PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any CP Pilots?

Dayze
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Are there any pilots here on CP?

Just curious; I've always wanted to experience flying an aircraft, but was never really quite sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions?

Bowser
04-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Reerun_KC flies lear jets. He basically has the life I want, professionally speaking.

Kyle DeLexus
04-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I want to learn how to fly a helicopter. Someday I'll do that. If not a heli then a regular plane.

Buehler445
04-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Reerun is your man.

jeff h
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
lurker here...been flying professionally since 91. I just started flying helicopters. They are twice as fun as airplanes and over twice as much to learn with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle DeLexus
04-03-2009, 11:24 PM
lurker here...been flying professionally since 91. I just started flying helicopters. They are twice as fun as airplanes and over twice as much to learn with.
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL: That's about what I figured. I'm actually not a heights guy and I think taking off while flying a plane would scare the shit out of me. So I'd prefer helicopters.

Smed1065
04-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Reerun_KC flies lear jets. He basically has the life I want, professionally speaking.

Glad you made that obvious.

Stewie
04-04-2009, 06:02 AM

Just curious; I've always wanted to experience flying an aircraft, but was never really quite sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions?

I know two people who have had their training here. They gave it very high marks for instruction. There are probably others around the area but this is the one I've heard about.

http://airassociatesinc.com/flightschoolandrentals.htm

jeff h
04-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I know two people who have had their training here. They gave it very high marks for instruction. There are probably others around the area but this is the one I've heard about.

http://airassociatesinc.com/flightschoolandrentals.htm

good people at air associates. also there is a company on the west side of downtown airport that i've heard good things about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
04-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Reerun is your man.

Before he landed in the Hudson River, Sully Sullenberger had to take a pay cut. He said the industry could no longer affod to hire the best and the brightest people. Reetard is living proof of that.

WilliamTheIrish
04-04-2009, 07:09 AM
It can't be that hard. They put a monkey in space 50 years ago.

And they've dumbed it down enough now that a monkey who couldn't compete in a 3rd grade spelling bee has a license to fly.

JOhn
04-04-2009, 07:16 AM
It can't be that hard. They put a monkey in space 50 years ago.

And they've dumbed it down enough now that a monkey who couldn't compete in a 3rd grade spelling bee has a license to fly.

LMAO

That's almost true, from what I hear. We have a lot of pilots stay here with us. Bunch from NetJets ( timeshare aircraft leasing ) they all complain how it's not so much flying anymore, but watching the plane fly & being there to entertain the passengers.

Skip Towne
04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Fighter pilots call transport pilots "bus drivers"

JOhn
04-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Fighter pilots call transport pilots "bus drivers"

LMAO

Nice to see someone else has a wealth of useless info, and get to enterject it into a conversation upon occasion.

jeff h
04-04-2009, 07:42 AM
:LOL: That's about what I figured. I'm actually not a heights guy and I think taking off while flying a plane would scare the shit out of me. So I'd prefer helicopters.

Actually, a normal helicopter takeoff is a lot more "awkward" than an airplane. The takeoffs you see helicopters make on tv (where they lift off and go straight up) are not normal but max performance takeoffs. A normal t.o. from a hover is to lower the nose, pick up airspeed then climb. The lowering the nose first and looking at all the concrete or grass makes most people a little uneasy.

BTW...I have never seen a fear of heights stop anyone from learning to fly. I can't seem to get off a ladder onto my roof but I have never had the least fear of heights while I was in an airplane or helicopter.

Go take an intro flight. They cost under a $100 for an airplane and about $150 for a helicopter. You will get to fly some (since a monkey can do it) and you'll see if it's for you. One warning, you will be bit by the flying bug and you will be forever figuring out how you can pay for more flights.
Posted via Mobile Device

damaticous
04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
You can go to any airport and speak with a trainer. Ask them if they can take you up for a one time lesson to see if this is something you'd like to do. Most, if not all, would be more than willing to take you up for the rental fee of the airplane...maybe free. I don't know.

Demonpenz
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
rerun_kc (who god bless him thinks herm edwards is a good talent evaluator) He flies jets and jacks off on hooter girls faces

58-4ever
04-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Any suggestions?

I just got my hours in order to fly by myself! I'm lucky enough to live about 2 miles away from the OU airport. Their ground school and flight lessons were actually extremely reasonable. You should find a reputable place near you and go for it. You can actually go without ground school if you can find a book to study and take the FAA test on your own, but I needed the structure.

