to see a team lose great talent and easily get a No. 1 seed the following year. They couldn't do that in another conference. Case and point: KU.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Memphis has some basketball tradition. I think it hurts, today really hurts in the short term, but it's not a bad program. They've had some good teams and teams that went deep in the tourney.

And comparing Ball State to Toledo, psht! Maybe in football, the basketball tradition is more than Akron and Toledo combined. Lot of brain damaged comments on here, but that's another thread.

I don't mean in terms of tradition. I mean in terms of right now. SMU has football tradition, but look where they are now.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmm Memphis went to two final fours before Cal came.

Not that counted.

KevB
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM

They've now been to three Final Fours, including the Championship game twice. They've been to the tourney in the neighborhood of 22 times. They've had a number of "name" players. They've historically played in very good basketball leagues, until Conference USA. You compared them to Akron and Toledo, which is a joke. They aren't KU or Kentucky, and nobody is pretending they are.

whoman69
03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone who suggests that Memphis join a better conference is forgetting that basketball is not the only sport out there. Memphis might be able to bring the talent up in a conference for basketball, but would bring them down mightily in almost every other sport. Basketball is unique in that many schools outside of the big conference are making money at it. You can't really say that about any other college sport, even football. Football brings in more money, but it takes a bigger investment and yearly backing to keep a program going. Keep in mind that Div I basketball has twice as many teams as Div I football.

I don't really see the SEC adding teams like the Big East do that only play basketball.

Al Bundy
03-31-2009, 09:58 PM

Not in football, they can't even beat U.C.F. in football.

KevB
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
It's almost as if you have an inflated opinion of your team. Missouri isn't one of the blue-bloods of college basketball, and Mike Anderson didn't even consider entertaining their offer. Memphis was a stepping stone for Cal. He stayed longer than anyone thought he would, and you act like he set fire to some elite program and pissed on the ashes.

He gave you nine years. What more do you want? It's not like Memphis took a chance on some unproven young coach. You hired John Calipari to resurrect your program. He did that, and now you act like he owes you something.

Actually, I have a pretty grounded idea of what Memphis. I think it's a pretty good job overall -- money, support, infrastructure, etc. It's hampered by the conference, but Cal proved that you can win there. I think if Memphis has the capability to throw $3.5M at a coach (and they do), then the likes of Mike Anderson isn't out the question. Money talks, and you're naive if you don't believe that (kudos to Anderson BTW on looking beyond $).

You think Toledo or Ball St. -- your comparisons -- will be throwing around $3M to their next b'ball coach? Do they play in an NBA arena that routinely brings in 18,000 fans? Do they have the infrastructure that Memphis has, with the practice facilities, housing, etc.? Bottom line is, beyond the conference, Memphis looks very much like a high end program. Unfortunately, they aren't part of the club, and it will likely hurt them finding the next coach.

KevB
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Anyone who suggests that Memphis join a better conference is forgetting that basketball is not the only sport out there. Memphis might be able to bring the talent up in a conference for basketball, but would bring them down mightily in almost every other sport. Basketball is unique in that many schools outside of the big conference are making money at it. You can't really say that about any other college sport, even football. Football brings in more money, but it takes a bigger investment and yearly backing to keep a program going. Keep in mind that Div I basketball has twice as many teams as Div I football.

I don't really see the SEC adding teams like the Big East do that only play basketball.

Correct. Big East was the "fit" for this reason, but it didn't play out unfortunately.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
They've now been to three Final Fours, including the Championship game twice. They've been to the tourney in the neighborhood of 22 times. They've had a number of "name" players. They've historically played in very good basketball leagues, until Conference USA. You compared them to Akron and Toledo, which is a joke. They aren't KU or Kentucky, and nobody is pretending they are.

They have been to two Final Fours. The other one was vacated.

I was comparing their athletics program (if they hadn't hired Calipari) to those schools, not just their basketball team. If they had kept on going the way they were prior to Cal, they would be a mediocre basketball school, and a mediocre football school in C-USA. They went 14 years withoug making the Elite 8 before Cal took them in 2006. Then they went to 3 in a row.

Akron and Toledo have had recent athletic success in similar scope as what Memphis was achieving immediately prior to Cal.

teedubya
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
I honestly feel for UP... dude had his favorite team knocked out of the NCAA tourney in Back to Back years by the Jayhawks and Tigers... both of the Big XII, then Calipari leaves and they don't get the GRCOAT.

I'd be pissed too.

That's a royal kick to the crotch, no matter which gender you are/think you are.

veist
04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
This thread is in really poor taste, kicking them while they are down is just really lame. Personally I was hoping they'd end up in the Big Televen so they could teach those silly wankers that indeed offense has progressed since the 1950s.

Coach
04-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Well, if this will make you fucking happy, why not invite Memphis into the Big XII and remove Baylor? Baylor is equally awful in football and basketball.

Reaper16
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Well, if this will make you fucking happy, why not invite Memphis into the Big XII and remove Baylor? Baylor is equally awful in football and basketball.
Sports? You watch much of it?

Brock
04-01-2009, 07:53 AM
I guess the situation is complicated because it involves all the sports. It's just annoying to see a team lose great talent and easily get a No. 1 seed the following year. They couldn't do that in another conference. Case and point: KU.

"Case and point"? You dumbass, I thought you were supposed to be a writer.

Buehler445
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
For all those that want to kick Baylor out.

Yesterday their basketball team won in the NIT semifinals. That's more than CU, NU, KSU, TT, and ISU.

In football, while they didn't go bowling, they brought the pain to aTm, and ISU. They almost smoked UT and TT's national title hopes (prior to them doing it for themselves). They're not slouches like they used to be when they were killing people. Not marquee programs, but not bottom feeders either.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Yea, cause it's so easy. Just join up.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Well, he is unemployed.

Sam Hall
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
This thread is in really poor taste, kicking them while they are down is just really lame. Personally I was hoping they'd end up in the Big Televen so they could teach those silly wankers that indeed offense has progressed since the 1950s.

Welcome to Chiefs Planet:D

Sam Hall
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM

This site doesn't exactly require formal writing:D

Brock
04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I guess it's a mute point then.

Ultra Peanut
04-01-2009, 11:15 AM
This site doesn't exactly require formal writing:D

There's a difference between preparing a thesis and being completely ignorant.

Ignorance seems to be your defining feature.

Sam Hall
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
There's a difference between preparing a thesis and being completely ignorant.

Ignorance seems to be your defining feature.

Lots of people think Memphis has an easy conference schedule.