PDA

View Full Version : Life 1st week without cable TV... all hail the internet

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
tl;dr?

In my quest to find money saving alternatives we decided to make a pretty drastic, for us, change at the capone household.

Streaming TV over the net is nothing new but the Big 4 TV networks seemed to have recently realized that streaming their shows in HD would be a good thing for them. Between the major networks online, hulu, joost, & torrents for the rest... we have access to almost all our favorite shows and don't have to pay more than what we currently pay for Cable Internet access which is $45 per month for a 9mb connection.

Inspired by my findings, I put together a computer from parts I had left over from my last build and hooked it up to my network and our living room TV.

On monday I called the cable company and had our HD TV service cut. Up until then we had been paying $80 per month for basic HDTV cable service with DVR. *I fucking hate Cox*

Now its Friday and we have been able to watch everything we normally would have together. Admittedly, I am having problems finding her girly shows like What Not to Wear and 30 Minute Meals, though the latter really won't cause me to loose any sleep as I would rather jab rusty forks into my ears than listen to Rachel Ray say EVOO one more time.

The only hurdle left to clear is NFL Football. I am considering a few options to solve that problem. CBS.com will not stream the games, NFL.com won't stream the games within the US, and justin.tv won't cut it on quality alone.

My options are:

* Rabbit ears with a digital converter
* Go to a bar
* Go to a friends/parents house
* Chipping in with someone on a DTV Game Day and Superfan package which allows HD streaming to a PC.
* Get a TV card for my computer and take advantage of QAM (un-encrypted television through cable which the FCC made available and cable service providers are required to provide)

The TV card is more than likely the route I will take which should only cost me about $50.00 and time.

All told, we will save almost $1k per year by making the switch. Personally, I can think of several different things I would rather spend 1K a year on than over priced Cox Cable.

w00t!

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
$80/mo for cable is fucking insane. No way would I ever pay that.

RJ
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
If you go to the bar to watch the games you'll spend more than the K you saved.

What is a TV card?

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Although it might backfire on you if this catches on:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2009/tc20090331_726397.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
$80/mo for cable is ****ing insane. No way would I ever pay that.

No shit... right?

I must have missed a rate increase in the mail because that was ridiculous.

It was like

$50 for the HDTV service
$18 for the DVR
$12 for digital box rental

RJ
04-03-2009, 08:41 PM

What's it cost and what do you get in your neck of the woods?

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM

What is a TV card?

Its a card that you can install in your PC and it can receive television signal through a normal coax input.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/media/hauppauge_wintv_hvr1600.jpg

Although it might backfire on you if this catches on:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2009/tc20090331_726397.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

I am desperately hoping that Verizon Fios will hit Wichita before Cox gets the bright idea to find a new way to fuck me over.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
No shit... right?

I must have missed a rate increase in the mail because that was ridiculous.

It was like

$50 for the HDTV service
$18 for the DVR
$12 for digital box rental
That is ridiculous, especially the last two. I will never pay a monthly fee for what amounts to a VCR and a cable box.

What's it cost and what do you get in your neck of the woods?
I just have the Qwest el cheapo plan, it's $36/mo. I have around 50 channels though, that's more than enough for me.

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
That is ridiculous, especially the last two. I will never pay a monthly fee for what amounts to a VCR and a cable box.

I just have the Qwest el cheapo plan, it's $36/mo. I have around 50 channels though, that's more than enough for me.

Is it HD?

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Ten yard torrents has all the games, in varying quality.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Is it HD?
No. I don't even own an HDTV, nor do I have any plans of buying one anytime in the near future. I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost.

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Ten yard torrents has all the games, in varying quality.

Yeah... and I'm registered over there. The problem there is that it will be next to impossible for me to dodge all the people wanting to talk about the game and the text messages I will get until it is available on TYT.

Thanks tho.

Hey... still want to do the radio dub thing? I've got my end figured out if you wanna give it a try.

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
No. I don't even own an HDTV, nor do I have any plans of buying one anytime in the near future. I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost.

There is the rub. I have an HDTV and want to watch my programs in HD.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah... and I'm registered over there. The problem there is that it will be next to impossible for me to dodge all the people wanting to talk about the game and the text messages I will get until it is available on TYT.

Thanks tho.

Hey... still want to do the radio dub thing? I've got my end figured out if you wanna give it a try.

Abso-frickin-lutely...message me on yahoo.

Fairplay
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Pr-capone watch your spending in other ways how you entertain yourself, like you said a bar for example.

I bet you will be close to spending as much or more a month in trying to save that money.

pr_capone
04-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Pr-capone watch your spending in other ways how you entertain yourself, like you said a bar for example.

I bet you will be close to spending as much or more a month in trying to save that money.

Yeh... the bar idea is a last resort. My list was in no particular order.

I really do think I will go the card route thought the DTV avenue would be equally as entertaining since I would be able to watch ANY game I wanted streaming right into my PC.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
our Bill monthly.