58-4ever
04-04-2009, 09:25 AM
rerun_kc (who god bless him thinks herm edwards is a good talent evaluator) He flies jets and jacks off on hooter girls faces

HA! LJS girls are much better! LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I used to be a pilot but it became boring therefore I decided to change professions.

Discuss Thrower
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I took a check flight last week, hopefully will begin getting lessons / ground instruction this coming summer.

CoMoChief
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I flew for a few years then quit. Started when I was 12. It was fun and I should start doing it again. I could prob fly a Cesna 172 if I had to, but thats about it.

Dayze
04-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Great info Gents; I think I'm defintely going to look into some local airports/schools etc for a into flight. I'm farily certain I'll enjoy the heck out of it and be 'bitten' as some have mentioned.

I would be curious to see the employment stats for the profession; is it something that's worth spending X amount of time and Y in $ to pursue etc. And, if one were to get a professional license, would the hours & experience etc be carried over/applied to a commercial license etc. That would be cool.

Dayze
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Go take an intro flight. They cost under a $100 for an airplane and about $150 for a helicopter. You will get to fly some (since a monkey can do it) and you'll see if it's for you. One warning, you will be bit by the flying bug and you will be forever figuring out how you can pay for more flights.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good info!

jeff h
04-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I would be curious to see the employment stats for the profession; is it something that's worth spending X amount of time and Y in $ to pursue etc. And, if one were to get a professional license, would the hours & experience etc be carried over/applied to a commercial license etc. That would be cool.

They are not good. You'll start out in the $20's teaching others to fly or if you're lucky flying single engine cargo. That's after you spend $70,000 to get the CFI. The military route is a much better deal if that appeals to you. I have heard they are short. The airlines are not hiring so the industry is pretty stagnant right now.

notorious
04-04-2009, 12:37 PM
They are not good. You'll start out in the $20's teaching others to fly or if you're lucky flying single engine cargo. That's after you spend $70,000 to get the CFI. The military route is a much better deal if that appeals to you. I have heard they are short. The airlines are not hiring so the industry is pretty stagnant right now.

Bingo.

I came out 50,000 in debt from Spartan only to jump into a huge $15/hour instruction $20/hour for charter. Hourly rates are only when the engine is running BTW. It was very hard to afford anything for years.

Instruction is very fulfilling for the first few years, then gets very repetative. Hours are odd, and you never get paid what your education demands. Hell, 20 out of 21 of my students passed their checkrides on their first try, yet I never saw one raise.

Getting to the good paying airline jobs is like being a college football player trying to go pro, only a few make it to the big times and get the big pay day.

The way the airlines are hiring it would be a risk to enroll now.

I did the charter pilot/instructor job for 7 years, now I am an independent who gets 5-15 hours a week flying great people to some nice places. I own two other businesses that bring home the real money.

It takes a certain person to take a pilot career all the way. Young, single, and wealthy.

Dayze
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Yikes.

So, it's 70k (roughly etc) to obtain the commercial license?

What benefit is there to a Private license (i'm sure you can only split costs with folks and not 'charge' them etc)? Is it common for someone with a PL to use it to travel etc?

sorry, probably dumb questions, but I'm extremely new to this stuff.

Dayze
04-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Bingo.

I came out 50,000 in debt from Spartan only to jump into a huge $15/hour instruction $20/hour for charter. Hourly rates are only when the engine is running BTW. It was very hard to afford anything for years.

Instruction is very fulfilling for the first few years, then gets very repetative. Hours are odd, and you never get paid what your education demands. Hell, 20 out of 21 of my students passed their checkrides on their first try, yet I never saw one raise.

Getting to the good paying airline jobs is like being a college football player trying to go pro, only a few make it to the big times and get the big pay day.

The way the airlines are hiring it would be a risk to enroll now.

I did the charter pilot/instructor job for 7 years, now I am an independent who gets 5-15 hours a week flying great people to some nice places. I own two other businesses that bring home the real money.

It takes a certain person to take a pilot career all the way. Young, single, and wealthy.

So is pursuing a commercial license worth it if you plan on not making it a "40 hour week" job; like, keeping your 'real job' and flying when you can etc?

jeff h
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Yikes.

So, it's 70k (roughly etc) to obtain the commercial license?

What benefit is there to a Private license (i'm sure you can only split costs with folks and not 'charge' them etc)? Is it common for someone with a PL to use it to travel etc?

sorry, probably dumb questions, but I'm extremely new to this stuff.

