PDA

View Full Version : Computers DD-WRT

bishop_74
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Anyone upgraded their routers yet. Curious what they thought of the software, or if they had any problems.

irishjayhawk
04-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I haven't done it but I've wanted to for a while. It doesn't support the version of Linksys router I currently have. Or it didn't last I checked, anyway.

Also, there's a firmware called Tomato. FYI.

bishop_74
04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Interesting. What I am looking for is something to boost my router signal. DD-WRT appears to do that. I would REALLY like to have command line access to the device as well so I can run ping and traces from the router if possible. Thanks for the heads up.

irishjayhawk
04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Interesting. What I am looking for is something to boost my router signal. DD-WRT appears to do that. I would REALLY like to have command line access to the device as well so I can run ping and traces from the router if possible. Thanks for the heads up.

I think you want DD-WRT then. Tomato, as far as I know, is more of a graphical admin firmware with usage charts and data manipulation. I don't think, but could be way off, that it amplifies signal, etc.

htismaqe
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
The thing about DD-WRT and Tomato though (we had this discussion a while back) is that there's dual-purpose routers/APs out there now that are far cheaper than the routers people are using for this.

irishjayhawk
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM
The thing about DD-WRT and Tomato though (we had this discussion a while back) is that there's dual-purpose routers/APs out there now that are far cheaper than the routers people are using for this.

I must have missed this. Can you explain?

Simplex3
04-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I've used it for years and never had an issue.

scorpio
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I've used it for years and never had an issue.

Same here, love it. Way better than than Linksys' "Fischer Price My First Network Device" interface.

scorpio
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM

DD-WRT does all of that, and well. Even in the micro package if you can't get your hands on a good old-school WRT-54G.

bishop_74
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
DD-WRT does all of that, and well. Even in the micro package if you can't get your hands on a good old-school WRT-54G.

I actually have a WRT310N. I see that they have a micro version for my device, but it says I need to do the micro then then full version. I am unable to fund a full version specific to my router. Do you think I should just use the generic for the version?

dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin
dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

AustinChief
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I use this one... http://openwrt.org/

scorpio
04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I actually have a WRT310N. I see that they have a micro version for my device, but it says I need to do the micro then then full version. I am unable to fund a full version specific to my router. Do you think I should just use the generic for the version?

dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin
dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

Yeah just flash the router with the mini version and then upgrade to the standard generic if you want after that.

07-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Has anyone tried this on the WRT54G2 at all? I just ordered one off of Newegg for $25 and am debating whether to give this DD-WRT a shot or just leave it as is. The DD-WRT site does say it supports my device but only for the micro version. What exactly does that mean?

J Diddy
07-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Has anyone tried this on the WRT54G2 at all? I just ordered one off of Newegg for $25 and am debating whether to give this DD-WRT a shot or just leave it as is. The DD-WRT site does say it supports my device but only for the micro version. What exactly does that mean?

It means your hardware is too large for it to handle. There my info isn't correct, but I gave you a lovely starting spot for your ego to bloom.