PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV GM says, "Put on your Rally Caps, America"

TinyEvel
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Did you see this TV commercial tonight?

Typical GM type ad lok with lots of diverse people wearing backward/inside-out caps.

THe Vo starts with something like "This country needs a comeback, lets turn this thing around...."

And shows moms, dads, construction workers, kids, shop owners, ASian cyclists, real estate agents, et etc. doing daily stuff with GM cars "naturally" placed in the scene.

Did you see it?

Thoughts?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtntMQ30QXo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtntMQ30QXo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

irishjayhawk
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Didn't see it but sounds like a smart ad.

Deberg_1990
04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I think GM needs to build a better automobile.

Oh wait, u meant the ad didnt you? It was ok.

LaChapelle
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
We have to buy shitty cars to get our money back?

TinyEvel
04-02-2009, 09:31 PM

ROFL.

I embedded it in the header.

OnTheWarpath15
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Maybe GM should quit paying the guy that sits in a paint booth $37/hr instead of asking me to bail their ass out by buying an inferior product.

And what kind of monster insurance policy did they have to buy to have the ability to make payments for people that lose their jobs?

TinyEvel
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
So, it's OUR fault?

:shake:

Deberg_1990
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Clearly if you dont buy GM, you must hate America.

banyon
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Is this what they are using our tax money to do?

TinyEvel
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
It should have people putting on hats that look like a big ass.

"Put on your asshats America. Because it took a bunch of asshats to get us into this mess, and it will take a lot of asshats to get us out"

beavis
"This ad brought to you by your children's tax dollars."

OnTheWarpath15
It should have people putting on hats that look like a big ass.

"Put on your asshats America. Because it took a bunch of asshats to get us into this mess, and it will take a lot of asshats to get us out"

LMAO

irishjayhawk

Yes.

04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Don't know why they don't just put a banner ad on the TV like the local used car salesman do.

Simply Red
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Saturn is serving up a comparable offer. But no, the commercial doesn't make me want to buy a GM.

04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
My wife is bugging me to look at some Honda and Toyota cars to replace our Prizm with potentially. After seeing the prices on even the 2002 Accords I was admittedly shocked. Some are going for as much as what I paid for our 2005 Odyssey with 52k miles on it.

I'm having a hard time with passenger cars costing as much or more than minivans.

wild1
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
"you didn't buy our crapmobiles, but we got your money anyway. Ha ha, ha ha ha. Ha ha."

BigMeatballDave
04-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Saturn is serving up a comparable offer. But no, the commercial doesn't make me want to buy a GM.Saturn is GM.

04-03-2009, 12:57 AM
I want to know how they protect the value of the vehicle over time. It's worth what its worth.

wazu
04-03-2009, 01:00 AM
What a crappy, stupid ad by a zombie company that is already being propped up by my tax dollars. GM needs to put their bankruptcy caps on.

Fairplay
04-03-2009, 01:05 AM
The ad wasn't bad. The cap idea was not good, it had you focusing on how people were wearing them in the ad.

ChiefsCountry
04-03-2009, 01:31 AM
GM builds a good vehicle its how they do it is the problem. I wish Toyota would buy GM out and put their manufacutring process in place. Toyota's manfucaturing and GM's engineering would make a hell of a company.

kysirsoze
04-03-2009, 02:10 AM
But guys!!! They went to all the trouble of boiling down our country's and the world's economic crisis into sports terms! It all makes sense now!!

wild1
04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
What a crappy, stupid ad by a zombie company that is already being propped up by my tax dollars. GM needs to put their bankruptcy caps on.

they will end up there.

so much for that bazillion dollar investment to avoid it

mikey23545
04-03-2009, 06:28 AM

So since they received bailout money, they should never be allowed to air tv commercials again?

RJ
04-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Official Chiefs Planet Motto should be........"The Planet: We hate everything!".

RJ
04-03-2009, 06:34 AM

You mean trying to sell cars?

I sure hope so.

MahiMike
04-03-2009, 06:39 AM
I think we should get our $20B back we loaned them before they're completely bankrupt.

Otter
04-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I think it's like OJ Simpson doing a commercial to help stop domestic violence.

GM should shut the fuck up and get their shit straight before they make so much as a peep. Their still ass backwards and living off of my tax money.

Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down until you get your shit turned around.