It looks like 70 may have been exagerated (may have been helicopter training someone told me about). Check out http://www.atpflightschool.com/ They show 55k. They aren't a bad school if they are close to where you live. I did one of my licenses with them.

The private license will allow you to fly just about anywhere in the us and some international (keep in mind the airplane you'll be flying can't fly very far maybe 400 miles on one tank) so don't get any ideas of flying to Europe and even then they have crazy rules anyway.

Lot's of people get the private license and it will definitely be a good test to see if you want or are serious about it. You can do that at just about any small public airport in the country. Some are better than others.

Another thing I recommend to people who ask me about learning to fly is go to the library and pick up a course for the written exam. Go to http://www.kingschools.com/ look for the private written exam prep and then try and find it at the local library. If you can find it at the library, you can prepare yourself for the written exam and see if it's interesting or sucks.

notorious
04-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I suggest getting your private and instrument. If the market for pro pilots grows, you can earn your commercial, which most of it is solo anyway, along with a few extra maneuvers. Getting your ticket with a local instructor instead of a professional school will save you a lot of $$$$ if you have the cash to do it. Schools can get you the financing, but their operating cost is HUGE due to insurance, which gets passed on to you with some added on.

BTW, it doesn't mean jack if you earned your license and ratings through a renowned university or Joe Blow at the local airport. It's all the same to a company who is hiring.

Dayze
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Excellent info guys! It's much appreciated.
I checked out the the link you guys provided and they had a breakdown of the Private - which based on your recommendation I could move towards instrument etc(http://airassociatesinc.com/Training%20Packages.htm)

Are these fees roughly in line with what one should expect to pay? about $6200 for Private; and $6000 for instrument.

I wonder if the $ for the flight school is something where you'd need to attend for 2 straight weeks etc; or something you can draw down against a few times per week while still keeping the 'day job'.

notorious
04-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I always had the best results from students that flew 3-4 times a week. That gave them time to review what they learned, read up on what they did wrong, and prepare for the next lesson. It also allowed them time to understand and correlate the info between the books and actually doing it, making them better long-term pilots.

I do not have first hand experience with the "Ram you through it" two week courses. From what I have heard from people that have taken those courses is this; they earned their tickets very quickly, but when it came to real world flying they were lacking. In other words they had perfect weather for two weeks, ended up doing everything in prime conditions, but after they had their ticket and some IFR moved in, they didn't trust themselves to go.

I have done many bi-annuals and the quick course people usually did OK, but their training obviously was directed at rote memory as apposed to actually understanding the information. They had a harder time at problem solving on the fly (no pun intended LOL)under less-than standard conditions.

If one were to mix the quick school in with some good instruction afterwards, they would probably be much better off.

University training is great, but expensive. You are surrounded by people that think the same way you do, which is really neat. Everyone is on the same page, and the training is very structured with frequent check-flights and testing to make sure you are being trained correctly. It sucks when the student loans start coming in, though. Wash-outs are very heavy, also. I started with 35 in my class and only 3 of us graduated. OUCH!

I have 4000+ hours, and have been to all four corners of the country along with Mexico and Canada. I am still a young pup compared to a lot of pilots, though. It is a wonderful job until it comes down to paying the bills and setting up for retirement.

Dayze
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Bump -

Ok (gang),

I'm still seriously considering this.

I've come to the conclusion that I can not remain in my 'career' (if you want to call it that) for much longer - let alone another 20+ years. I do not enjoy a single aspect of the job/career, and it has been effecting my mood etc for 2+ years - in a negative way.

Also; i have 1 year left to utilize my GI Bill benefits; which according to some research will allow about 25-30k to apply towards a flight school. Honestly, I think of all the crap I endured during the military and to have not yet applied it to anything makes me a bit.....irked. My own fault.
I don't think I can apply it to a normal '4-yr degree', as I have no interest in going to school for a generic degree etc. And, I wouldn't have any idea as to what area of study I should focus on etc. Not to mention it would take 8 + years I suspect.

Are there benefits to attending one of the big flight schools? Or can you attain the same certifications in roughly the same amount of time for less money? For me, if I were to make the decision, the 5 months of training would be worth the money if it's the alternative to spending god knows how long acquiring the same credentials/certs. And, the fact the GI Bill will put a sizable dent into the expense.

I'm not looking to become a pilot to make a lot of money; if that happens eventually with experience etc...then fine. But for now, I figure if I could have a 'career' that I would enjoy and make nearly the same as I'm making now (which isnt' a lot...believe me) I would be good with that. I figure I'll never be rich anyway so being satisfied professionally goes a long way in my book.