3 tivos

2 DVR's

9 tvs

and internet

158.00 a month.

excessive
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Get some HD rabbit ears. I picked up a set at Lowe's for $25 for when the dish goes out during storms. I live in K.C. and all the local channels broadcast over air in HD. I can't tell the difference between over-the-air and satellite channels.

BWillie
04-04-2009, 06:30 PM

I pay $164. That includes the internet.

4 HD DVR's
internet
starz
hbo
cinnemax
and one other one

Mecca
04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't have any tivo's or DVR's, I don't care enough about what's on TV to be that into recording shit. If something is that important then I'll make time to watch it.

Hydrae
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't have any tivo's or DVR's, I don't care enough about what's on TV to be that into recording shit. If something is that important then I'll make time to watch it.

If you ever get one, it will change how you watch television. I didn't believe that until I got one. You will be amazed if/when the day comes.

Hydrae
04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
pr, before you get too wrapped up in this check out this thread in the media forum about possible changes in how you pay for the internet connections. This could cause you to rethink whether this saves you money if it comes into being in your area.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205253

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Good for you dude. I was paying $160 a month and called Comcast and told them I was dumping them on their collective asses. They ended up persuading me to stay but only because they cut 15 channels and my home phone (we never ever used) from me and shaved my bill down to $90 a month ala carte style.

That is out the door and includes digital basic, hd, dvr, and 16mb cable internet. Oh, and the NFL network and 6 other sports channels.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM

I got Cox in Omaha because I wasn't in Qwest's area or some crap like that... otherwise, I don't know how Cox could survive against that. I was paying about $20 more a month in Omaha than with TWC in KC for basic cable and internet, and then they bumped it to $98/month a few months ago, so I canceled.

On top of that, their spam filtering sucked and I got fewer channels than TWC... it was a raping of epic proportions.

Bugeater
04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I got Cox in Omaha because I wasn't in Qwest's area or some crap like that... otherwise, I don't know how Cox could survive against that. I was paying about $20 more a month in Omaha than with TWC in KC for basic cable and internet, and then they bumped it to $98/month a few months ago, so I canceled.

On top of that, their spam filtering sucked and I got fewer channels than TWC... it was a raping of epic proportions.
Qwest cable is only available west of I-680 (which I am by about 1000 feet :D), and Cox would survive anyway because Qwest doesn't offer any HD or digital packages, those who want that stuff have no choice but to deal with Cox.

Skip Towne
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Qwest cable is only available west of I-680 (which I am by about 1000 feet :D), and Cox would survive anyway because Qwest doesn't offer any HD or digital packages, those who want that stuff have no choice but to deal with Cox.

Cocks Cable is the worst.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 07:46 PM

That sucks. I hated seeing all the commercials bashing Qwest, and they even have a billboard outside the Qwest Center that says "Leaving Qwest?" (it is kinda clever). Hopefully people continue canceling due to the outrageous prices and abundance of internet options.

Bugeater
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
That sucks. I hated seeing all the commercials bashing Qwest, and they even have a billboard outside the Qwest Center that says "Leaving Qwest?" (it is kinda clever). Hopefully people continue canceling due to the outrageous prices and abundance of internet options.
Cox really pisses me off with their advertising, they are deceptive with it. For example, every time NU has a PPV game, they'll start running cleverly worded commercials making it sound like the only way you can get the game is if you have Cox. I know I've mentioned before that I had a run in with them nearly 20 years ago, and vowed to never give them another cent of my money, and I never have.

JOhn
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
DTV for me now. Only cable option here is Bresnan, and they suck & overpriced

04-04-2009, 07:57 PM
our Bill monthly.

3 tivos

2 DVR's

9 tvs

and internet

158.00 a month.

I pay $164. That includes the internet.

4 HD DVR's
internet
starz
hbo
cinnemax
and one other one

You guys are insane. This is why cable gets away with the crap they do. People will still buy it.

Skip Towne
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
You guys are insane. This is why cable gets away with the crap they do. People will still buy it.

I won't. I haven't been on cable since 1987.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
our Bill monthly.

3 tivos

2 DVR's

9 tvs

and internet

158.00 a month.

Holy crap, do you have 17 kids?

Read a book, FFS.

(j/k... sort of)

04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I won't. I haven't been on cable since 1987.I pay the bare minimum and get the QAM channels. Good enough for me. Anything else I can stream over the net.

Bugeater
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I won't. I haven't been on cable since 1987.
Shit, DTV nails you for every little thing they can as well.

pr_capone
04-04-2009, 10:33 PM
pr, before you get too wrapped up in this check out this thread in the media forum about possible changes in how you pay for the internet connections. This could cause you to rethink whether this saves you money if it comes into being in your area.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205253

I eagerly await the day that Verizon Fios makes it to Wichita.

$60 a month for a 20mb connection with no cap.

Fairplay
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I eagerly await the day that Verizon Fios makes it to Wichita.

