PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Help me Choose

Buck
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Edit: I guess this is the HBO Thread now?

I just finished watching The Wire last night.

Great ****ing show.

Now that I am done w/ it and BSG is over, I need to start watching another show.

I already own the complete Series of both Deadwood and Six Feet Under

Not sure which one I should start first.

I am about to leave work, I'll see if anyone gives me recommendations by the time I get home.

No Spoilers please

keg in kc
04-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I never watched Six Feet Under. Deadwood was really good, but it just leaves you with this "there should've been more" feeling.

chasedude
04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I never watched Six Feet Under. Deadwood was really good, but it just leaves you with this "there should've been more" feeling.

I loved the show. HBO dropping Deadwood was the worst move EVAR!!! :banghead:

keg in kc
04-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I loved the show. HBO dropping Deadwood was the worst move EVAR!!! :banghead:Especially for John From f*cking Cincinnati.

We didn't even get the two movies to wrap it up.

SCChief
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I loved the show. HBO dropping Deadwood was the worst move EVAR!!! :banghead:

I agree. Deadwood was an excellent show! Though it is impossible for me to look at Ian McShane as anything but Swearingen anymore.

Seeing a show with that kind of content with a Shakespearean feel to it was definitely a unique experience!

Pants
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Start watching Rome. 2 seasons of pure joy (not as much as Deadwood, but worth it).

Miles
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I never really got into Six Feet Under but I might give it another shot soon. Might have given up during the last few episodes of the second season.

However deadwood is some great stuff. Rome definitly one of my favorites as well.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Deadwood is the superior product, but requires more attention. And the ending leaves you wanting more.
Six Feet Under is more breezy, but it does have a great payoff when you've completed the series.

So it depends on how deep you want to go. If you want to pay a 'Lost' level of attention, and be rewarded for it, go Deadwood. If you want some good popcorn munchin' fare, pop in some 6FU.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
i heart six feet under, the gay scenes disturb me, actually alot about that show disturbs me

Buck
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I started watching Deadwood last night.

First 3 episodes, solid.

I really like Olyphant's character.

Great Expectations
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Deadwood > Rome > 6 feet under

I'm ready for the next great HBO series. Flight of the Concords is funny, but not great. There is a cop show from the producers of NYPD Blue getting ready to start that looks good.

I guess Entourage is great, but I'm ready for an hour long drama to be really good. I think Big Love is ok, but it is not must see like the aforementioned shows. Now that it doesn't follow the Soprano's I don't really watch.

Pants
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Deadwood > Rome > 6 feet under

I'm ready for the next great HBO series. Flight of the Concords is funny, but not great. There is a cop show from the producers of NYPD Blue getting ready to start that looks good.

I guess Entourage is great, but I'm ready for an hour long drama to be really good. I think Big Love is ok, but it is not must see like the aforementioned shows. Now that it doesn't follow the Soprano's I don't really watch.

True Blood surprised me at how good at was. The idea seems stupid as hell, but they pulled it off really well, IMO.

As far as I am concerned, there never was a show greater than Deadwood. Not Sopranos, not anything else.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I started watching Deadwood last night.

First 3 episodes, solid.

I really like Olyphant's character.

Keep us updated on where you're at, it'd be nice to relive the experience.

Lumpy
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I was a huge fan of "6 Feet Under". The final episode brought tears to my eyes. I was also a big fan of "The Sopranos". Tried watching "The Wire" and "Deadwood", but just couldn't get into them. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is fuggin hysterical!

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I was a huge fan of "6 Feet Under". The final episode brought tears to my eyes. I was also a big fan of "The Sopranos". Tried watching "The Wire" and "Deadwood", but just couldn't get into them. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is fuggin hysterical!

Narm!!!

Buck
04-03-2009, 10:37 AM
As far as I am concerned, there never was a show greater than Deadwood. Not Sopranos, not anything else.

Have you watched "The Wire"?

Pants
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Have you watched "The Wire"?

No. Should I?

Hootie
04-03-2009, 10:49 AM
If you like Dexter and haven't seen Six Feet Under...I'd keep it that way.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
No. Should I?

Deadwood is Shakespearian in it's dialog and plotting, a larger than life take on life.
The Wire is almost like a documentatary, life portrayed life-sized.
I can't say that there are indicators that liking one will predict liking the other, aside from general quality. I think Deadwood is better [perhaps the best ever] but The Wire is a worthy luminary in the upper echolon of all TV shows ever.
What it has going for it, is that it explores the situation from a vast number of angles, and does so over the course of a season, rather than an episode. For instance, the first season is about how the drug trade works and how the police try [or don't] to thwart it. And in examining it, you see how the beat cops, the investigators, the brass, city hall, the state house, the courts, and likewise, the corner slingers, the crew captains, the connect lords and the rival factions, all intricately cross paths and create stories and situations that can be hilarious, scary, dispiriting, and tragic in turn.