Saulbadguy
04-03-2009, 06:47 AM
You mean trying to sell cars?

I sure hope so.

GM Employee?

alanm
04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
If the union makes concessions they may have a chance. Otherwise their taking on water and listing to port.

blaise
04-03-2009, 07:00 AM
There's no song and dance that's going to get me to buy a Cobalt over a Corolla.
They sold the Prizm once, which was a Corolla basically, why can't they do it again?

Same old BS from GM. Howie Long telling you non-Chevy truck drivers are dumbass pussies; acting like I should spend $22,000 on a car that depreciates to nothing in four years just because they wave an American flag, when I can pay a little extra for a Toyota and still have it be worth something, and running, when the loan is paid off.
I'll pass.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
sounds like a good time to introduce the 10' camaro

Radar Chief
04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I just hope GM going bankrupt doesn’t mean the end of the “crate” engine program of the LSX blocks.

Fat Elvis
04-03-2009, 07:59 AM
The ad wasn't bad. The cap idea was not good, it had you focusing on how people were wearing them in the ad.

That is the whole point. It is a lot easier to pick someone's pocket if they are distracted by crazy hats.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
this is the planet, we hate shit that sucks, we hate quarterbacks, we love mozilla, snopes, and firefox, we hate ipods, we love hot supermodels and hate fat chicks, we love our ugly fat chick spouces. We love our bald head and goatee, we love good beer, but drink miller light, the royals will never win anything ever, and your and idiot
GOODNIGHT

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't know if you guys are white trash enough to have one of these, but I used to have a hat that had a fake turd on it and it said "shit head" on it.

blaise
04-03-2009, 08:06 AM
this is the planet, we hate shit that sucks, we hate quarterbacks, we love mozilla, snopes, and firefox, we hate ipods, we love hot supermodels and hate fat chicks, we love our ugly fat chick spouces. We love our bald head and goatee, we love good beer, but drink miller light, the royals will never win anything ever, and your and idiot
GOODNIGHT

Most guys here must hate their girlfriends.

tomahawk kid
04-03-2009, 08:11 AM
My wife and I bought a Malibu back in 2005.

Thing ran like a top until last year (about 70k miles).

There was a defective drive shaft component that went out, causing our power steering indicator to ding constantly.

Even though this was a known issue and a pseudo recall (covered the defective "box" for cars under 60k free of charge) by GM, they refused to fix the defective component unless I paid out of pocket because I was over the limit by 10k miles.

I brought up the fact that I've had friends who've driven Honda's and gotten transmissions replaced free at 100k (w/o warrenty coverage OR a recall) - and the lady on the GM "Customer Service" line acted like I was speaking French.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Most guys here must hate their girlfriends.

they hate the way their girlfriend looks, but they like the way the vagina feels and know they can't get better. So they will take their 2 win seasons and birthday lay's when the come and prop themselves up with OH THAT CHICK ISN'T HOT AT ALL. When their girlfriends away getting her back waxed

RJ
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
GM Employee?

No, taxpayer who wants them to pay back their loan someday.

RJ
04-03-2009, 08:22 AM
GOODNIGHT

That pretty much covers it, except you forgot "other places".

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
gm......ps3 cost with 360 like reliability

ModSocks
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
All the GM hate is funny. People act like they are suppose to stop advertising or something.

Gm's cars aren't poorly built anymore, so all of you who THINK you know, just shut it, cuz you're just making assumptions to sound like you know something. It's hilarious.

GM has always had great drive trains, especially the GM V8's.

The problem with GM is that those in charge are idiots. Like someone previously posted, they are doing it all wrong. It has nothing to do with build quality anymore. They're mismanaged.

hawkchief
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
All the GM hate is funny. People act like they are suppose to stop advertising or something.

Gm's cars aren't poorly built anymore, so all of you who THINK you know, just shut it, cuz you're just making assumptions to sound like you know something. It's hilarious.

GM has always had great drive trains, especially the GM V8's.

The problem with GM is that those in charge are idiots. Like someone previously posted, they are doing it all wrong. It has nothing to do with build quality anymore. They're mismanaged.

Absolute bullshit. GM still puts out a crappy product that has half the life-span of a Japanese car/SUV. I'll agree with you that they are mismanaged as well. GM needs to fail and start over without the ridiculous union shackles they now are forced to work with.

