PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Good Riddance, Cutler

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/853149.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">I still can’t believe the good fortune the Chiefs have stumbled backwards into now that the Broncos have officially divorced themselves from their magnificent young quarterback, Jay Cutler. It’s almost too good to be true, especially when you consider just how Cutler came to be a Chicago Bear. The precise turn of events is stunning.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
We’ll get to that in a minute. But first, Cutler, and his complete domination of the Chiefs over the last two seasons.

Four games might not seem like much, but there’s no question – Jay Cutler (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249814) was a thorn in the side of KC’s defense for two seasons as Denver’s starting quarterback. It was fairly obvious he was going to get comfortable and twist his way deeper as his career continued. All the signs were there.

First, there are Cutler’s gaudy numbers against the Chiefs. In four starts, he completed 98 of 145 passes for 1,083 yards, eight touchdowns and four interceptions. That’s good for a quarterback rating of 96.4, and if you believe certain media outlets, Cutler may have done all of that with a hangover.

Regardless of his sobriety level, not only were Cutler’s stats impressive, the Broncos’ offense as a whole generally functioned like a well-oiled machine. Cutler’s ability to keep the Chiefs’ safeties away from the line of scrimmage opened up the running game, and Broncos running backs easily piled up yardage. Selvin Young (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249844) had two huge games against Kansas City in 2007.

Then of course there is the fact that the Broncos pretty much whipped the Chiefs while Cutler was starting. They blew them out twice in 2007, including a 41-7 thrashing at Mile High. Last season Kansas City avoided the sweep, but a 24-17 loss in Denver was probably not as close as the score indicated (the Broncos outgained the Chiefs by 165 yards).

Other than a couple of bad interceptions at Arrowhead last year, the Chiefs really had no answer for Jay Cutler. With Philip Rivers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4189320) also tearing up AFC West secondaries, it was pretty obvious – Kansas City would either find a quarterback who could compete, or keep losing division games to teams with superior quarterbacks.

You might disagree, and laugh at Cutler’s penchant for stupid interceptions and immaturity. But I can’t really recall another young AFC West quarterback from recent memory who has owned the Chiefs as completely as Cutler did. Even Gunther Cunningham managed to get inside Rivers’ head a few times. I was completely convinced Cutler was going to make Chiefs fans weep and gnash their barbecue-stained teeth for many years to come.

Even worse, I actually liked Cutler. I admired his style of play. I had quarterback envy, and that's no fun, especially after Chiefs fans endured John Elway for 15 years.

But now, thanks to an incredible turn of events that won’t soon be forgotten, Cutler has been practically exiled from Denver. Even better, he’s been dumped out of the AFC as a whole. He’s in Chicago, which is relatively close to Kansas City, but about as far away as you can get in NFL terms. The Chiefs won’t play the Bears in the regular season for at least two more years, if at all.

How did it happen? How did the NFL Gods smile upon Kansas City by unceremoniously removing one of the best young quarterbacks in the entire NFL from the AFC West? You have to go all the way back to draft day 2006 for the first domino to fall.

That was the day the Chiefs drafted safety Bernard Pollard (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698871). While he had nothing to do with Cutler’s recent trade, in a roundabout way he had a huge impact on the events that surrounded it.

When Pollard rammed into the side of Tom Brady (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3694702)’s knee last September, he opened up the door for Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794) to shine. Cassel’s mentor and offensive coordinator in New England, of course, was new Broncos’ coach Josh McDaniels (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4137356), and it’s been widely reported that McDaniels attempted to trade for his former quarterback earlier this offseason. That’s what set Cutler off months ago.

If Brady isn’t injured, Cassel never shines, perhaps McDaniels isn’t hired in Denver, and Cutler is still wearing orange and looking forward to torching Pollard twice a year. In the saga of Hurricane Cutler, Bernard Pollard is the butterfly that flapped his wings in New England.

The next domino falls on draft day 2007, when Kansas City picked Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698848). Twenty months later, Bowe would find himself lining up on KC’s “hands” team, waiting to recover an onside kick that would have sealed a Chiefs victory over the Chargers.

You know the story of course – Bowe fumbled the ball, the Chargers recovered and went on to win the game, Carl Peterson announced his resignation, and we all threw a big party. But had the Chargers lost that day, the Broncos would have won the AFC West, Mike Shanahan likely would not have been fired, and there’s no way Cutler would have been traded.

The third domino, of course, is Scott Pioli (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3933332). Likely, he wanted Cassel as KC’s new quarterback from the beginning. We had little idea of Pioli’s desire for Cassel, but it’s entirely possible McDaniels did, having worked with Pioli in New England for eight years. In his haste to grab Cassel before Pioli could, McDaniels obviously mishandled the quarterback he did have. And now he’s stuck with Chris Simms (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249839) and Kyle Orton (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4208328).

You might point out that the Broncos are also "stuck" with a boatload of draft picks. Denver has four first-round picks to play with over the next two drafts. But what are the chances of Denver finding two Jay Cutlers in five years? Heck, the Chiefs have been waiting around almost 40 years for their next young franchise quarterback.