Lumpy
04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Narm!!!

"Narm" = Not a real man? If so, then ur right... I'm a chick.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
"Narm" = Not a real man? If so, then ur right... I'm a chick.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiOKNggPh4Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiOKNggPh4Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Lumpy
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiOKNggPh4Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiOKNggPh4Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Ohhhhhhhhhh!! ROFL I just figured I took a hit for not sporting a penis.

Buck
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Deadwood is Shakespearian in it's dialog and plotting, a larger than life take on life.
I can't say that there are indicators that liking one will predict liking the other, aside from general quality. I think Deadwood is better [perhaps the best ever] but The Wire is a worthy luminary in the upper echolon of all TV shows ever.
What it has going for it, is that it explores the situation from a vast number of angles, and does so over the course of a season, rather than an episode. For instance, the first season is about how the drug trade works and how the police try [or don't] to thwart it. And in examining it, you see how the beat cops, the investigators, the brass, city hall, the state house, the courts, and likewise, the corner slingers, the crew captains, the connect lords and the rival factions, all intricately cross paths and create stories and situations that can be hilarious, scary, dispiriting, and tragic in turn.

They are different show for sure, I was just wondering since he was comparing Deadwood to the Sopranos if he had seen the Wire.

P.S., funny thing.

If you do a google search for "Best TV Show Ever" without the quotes like 7 out of the top 10 results are about the show The Wire.

Pants
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM

So it's like Traffic the series? Sounds intriguing as hell, I'll be checking it out.

Buck
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
So it's like Traffic the series? Sounds intriguing as hell, I'll be checking it out.

Dude, its a Must, in my book at least.

I've never seen Traffic, but I just think its the coolest cop drama, and they don't have to hold anything back because its on HBO.

I never liked NYPD Blue or Law and Order, but I'd imagine its like those shows on Steroids

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Broad in scope in some ways, narrower in others. It's all about Baltimore, the 'connect' [ie, source for the dealers] from NY is mentioned, but not really dealt with directly. It's not like they're taking the story around the world to every little hotspot where an aspect of the trade occurs.

This is more about getting in close to the local dynamic, a lot of specificity, a lot of depth. You'll see what kind of dickbag a little corner slinger has for a dad, or the subtle power plays that determine how and where police resources are concentrated or not. People on all sides of this 'game' will do things that horrify you and also make you like and even admire them.

This wil give a taste of what the show is capable of

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1HUlTKvDUI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1HUlTKvDUI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pants
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Broad in scope in some ways, narrower in others. It's all about Baltimore, the 'connect' [ie, source for the dealers] from NY is mentioned, but not really dealt with directly. It's not like they're taking the story around the world to every little hotspot where an aspect of the trade occurs.

This is more about getting in close to the local dynamic, a lot of specificity, a lot of depth. You'll see what kind of dickbag a little corner slinger has for a dad, or the subtle power plays that determine how and where police resources are concentrated or not. People on all sides of this 'game' will do things that horrify you and also make you like and even admire them.

This wil give a taste of what the show is capable of

<object width="425" height="344">

</object>

Definitely going to watch this show. Thanks for your recommendations, guys.

Great Expectations
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=Metrolike;5637346]True Blood surprised me at how good at was. The idea seems stupid as hell, but they pulled it off really well, IMO.

[QUOTE]
I liked True Blood, but it wasn't anywhere near the level of a Rome, Deadwood, or Sopranos. I'll probably watch the next season, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it like I did the aforementioned shows.

Pants
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I liked True Blood, but it wasn't anywhere near the level of a Rome, Deadwood, or Sopranos. I'll probably watch the next season, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it like I did the aforementioned shows.

Oh, no doubt about that. Different sport altogether, still a good show though.

DeepPurple
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
My wife and me never watch episodic TV, I think Moonlighting and Murphy Brown were the last series I ever kept up with. We got HBO when we got an HD TV back in 2005 and Six Foot Under was available on HBO on-demand.

Between on-demand and then HBO re-ran the series in 2006, then Bravo ran the series in 2007 and for the past year Universal HD channel has been running the series, currently all day Tuesday. I think I've seen everyone of the 63 episodes of Six Feet Under at least five times.