..I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

Thoughts/advice from CPers is always appreciated.

-Dayze

Donger
08-26-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know if I'd call myself a pilot, but I can and have flown a few different aircraft.

Frazod
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Before he landed in the Hudson River, Sully Sullenberger had to take a pay cut. He said the industry could no longer affod to hire the best and the brightest people. Reetard is living proof of that.

Poor Reerun - if only he'd squandered his education and took a job installing toys in other people's houses, instead of flying jets for a living, then he wouldn't be such a loser. LMAO

Bane
08-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm a pilot,but not in a plane.I have a master license to operate tow boats ranging from 50-1100 tons on the western rivers and it tributaries.I currently work on the upper Mississippi river in the St Louis area.We were called pilots for many years untill the coast guard changed the wording defining us as master of inland towing vessels.Captain is more commonly used but I still tell everyone I'm a boat pilot.

Brock
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Tough, tough business to break into.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Poor Reerun - if only he'd squandered his education and took a job installing toys in other people's houses, instead of flying jets for a living, then he wouldn't be such a loser. LMAO

ROFL

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Any suggestions?

IF you want, I can send you a PM with my #, would be thrilled to talk to you and some options you might have..

Besides flying Jets, I have started my own flight school/rental company. I can talk to you about that and prices we offer. IF you have the time and interest, we can work something out and you can come here to learn.

Just let me know...

Dayze
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
IF you want, I can send you a PM with my #, would be thrilled to talk to you and some options you might have..

Besides flying Jets, I have started my own flight school/rental company. I can talk to you about that and prices we offer. IF you have the time and interest, we can work something out and you can come here to learn.

Just let me know...

That would be great! It's appreciated.
What is a convenient time to speak about this?

Thanks, Reerun

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Dayze - Sent you a PM.

DeepPurple
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
...I have never seen a fear of heights stop anyone from learning to fly. I can't seem to get off a ladder onto my roof but I have never had the least fear of heights while I was in an airplane or helicopter.

I'm afraid of heights, I haven't even flown in an airliner since 1982. I even hate to drive over high bridges. However, in 1986 I passed my private written exam, got my flight physical and received about 20 hours of dual instruction in a Cessna 152 and soled in the pattern twice making numerous touch and goes. Unfortunately my instructor got a good job and moved out of state and I lived in a little hick town in Georgia and there was no one else to give lessons, thus ended my flying days. It's probably a good item to have on your bucket list.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm a veteran X-Wing pilot. The Imperial Tie Fighter pilot corps fears my callsign.

http://www.cpinternet.com/dwagner2/sfcons/CONv0620.jpg

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM

:clap:

notorious
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Being a prof. pilot if the ultimate bachelor job. You get to fly to many different locations, meet all kinds of different women (wink, wink), and all of this is on the company dime.

If you are a family man, good luck. You HAVE to fly to many different locations, meet all kinds of different women, and all of this is on the company dime. Scary stuff for a wife and kids at home. Divorces are even higher than the norm in this profession.

BTW, where do you fly out of Reerun?

CoMoChief
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I can fly small single engine planes......mostly like Cessna 172's, that was a while back. I would be rusty if I jumped in a plane and just took off, but if I had to get away from the cops, I could do it. I still fly my grandfather's Ultra light up in Illinois whenever I go up there. Those are a lot of fun I think at least. Took my instruments test back when I was 16, My dad has my log book somewhere. Like I said I havent done this in a while.

Discuss Thrower
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I just took my first solo flight last weekend and have a total of 14 hours in Piper Cherokee Warrior IIs from this summer. Things are going to be much slower now that I'm not living close to my flight school.

Demonpenz
08-26-2009, 04:05 PM
i spend a good amount of time high

KC native
08-26-2009, 04:10 PM
i spend a good amount of time high

:cuss: Damn you. You ruined the joke I was about to post.

JOhn
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
:clap:

Just curious who do you fly for?

We get a ton of pilots here in Cody @ our hotel. Mostly NetJets, Citation shares & Corporate AIR

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Being a prof. pilot if the ultimate bachelor job. You get to fly to many different locations, meet all kinds of different women (wink, wink), and all of this is on the company dime.

If you are a family man, good luck. You HAVE to fly to many different locations, meet all kinds of different women, and all of this is on the company dime. Scary stuff for a wife and kids at home. Divorces are even higher than the norm in this profession.

BTW, where do you fly out of Reerun?

Wiley Post...