ModSocks
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Absolute bullshit. GM still puts out a crappy product that has half the life-span of a Japanese car/SUV. I'll agree with you that they are mismanaged as well. GM needs to fail and start over without the ridiculous union shackles they now are forced to work with.

How do you figure? You are assuming shit. I'm talking about GM vehicles over the past 5 years, which haven't even been out long enough for you to make that assumption. I'll agree that maybe some of the interiors aren't quite as refined as the Jap counterparts, but the drive trains and actual mechanical parts of the cars are every bit as good. Stereotyping cars, tisk tisk.

blaise
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
How do you figure? You are assuming shit. I'm talking about GM vehicles over the past 5 years, which haven't even been out long enough for you to make that assumption. I'll agree that maybe some of the interiors aren't quite as refined as the Jap counterparts, but the drive trains and actual mechanical parts of the cars are every bit as good. Stereotyping cars, tisk tisk.

Tisk, tisk nothing. That may be true, but if GM hadn't spent the decade before that building piles of garbage like Cavaliers and Sunfires they wouldn't have to fight an uphill battle to win back people's confidence.

Rooster
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Howie Long Sucks... My two cents. :evil:

Dayze
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
There are so many reasons this commercial is wrong, too numerous to count.

As far as product is concered; I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx; and I really like driving the car. We can haul all our camping gear, haul our dogs etc. It gets great MPG etc. No issues yet (66k); just replaced all four break pads last weekend.

that being said, after driving my wifes VW Beetle (as well as test driving Jettas/Passats etc)...my next vehicle will be VW/Toyo/Honda. I plan on driving the Malibu until it dies; hopefully later than sooner.

I was blown away by the fit, finish, quality, of the VW. We even looked at Cobalt's...NIGHT AND DAY difference for essentially the same $. VW hands-down.

ModSocks
04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Tisk, tisk nothing. That may be true, but if GM hadn't spent the decade before that building piles of garbage like Cavaliers and Sunfires they wouldn't have to fight an uphill battle to win back people's confidence.

That i can agree with you on. I understand WHY people stereotype. They use to make shit cars, without a doubt. They've made shit vehicles for the past 15-20 years. But, it's not that way anymore, and it just pisses me off when people act like it is. People come on here blasting new GM vehicles like they know what they're talking about....

burt
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
09 Malibu= J.D. Powers Initial Quality Award OVER Accord, Maxima and Camry

blaise
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
09 Malibu= J.D. Powers Initial Quality Award OVER Accord, Maxima and Camry

That's the key wording there. You just have to hope it stays that way when it reaches 50,000 miles.

burt
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
That's the key wording there. You just have to hope it stays that way when it reaches 50,000 miles.

You are right, but historically, the Camry won that award...then they lasted forever. We have to produce a solid line for many years, then have them last for many years before the American public believes. The Cobnalts are practically bullit proof, but will have to be on the road for another 3 to 5 years befor it is believed!

BY1401
04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I've enjoyed the GM vehicles I've had. :shrug:

ModSocks
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I've enjoyed the GM vehicles I've had. :shrug:

So have I. I've never had any abnormal issues with mine. But, the interior fit and finish has always been lacking compared to Hondas of the same age. The newer GM models rival the imports Fit & finish IMO.

burt
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
The newer GM models rival the imports Fit & finish IMO.

Absolutely, shame they didn't do that years ago....

jAZ
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Good idea, but flat on it's delivery.

banyon
04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
So since they received bailout money, they should never be allowed to air tv commercials again?

I was referring to using our tax dollars apparently to subsidize their customers to buy their cars. Why don't they try building cars that people want instead?

RJ
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I was referring to using our tax dollars apparently to subsidize their customers to buy their cars. Why don't they try building cars that people want instead?

I believe they're starting to do that. In the meantime, if they don't sell some cars now it's not going to matter.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Why don't they try building cars that people want instead?
You mean ones that have Toyota and Honda nameplates on them?

joesomebody
04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I've been impressed with Ford over the last 3 to 4 years. Their cars have improved SO much. I've never been a GM guy though, so don't know if they've improved as well. I have driven mostly Dodge/Jeep products, but don't feel they have a chance in hell at surviving. I do think that the Jeep name and product line will be bought by someone, and will survive.