I could go on and on, and talk about how Gunther Cunningham had to decide to blitz Pollard on that particular play in New England, how Herm Edwards had to foolishly choose Bowe for the hands team, and how Clark Hunt had to perfectly exercise his own exquisite brand of headhunting in order to secure Pioli.

So many crucial dominoes fell in this story it’s ridiculous. All we can do is count our blessings and thank everyone involved that Jay Cutler is out of Denver and the Chiefs won’t have to deal with him twice a year ever again. Good riddance.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

KC Dan
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
My favorite part of this article:

"Carl Peterson announced his resignation, and we all threw a big party."

:clap:

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Chiefs React to Cutler Trade (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/chiefs-react-to-cutler-trade.html)

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/chiefs-react-to-cutler-trade.html#more-7884

“Really?”

“Is that April Fool’s a day late?”

“No way!”

As they took part in an event to benefit autism in a parking lot west of Arrowhead Stadium, members of the Chiefs secondary reacted to the news that the Denver Broncos traded quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

It’s safe to say there were no tears in the eyes of guys like safety Jon McGraw and cornerbacks Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr as they reacted to the deal.

“We don’t mind at all that he’s out of the division, heck out of the conference,” said Carr.

Added McGraw: “You always like to compete against the best and he was on his way to being one of the league’s better quarterbacks. I’m not going to say I’d wished he stayed, but they’ll find somebody else who can throw it too.”

Last year, the Broncos were 1-1 against the 2-14 Chiefs. In the fourth game of the season, Cutler threw for 361 yards and one touchdown, but two interceptions as the Broncos lost 33-19. The teams met again in Denver for 13th game of the season, with the Broncos winning 24-17. Cutler threw for 286 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in the victory. That was the last game Denver won last season.

In four starts against the Chiefs in 2007-08, Cutler went 3-1 in the standings, completing 98 of 145 passes for 1,083 yards, eight touchdown passeds, four interceptions and two sacks. He ran 18 times for 65 yards.

In return for sending Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round pick to the Bears, the Broncos received a 2009 first-round pick, a 2010 first-round pick, a 2009 third-round choice and quarterback Kyle Orton.

“That’s a lot for any player, but Jay Cutler has already proven himself in this league and that’s hard to find sometimes at quarterback,” said Flowers.

“He has a strong arm and he led his team,” said Carr. “There’s a lot of quarterbacks who can’t make the kind of throws that he can make.”

The Chiefs defensive backs have joined together as a group to “adopt” children with autism with a program they are calling “We’ve Got Your BACK.” They hope to bring a sense of belonging to autistic children, as well as their families. Groups involved in the “We’ve Got Your BACK” partnership include: Autism Speaks, Autism Society of the Heartland, Autism Alliance of Greater Kansas City and the YMCA of Greater Kansas City - Challenger Program.

Thursday, a number of defensive backs took part in an event with children and their families in Parking Lot N of the sports complex.

orange
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
For all his obvious physical gifts, self-reliance and refusal to surrender, Cutler is cursed by a thin skin and a thick head.

Despite studying at the Southeastern Conference's brainiac university and passing the Wonderlic test with flying colors, Cutler was not smart enough to act like a championship quarterback.

Let's go to the videotape for proof.

During a 33-19 loss to Kansas City in September, Cutler came unglued in the third quarter, all because a journeyman receiver named Cliff Russell made a mistake on a pass route, resulting in an incompletion.

During a timeout the anger was written in red on Cutler's face. He was spitting mad.

Hey, stuff happens. An NFL quarterback is paid big bucks to manage a crisis, not melt down.

But, when the Broncos returned to the field, Cutler threw two interceptions in the team's next four offensive snaps, committing the turnovers within a span of 60 seconds that saw Denver unravel in a revealing defeat to a truly awful AFC West opponent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12051237?source=bb

Guess your "reporter" missed that game.

The Bad Guy
04-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Just we needed. More Cutler articles.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
For all his obvious physical gifts, self-reliance and refusal to surrender, Cutler is cursed by a thin skin and a thick head.

Despite studying at the Southeastern Conference's brainiac university and passing the Wonderlic test with flying colors, Cutler was not smart enough to act like a championship quarterback.

During a 33-19 loss to Kansas City in September, Cutler came unglued in the third quarter, all because a journeyman receiver named Cliff Russell made a mistake on a pass route, resulting in an incompletion.

During a timeout the anger was written in red on Cutler's face. He was spitting mad.

Hey, stuff happens. An NFL quarterback is paid big bucks to manage a crisis, not melt down.

But, when the Broncos returned to the field, Cutler threw two interceptions in the team's next four offensive snaps, committing the turnovers within a span of 60 seconds that saw Denver unravel in a revealing defeat to a truly awful AFC West opponent.

Jesus. God forbid a quarterback in his second year of starting make a few mistakes.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
To be fair, lauding Cutler because he tore up our shitty defense is like praising Mike Tyson for beating up Robin Givens. We made EVERYBODY look like a probowler for the past two years.

Spott
04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Just we needed. More Cutler articles.