I have zero problem staying away from women... There isnt one out there that can replace the little hottie I have at home... Thanks but no thanks.

We have spoke before over PM's....

BTW, you need any help? Things are kind of slow right now.

PM me and lets talk.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Just curious who do you fly for?

We get a ton of pilots here in Cody @ our hotel. Mostly NetJets, Citation shares & Corporate AIR

Private owners here in OKC. I would love to work for any one of those three, but still have some dues to pay before I can jump into one of those killer gigs...

Also the economy has the pilot ranks stale right now. It might take a year or two before things start moving again...

JD10367
08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
A friend of mine is a pilot. He went to a flight school in Tulsa. Then he came back to New England and was doing some flight instructor stuff, moved up in his ratings (single, twin engine, passenger carrying, etc.,.). I went up with him once, way back in the early 90s IIRC. A little single-engine plane: cramped, noisy, and very reminiscent of my 1978 Datsun. It was great fun. He moved on to flying commercially for small commuter airlines, regional turboprops for USAir, and even some cargo planes for FedEx or UPS, can't remember which. I think it's a tough industry, with a lot of regulation and a lot of hierarchy (older more established pilots get better pay, better routes, bigger and newer planes).

IIRC plane pilots and chopper pilots have different views and temperaments. I remember in the small airport office, they had a picture of a plane that said, "This is your brain," and then a picture of a helicopter that said, "This is your brain on drugs". Helicopters look tremendously fun but very complicated, and when stuff goes wrong you're in very deep shit.

notorious
08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=JD10367;6004387]A friend of mine is a pilot. He went to a flight school in Tulsa. \QUOTE]

It wasn't Spartan by any chance, was it?

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Any suggestions?

Great speaking to you today on the phone.... I hope it helped you in your choices you are looking to make.

Look forward to meeting you and yours.

Inspector
08-27-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm a pilot,but not in a plane.I have a master license to operate tow boats ranging from 50-1100 tons on the western rivers and it tributaries.I currently work on the upper Mississippi river in the St Louis area.We were called pilots for many years untill the coast guard changed the wording defining us as master of inland towing vessels.Captain is more commonly used but I still tell everyone I'm a boat pilot.

I think this would be pretty cool. I enjoying flying and have flown all over the world - as a passenger. (Dad was boss at the TWA overhaul base and we flew for free), but I wouldn't want the responsibility of others lives in my hands.

But being in a boat on the water sounds lile it would be a fun and interesting job.

Dayze
08-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Great speaking to you today on the phone.... I hope it helped you in your choices you are looking to make.

Look forward to meeting you and yours.

Thanks Reerun; it diefnitely helped. I have some good information to expand upon to help make a decision etc. :clap:

Donger
08-27-2009, 08:53 AM
A friend of mine is a pilot. He went to a flight school in Tulsa. Then he came back to New England and was doing some flight instructor stuff, moved up in his ratings (single, twin engine, passenger carrying, etc.,.). I went up with him once, way back in the early 90s IIRC. A little single-engine plane: cramped, noisy, and very reminiscent of my 1978 Datsun. It was great fun. He moved on to flying commercially for small commuter airlines, regional turboprops for USAir, and even some cargo planes for FedEx or UPS, can't remember which. I think it's a tough industry, with a lot of regulation and a lot of hierarchy (older more established pilots get better pay, better routes, bigger and newer planes).

IIRC plane pilots and chopper pilots have different views and temperaments. I remember in the small airport office, they had a picture of a plane that said, "This is your brain," and then a picture of a helicopter that said, "This is your brain on drugs". Helicopters look tremendously fun but very complicated, and when stuff goes wrong you're in very deep shit.

That's because helicopters don't really fly; they beat the air into submission.

Norman Einstein
08-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I was a pilot at one time in my life, but I was promoted to cutter.

JD10367
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Dunno, but I think it was sizable, 'cause he went all the way from New England to attend. He said his time there made him realize that the song about "livin' on Tulsa time" was NOT a joke. He said things there are, uh, different, LOL.

JD10367
08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
That's because helicopters don't really fly; they beat the air into submission.

Until the engine cuts out. No thanks. At least in a plane I might be able to glide to a landing somewhere. The words "auto-rotate" make my scrotum withdraw into my body. :eek:

Dayze
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Bump -

Reerun; chek yer PM.

Discuss Thrower
08-31-2009, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=JD10367;6004387]A friend of mine is a pilot. He went to a flight school in Tulsa. \QUOTE]

That's where my flight instructor went.