I guess it goes without saying, it's my wife and mine favorite show. The show's creator is Alan Ball who wrote the film American Beauty. Even though they are not the same storyline, they are similar in style and story telling. So if you liked that movie, there's a good chance you'll like Six Feet Under, however if your a redneck go ahead and try and take it back.

BTW, even though The Wire was made here where I live, I never watched it because it reminded of the parts of the city I try to avoid. However, Homicide Life on the Streets was also made here and I loved that show, I think it's because they didn't depict drugs but was more of a typical cop show.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
P.S., funny thing.

If you do a google search for "Best TV Show Ever" without the quotes like 7 out of the top 10 results are about the show The Wire.
There's a whole 'fapfapfapfapfap' masturbating hipster meme on The AVClub message boards because every time they review a good episode of a good show, there's an inevitable 'The Wire did it better' or 'This is nearly as good as The Wire, . . . FUCK YOU nothing's as good as The Wire' thread.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
My wife and me never watch episodic TV, I think Moonlighting and Murphy Brown were the last series I ever kept up with. We got HBO when we got an HD TV back in 2005 and Six Foot Under was available on HBO on-demand.

Between on-demand and then HBO re-ran the series in 2006, then Bravo ran the series in 2007 and for the past year Universal HD channel has been running the series, currently all day Tuesday. I think I've seen everyone of the 63 episodes of Six Feet Under at least five times.

I guess it goes without saying, it's my wife and mine favorite show. The show's creator is Alan Ball who wrote the film American Beauty. Even though they are not the same storyline, they are similar in style and story telling. So if you liked that movie, there's a good chance you'll like Six Feet Under, however if your a redneck go ahead and try and take it back.

BTW, even though The Wire was made here where I live, I never watched it because it reminded of the parts of the city I try to avoid. However, Homicide Life on the Streets was also made here and I loved that show, I think it's because they didn't depict drugs but was more of a typical cop show.

1. Homicide was made by the same creator as The Wire.
2. Alan Ball of SFU also helms True Blood.

Buck
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
There's a whole 'fapfapfapfapfap' masturbating hipster meme on The AVClub message boards because every time they review a good episode of a good show, there's an inevitable 'The Wire did it better' or 'This is nearly as good as The Wire, . . . **** YOU nothing's as good as The Wire' thread.

LOL. I'm going to use that now.

Thanks.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
LOL. I'm going to use that now.

Thanks.

At the risk of repeating myself twice today, The AVClub comments are some of the funniest reading out there on the intertubes. It's like a communal 'Best Week Ever' in terms of snarky pop culture references and running jokes.

Including about the best username ever 'It takes a Nathan of Fillions . .'

Buck
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself twice today, The AVClub comments are some of the funniest reading out there on the intertubes. It's like a communal 'Best Week Ever' in terms of snarky pop culture references and running jokes.

Do you have a link to said jokes?

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Do you have a link to said jokes?

You just have to dive in, to try and track down one running joke line would be like tracking down a particular fark snarkfest. They post new content every day and the comments stay with each new piece of content.

Buck
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I see.

Its a very strange website just looking at it.

Its going to take me a while to get used to.

Baby Lee
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I see.

Its a very strange website just looking at it.

Its going to take me a while to get used to.

The best conversations usually show up in the TV section and anything 'The Hater' Amelie Gillette writes.

Miles
04-04-2009, 01:46 AM
The best conversations usually show up in the TV section and anything 'The Hater' Amelie Gillette writes.

I catch some of her stuff in the print version but didn't realize how much of it was just on the website.

Baby Lee
05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Breaking, Amelie is no longer 'The Hater.' She's now a writer on 'The Office.'

Buck
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Breaking, Amelie is no longer 'The Hater.' She's now a writer on 'The Office.'

Wow. WTF?

In other news I finally picked up Dollhouse and am through the first 8 eps. I took a while for me to go onto ep 4 because I hated ep 3 so much (like 7 months), but I'm glad I did. This show is pretty good.

Baby Lee
05-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow. WTF?

In other news I finally picked up Dollhouse and am through the first 8 eps. I took a while for me to go onto ep 4 because I hated ep 3 so much (like 7 months), but I'm glad I did. This show is pretty good.

Wondered what was up when she announced at the end of her last Hatecast podcast that it would be the last for a while.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/this-has-been-the-hater,40772/

In all seriousness, though: Amelie is too shy to tell you, but she's been hired to write for The Office. No, we're not kidding. We offer her hearty congratulations and smashing success.

And on Dollhouse, it really changes in tone in the second season, and that's a good thing overall. You can pre-glimpse it by tracking down the alternate 'original' pilot.