Just as much as we needed more horseshit from WPI.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
To be fair, lauding Cutler because he tore up our shitty defense is like praising Mike Tyson for beating up Robin Givens. We made EVERYBODY look like a probowler for the past two years.

This isn't really accurate whatsoever. Certainly no one compiled a stretch of 4 games like that against the Chiefs. Not Rivers.

CupidStunt
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM

You've really turned on him that fast?

Pretty embarrassing, dude.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
This isn't really accurate whatsoever. Certainly no one compiled a stretch of 4 games like that against the Chiefs. Not Rivers.

So? During this two year stretch, we only played three teams, our division rivals, four times. Last time I checked, none of our division rivals has exactly lit the league on fire for the past two years.

So he's got better numbers against our crappy defense than Rivers or that idiot from Oakland. BFD :whackit:

Brock
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
The Chiefs often made Jake Plummer look good. So what?

orange
04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
You've really turned on him that fast?

Pretty embarrassing, dude.

He was 16-21 (had a game given back to him by Hochuli on one of the all-time bone-headed plays in NFL history) - still more potential than reality. And his antics this year were pure bs, designed to get himself out. He abandoned DENVER FANS - not the other way around.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
So he's got better numbers against our crappy defense than Rivers or that idiot from Oakland. BFD :whackit:

Rivers is one of the best young quarterbacks in the league.

We dodged a bullet here. Cutler was going to own us for YEARS.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Rivers is one of the best young quarterbacks in the league.

We dodged a bullet here. Cutler was going to own us for YEARS.

Well, either that or drink himself into a diabetic coma.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, either that or drink himself into a diabetic coma.

Cutler has access to the best medical care in the world. He'll be fine.

So will the Bears.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Cutler has access to the best medical care in the world. He'll be fine.

So will the Bears.

We'll see. You don't know how he'll do any more than I do.

And the Bears have issues all over the field. I somehow doubt that Cutler is the answer to their woeful defense.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
We'll see. You don't know how he'll do any more than I do.

And the Bears have issues all over the field. I somehow doubt that Cutler is the answer to their woeful defense.

Their defense was average last year. That's going to look pretty good to Cutler after the last two seasons in Denver.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Their defense was average last year. That's going to look pretty good to Cutler after the last two seasons in Denver.

Their defense choked all over itself last year. I was there the day they pissed away a 10 point lead in the waning minutes and then lost in OT to Tampa, making Brian fucking Griese look like Dan Marino in the process. They had four or five games like that. Their D is old and has gone steadily downhill since Lovie shitcanned Rivera as DC.

Was it better than Denver's, or ours? Sure, but we're just talking varying degrees of suck.

booger
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
even during the down times Claythan clings on to his broncurious feelings

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah, they won't be as much fun to watch now. I'll enjoy watching them get their asses pounded next year I suppose. But I really did like me some Jay Cutler. My kind of QB.

booger
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
clay is gay for jay

yaaaay

booger
04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, they won't be as much fun to watch now. I'll enjoy watching them get their asses pounded next year I suppose. But I really did like me some Jay Cutler. My kind of QB.

I just don't see how we dodged a bullet though like you say in this thread.

Some of the luck has shifted you could say, with them as an organization totally imploding this offseason. And it is nice to see the media pounding them instead of humping their leg.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
We made EVERYBODY look like a probowler for the past two years.

Past couple? More like the past decade.

Donger
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
clay is gay for jay

yaaaay

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Good Fucking God, Claythan; you know I try to be even handed in my criticisms of your work, but how many more ball-washings is Jay Cutler going to get before the cosmos implodes and we all die?!

For the 800th fucking time:

What. WHAT?! What is it about this guy that turns perfectly reasonable football fans in to Beatles groupies at the fucking Ed Sullivan Show?!
And I'm not talking about his douchey personality, I'm talking about his game.

Frazod
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Past couple? More like the past decade.

Yeah, but only for the past couple has SUPER CUTLER been a beneficiary of it.

vailpass
04-03-2009, 05:37 PM

ROFL

booger
04-03-2009, 05:47 PM
ROFL

that sinful boy would give up a nut to be a true bronc fan for a day.

vailpass
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
that sinful boy would give up a nut to be a true bronc fan for a day.

LMAO
God knows we have our quota of 'those' type of fans. You can keep yours.

booger
04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
LMAO
God knows we have our quota of 'those' type of fans. You can keep yours.

Don't tell nobody but your new Head Coach called to inquire about him. We just couldn't trade him. He's far to valuable with all the fun we have with Virgin, Gay, and WPI jokes just to name a few.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
You know what the shittiest part of this whole thing is?

That little snot rockets numbers and legend will no doubt climb to the heavens in that slop-assed division he will no doubt be crowned king of until Stafford develops and knocks his ass back down to reality.

And of course, the usual suspects will be right here to tell us all about it!

"SEE"! "SEE"! "I told you he was a God In Waiting"!

I need a drink...:shake:

rad
04-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Jay Cutler's IQ is 115........(it said so at the bottom of this page)

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Jay Cutler's IQ is 115........(it said so at the bottom of this page)

That just makes him cooler. He's a touchdown slingin' country bumpkin. God bless.