$60 a month for a 20mb connection with no cap.

I'm sorry. I didn't know you lived in Wichita.

My condolences.

acesn8s
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
No. I don't even own an HDTV, nor do I have any plans of buying one anytime in the near future. I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost.16 games a year

KC2004
04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
As a bar manager this is ur only good option:

Go to a bar!!!

04-04-2009, 11:23 PM
16 games a yearScrew that. 19 games a year.

acesn8s
04-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Screw that. 19 games a year.What team have you been following? After 16 I'm crying so much that I wouldn't want to ruin the HD.:banghead:

keg in kc
04-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I think I'm nearly $150 a month, with just one dvr, no HD, HBO my only premium and roadrunner.

googlegoogle
04-05-2009, 02:31 AM
The prob with HDTV is that it's still the same crappy network channels on regular standard tv.

Sports are the only good thing about it.

Don't need HD MTV, HD BET or HD Food TV whatever. HD Monopoly if you ask me.

pr_capone
04-05-2009, 02:33 AM
The prob with HDTV is that it's still the same crappy network channels on regular standard tv.

Sports are the only good thing about it.

Don't need HD MTV, HD BET or HD Food TV whatever. HD Monopoly if you ask me.

HD Food I can deal with.

I love the show Good Eats.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm at about 150 a month with separate DTV and Cable bills. I have total choice + on DTV, and 10 Mbps on Cable. I'm thinking about going to a 20 MB FiOPs line, though.

Skip Towne
04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Shit, DTV nails you for every little thing they can as well.

I pay $25 per month.

wild1
04-05-2009, 09:24 AM
is that all it costs, $80 for cable and internet? maybe that is expensive in the middle of ks, but mine costs $30 more than that.

wild1
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM

especially if there are two of you. i bet you spend double at the bar that you'd spend on cable in a month

pr_capone
04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
is that all it costs, $80 for cable and internet? maybe that is expensive in the middle of ks, but mine costs $30 more than that.

That is not including Internet. Internet is another $45.

googlegoogle
04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if you get Espn on QAM?

How many channels on QAM?

found this but it's vague. http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui/US:66207

pr_capone
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Can anyone tell me if you get Espn on QAM?

How many channels on QAM?

found this but it's vague. http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui/US:66207

No ESPN

Channel lineups will be different for every area.

In Wichita we have the Big 4 plus MyTV, PBS, and some other random junk.

BWillie
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Anybody know who the cable provider is in Olathe? I just bought a house there near 135th and Murlen. Hope they are cheaper than Time Warner

tate2133
04-06-2009, 11:05 PM
get one of these and put it in a buddies house...if he has DTV just pay for a reciever to be dedicated to it, then you guys can also split Sunday ticket

http://www.myhava.com/products.html

you can get 70 bucks off the newest one now

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I was just looking at one.

But if my buddy has Sunday ticket, why bother with the unit if I can just stream directly from DTV's site?

BWillie
04-06-2009, 11:13 PM
WTF is DTV?

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM
WTF is DTV?

Direct TV

tate2133
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, u would have access to every channel that way, not just sunday ticket...and also you would have it mobile with you, ie you could watch it anytime anywhere there is an internet connection...would be ha heck of alot better interface id imagine

MahiMike
04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Awesome. I've been thinking about the same thing. We have a wireless hub in our house and can get this thru our laptop. Need to figure out how to get it from laptop to big screen. Cord under the rug?

I've been working out of town w/o a TV for 8 mos. Don't miss it at all.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
04-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Holy crap, do you have 17 kids?

Read a book, FFS.

(j/k... sort of)

No kids :)

Skip Towne
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
get one of these and put it in a buddies house...if he has DTV just pay for a reciever to be dedicated to it, then you guys can also split Sunday ticket

http://www.myhava.com/products.html

you can get 70 bucks off the newest one now

Or just take that receiver to your house and put up a dish. They don't know where the receivers are.

RNR
04-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Or just take that receiver to your house and put up a dish. They don't know where the receivers are.

For Gods sake stop! Skip is a double agent and is setting you guys up! The cable companies know where you live, they know where you sleep, your familys will weep over the things they are going to do to you :eek:

pr_capone
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
For Gods sake stop! Skip is a double agent and is setting you guys up! The cable companies know where you live, they know where you sleep, your familys will weep over the things they are going to do to you :eek:

Completely off topic...

We are having our Poker Run on the 19th up at Alef's. I think I recall reading that you ride... right? lol You should come out! 3 live bands, BBQ Sammiches, biker games, and some really nice door prizes (like $100 gift certs).

RNR
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Completely off topic...

We are having our Poker Run on the 19th up at Alef's. I think I recall reading that you ride... right? lol You should come out! 3 live bands, BBQ Sammiches, biker games, and some really nice door prizes (like $100 gift certs).
I used to not anymore, I might stop by and see if I know anyone

Skip Towne
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Completely off topic...

Will there be a wet T-shirt contest?